Moving my modular to an Arturia setup - advice?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

FraMauro
Common Wiggler

Moving my modular to an Arturia setup - advice?

Post by FraMauro » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:10 pm

I've realise that I'm not using sigificant parts of my mosular setup and I'm downsizing.

I mostly use it for sound mangling - running samples through delays, rainmaker etc. and I'd like to use it as a regular synth, processed through the modules.

I'm thinking of getting an Arturia Minibrute 2 with the double eurorack, Any suggestions?

Here's my thoughts on the Arturia rack. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1281817

My current setup is here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/492927

megarat
Common Wiggler

Re: Moving my modular to an Arturia setup - advice?

Post by megarat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 am

My modular journey was the opposite of yours: I started with a MiniBrute 2 and a 6U RackBrute, and then I ended up parting with the MB2 and going full-on racks only. (Well, technically I have a Linnstrument as a controller, but it only does MIDI out, it has no synthesis capabilities.)

The MB2 was great fun to play with, it had a great design as a standalone monosynth, and its features greatly encouraged creativity. I did come to the feeling, however, that it was a bit limiting as a "master modular console" and that I eventually outgrew it. My main gripes with it were (1) the limited ability it has to process external sound sources (if you keep your sound processing (mixing, effects, output) in the rack, then this may not bother you); and (2) once I got into the modular mindset, the hardwired routing of the MB2's semi-modular nature became more of a nuisance, in that I kept on having to remind myself how the functions were connected together, and there were some ways in which I wanted to use the MB2's features in a modular manner, but couldn't.

The 6U RackBrute cases are great. I currently have three of them and I recommend them wholeheartedly.

That said, I might be able to offer better advice if you elaborated on your vision for what your scaled-down rack will look like. What you have in that rack right now is a lot more than will fit in 89 + 84hp.
Last edited by megarat on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

FraMauro
Common Wiggler

Post by FraMauro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 am

I'm thinking of getting rid of all the stuff in the old big rack and just keeping the stuff I use all the time (plus modulation sources etc.

I find myself either using the modular for sample mangling or I end up just making a synth, hence the reason for the MiniBrute. I had a Microbrute and liked it, and I'm liking the look of demos of the MiniBrute 2

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:33 am

FraMauro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 am
I'm thinking of getting rid of all the stuff in the old big rack and just keeping the stuff I use all the time (plus modulation sources etc.

I find myself either using the modular for sample mangling or I end up just making a synth, hence the reason for the MiniBrute. I had a Microbrute and liked it, and I'm liking the look of demos of the MiniBrute 2
Sounds like a good approach for you, go for it.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 am

It is interesting how often threads about downsizing, at least in part, tend to be about buying new stuff. ;)

That said, I think it's an excellent idea to keep the stuff that you use all the time and perhaps sell the stuff you don't use.. definitely so if you know that you'll never use it.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:48 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 am
It is interesting how often threads about downsizing, at least in part, tend to be about buying new stuff. ;)
Great observation, it’s so true. I also know that I have started similar threads over the years - done the same thing before :lol:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:05 am

deltaphoenix wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:48 am
lisa wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 am
Great observation, it’s so true. I also know that I have started similar threads over the years - done the same thing before :lol:
Pfft ... you guys need to buy better drugs ... nobody here EVER does that.

:whistle:
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

Return to “Eurorack Modules”