BPM and clocks based on time

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

BPM and clocks based on time

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 pm

I should know this shit because I studied for 18 month in computer-assisted sound design, but that was over a decade ago so please bear with me.

A BPM for exactly 1 minute would be 60 right? That is to say, if we can find a common division into what we call 1 minute, that would be seconds, and therefore our BPM would be 60.

If my main BPM was 60 and had a division of 5, then I would have a clock that was firing every 5 minutes? Divide 60 by 15 and that would be ever 15 minutes or every quarter hour?

I'm in the midst of composing a song based off of human time, with triggers firing different events on seconds, minutes, 5 minutes, 1/4 hour and 1/2 hours. The math seems simpler than I imagined it to be, but just wanted to double check that my math is right as I have a somewhat complicated setup between Tempi, PNW and some logic that seems to be forcing myself into 2nd guessing my approach.

Many appreciations in advance.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Re: BPM and clocks based on time

Post by VZvision » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm

It seems sounds since 60 BPM = 60 beats per minute = 1 beat per second...so /5 would yield 1 beat every 5 seconds = 60 beats every five minutes.

The only problem I’d really envisage is doing the math on something like PNW which is calculating its clock pulses at the outputs based on a PPQN setting with the multipliers and dividers. So you’d likely have to translate your math one more time to match whatever PPQN setting you have on PNW. Or maybe I’m just wayyyy overthinking that part :bang:

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 pm

VZvision wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm
It seems sounds since 60 BPM = 60 beats per minute = 1 beat per second...so /5 would yield 1 beat every 5 seconds = 60 beats every five minutes.

The only problem I’d really envisage is doing the math on something like PNW which is calculating its clock pulses at the outputs based on a PPQN setting with the multipliers and dividers. So you’d likely have to translate your math one more time to match whatever PPQN setting you have on PNW. Or maybe I’m just wayyyy overthinking that part :bang:
That's a very good point and I appreciate the thought! I had not considered PPQN at all so it's very relevant.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:28 pm

I can’t tell if this thread is trolling. In case it’s not: if you want one beat every minute, then you want one beat per minute, 1BPM. It’s right there in the name.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

The period is the inverse of the BPM. 1/BPM is the time between beats in minutes. Multiply by 60 seconds to convert to time of the period in seconds.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Clocks should never be based on time. ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”