Offset generator + switch as sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Offset generator + switch as sequencer

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 am

Hi!

While searching for a simple but flexible way of sequencing I found that using a multi offset generator (e.g. ATN8) and a switcher with CV addressing (e.g. Boss Bow Two) may be a good choice for me, considering that the modules may also be used for something else when not sequencing.
I'm now looking for the optimal way to implement it (that is, flexible, compact and wiggleable).

Needs:

- fixed but variable values provided by either offset or CV generators;
- CV addressable switcher, that lets me decide which steps I want to play, for how long and in which order;
- the switch should also be clocked (but this is usually the case);
- bonus: possibility to slew from one step to the other, so ideally the switch should allow to crossfade between the inputs when the address slowly changes (e.g. while moving from input 1 that is 1v and input 2 that is 2v the output should smoothly go from 1v to 2v (1.1v, 1.2v, 1.3v, etc);
- bonus: when clocked, to have various possibilities to jump around.

Apart the aforementioned two modules there are quite a few possibilities, the only feature that I can't seem to find is the crossfading thing. Do you know of any that do this?

So, how have did you implement this way of sequencing? Which modules did you choose? Any limitations? Ideas?

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Offset generator + switch as sequencer

Post by desolationjones » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 am

One option would be to use a morphing controller like the Emblematic Catalyst or the ADDAC 306 to generate your offsets. Then you could cross-fade between multiple sets of offsets to create transitions.

I would add a VC slew module for the portamento instead of trying to find a do-it-all switch. The new 4HP WMD slew looks good.

If you wanted an all-in-one solution I would recommend Teletype + F8R.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am

If you want the values to slew you can slew or you can buy an interpolating scanner. You can buy a sequencer that does this. Sequential switches add features but they also add problems that can't easily be solved if you go down that path. If you want to sequencer a voltage controlled slew then you need another row on the sequencer or you need two sequencers.

I have done the poor people two note sequencer trick since forever. You patch a square wave LFO to an attenuator then to the 1v/Oct input. Adjust the spread on the attenuator to get it in tune.

Variable time per step is either programmed in the sequencer or you use one of the rows to control the voltage controlled LFO that is clocking the sequencer. Just like the voltage controlled slew. You can use a button to clock the sequencer if you want manual control. You can use an OR combiner if you want both. Addressing steps directly can be done with a ratchet or you can buy a sequencer with buttons per step or gate inputs for each step. These are all crazy super deluxe features. If you want it all then you need to make a plan for how why what what will it cost etc.. that means reading manuals for 20 sequencers good luck.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:50 pm

desolationjones wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 am
I would add a VC slew module for the portamento instead of trying to find a do-it-all switch. The new 4HP WMD slew looks good.
Of course, the slew thing would be a bonus and I could always slew the output anyway. I'll have a look at that module, thanks for the suggestion.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 am

- bonus: possibility to slew from one step to the other, so ideally the switch should allow to crossfade between the inputs when the address slowly changes (e.g. while moving from input 1 that is 1v and input 2 that is 2v the output should smoothly go from 1v to 2v (1.1v, 1.2v, 1.3v, etc);

Apart the aforementioned two modules there are quite a few possibilities, the only feature that I can't seem to find is the crossfading thing. Do you know of any that do this?
Agree with @EatYourGuitar comments above about typically having two sequencer rows to accomplish this. From a workflow perspective, It’s usually accomplished by having a way to mark certain steps that will glide between values rather than the traditional stepped voltages of a sequencer step. In other words, a glide-per-step sort of idea. Good examples are the new Make Noise Rene with a dedicated glide programming page and even something like MI stages setup as an X-step sequence with the trim pots above setting glide amount.

And if I’m understanding you correctly, the main problem you’ll encounter with the switch framework is the slew will have have to be after the switch to be functional and, therefore, more of global setting for the voltage output. The nature of the traditional switch implies a stepped change between voltages connected to each input.

This does raise one possibility; namely if there were programmable VCA’s at each stage of the switch.That way your cross-fading/glide is happening at the switch and therefore could perhaps be on a per step basis....not many options I can think of at that point. Livestock Electronics Maze comes to mind setup with 4 inputs to 1 output. Another possibility could be Qu-bit Synapse patched correctly and with its inertia setting/cross fader memory settings acting as a slew. However, all those seem like a lot of functionality to buy into for just gaining slew-per-step in a patched sequencer.

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:54 pm

VZvision wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm
This does raise one possibility in that if there were programmable VCA’s at each stage of the switch.That way your cross-fading/glide is happening at the switch and therefore could perhaps be on a per step basis....not many options I can think of at that point. Livestock Electronics Maze comes to mind setup with 4 inputs to 1 output. Another possibility could be Qu-bit Synapse patched correctly and with its inertia setting/cross fader memory settings acting as a slew. However, all those seem like a lot of functionality to buy into for just gaining slew-per-step in a patched sequencer.
Actually I was thinking of getting the Maze anyway for mixing and routing both CVs and pitches, but in this context it would be wasted.
Anyway, as I said the slewing would be a bonus feature, so it may very well go after the switch.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Actually I was thinking of getting the Maze anyway for mixing and routing both CVs and pitches, but in this context it would be wasted.
Totally. It’s like a $500 module if I recall correctly so just for (potentially) having slew-per-step would be :eek:

FWIW, I usually set up what you’re talking about with either a Boss Bow Tie V1 or Verbos Sequence Selector and a few differing voltage sources depending on what I’m after...which include stuff like a fader bank, a joy stick, or even just attenuators normalled to 5V if it’s something simple. And yeah if I’m looking for slew or glide, I typically look elsewhere (like to a more traditional sequencer setup).

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm

VZvision wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm
FWIW, I usually set up what you’re talking about with either a Boss Bow Tie V1 or Verbos Sequence Selector and a few differing voltage sources depending on what I’m after...which include stuff like a fader bank, a joy stick, or even just attenuators normalled to 5V if it’s something simple. And yeah if I’m looking for slew or glide, I typically look elsewhere (like to a more traditional sequencer setup).
And how do you control the BBT, with which kind of CV?

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

The most common for me is to use a LFO where frequency and/or shape has the option to be modulated. Then I put the modulation of that LFO behind a VCA so I can dial it up or off. Note that the V1 Bow Tie has no clocking so it’s purely addressable. Also, if I’m not using the Joystick as a voltage source, I sometimes use that as well to address the switch in this kind of patch. I’ve also used random stepped voltage as well to address it which is a lot of fun.

Another nice sub-patch is to choose a couple varying sources to control the Bow Tie switching and put them behind a 2-way switch so you can choose how it’s being addressed either manually or by voltage control. If you have V2 though, that idea might be a little redundant since I think you can choose between clock or addressable on the panel, which looks pretty cool!

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:58 pm

VZvision wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm
The most common for me is to use a LFO where frequency and/or shape has the option to be modulated. Then I put the modulation of that LFO behind a VCA so I can dial it up or off. Note that the V1 Bow Tie has no clocking so it’s purely addressable. Also, if I’m not using the Joystick as a voltage source, I sometimes use that as well to address the switch in this kind of patch. I’ve also used random stepped voltage as well to address it which is a lot of fun.
Or complex envelope generator... I was already planning on getting a Kermit and now I'm thinking that using it for addressing the switch could be interesting.

VZvision wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Another nice sub-patch is to choose a couple varying sources to control the Bow Tie switching and put them behind a 2-way switch so you can choose how it’s being addressed either manually or by voltage control. If you have V2 though, that idea might be a little redundant since I think you can choose between clock or addressable on the panel, which looks pretty cool!
Yes, there's also a third mode that is addressable but synchronized with the clock, like the Befaco Muxlicer (that would be perfect for my case but a little too big, unfortunately).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”