Adding warmth / saturation / crud

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

thelowerrhythm
Veteran Wiggler

Adding warmth / saturation / crud

Post by thelowerrhythm » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 pm

I've been trying to get my computer out of the mix, so to speak, for a while... and I realized just recently that the only thing I really need it for is to add tube / tape saturation and cruddiness / warmth to my mixes. I can get part of the way using filters, but I'm hoping to save them for other tasks, and want to maybe find a solution that sits in between my modular and my Portastudio. I mostly make very still, wall-of-sound drones that go stereo near the end of the chain, and it seems like the Erica Fusion Mixer is a no brainer, and if it doesn't get quite dingy enough I can stick a QPAS after it. Any other suggestions?

As a side note, I'm really happy with the part of this that the Instant Lofi Junky addresses, but it's a bit too heavy handed to use all of the time.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Adding warmth / saturation / crud

Post by scragz » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:20 pm

If you want something in between your modular and recorder, I've heard good things about the Elektron Analog Heat mk2 for doing exactly what you are asking.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Check out instruo tanh.
Real nice saturation/soft cliping and can be pushed to a really pleasant overdrive/distortion. Highly recommended.
It’s also small and affordable.
It has good range from clean to overdrive and real nice tones in between.
Very useful, from simple raw wave shaping to processing an entire mix through it.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Some that I personally like: Xaoc Tallin, Instruo Tanh3, and, if it doesn't necessarily be in the rack, Elektron's Analog Heat is incredibly versatile for this.

Some that I haven't used but I like what I've heard: Plankton Nutone, Doepfer A-136, Happy Nerding Tritone
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:30 pm

I read "crud" as "curd," and thought it was a good way of saying cheese.

Pentode Mk2 Colour from louderthanliftoff?
I'm guessing a 100 grit or an angle grinder is not what you're after...although they do saturation as well as distortion.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Like, the entire Metasonix line? Starting with the RK4, 2, and 3. In that order.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I recently got an OTO Machines Boum, and it's beautiful on the end of a signal chain. You can dial in some subtle effects or go nuts with distortion, compression, and low pass filtering. The Analog Heat is a variation on the theme. Although I have a tanh3 (and recommend it)--it's not nearly as flexible.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:17 pm

boss bx series
TOO FAR GONE

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:17 pm
boss bx series
Or this will give you the same in the rack.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Manresa
Common Wiggler

Post by Manresa » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:36 pm
I recently got an OTO Machines Boum, and it's beautiful on the end of a signal chain. You can dial in some subtle effects or go nuts with distortion, compression, and low pass filtering. The Analog Heat is a variation on the theme. Although I have a tanh3 (and recommend it)--it's not nearly as flexible.
I’ll second the Boum, although I’d say it is really easy to take from “A little crud” to full on sonic mayhem.

In the rack the Noise Engineering Terci Ruina is amazing, and many of the older Pittsburgh Modular modules distort quite easily, to the point where it is hard to make them clean. I also have a WMD TRSHMSTER, but I’m not all that fond of it. It’s too sharp of a cliff from mild to harsh.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:06 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:14 pm
add tube / tape saturation and cruddiness / warmth to my mixes. I can get part of the way using filters, but I'm hoping to save them for other tasks, and want to maybe find a solution that sits in between my modular and my Portastudio.
Sounds like you already have what you need--just run the signal hotter into the Portastudio! No need to fake the tape saturation! Or you can re-record back to tape but hotter so you can have a cleaner track to mix in or re-record if you don't get it right the first time.

Otherwise, the Heat is a great tool for stereo, grunge, smearing, etc. And it can be savvy with the filters that allow you to grunge up specific parts of the spectrum.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Here you go.

If that's not gritty enough there also the Overstayer Modular Channel but that does quite a bit more and costs more. Great piece of gear though. You can destroy things with it. Great to run tracks in parallel with it.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:08 pm

If you can push a signal hard enough through something like a tape recorder's input, the monitored/pass through output will have some subtle coloration. I stress the word "subtle", though. Blasting a signal through an analog gain stage and "tape saturation" are two completely different animals, by the way! Apples and oranges. It would not do to compare them. If you want tape saturation, use tape, or something that at least attempts to emulate tape.

Alternatively, you can make something really nasty with the old shoebox recorder trick, wherein you wire a 1/4 jack or other input to the playback head, which creates a nasty, dirty, extraneously noisy effect.

I once put some computer speakers into an old aluminum trailer from a toy 18 wheeler, placed contact mics on it, and recorded the incoming audio from the speakers through the contact mics vibrating the enclosure. It sounded like traaaaaassssshhhh. But in a potentially good/useful way. I'm sure I recorded some rhythmic stuff through it, but I don't know where the audio is now. Likely on a MiniDisc somewhere amid all of my clutter.

Tread lightly: I destroyed the VU meter on my Realistic SCT-14 recorder doing exactly what's been described (passing a very hot signal through analog gain stages)... The signal was just too much for it, and now the pointer is stuck partway past noon on one channel.

PS: I bought a Malekko SND/RTN mainly intending to use it for an FX send to line level gear (pedals)... Unfortunately, it's a bit noisier than I'd anticipated. Everything that comes back into it through pedals is kind of "cruddy" or murky sounding. This could be a useful means of mixing in coloration with various dirt pedals or the aforementioned audio passthru.
useless

sierraoskar
Common Wiggler

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:26 am

+1 on the Instruo tanh[3] if you want something compact and in the case. It has three channels and can get quite dirty :-)

twentyfive2lyfe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twentyfive2lyfe » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am

I really liked the saturation I got out of an Art Dual MP tube pre. It was cheap on Craigslist, I gave it a friend a while back and replaced it with a more expensive tube amp, but I still think the Dual MP was better for saturation/warmth.

toumpouris
Common Wiggler

Post by toumpouris » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Trogotronic m277

thelowerrhythm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 am

So many great suggestions. I picked up the Erica Fusion Mixer because I found one dirty cheap, and will get a tanh just because it's affordable and sounds really excellent in what I believe was a demo from DivKid (I dunno... I watch modular demos while I fall asleep). I have an ADDAC 603 that does all out distortion pretty well, and a friend has a Spectral Devastator (too much devastation) and a Soma Lyra8FX. I guess it doesn't need to be one solution. I didn't think I'd creep towards distortion as much, but that could be the right direction.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 am

I went with a Lyra8fx (a bit metallic and "boxy" but still nice) and a Belgrad (filter with a tube simulation in the last 15 of the gain knob).
I love putting the two in series
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:14 am

Polyterative wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 am
I went with a Lyra8fx (a bit metallic and "boxy" but still nice) and a Belgrad (filter with a tube simulation in the last 15 of the gain knob).
I love putting the two in series
Oh yeah the LyraFX dirt is fantastic.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:33 am

stay in the computer?
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/dyn ... gewarmer2/

or go all out
https://www.thermionicculture.com/index ... -02-detail

I think sometimes all you need is the right EQ and the right mix. adding saturation increases harmonics. filtering decreases harmonics. a tube module does both. it really depends what you are going for. that depends on what the problem is. I have been mixing for years. I have lots of tricks up my sleeve. I don't think the solution is inserting saturation on the master bus. the solution is subtle modulation on the volume, panning and the filter cutoff. you should definitely use the QPAS for stereo filtering but you need to get the two sides doing different things. you can also look at stereo width techniques. mid side techniques. if you had an allen and heath mix wizard 16 you can do a lot of EQ and panning right there. it also adds subtle warmth because it is a british console. the sends can be used to add reverb, chorus, phasers etc.. when I mixed live shows the production company had multiple rack units each was a multi FX unit. they were hooked into the mix wizard. this allowed us to make a good enough recreation of the reverbs etc... that we heard the band use on the studio album.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:47 pm

I tend to add subtile distorsions on single channels while patching and creating a eurorack tracks whith some of the modules already suggested. I tend to have much better results than doing the mixing and saturation process in the end especially if you work in the box.

For example I sometimes use Tanh3 when a signal is too quite. One thing that usually doesn't happens when I work im the box. Handling levels with different modules that provide subtile saturations is great and tubes are definitive nice but sometimes a waveshaper does the job as well. In eurorack you have to be creative in using saturation from the very first steps of patching. One thing that was very helpfull for me is putting attenuators or vcas before saturation modules that go a bit wilder if you just want some subtile harmonics...

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:42 pm

I like to use one of my doepfer A-132-3 dual vcas for this. Patch the two channels in series and use them as gain stages. There's enough gain to get some saturation... or use two units for four stages :)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:56 pm

i found an old 50s philco tube amp/tape machine that sounds pretty good on craigslist. quirky enough to keep around to anything from add subtle to extreme dirt.. drum machines sound great through it.

guts shot because why not.
Capture.JPG

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:07 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:06 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote:
add tube / tape saturation and cruddiness / warmth to my mixes. I can get part of the way using filters, but I'm hoping to save them for other tasks, and want to maybe find a solution that sits in between my modular and my Portastudio.
Sounds like you already have what you need--just run the signal hotter into the Portastudio! No need to fake the tape saturation! Or you can re-record back to tape but hotter so you can have a cleaner track to mix in or re-record if you don't get it right the first time.

Otherwise, the Heat is a great tool for stereo, grunge, smearing, etc. And it can be savvy with the filters that allow you to grunge up specific parts of the spectrum.
My exact thought... Why would you look for a modular solution to "needs more tape saturation and dirt" when you're already using actual tape? Run it hotter, use shittier tape, or do extra bounces. Ta-da! Now it's more saturated and dirtier!
Hear my music at my Bandcamp site: E T H E R D I V E R

Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:17 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:
I've been trying to get my computer out of the mix, so to speak, for a while... and I realized just recently that the only thing I really need it for is to add tube / tape saturation and cruddiness / warmth to my mixes. I can get part of the way using filters, but I'm hoping to save them for other tasks, and want to maybe find a solution that sits in between my modular and my Portastudio. I mostly make very still, wall-of-sound drones that go stereo near the end of the chain, and it seems like the Erica Fusion Mixer is a no brainer, and if it doesn't get quite dingy enough I can stick a QPAS after it. Any other suggestions?

As a side note, I'm really happy with the part of this that the Instant Lofi Junky addresses, but it's a bit too heavy handed to use all of the time.
Not sure if you've jumped on anything yet but a piece of gear I'm interested in and that I never see talked about is the Drawmer 1976. The demos I've heard sound very pleasing. It's worth a look.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”