How to upload wavetables to SWN ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

pfzzz
Common Wiggler

How to upload wavetables to SWN ?

Post by pfzzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 am

Hi, I recently acquired an SWN from 4ms... I found the software to make spheres, but I am lacking the knowledge on how to upload them.

Right now I also have an expert sleepers so I can upload via audio cable, but is there a usb solution or something simpler ?

RonDMC
Learning to Wiggle

Re: How to upload wavetables to SWN ?

Post by RonDMC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:52 am

Short answer: audio transfer only.

Check the section about recording your own spheres. It is pretty straightforward. If you're getting glitches you need to shift the audio buffer a few bits back or forth.

Long answer:
though the schematics contain an USB connector this USB port is not used in the firmware (likely the 4ms factory module PCBs might not even include the connector; my DIY SWN has it).

To avoid analog audio Transfer one needs basic coding knowledge to transfer the own spheres into text/number format and add to the stock spheres in the source code. When adding to the stock spheres the memory map needs to get adjusted.

So... Not really straightforward but still no rocket science :hmm:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:08 am

linker script memory map or some part of the SWN code? I think the linker script LMA VMA should not change it will be automatically extended by the compiler. maybe you are talking about something else that also has the name memory map but not THE memory map. not like you are injecting binary and cleaning up pointers or anything.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

pfzzz
Common Wiggler

Post by pfzzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 am

RonDMC wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:52 am
Short answer: audio transfer only.

Check the section about recording your own spheres. It is pretty straightforward. If you're getting glitches you need to shift the audio buffer a few bits back or forth.

Long answer:
though the schematics contain an USB connector this USB port is not used in the firmware (likely the 4ms factory module PCBs might not even include the connector; my DIY SWN has it).

To avoid analog audio Transfer one needs basic coding knowledge to transfer the own spheres into text/number format and add to the stock spheres in the source code. When adding to the stock spheres the memory map needs to get adjusted.

So... Not really straightforward but still no rocket science :hmm:

- nice to also meet you here :). I'm Omar if you remember me from the jam sessions

I have a beginner level C/C++ Knowledge, and checked out the github for 4ms SWN, it seems like firmware installation is quite an ok task for me.

If you have any further information about converting wave files to wavetable maps in C/C++ and importing them via firmware update or something, I'm up for it.

What kind of connector do you need to upload your own firmware, do you have any photos/names/references ? I bought it used, and it seems to be a DIY build, not a factory build

I attached a photo of the PCB, it looks like there is a missing header pins (J3). I'm good with soldering, and have basic electronics knowledge.

I found this post on stack-overflow about wav files binary format, maybe useful for some:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/136 ... a-wav-file

pfzzz
Common Wiggler

Post by pfzzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:08 am
linker script memory map or some part of the SWN code? I think the linker script LMA VMA should not change it will be automatically extended by the compiler. maybe you are talking about something else that also has the name memory map but not THE memory map. not like you are injecting binary and cleaning up pointers or anything.
can you explain further, or provide some links to read up about it?

What do you mean by a linker script memory map ?

Thanks a bunch!!! you're always helpful :)

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I can show you but you don't need to change it.
https://www.embedded.com/building-bare- ... nu-part-3/
This is usually done automatically or it will be included in the github repo. It is confusing to me if someone says memory map because I always think of the linker script file, GNU linker language, the startup code must match the LMA and VMA but this is already working so it does not get changed here. This tells the compiler what arm core you are using by describing the size of the FLASH and SRAM. In the C code every data type has a size that is reserved in memory by the compiler as needed. If you define a variable, initialize the variable, but you do not use it in the code, the compiler will optimize it out by not reserving memory. The total size reserved for constants is whatever the compiler keeps after scanning the code. Placement in the memory map is done automatically and for the most part it is out of you control. There are exceptions to the rule. So what memory map are you looking at? Can you show a link?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:00 pm

The simple method explained in the manual works perfectly well.

All you need is anything that can play audio that has an 1/8” output (for example, the computer that you would use to run the edit software) and a patch cable that you already have.

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Firmware hacking is only needed if you want to modify LFO waves or factory wavetables (when resetting the module).
The audio method is reliable and really fast.
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

pfzzz
Common Wiggler

Post by pfzzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Yea! haha My curiousity is dragging me deep into the rabbit hole.

Hacking is just so much fun!!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”