Patching DJ Scratch sounds?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Patching DJ Scratch sounds?

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am

I was thinking about it all day since yesterday. I came to the conclusion that you need to decide what format you are sending and what you will use it for. If you send it to the 301 you are sending speed and direction (velocity). The raw data is theta (angle) of the record. To send the angle of the record continuously requires exactly two control voltages. These would be SIN(theta) and COS(theta). You can modify anything to be DC coupled. You can press another PCB for the SC1000. The problem I see is that you would need the 301 to accept quadrature control voltages on two DC coupled CV inputs. If you want to do it with a saw tooth wave that has a period of one platter revolution that would be a cheap hack. When the saw tooth resets it is scanning the wavetable backwards very fast instead of going through zero. This would limit the sample length to a loop = one revolution = one period of the saw. It would only be compatible with samplers that have CV control over play head position which is more rare and more prone to glitches or latency.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am

When I first got interested in modular (and I’m still a rookie really) I got chatting with jase at signal sounds,
He mentioned timecode vinyl and I think it was an envelope follower? Sewastopol......

I didn’t understand the module exactly, and mostly I still don’t, hence why I don’t own anything similar!

But some parts of this echo that thought.

And yes, a lot of it is fader techniques, I’d say for sure greater than 50% of the “scratch sound” is fader moves. You can do some open fader vinyl manipulation but not so much, a record simply playing forward with a bunch of twiddles and crabs etc..... happy days.

Some examples of open fader techniques appear here,
It isn’t very good and the fader is mangled but, a video I did some years back. I am by no means legendary!

www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/9728 ... 247192204/

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 pm

D5024D8F-5FDD-4FBC-B586-EC4A94742590.jpeg
so i was experimenting more with the idea of scratching with the synth.
i made a passive crossfader out of a old Vestax 05 pro fader and was using the Mobenthey Mocante as the controller.
The controller was modulating the Fourses.

By moving my finger at the start of the squares on Mocante it simulated the start of the scratch sound. as i moved closer to the center it makess the sound sound like im moving the record faster.

Still gonna experiment with it more.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:37 pm

I have the ecler magnetic fader on the hak 360. the hak 380 is better because you can adjust each side dead spots independently. I should have got the TTM56. that has a better magnetic fader. I still have the stanton with all the optical faders in it. but I jam on someone else's 05 06 07 no problem. the plastic conductive track is fine with me. so here it is.

https://www.audimpex.cz/product/vestax-cf-07-pcv-ssf/
Last edited by EATyourGUITAR on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:51 pm

A vid a did a lil while ago, not really scratching but nice sample scrubbing.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:33 am

The Audio Playback with Scrub algorithm (I6) on the Disting could perhaps be put to use for this?

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm

heres more experiments with scratching with thr synth.

Using Mocante as the record which is modulating Fourses.

subduct
Common Wiggler

Post by subduct » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:38 am

I came up with this completely by accident, which is of course much of the fun of modular!
https://soundcloud.com/subductmusic/20200307a

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 am

tenshun wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm

the fourses is modulating another VCA or VCO? or you are taking the audio from fourses? did you need to add gain to the CV from the mocante to get extreme ranges of pitch from fourses?

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:29 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 am
tenshun wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm

the fourses is modulating another VCA or VCO? or you are taking the audio from fourses? did you need to add gain to the CV from the mocante to get extreme ranges of pitch from fourses?

i am using the square drones output from Mocante as the modulator .Which is sending pitch and FM voltage to the control in on Fourses.

I then have Fourses patched to one of the VCAs of Denum. Just to tame the signal when i move my finger of the square drone .
The square drone output from mocante is also used as amplitude modulation in the VCA of which Fourses is patched into.

The output of the VCA is then plugged into the crossfader from where i can cut the sound in and out.

By moving my hand off and on the copper traces
of Mocante it sort of simulates the “record” being dragged to the beginning of the sound.

That way i can get Stabs , scissor, orbit and flare cuts in.

Still experimenting with it tho!

Hopefully that description makes sense!

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:38 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 am
if you want to scratch on actual samples/recordings- er301 plus a little modulation/control

with the right controller that could be really fun. orthogonal devices have a forum, if you have any questions.
you can get what sounds like turntable abuse from the Tyme Sefari, very easily and with fine control. that may not be what you want though, and i wouldn't much recommend the module - especially given the eurorack explosion / manufacturer plethora [though i didn't much like he phonogene either]. fun though.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:27 pm

he is another practice experiment with scratching using the synth.

Trying to get down hand movements on Mocante that can replicate the movement of sound on a record.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:42 pm

got something like that disting mode working on the er301

and with a button and vca in line haha:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:43 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:42 pm
email the manufacturer of the ER301, ask for a DC coupled firmware. that audio was high pass filtered at 10Hz or something. or maybe it was recorded on your phone.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:22 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:43 am
brandonlogic wrote:
email the manufacturer of the ER301, ask for a DC coupled firmware. that audio was high pass filtered at 10Hz or something. or maybe it was recorded on your phone.
It was recorded on my phone. No audio filtering after the 301. 301’s cv inputs are dc coupled. Audio outputs are not.

seismic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seismic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:36 am

i have made a pd patch on my terminal tedium to play and modulate samples - that coupled with the RIAA phono preamp and a custom vinyl-control external for pd allows to use it like a digital vinyl system, you can use the serato control records. and it doesn't need a lot of computing power. works with a pi zero.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:22 am
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
It was recorded on my phone. No audio filtering after the 301. 301’s cv inputs are dc coupled. Audio outputs are not.
is this done in hardware or software? if this is a software setting then it can be fixed with a firmware update and you can even revert back.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:40 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:22 am
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
is this done in hardware or software? if this is a software setting then it can be fixed with a firmware update and you can even revert back.
It’s a hardware thing. Can’t be changed with firmware.
It’s not an issue anyways. Works/sounds good to me!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am

it sounds like the bottom end was completely filtered out. I started scratching in 1996. have you ever scratched on vinyl? it sounds fine if you are not trying to sound like vinyl but in my opinion there is more tweaking needed to get the frequecy response to match vinyl scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05. I think there is merit in being specific about the goals for the sound. I'm not a hater. everyone is free to make any weird sounds they want. but I think if we give up now we didn't really achieve the goal we set out to achieve in this thread. If I had my turntables I would do my own research but since I got out of the game all I can do is throw food on stage.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:02 am

brandonlogic wrote:

and with a button and vca in line haha:

Sounds pretty damn good to me, and FWIW I have scratched on vinyl before, do I need to post a picture of my Vestax PDX to have my opinion validated?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:09 am

I added "DJ Mode" to the Reflex LiveLoop some time back, it sorta acts like hand spinning and scratch

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am
it sounds like the bottom end was completely filtered out. I started scratching in 1996. have you ever scratched on vinyl? it sounds fine if you are not trying to sound like vinyl but in my opinion there is more tweaking needed to get the frequecy response to match vinyl scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05. I think there is merit in being specific about the goals for the sound. I'm not a hater. everyone is free to make any weird sounds they want. but I think if we give up now we didn't really achieve the goal we set out to achieve in this thread. If I had my turntables I would do my own research but since I got out of the game all I can do is throw food on stage.
Yes i have/do scratch vinyl....
like I said it was recorded on my phone. I’m also moving my finger very fast in these examples, not really any longer slow movements. It can do it just fine.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:18 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
more tweaking needed to get the frequecy response to match vinyl scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05.
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
we didn't really achieve the goal we set out to achieve in this thread.
and lets remind ourselves that the original post said they were looking for "something in the vein of that with eurorack modules" not "scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05" :lol:

something in the vein could as simple as noise through a filter and a vca with the right cv control.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:18 am
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
more tweaking needed to get the frequecy response to match vinyl scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05.
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
we didn't really achieve the goal we set out to achieve in this thread.
and lets remind ourselves that the original post said they were looking for "something in the vein of that with eurorack modules" not "scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05" :lol:
this is turning into an stupid internet argument that I don't want to take part in. I could use the same divisive tactics in conversation. are you saying that someone trying to recreate the sounds of scratching on a technics 1200 MK II with shure M447 into a vestax PMC 05 is somehow disqualified from participating in this thread? are they not trying to create DJ scratch sounds on the modular? I don't care about what people say on the internet. I am going for a walk outside. your post has no low end. you admitted it was recorded on a phone. so no point in defending how good the low end sounds when it is all talk and no proof. I believe you if you say it is good. but calling me out for saying your recording sounds like it was high pass filtered is a bit :foul:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am

You don’t want to take part in, but then you continue to ask questions, and argue :despair:

I’m not going to encourage any further trolling. Peace out!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”