FH-1 output midi clock as triggers via “clock sync’d LFO” [Help me!]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

reinert
Learning to Wiggle

FH-1 output midi clock as triggers via “clock sync’d LFO” [Help me!]

Post by reinert » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying for days to sync my eurorack with my Norns Shield using an FH-1. Here is a thread that helped me almost get there.

https://squarp.community/t/tip-how-to-s ... ramid/2979

I've been able to send all the correct cc commands and my FH-1 is outputting a square wave on channel 8. The problem is the recommended clock divider stops the clock completely. I set it back to the default which is "cc88,channel 13,val 12" which gives me what sounds like a divisor of two BUT not quite in time!

Have you ever stared at a lane of cars all with their indicators blinking?
I set an 8 bar sequence and replaced my gates with the clock. It starts out fine, after a few bars you can hear the notes slew, and then a couple of bars later I have phased one beat behind. if I send "cc88, channel 13, val 24" it sounds like I get a clock on every step but, same thing a couple of bars in and I'm out of phase.

I've tried incrementing the val from 11-26 to see if I can find something stable but 12 and 24 are the closest. All I want is simply for my midi to cv module to receive a tempo over midi and output it as cv. It should be easy with a module this flexible?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: FH-1 output midi clock as triggers via “clock sync’d LFO” [Help me!]

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:41 pm

I don't think this is a good way to do it. You have dinsync out and gate out. They both work perfectly. I don't see why you would send BPM to the FH-1 which is I think what went wrong here.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

reinert
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reinert » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:27 pm

So my goal is to run a sequence on the Norns and then somehow have my eurorack play in time with that sequence. in this instance, the only other hardware sequencer I have is the Melekko varigate 8+ which has a clock input. The FH-1 is also the only module that can 1) receive information from Norns 2) pass that information on to the rest of my rack in a way that is useful, Usually pitch and gate information but I need sync too.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 pm

Send a gate from norns if you want norns to be the master. Send the gate to norns if you want to slave it. don't use anything that is not a gate or a click track anywhere. All of this stuff works perfectly if you patch gates to gates. Clocks to clocks. Clocks to gates. Gates to clocks. Usb midi is for note information and CC value. BPM is not as good as midi track with quarter notes on some note pick one. Make a dummy track with C C C C all quarter notes then loop it. Midi is 96PPQ. You can make a 96PPQ dummy track for full resolution if you have clock dividers in euro. Ditch all that other stuff for clocks. Use it for a controller which is what it is for.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Eurorack Modules”