Kick module addition

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Kick module addition

Post by allboutbass » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi,

I wanna get a new kick module. I already have a Kickall that I like a lot, I modulate the hell out of it, normally with 4 separate envelopes and it sounds great!!!. Also have a Xbase09 which is amazing, an Mbase11 that sounds great but I wish it had more knobs. As well I have an Alpha Base, which I dig as well. Also a get god kicks out of Moog DFAM, which I didn't expect, a Moog Voyager and a Virus B, its got some good modulated kicks as well.

Today I received a Hexinverter BD9, OMG what a piece of crap, it was really disappointing, it doesn't go low enough and the sub oscillator is a joke, so I returned it right away today. Also when modulated it just didn't fire any thing groovy. Also it distorted very soon so it was impossible to get a deep round sound out of it as the sine wave isn't really a sine. Why not to provide a good sine wave as there is plenty of opportunities to damage it a bit later on !

I love kicks and really wanna get just another flavor, I was thinking about tiptop BD808, but I am afraid of the lack of modulation for pitch, but who knows may be it sounds great .. who knows ! So I wanted to know what is out there.

I know there are demos around but they are so deceiving. I thought I was getting an amazing module when I purchased the BD9, but it was not ... at all.

Thanks for any info.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Kick module addition

Post by lisa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm not sure I get what type of kicks you are after but SSF BDS is really flexible and sounds great, if you ask me. :tu:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:35 pm

I don't do drums that much, but when I do I like Dos Equis synthesizing my own. 808 style kicks are generally pretty simple and satisfying...

I have to say though, that I found Noise Engineering BIA really excellent at the job.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 pm

For premade kicks, I have a Bastl Tea Kick which does nicely for my uses. It's a tuneable Twin-T 808-based kick which has both a Trigger In connected to an internal variable-width pulse generator, and also an Audio In (labeled "WTF In") for some weird gnarly FSU fun.
Also worth keeping in mind that the dirty secret about a lot of "classic" 808 kick sounds is they they're heavily processed, usually involving some form of compression and/or soft-clipping to sound huge, and what is used to compress and/or distort them is often less well documented than the fact that the 808 was the source.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Jomox kick module. Tons of parameters can be tweaked. Sounds ace. You can sculpt hundreds of different kicks.

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 pm

ssf entity percussion can also get some interesting kicks, plus all the other percussion / mono synth sounds - killer drum voice module..

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allboutbass » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:54 am

lisa wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:19 pm
I'm not sure I get what type of kicks you are after but SSF BDS is really flexible and sounds great, if you ask me. :tu:
That SSF Entity Bass Drum seem to to be pretty good job. I just like all sort of kicks and like to have a wide palette of them

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allboutbass » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm
Jomox kick module. Tons of parameters can be tweaked. Sounds ace. You can sculpt hundreds of different kicks.
I would love to get a Mod Base 09 but is impossible to get one.

1960strat
Common Wiggler

Post by 1960strat » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 am

+1 on the SSF Module, it is awesome and very flexible
lisa wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:19 pm

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am

WMD Crater all the way

SSF BDS also very good and has a lot of additional functionality (e.g. the duck out jack, several inputs, etc.) and as a results takes almost double the space of Crater
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:25 am

for straight techno kicks or whatever, gotta throw in my hat for wmd crater. it's smaller than the ssf or jomox (if you can even find one nowadays), and sounds very good straight out of the box

edit: just read you already have an xbase, mbase and alphabase. think youre covered on kicks to be honest dude

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 pm

The SSF entity Bassdrum is indeed very flexible. It could go from 808 DB to hard 909 or going higher in the toms sounds. It sounds really FAT. And you can modulate lots of its params. It's a great kick module. You'll find tones of video demos in the MG page https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-st ... ynthesizer

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Wmd crater and BIA - the best for me
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:21 pm

allboutbass wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I was thinking about tiptop BD808, but I am afraid of the lack of modulation for pitch, but who knows may be it sounds great .. who knows !
It does sound great.

I regret not getting the Jomox drum modules when they were available.

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allboutbass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:39 am

For now I ordered the SSF Entity Kick, it seems pretty versatile and seems to have plenty of low end as to goes down to 8Hz, any way all things on paper appear amazing, sadly too many times they are not so. I might get the tiptop 808 in the future.

I will search for a jomox module until one shows up some where I hope. I love the Jomox sound.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 am

Nice! You'll have to have a tiny bit of patience with the BDS since it has so many parameters that affect each other; it's actually possible to get lost sometimes. :)
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 am

lisa wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 am
Nice! You'll have to have a tiny bit of patience with the BDS since it has so many parameters that affect eachother; it's actually possible to get lost sometimes. :)
Right, it indeed took me a while to get the range of kick I like, and to know which params to change according where I want to go. But it clearly worths it!

MirraMazDuur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MirraMazDuur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am

I have to second the bastl tea kick. It's good by itself (and the wtf in can add some fun noise of you're into that) , but what's really brought it to life for me recently is running out through the feedback modules Pre CR. It just adds that extra bit to it.

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allboutbass » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm

valouxxx wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 am
lisa wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01 am
Nice! You'll have to have a tiny bit of patience with the BDS since it has so many parameters that affect eachother; it's actually possible to get lost sometimes. :)
Right, it indeed took me a while to get the range of kick I like, and to know which params to change according where I want to go. But it clearly worths it!
I love getting lost ... anyway I am used to inter connected stuff, in fact I love that!

allboutbass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allboutbass » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:05 pm

OK, I finally went for the ENTITY BD module, couldn't be happier with it.

At first took me awhile but finally got the grips of it and I really like it, it is very versatile though not immediate. Has plenty of CV inputs. I went for the usual of mine and hook it up to four Doepfer envelopes and it does sound amazing. Now I long for the Erica BD. some day. Love Erica Synths Stuff.

Anyway the SSF Entity BD is a KEEPER !!!

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:39 pm

Not a kick module but I really like the kick I get from KOMA Vactrol SVF-201 filter with high resonance and pinging the CV input. It naturally has a nice pitch decay.

Obviously you’re not gonna get the varied sounds, but a bit of post processing afterward goes a long way.

I also like to layer samples on top.

My other module that I use for kicks a lot is BIA. But then again, that thing is like an entire percussion section, especially paired with Mimetic Digitalis modulating a bunch of stuff.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”