Starting with Eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Vekathul
Learning to Wiggle

Starting with Eurorack

Post by Vekathul » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 am

Hi everyone. After a period spent with VCV I decided to start in Eurorack. I took Behringer's Neutron, and now I would like to build a system where to insert it, to mainly create Dark Ambient textures, approximately 104hpx2. I like the idea of ​​staying hybrid, so I would always use the hardware coupled with VCV. Could you recommend some hardwared modules to start with? What configuration would you use? Thanks in advance.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Starting with Eurorack

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:40 am

do you need to send CV from VCV to the modular? do you want FX in the hardware rack? do you want filters? what is it that you don't like about VCV rack?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-8
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Vekathul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vekathul » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 am

Hello.
Yes, I have to send CVs from VCV, the idea would be to have sequencers and FX in VCV, then send CVs to the hardware, and return to VCV via the Audio module. For now it works well with the Neutron standalone, but with a Eurorack case I wouldn't know ... The only thing I don't like about VCV is that it's not "real", otherwise I love it!
I have seen es-8, but for now it is too expensive, is there a cheaper alternative?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am

It is not expensive. It is cheap. If you want to get something bigger, something old, read about MOTU DC coupled audio interface for volta. Get it used on ebay. But honestly I wouldn't. I want smaller gear that has good drivers and good support in all the major software. When you consider what all the sequencers cost in hardware, then consider the es-8 makes that available. A $5000 eurorack system shrinks down to a $3000 system while it takes up less space and increases in features. Maybe after buying behringer you expect that everything else will be cheap. Behringer is cheap. Eurorack can be cheap if you buy used or cheap new modules. I got a dual LPG for $50 delivered new with international shipping. Marbles is $300 or whatever I don't know. I think anything that is not a CV interface would be an expensive option. Native instruments has an overpriced crappy 2 channel CV interface with limited voltage range. Maybe check that out.

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:16 pm

I have a Neutron in my fledgling system. It’s a really good starting place as it offers so much for so little cash. A lot of people like to attenuate the oscillators going into the filter and/or vca, so that eats up the attenuators quickly, so I’d recommend getting some basic attenuators or attenuverters if you prefer. Mults are good too.

I also wanted a cycling function generator, so I got a make noise function, but will probably add or replace it with a Maths. I added a WMD Modbox too, which has some cool LFOs and a sample and hold. Added a couple regular ADSRs and a VC delay too. I can do a lot with this combo plus my Grandmother.

Good luck!

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:01 pm

I would get a decent filter - it's the weakest link in the Neutron IMO. Even cheap-ish ones like the Doepfer SEM one or Ripples sound so much better.

But... the Neutron is a great starting point. I had a Mother-32 which I replaced with a Neutron and don't regret it one bit - the patchbay has such a great array of utilities.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:01 pm
I would get a decent filter - it's the weakest link in the Neutron IMO. Even cheap-ish ones like the Doepfer SEM one or Ripples sound so much better.

But... the Neutron is a great starting point. I had a Mother-32 which I replaced with a Neutron and don't regret it one bit - the patchbay has such a great array of utilities.
I actually like the sound of the neutron filter, but you have to attenuate the oscillators first so you’re not pummeling it. The Neutron, whether intentional or not, is a distortion machine, haha. If you rein it in a bit it’s capable of some warmer/smoother sounds. That said, I agree a nice SEM or Roland filter would be a good match.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Check out the jove filter

This is a nice attenuator
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-st ... quad-atten

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:29 am

diggida wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 pm
I actually like the sound of the neutron filter, but you have to attenuate the oscillators first so you’re not pummeling it.
I have tried hard to like it but I just can't - and I love distortion! Have tried attenuation and all the tricks. It always sounds kind of muffled/lo-fi to me (and not in a good way). I will go back to it.

When I use it it tends to be as a HPF before an external LPF.

Other things that might be a good match

-wavefolder
-ring mod
-LFOs and/or envelopes that will loop at audio rates

I don't do much with MIDI CC control over the Neutron but I seem to remember that the implementation was pretty comprehensive. In that case you may be able to get away without something like an ES8 and convert your CVs from VCV rack to MIDI within VCV rack instead as a temporary solution. Also the 'assign' output of the Neutron is very useful for MIDI to CV conversion.

Vekathul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vekathul » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 am

Hi everyone, and thanks for your answers.

Having Neutron, and another VCO-VCF-VCA in the same system, is it possible to sequence in separate voices via VCV?
And how can I do it?
If I need es-8 I'll take it...

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:24 am

you could mult a single sequence to both the vco and the neutron - use a buffered mult to keep pitch

sequence an interval by tuning the VCO and neutron to different notes - c and g, for a fifth for example, c1 and c3, for 2 octaves - you can install a tuner on your phone, get a guitar tuner or get a module that has one (disting, otool, data)

you could use a sample and hold to keep one note longer than the other

you could use different rhythms (clock divisions, gate lengths, etc) to trigger the envelopes for the vcas of the euro voice and the neutron

you could combine all these techniques and whatever else you can dream up

you could also buy an es8 or es9 or a midi->cv module
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 am

Vekathul wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 am
Having Neutron, and another VCO-VCF-VCA in the same system, is it possible to sequence in separate voices via VCV?
And how can I do it?
An cheaper alternative to the Es8 would be a basic midi to CV converter box (or module).

Pretty sure you could do it with a Korg SQ1 which is cheap as chips and also serves as an excellent little hardware sequencer in it's own right.

The assign out of the Neutron will output the midi notes sent to the Neutron as CV (amongst other things like velocity and aftertouch I think) - I'd look into what that can do for you too.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 am

All well and good for pitch and gate but if you use the midi to CV converter to send midi CC then the resolution is 7 bits not 16bits. This is going to make your VCV LFO -> VCF sound like a zipper even if your midi to CV converter is 14bit or 16bit.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 am
All well and good for pitch and gate but if you use the midi to CV converter to send midi CC then the resolution is 7 bits not 16bits. This is going to make your VCV LFO -> VCF sound like a zipper even if your midi to CV converter is 14bit or 16bit.
True, though how much of a problem it actually is in practice depends on a number of factors. And the OP was talking about acquiring other modules that could handle this type of modulation in the analog domain.

You could pretty much get an SQ1 and Maths for the price of an Es8. Certainly if you bought Maths used.

If control via VCV is a long-term aim though then, yes, stumping up for an Es8 is probably the way to go.

Vekathul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vekathul » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Okay, I'll take es-8.
For the rest of the modules I will see what to do as I go on.
I was going to start with an Intellijel 7u 104hp case, I really like it, and I saw that it already has USB and integrated audio outputs.

Thanks a lot guys, your advice is precious.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”