Modules that "Fascinate"?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Modules that "Fascinate"?

Post by Phitar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 am

Fascinate - to draw irresistibly the attention and interest

In another thread talking about reasons to buy/expand/jump into Eurorack, Starthief made a comment about modules that "fascinate" being a valid reason to do so. The expression and that mindset struck home with me as it seems to be MY motivating factor about the modules that I purchase even above thoughts of whether the module will work well with what I already have or if I'm duplicating functionality. If a module puts a twist on existing ways of doing things or does something totally new I'm a born sucker for it. :help:

Curious to know what modules fascinate you, why, and if you broke down and got it. If you got it did it live up to your expectations?

Some modules that fascinated me that I now own:

Doepfer A-196 PLL - Starthief talked me into this one even though he doesn't realize it. Was familiar with PLL as far as radio/communications but was interested in the audio range application. Weird but I like it.

Befaco Muxlicer - it slices, it dices! I DIY'ed this one. Like it a lot but not sure if the current firmware will work on my V1.1 board.

Make Noise Sound HackTelharmonic - Isn't the quick and easy harmonic source I anticipated but with some finesse it is a sweet addition.

Noise Engineering BIA - Good concept, well executed. Love it! Needs to be reigned in at times.

Ornament and Crime - First started hearing about this when I was spending all my free time digging into the the PRJC Teensy forum looking to use the Teensy 3.1 as an audio processor. O/C beat me to it and did it better than any of my at the time robotic focused teensy coding ever could. Have two of these.

Almost everything from NLC. Have built a lot of it and happy with it all. Want more but need more physical space.

The list goes on....

SOME of the ones that FASCINATE that I don't own.....

Trigger riot
Rainmaker
ACL SINFONION
Shapeshifter
Natural Gate
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Modules that "Fascinate"?

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:29 am

the doepfer PLL is very good but don't forget the WMD synchrodyne + expander. I would downvote the telharmonic but maybe others will disagree.

your short list is all top quality amazing modules. I will add to that list of modules that fascinate me

http://www.steadystatefate.com/ultra-random-analog
https://www.instruomodular.com/product/csl/
https://humble.audio/
https://humble.audio/products/algo
https://x1l3.bigcartel.com/product/shar ... ack-module
https://joranalogue.com/products/generate-3
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:46 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:29 am
the doepfer PLL is very good but don't forget the WMD synchrodyne + expander. I would downvote the telharmonic but maybe others will disagree.

your short list is all top quality amazing modules. I will add to that list of modules that fascinate me

http://www.steadystatefate.com/ultra-random-analog
https://www.instruomodular.com/product/csl/
https://humble.audio/
https://humble.audio/products/algo
https://x1l3.bigcartel.com/product/shar ... ack-module
https://joranalogue.com/products/generate-3

My main fear about making this post was that I would be adding to my list of fascinating gear based on the responses.... Some of these you listed do indeed fascinate me. Some I didn't even know about. Like that! More to add to the wish list. What draws you to these?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Some of my last few purchases have been modules I've held back from for a while, but which wouldn't leave me alone. Namely:

ALM Akemie's Castle
Doepfer A106-6 XP VCF
Doepfer A152 Multiplexer
Bastl Timber

...and I haven't been disappointed with any of them. Should I have listened to my gut instinct? I'm not sure. It's been wrong as well.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:46 pm

I write software. That is what I do. Think of what you can do with a computer. Now think that you can sit down with a blank canvas and write all that software from scratch. This would be impractical actually but it is a thought experiment. I look at a CS-L as the canvas. Ultra random analog has so many Serge modules crammed into such a super dense finished product it becomes something of PHD research paper to figure exactly how it works in a deterministic way. It also generates random signals everywhere making it hard to see the logic that generated it. Serge fans will know but they will need to play with it to really match up what is what with Serge vs URA.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 pm

I don't remember that specifically, but it sounds like something I would say ;) And Rings was probably one of the things I said it about.

In general I am fascinated when simple combinations have complex results. Two major examples of that are feedback and FM.
The A-196 is a great example of feedback in action; the "loop" part of "phase-locked loop" is what gives it its power. Resonators (like Rings) are another example of a feedback process.

Using a waveshaper for phase modulation will probably always fascinate me, so add FM Aid to the list, as well as any sort of wavetable waveshaping (Disting, Shapeshifter, ER-301, Geiger Counter, or (using the phase-modulated slow LFO trick) E352, etc.)

I find E520 fascinating. Frequency-domain processes are not used nearly as much in synthesis as time-domain, and I feel like in terms of maturity, E520 brings it from its infancy to "a particularly smart toddler" phase.

Another interest of mine is the harmonic series, the general idea of thinking of frequency in terms of ratios, and the space where additive synthesis and music theory kind of collide. The most naive forms of additive synthesis seem kind of static and dull, but throw a little detuning or modulation at it, or distort the results and suddenly it opens up wide. I had fun trying out SMR, but it wasn't quite what I had hoped for; I like playing with harmonic oscillators in software and am really looking forward to 4ms EnOsc arriving this weekend :)

Noise and dirt and artifacts fascinate me too, but less on an intellectual level and more emotionally comforting, somehow.

DalNiente
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DalNiente » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:18 pm

starthief wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 pm
Noise and dirt and artifacts fascinate me too, but less on an intellectual level and more emotionally comforting, somehow.
It's the same for me: What I enjoy the most is to play with crazy and unpredictable modules because it pushes me into a comfortable and relaxed state. I love to let go, listen and carefully interact with the noise and dirt, creating all those beautiful "ugly" sounds. Currently the Soma Lyra 8 FX and the Xaoc Belgrad Filter are my favourite modules and the two of them in interaction don't cease to fascinate me.

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Forget DSP. Eatyourguitar was correct, synchrodyne + expander.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 pm

I think for me, most modules that fascinate are the relatively simple ones whose fundamental concept is a bit unusual or makes you tilt your head a bit - things that originate from an interesting place from the very beginning. And/or modules that you keep discovering new things/uses for them depending on what kind of signals you combine them with. I am totally on the same page with the OP about NLC, which has been, for a long time, in my Top 5 if not Top 3 Euro makers.

Rev 1 Pittsburgh modules, like the VILFO, Generator, Timetable - they will always fascinate me, because they're still do fairly unique things within the Eurorack world.

Doepfer A-112 - a most idiosyncratic Doepfer module and sampling thing whose interface is quite a nightmare. I could never get it to do what I think I want it to do. And yet, I could endlessly play with the switches and they always bring surprises.

Benjolin - It's a thing that does many things and draws you towards exploring it.

Modcan CV Recorder - it continues to fascinate me every time I use it because there are only 5 or 6 controls on it, and yet with that you can do anything from a small looped cv signal to a really long one, turn it up to audio-rate in one gesture, get crunchy audio sampling, scanning, etc. It just has so much mileage.

Doepfer A-155 & A-154 combo - I literally bought a set 2 days ago but am already blown away by how much fun it is to play, and all the unusual potential it has as a bulky, fairly traditional-looking sequencer.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Several recent fascinations:

I'm just dipping my toes into the Serge Resonant EQ. Picked up a CGS model last week and then found myself too busy to explore it. I want to play everything through it: violin, voice, field recordings, gongs. Sound sculpting is a big reason in into modular.

Monome Teletype: As a software developer, I love the idea of being able to tell my synth what to do. And for the power of Teletype, I think the learning curve is worth it. It's at home in a box, waiting to be added to my case.

Matrix mixers: I've heard so much about them since I got into Eurorack. Why don't I have one already? For that matter, why don't I do more feedback patching? Will probably buy a Doepfer A-138m.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm

Folktek modules, very specifically Matter II with its mystery pin matrix being literally designed to mess around on with and "fascinate" as it were.

Also, Erbe Verb being contorted under lots of CV. 4ms VCA Matrix for figuring out all the many ways you can manipulate signals, self-patching CV all around it etc. Control Forge cycles/options and Morphagene feeding into itself can also get you stuck playing around endlessly.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Monsoon. It will have me just in tears with how beautiful it can get. And then it will sound like robot chickens copulating with struggling chimps. I love it.

Elements- again, it can do so much. It’s cliche, but when it’s not, it’s even more spectacular. I can just sit with these two modules, and build up a lovely state of bliss.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm

I see my modular as "One Piece of Gear" of fascination.
I don´t see any need for me to dissect anything further from there.

nevertheless,
what amazes me, is that i´m to this day amazed of what i can do with Clouds ( having a first batch unit).
and i do *all the time* the exactly same thing with it, .....but its still amazing, haha

and ohh yeah, working a sample/rec with the Nebulae2 amazes me everytime i do, too.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Ieaskul F Mobenthey modules always had my curiosity. Even after having the set i am always find new things about them on patching.

Nonlinear Circuits are really awesome as well. i remember i was fascinated when seeing the old video on the Sloth module and chaos modules. i had to build one up and from there i was lookin at all the modulation circuits he was creating.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:30 pm

I received an Instruo/Divkid ochd in the mail last night (thanks for the heads up to the user who mentioned DM still had them in stock).

I also got a Batumi very recently. For a good while there, I was in serious need of more modulation sources. And they're both fantastic. I've really enjoyed using them for generative patches. Right now, I have the ochd feeding various inputs on a Livestock Bang going into an nRings + some reverb via Disting... Twiddling the ochd rate knob + controls on the Bang. Simple, elegant. A lot of nice sounds. Inner calm! I've patched similar stuff involving the Batumi and/or Nebulae.

This right here is why I made the jump from feedback loops to modular synthesizers. That, and trying to find the "ultimate" filter unit (which might be Rob Hordijk's TPF, by the way... :hail:).

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm

funeralcake wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:30 pm
I received an Instruo/Divkid ochd in the mail last night (thanks for the heads up to the user who mentioned DM still had them in stock).

I also got a Batumi very recently. For a good while there, I was in serious need of more modulation sources. And they're both fantastic. I've really enjoyed using them for generative patches. Right now, I have the ochd feeding various inputs on a Livestock Bang going into an nRings + some reverb via Disting... Twiddling the ochd rate knob + controls on the Bang. Simple, elegant. A lot of nice sounds. Inner calm! I've patched similar stuff involving the Batumi and/or Nebulae.

This right here is why I made the jump from feedback loops to modular synthesizers. That, and trying to find the "ultimate" filter unit (which might be Rob Hordijk's TPF, by the way... :hail:).
I have a feeling there’s an Instruo Scion in my future.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm

tenshun wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 pm
Ieaskul F Mobenthey modules always had my curiosity. Even after having the set i am always find new things about them on patching.

Nonlinear Circuits are really awesome as well. i remember i was fascinated when seeing the old video on the Sloth module and chaos modules. i had to build one up and from there i was lookin at all the modulation circuits he was creating.
I talked to analog haven about this. they said they haven't got anything or heard from him in years. they said they don't think he is producing. some of the modules are out of stock on synthmall. I emailed direct to ask him to sell me a sprott but no reply after one week now. I really want a sprott. I contemplated buying the whole set then selling off the modules I don't need. I don't think he wants to break up the set. I asked him about that. if someone wants to buy the set and break it down into modules for sale I would buy a sprott.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:21 pm

For me Trigger Riot can take up my time in a wonderful way.
Than clock it with any random clock generator, or set of modules working as a random clock generator :yay:
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:24 pm

I think the Monome/Whimsical Raps ecosystem fits this bill for me. Does my music require that I type command line instructions to control modules with inscrutable front panels? No. Do I need weird unlabeled grids / spinning dials with blinding white LEDs to fully express my ideas. No. But it’s all interesting and fun in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Angle Grinder. What is it doing? What is it going to do next? How can it simultaneously add and remove harmonics?

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Mutable warps (with parasites).
Odd little module that is anything but immediate.
Takes lots of experimentation with different sources and settings using the different modes, it is quite fascinating finding the sweet spots and what works well with it, and makes some really unique complex sounds when you get it just right.

I would also put the synth tech deflector shield in this category.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Morphagene. The only module in my otherwise rather strictly orchestrated system, that does not really have a role, other than being a free agent, a joker of sorts.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm
tenshun wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:22 pm

I talked to analog haven about this. they said they haven't got anything or heard from him in years. they said they don't think he is producing. some of the modules are out of stock on synthmall. I emailed direct to ask him to sell me a sprott but no reply after one week now. I really want a sprott. I contemplated buying the whole set then selling off the modules I don't need. I don't think he wants to break up the set. I asked him about that. if someone wants to buy the set and break it down into modules for sale I would buy a sprott.

i think the only other place that sells mobenthey modules is Patch Point over in Berlin.
They seem to have all in stock.

i had to order from them to pick up the Swoop

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm

CaneMan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 pm
Several recent fascinations:

I'm just dipping my toes into the Serge Resonant EQ. Picked up a CGS model last week and then found myself too busy to explore it. I want to play everything through it: violin, voice, field recordings, gongs. Sound sculpting is a big reason in into modular.

Monome Teletype: As a software developer, I love the idea of being able to tell my synth what to do. And for the power of Teletype, I think the learning curve is worth it. It's at home in a box, waiting to be added to my case.

Matrix mixers: I've heard so much about them since I got into Eurorack. Why don't I have one already? For that matter, why don't I do more feedback patching? Will probably buy a Doepfer A-138m.
I got a Serge Resonant EQ yesterday, too; mine being a R*S version. It's kinda something I've been looking for for a long time but I don't think I quite realized it. It's amazing. I think that's gonna one that I spend a lot of time with.
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Great question and some good suggestions in this thread. I have a lot of curiosity about the IME/Harvestman stuff. From the colorscheme to the numbering system to the gut-wrenching sounds, everything that they make seems intriguing. I play with HD and Piston Honda all the time and have no idea of the depth I'm missing in those modules. They fascinate me.
kmro.org

Return to “Eurorack Modules”