Arturia Rackbrute 6U faulty power supply

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Demonument
Learning to Wiggle

Arturia Rackbrute 6U faulty power supply

Post by Demonument » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 pm

I've had my Rackbrute a couple of months but I've only recently started using it. Today I had been using it for a couple of hours and suddenly everything shut off and the power module started ticking (probably a relay). When it ticks the 5v light also lights up. The other power lights don't light up. I removed my modules and tried to power it up again. Same thing. Disconnected the power supply from the distribution board. Same. I took the module out to have a quick look for any obvious signs of a short or foreign objects. I didn't see anything like that but there is a surprising amount of white residue on the board. I would have expected it to be clean. I found this power supply to be noisier than I expected as well, compared to other synths I have. For example if I added some harmonic distortion / transformer plugin effects in my DAW I could hear noise from the power supply. I don't know if that's typical for this module or a sign that it was faulty in someway. I've contacted Arturia and the retailer to see what they say. Hopefully it hasn't damaged any of my modules.

Any ideas what it might be? It looks like I'll have to send the whole thing back to be repaired. I'm very new to eurorack but I've been buying audio gear for a long time and it's the first time I've had something fail like this so it's put me off a little bit. Also I'm quite worried that a faulty power supply could damage the modules in the case.

Hainezee
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Arturia Rackbrute 6U faulty power supply

Post by Hainezee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Really feel for you man. My Rackbrute 3U, which has been working great, decided to power trip today. Lights all come on for a split second then off... Took all my modules out, same happens... just not sure what to do... What did you end up doing with yours?

Raja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raja » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 am

I have three Rackbrutes and have never had problems with them until today. One of the cases was working fine and then turned off. It turned back on, and again was working ok before the power module lights started to flicker in sequence - other module lights also flickered, like it was turning on and turning off every few seconds. I’ve turned it off and left it for now. Power is well within the limit and none of the modules have been moved.

col
Veteran Wiggler

Post by col » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:31 am

It might be a faulty ribbon cable. Try removing the modules and cable one-by-one until you find the culprit.

m_b_r
1-Post Wiggler

Post by m_b_r » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am

If I am going to buy a new power supply for my 6U Rackbrute, where can I buy it online (like for example eBay)? I am not 100% about it and don't want to plug the wrong one in.

This what the customer service from Arturia wrote:

"We don't sell them separately, but you can find something with your nearest dealer.
https://www.arturia.com/community/dealer-locator
• 15V-3000mA Power supply + power cord"

Is that true? I thought it was what they write on their homepage: "Power supply with 1600mA +12V output, 1600mA -12V output and 900mA +5V output."

I don't understand it...

eutheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eutheman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

This happened to me once, was within power limit. I jiggled about a few cables, tried to run the system without a couple of my hungrier modules, and it seemed fine. I then added everything back as it was, and haven't had any problems since..
Not sure why it happened, but it fixed it self.. I just use it in the studio luckily, would be a bit concerned for live use.

Raja
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Raja » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am

My issue was just a faulty PSU in the end, thankfully. I ordered one from Arturia Customer Service and it was delivered today,

I had over a year’s use out of a basic 3000ma, 15v, 45w laptop power adaptor before it went wrong, though. Max power available to modules is 1600ma but 3000ma is standard for the PSUs, original or replacement.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am

Raja wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am
My issue was just a faulty PSU in the end, thankfully. I ordered one from Arturia Customer Service and it was delivered today,

I had over a year’s use out of a basic 3000ma, 15v, 45w laptop power adaptor before it went wrong, though. Max power available to modules is 1600ma but 3000ma is standard for the PSUs, original or replacement.
this is because the power on all rails is derived from the +ve12v input

this sort of thing can also happen if you go over the power limits

often in that case it's just a matter of removing a module or 2

try to keep to only using max 80% of the power so if you are using a rackbrute that has 1600ma available - the absolute max you want to draw is 1280ma (preferably less)
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 am

Raja wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am
that was lucky... it would have been the last thing I would have checked!!
this is because the power on all rails is derived from the input

this sort of thing can also happen if you go over the power limits - although that can lead to damaged components (which can be a pita)

often in that case it's just a matter of removing a module or 2

try to keep to only using max 80% of the power so if you are using a rackbrute that has 1600ma available - the absolute max you want to draw is 1280ma (preferably less)
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

I wonder if Joranalogue’s Test 3 would be useful in this case?

I haven’t had problems with my RackBrute 6U’s power yet, but am concerned after reading this thread. Hope you guys with the issues can get your problems sorted out.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Great. Now this happend to me. I switched on my one of my Rackbrute 6U cases and the top row didn't come on (all of those are using the Rackbrute power supply) the bottom row is using a uZeus power supply. After unplugging the power and plugging it back in, the modules came on for about a minute and then shut off. I have another Rachbrute 6U and 3U and I tried both of those power supplies but neither worked. What is my next step?

Here is the modulargrid of my case, it is well below the power limits. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1344477

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:10 pm

My PSU died after about a year of use, replaced it with this guy here:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BTN ... UTF8&psc=1

No issues since! Going strong for a year.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

kbowman016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kbowman016 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Update: I took the Rackbrute down and unscrewed all the modules- I slid two of the modules down(I had extra space) and turned on the power. Everything turned on! Well except my 2hp Logic. I took that out and tried it in different cases- send gates to the a/b of both AND/OR but non of the led lights comes on. So I don't know what's up with that. I tried a different cable but no luck either.

I am currently leaving the Rackbrute powered on to see if it eventually turns off. I am really happy I have power but concerned this will happen again and I am no closer to understanding why it happened in the first place.

col
Veteran Wiggler

Post by col » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Looking through my spare power supplies box I noticed that I had a 15v DC 4A one off of an old Toshiba laptop. Checked the polarity, and gave it a try, works fine. So now I have a spare. I'll run with the Toshiba one for a bit as it looks like a better supply than the stock 15V DC 3A one. This might be useful info for someone needing to replace the original one.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 am

I've had power issues with my Rackbrute 3U that turned out to be the EIC power chord plugged in to the power transformer. It seems that if it isn't pushed in all the way, the switching power transformer would malfunction. It was very sensitive to movement too. I went through a couple IEC chords until I found one that fit more snugly into the receptacle and haven't had an issue since.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”