Pulp Logic Utility 1u's

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Pulp Logic Utility 1u's

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm

I was looking at the 54hp lofi groovebox system by Perfect Circuit and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to replace those 1u utility modules( att verters/offsets/mixers and so on ) In my 3u skiff. What would be your choice for those utilities in a 3u format? I have plenty of room left in my skiff.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Pulp Logic Utility 1u's

Post by rayultine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm

the pulp logic attenuators and mixers are an awesome value. Like what kind of advice do you think you need here?

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm

I don't have a pulp logic case...I use 3u. How would you replace those utility modules in 3u's? What would be your picks? What would be your selection?

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm

I still have plenty of 3u utility modules (Octocontroller, Shades, many VCAs, Maths, and a Toppobrillo Stereomix). The 1u modules never really
"replaced" some of the more powerful utilities I have.

To me, it's been for simple one-function things that I don't want to waste 3u space with. The 1u is a cheap as chips way to put buffered mults in your rack. I have the MIDI Implant and the Output modules, which are also very economical. I have one FSR that I use a lot, three Att-Offs and two of the 3-channel mixers. They're great!

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 pm

oh, wait, i see what y'r saying. you want to know what Utilities would be good in 3u format based on the Pulp Logic tiles... yes?

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.
www.WillRage.org

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Everything 2HP makes. It probably sucks when you put them all next to each other. Tiles are legit. You can have a small system with one LFO one attenuator, one DC offset. One contact mic, one headphone port, one unity mixer, one 3 input OR combiner. One full wave rectifier. Try doing that in 48HP 3U only. You would have too much crap not enough VCO VCF. Kinks and ears will do it but tiles is like a modular kinks you can take what you need to save space. Synsi has a tube overdrive in tile format. Don't sleep on tiles. They are hard to sell so be ready for that.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:40 pm

I have both Happy Nerding MIA and PulpLogic Att-Off and I can say with confidence they use the same concentric dual knob. So in a sense you could think of MIA to be the cascading-mixing-mingling-attenuverting-offsetting big brother to Att-Vert for example.

I also have the PulpLogic multi and some of their logic modules, and they function like any other mult and logic component.

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 pm

I agree with the sentiment on tiles expressed here. When building my case, I specifically built it with two 1U rows just for simple utilities.

It’s a perfect place to park mults, simple attenuators, attenuverters, logic modules, S&H, etc. where you don’t need the extra features of 3U counterparts. That way you can leave room for more interesting modules in the 3U area.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Great guys! Thank you ! Mia was in my attention anyways, so I might consider it ! Is it easy to find? Is it still manufacturing?

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm

lmixl wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 pm
Great guys! Thank you ! Mia was in my attention anyways, so I might consider it ! Is it easy to find? Is it still manufacturing?
I got mine from Analogue Haven, not too long ago, but looks like they’re out of stock. Might want to drop them a line. Also Happy Nerding sells direct I believe.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:22 pm

I see, I saw others talking about 321frap tools or tiptop miso.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:23 pm

there are many MIA on reverb right now. no shortage.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Would you recommend a MI Blinds over the Mia? I suppose they both cover pretty much same features

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:49 pm

lmixl wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:28 pm
Would you recommend a MI Blinds over the Mia? I suppose they both cover pretty much same features
Hmm... good question. I have both, and I wouldn't choose one over the other, as although there maybe some overlap, they're different beasts.

I guess the best way of thinking Blinds (voltage controller polarizers) vs MIA is kind of like the same as the relationship between VCAs vs mixers or attenuators. One offers voltage control, the other doesn't, but they both have their use cases.

Like for example you can treat Blinds as a ring modulator by plugging an audio rate modulator in to the CV... you can't do that with MIA. On the MIA if you leave the inputs unplugged, it works as an offset. Blinds doesn't.

Hope that makes sense?

I am pretty new to modular myself, I just finished building my case, like about a month ago, so if anyone wants to correct me, please feel free to do so. I am certainly still learning what I can do with some of the modules I have and always learning new tricks.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

I appreciate! Wonder how much those specs would matter in this specific rack, beatbox/groovebox

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:27 pm

he is correct. ring modulation has many names. it is also called a four quadrant multiplier. both input signals can be bipolar. it always performs multiplication. a VCA is a two quadrant multiplier. it does multiplication in two quadrants. the other two quadrants have negative CV so there is nothing there. you can fake it by putting the CV into a module that blocks any negative voltages. this is called a half wave rectifier. there will be two kinds of half wave rectifiers depending on what it blocks and what goes through. a ring modulator can invert the phase of the audio depending on the CV input but a VCA can not. using the ring mod for low frequency like CV works the same as it does for audio. most things are DC coupled in eurorack for this reason. it makes it more versatile. a hip hop drum rack will be fine without a ring modulator. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:11 pm

There are 1u to 3u conversion panels available from Pulp Logic and Syinsi as well, if you want to give 1u a shot.

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:05 pm

Thank you guys! I already own Mutable instruments Blinds and Shades! I suppose those two would do the job exactly like all those pulp logic utilities.
There are soo many ways of building a groovebox ( module selection/functionality/features).

lmixl
Common Wiggler

Post by lmixl » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm

There is one thing I would like to change in that system. Instead of Numeric Repetitor I would like to use the Grayscale Algorhythm for a more visual easy control over steps. Pnw will offer the clock dividers and so on.

What do you guys think about it?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Those are both good modules but I don't know if I would put them together in a 54HP system. Watch Rickey Tinez on YouTube. He does a really great job of building small 54HP racks that make music or whatever. He shows off how compact and powerful noise engineering modules can be. Worth a watch. You could copy all those small racks. I was really impressed.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”