Xaoc Odessa, Teleharmonic, 4ms Ensemble

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Xaoc Odessa, Teleharmonic, 4ms Ensemble

Post by GregIcky » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Thinking of adding one final VCO to my set up.....

Been watching tubes on the Odessa, Teleharmonic and now the 4ms Ensemble Oscillators. I'm really into things that go into weird territory and making recordings of oscillators that no one else can stand. I was playing one in my wife's car one day as she came out of a shop and thought the timing belt was going out.... nope, just a recording I made last night. :party:

Both the Tele and the Ensemble have decent price points. But I'm not a huge MN fan (don't hate me) and 4ms has some kooky button combos on some of the stuff I've tried. Odessas is BIG, but it's pretty and has all those mod inputs and would sound great paired with Batumi, Belgrad and Zadar.

Also really dig the stuff I've heard coming out of the DPO.... I know most people love that thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on these? i've heard mixed things about Odessa and Teleharmonic and I know the Ensemble is fairly new (but knowing Muffs I'm sure there are plenty of them out in the wild by now). Almost seems like the Ensemble is like a mini Odessa.

Likes, Dislikes? Frustrations? Insights? Rants? Gripes? Praise?

Matt_L
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Xaoc Odessa, Teleharmonic, 4ms Ensemble

Post by Matt_L » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm

A bit of recent discussion about chord oscillators here: viewtopic.php?p=3314674#p3314674

There's a post in there where I compared the telHarmonic and EnSoc.

I don't own the Odessa, but the fact that it has the Hel expander, which gives you 1v/oct control over the 5 oscillators, seems really awesome, as it can then be paired nicely with chord quantizers like the Sinfonion, harmonaig, etc.

Batumi, Belgrad, and Zadar will all work wonderfully with all of these modules. Just keep in mind that you're going to have to add some attenuators whenever you're trying to modulate EnSoc with, say, Batumi (or any other modulation source that doesn't have level control).

Of course, the DPO is a different kind of oscillator than these chord oscillators, as its two voiced design is really more focused on wave-shaping.

I love these modules, but if I were you I'd want to make sure they suit my needs, as you're paying a price premium for a lot of these features. I find that you can do "experimental" things with basically any oscillator. For me, the telHarmonic and EnSoc really perform a specific function (which right now is mostly lush ambient pads). And for what it's worth, you can get similarly polyphonic pad sounds with some reverb/delay and a quantizer/sequencer/clock setup.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Matt_L wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm
A bit of recent discussion about chord oscillators here: viewtopic.php?p=3314674#p3314674

There's a post in there where I compared the telHarmonic and EnSoc.

I don't own the Odessa, but the fact that it has the Hel expander, which gives you 1v/oct control over the 5 oscillators, seems really awesome, as it can then be paired nicely with chord quantizers like the Sinfonion, harmonaig, etc.

Batumi, Belgrad, and Zadar will all work wonderfully with all of these modules. Just keep in mind that you're going to have to add some attenuators whenever you're trying to modulate EnSoc with, say, Batumi (or any other modulation source that doesn't have level control).

Of course, the DPO is a different kind of oscillator than these chord oscillators, as its two voiced design is really more focused on wave-shaping.

I love these modules, but if I were you I'd want to make sure they suit my needs, as you're paying a price premium for a lot of these features. I find that you can do "experimental" things with basically any oscillator. For me, the telHarmonic and EnSoc really perform a specific function (which right now is mostly lush ambient pads). And for what it's worth, you can get similarly polyphonic pad sounds with some reverb/delay and a quantizer/sequencer/clock setup.
Hey thanks!
Yeah, this makes sense why I am drawn to these 3 specific VCOs... that lush ambient pad/chord type of sound is definitely missing from my setup. I think what also attracts me to these is the ability to (assuming that you can) get some other modules patched in there to kinda poke at, or mess with those sounds while they are being generated.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Do you have a complex oscillator? If not, something like the Brenso, Cs-L, or DPO are fantastic choices. Complex oscs can do all sorts of insane inharmonic noises, percussive hits, drones, or melodic lines. I had the Telharmonic, and it was a bit too churchy sounding for my taste. Recently got the Ensemble osc, and like it a lot--does nice pads, but you can easily drive it into wild sounds. Interface has been great so far--most parameters are controlled by a knob or switch--no complaints there. I was planning to get Odessa, until I saw the Ensemble--although there's some timbral overlap, they're quite different oscs.

A good complex osc is the swiss army knife of synthesis--easily the last osc I'd give up. I'm running Brenso through its paces, and it smoothly morphs between bawky steam engine, 1924 Bugatti, and a spaceship with an overheated quantum drive.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:36 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pm
Yeah, this makes sense why I am drawn to these 3 specific VCOs... that lush ambient pad/chord type of sound is definitely missing from my setup.
Sometimes it's actually a sign that maybe you need a nice polysynth to keep your rack company, too- assuming you can hash out the sequencing aspect.

VibratingMotorGate
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VibratingMotorGate » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:13 pm

don't forget the Mannequins Just Friends also fits in this milieu of additive vcos. I would like to see some kind of shootout between that, the odessa, and the ensemble. Telharmonic looks uninteresting along with the rest of the Make Noise lineup to me.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm

VibratingMotorGate wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:13 pm
don't forget the Mannequins Just Friends also fits in this milieu of additive vcos. I would like to see some kind of shootout between that, the odessa, and the ensemble. Telharmonic looks uninteresting along with the rest of the Make Noise lineup to me.
Can you even get 3 friends anymore?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”