[SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
qiemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by qiemem » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
Amazing firmware :) I am having a lot of fun.
That's great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it!
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
One thing I noticed though.. Single looping gated yellow segments are not attenuating? When not gated, everything is fine and the pot is behaving like an attenuator, but when I put the gate in, pot is not responding. Can someone confirm this?
:doh: Thanks for catching this! Reproduced and made an issue: https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/15
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
edit: one more thing.. in the previous versions, when you hold the button and want to make it looping, while you are holding the button it starts flashing after two seconds...now you have to let it go to see it flash.. I think that the previous option was better because you could immidiately see that you switched the behavior, now its not that obvious until you let go of the button..
This behaviour actually goes back to joeSeggiola's firmware. Because the multimode trigger is also a long press, looping activates on release instead of press. I, too, miss this behavior. Maybe I could change the LEDs without actually changing state or something... would be a little hacky though. I'll look into it.
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
fuck..third thing :) ... before, when in green non looping mode, leds were turned off, now they are always on.. also think that is better if they are off because you can better see the beahaviour of the mode and the overall view of the moules state is more clear.
Ooo good point. That comes from single, non-gated ramps now being two-sided slews. The LED comes on during rise (or rather, turns off during fall), and just natural noise is making it rise and fall rapidly. https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/17

Thank you for catching these!

User avatar
Silentnotes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by Silentnotes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm

qiemem wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 pm
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
Amazing firmware :) I am having a lot of fun.
That's great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it!
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
One thing I noticed though.. Single looping gated yellow segments are not attenuating? When not gated, everything is fine and the pot is behaving like an attenuator, but when I put the gate in, pot is not responding. Can someone confirm this?
:doh: Thanks for catching this! Reproduced and made an issue: https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/15
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
edit: one more thing.. in the previous versions, when you hold the button and want to make it looping, while you are holding the button it starts flashing after two seconds...now you have to let it go to see it flash.. I think that the previous option was better because you could immidiately see that you switched the behavior, now its not that obvious until you let go of the button..
This behaviour actually goes back to joeSeggiola's firmware. Because the multimode trigger is also a long press, looping activates on release instead of press. I, too, miss this behavior. Maybe I could change the LEDs without actually changing state or something... would be a little hacky though. I'll look into it.
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
fuck..third thing :) ... before, when in green non looping mode, leds were turned off, now they are always on.. also think that is better if they are off because you can better see the beahaviour of the mode and the overall view of the moules state is more clear.
Ooo good point. That comes from single, non-gated ramps now being two-sided slews. The LED comes on during rise (or rather, turns off during fall), and just natural noise is making it rise and fall rapidly. https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/17

Thank you for catching these!
No problem, very happy to help :)

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm

For some reason, updating my stages doesn't seem to work. I did everything as instructed on the stages website, trying to play the update file into the last segment's cv input, keeping the LED button pressed with slider at mid position. Also checked beforehand that my line out is indeed playing the update file as intended. However, LEDs don't turn into VU meters as stated, and the update didn't work. Anyone has an Idea why that is the case ? Do I have to make an intermediate firmware update (afaik, my stages runs on original firmware)

User avatar
boom blip
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by boom blip » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm
For some reason, updating my stages doesn't seem to work. I did everything as instructed on the stages website, trying to play the update file into the last segment's cv input, keeping the LED button pressed with slider at mid position. Also checked beforehand that my line out is indeed playing the update file as intended. However, LEDs don't turn into VU meters as stated, and the update didn't work. Anyone has an Idea why that is the case ? Do I have to make an intermediate firmware update (afaik, my stages runs on original firmware)
Are you using your phone? My phone doesn't get loud enough and I have to play it out of my soundcard way way louder than I thought would be necessary.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:28 pm

I am using my UAD will full gain. But after just another try, it is working miraculously :D Let's see what this harmonic oscillator can do...

User avatar
Silentnotes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by Silentnotes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 am

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm
For some reason, updating my stages doesn't seem to work. I did everything as instructed on the stages website, trying to play the update file into the last segment's cv input, keeping the LED button pressed with slider at mid position. Also checked beforehand that my line out is indeed playing the update file as intended. However, LEDs don't turn into VU meters as stated, and the update didn't work. Anyone has an Idea why that is the case ? Do I have to make an intermediate firmware update (afaik, my stages runs on original firmware)
You dont need to keep the led button pressed, only when you power up the case.

User avatar
saiteron
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by saiteron » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm

qiemem wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 pm
I've created an issue to track the attenuator suggestion: https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/16. As I mention there, the UI difficulties (as well as some technical) make me inclined to not add it, especially given the presence of attenuating segments. It would be nice to not eat a segment for this, but given that that is an option, and the popularity of utility modules for this kind of thing :despair: Sorry to disappoint. If anyone can think of a way of representing the attenuation level of a segment in a clear way, I'm might be open to it though.
haha no worries! i'm just trying to cram as much as i can into a single 7U case and thought i'd offer my two cents here. re: representing attenuation levels, brightness of LEDs is always an option but with them already strobing and cycling i see how it could easily get a bit too chaotic or too subtle to be worth the time. thanks again for your awesome work! :sb:

User avatar
joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:59 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:25 am

qiemem wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 pm
Silentnotes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 am
edit: one more thing.. in the previous versions, when you hold the button and want to make it looping, while you are holding the button it starts flashing after two seconds...now you have to let it go to see it flash.. I think that the previous option was better because you could immidiately see that you switched the behavior, now its not that obvious until you let go of the button..
This behaviour actually goes back to joeSeggiola's firmware. Because the multimode trigger is also a long press, looping activates on release instead of press. I, too, miss this behavior. Maybe I could change the LEDs without actually changing state or something... would be a little hacky though. I'll look into it.
Yep. And initially the LED changed while pressing, like the stock firmware. But that meant that when you wanted to switch mode, you will always cause an unwanted segment configuration change. I "fixed" that in commit 70a5e48, if you want to take a look at what I changed. The only way to get the old behavior is to "fake" the LED status, or to "undo" the segment configuration when switching mode, but I agree that these are both "hacky" solutions to an actual UI limitation.

@Silentnotes Note however that the duration of the long-press required to change the segment configuration has been reduced from 0.8s of the stock firmware to 0.5s, so you can be quite sure that you pressed long enough when doing it.

qiemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by qiemem » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:01 pm

saiteron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm
qiemem wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 pm
I've created an issue to track the attenuator suggestion: https://github.com/qiemem/eurorack/issues/16. As I mention there, the UI difficulties (as well as some technical) make me inclined to not add it, especially given the presence of attenuating segments. It would be nice to not eat a segment for this, but given that that is an option, and the popularity of utility modules for this kind of thing :despair: Sorry to disappoint. If anyone can think of a way of representing the attenuation level of a segment in a clear way, I'm might be open to it though.
haha no worries! i'm just trying to cram as much as i can into a single 7U case and thought i'd offer my two cents here. re: representing attenuation levels, brightness of LEDs is always an option but with them already strobing and cycling i see how it could easily get a bit too chaotic or too subtle to be worth the time. thanks again for your awesome work! :sb:
Oh for sure, can definitely understand that desire... this whole firmware is basically me getting carried away with trying to pack as much functionality as possible in :goo:

I've tried using LED brightness for stuff in the past, but it's really hard to see in practice unfortunately, especially with the strobing.

qiemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by qiemem » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Hey, if anyone happens to have more than one Stages, I managed to borrow a second one this weekend, and have an early build of chaining support. I would be very grateful to those willing to try it out.

Here’s how it works:
  • A Stages will only chain with other Stages that use the same firmware and are in compatible modes (mode 1 chains with itself, modes 2 & 3 chain together, and the other modes are correctly ignored).
  • A module in an incompatible mode will split the chain. So, with mode 1 - mode 5 - mode 1, the two modules on either end will not be chained, but mode 1 - mode 1 - mode 5 will have the two mode 1 modules chain
  • Changing the mode on one module triggers a rediscovery of neighbors in the other modules, so the chain will correct itself as modes change whether you’re adding or removing modules from the chain by changing mode
I’ve only been able to test it with two modules, but it should work with more :crossed_fingers: It has also been updated with the latest version of the official firmware, so has the new sequencer orders Émilie added a couple days, and has a smattering of bug fixes.
Attachments
stages-bipolar-chaining-test.wav
(6.21 MiB) Downloaded 2 times

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by Squallaz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm

qiemem wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm
Hey, if anyone happens to have more than one Stages, I managed to borrow a second one this weekend, and have an early build of chaining support. I would be very grateful to those willing to try it out.

Here’s how it works:
  • A Stages will only chain with other Stages that use the same firmware and are in compatible modes (mode 1 chains with itself, modes 2 & 3 chain together, and the other modes are correctly ignored).
  • A module in an incompatible mode will split the chain. So, with mode 1 - mode 5 - mode 1, the two modules on either end will not be chained, but mode 1 - mode 1 - mode 5 will have the two mode 1 modules chain
  • Changing the mode on one module triggers a rediscovery of neighbors in the other modules, so the chain will correct itself as modes change whether you’re adding or removing modules from the chain by changing mode
I’ve only been able to test it with two modules, but it should work with more :crossed_fingers: It has also been updated with the latest version of the official firmware, so has the new sequencer orders Émilie added a couple days, and has a smattering of bug fixes.
dope

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by Squallaz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:07 am


qiemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by qiemem » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am

Squallaz wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:07 am
----> another firmware update: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... e/17493/44
The chain test build above should be up to date with that thread. It has the new sequencer orders and tracking behavior.

loreamon
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 pm
Location: Sofia

Re: [SPLIT] Alternative Firmware(s) for Mutable Instruments Stages

Post by loreamon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:45 am

So which one is the latest unofficial ‘official’ firmware?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”