sequencer to replace Varigate 8+

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

sequencer to replace Varigate 8+

Post by lisa » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:43 am

Getting a Varigate 8+ was always a gamble for me; I knew that it doesn't really facilitate easy edits of already created tracks which is a big deal. It does have some great features, though. I really enjoy being able to set gate probability and being able to set an intervals, per step, for randomisation of notes, slides and repeats. All and all a new way of working for me that makes me just plow ahead instead of going back to make changes while being rather powerful in a small space.

That said, the bugs/unresponsiveness is starting to grate on me. The fact that it sometimes doesn't register small edits and that some tracks sometimes can't be edited at all is annoying. I've noticed that I'm not using it much anymore. So, I'm considering selling it and I'm trying to figure out what to get instead.

V8+ is 26hp and my case is full so 26hp is the limit. Luckily, there are some sequencers with that exact size: Hermod, ER-101, Toolbox, FLXS1.. and many smaller options, I'm sure. I should say that I'm not very fond of random melody makers. I've had Tuesday and Marbles but they didn't rub me the right way. I should also say that I need to be able to sequence at least two melodic lines and a few separate trig tracks for drums.

What would you recommend?

My case, for context: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1173721
My second ever track using Mutable Instruments Rings. Here paired with Make Noise 0-coast and Arturia DrumBrute and Korg Minilogue. A rather bittersweet piece. ❤️

thebends9
Common Wiggler

Re: sequencer to replace Varigate 8+

Post by thebends9 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am

My response will likely not be helpful at all, but maybe figure out how to trim 12hp and grab an Eloquencer.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 am

Wow ... Lisa I'm going out on a limb here ... but maybe Grids?

EDIT: Perhaps Grids for triggers and an O_C (or other quantizer) to quantize CV into scales. The 26HP restriction is challenging. Some of the Mutable clones are pretty danged little, and there's the uO_C as well. I'm just trying to help. :)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:23 pm

thebends9 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am
My response will likely not be helpful at all, but maybe figure out how to trim 12hp and grab an Eloquencer.
I'm not very keen on trying to carve out 12hp but for the sake of the discussion, say I do. How is Eloquencer a better option than the other sequencers mentioned?
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 am
Wow ... Lisa I'm going out on a limb here ... but maybe Grids?

EDIT: Perhaps Grids for triggers and an O_C (or other quantizer) to quantize CV into scales. The 26HP restriction is challenging. Some of the Mutable clones are pretty danged little, and there's the uO_C as well. I'm just trying to help. :)
I appreciate any attempt at helping me out! :sb:

I've never used Grids but I had Marbels, that I believe has a "Grids light" sort of mode, right? I liked that at first since it was a rather easy way to get a beat going but pretty soon I started feeling unfulfilled by using it. Sure, one can modulate it but it seemed to ge between "not really made by me" at low levels of modulation and utter chaos under major CV. So, not really for me. I like to program my beats.

O_C is great! I have one in my other case. I'd be able to fit three uO_C in 26hp which would cover my needs but I'd rather get something that I haven't tried before.
My second ever track using Mutable Instruments Rings. Here paired with Make Noise 0-coast and Arturia DrumBrute and Korg Minilogue. A rather bittersweet piece. ❤️

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:20 pm

What about a westlicht performer (with a launchpad mini) ?

Edit: oops - 34hp - sorry !

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Just trying to think outside the box. The 26HP limit is a blocker for modules that traditionally have lots of knobs and controls, and where having controls makes them more immediate.

How about a handful of small sequencers?

4 x Tirana https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-tirana-ii

4 x Prizma+ https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doboz-prizma-

I don’t have a Tirana but I do have a Prizma, it’s surprisingly good for the foot print. If I had four of these I’m not sure what I could do, probably 4 times what I or normally do but who knows?

Note the Prizma is two 16 step sequencers with a CV and Trigger out, they can be clocked externally or internally. With 4 you’d have 8 sequencers.

Dual Mini Seq + Prizma

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/division- ... -sequencer

This would give you four sequencers in two varieties. Actually that doesn’t sound lie that great an idea.

What about pressure points and Prizma? I guess you’d need brains to clock the pressure points. But the combination is intriguing.

Of course the ER 101 is exactly 26 hp and does everything.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm

:love: ER101 :love:

NerdSeq is lovely too but not to everyone's taste and doesn't fit your space requirement. The upcoming NerdSeq Portable is 0 hp of course and pretty damn affordable too if the previously expected price holds up.
Gaun Yersel!

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Keystep Pro?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:48 pm

One algorhythm for drum tracks : 12 hp
Four pico SEQ for melodies : 12 hp
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:58 pm

I have the VG8+VB combo and somewhat agree with your experience, but still want to keep it for drum sequencing.
You could consider the Knit Rider in 16hp for 6 trigger tracks and couple with another seq for melodies like Popcorn, Mimetic Digitalis, Octone, uOC depending on your needs/workflow

lionel
Common Wiggler

Post by lionel » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Launchpad pro (the 3 has a step sequencer and a chord sequencer) + Expert sleepers FH-2
Last edited by lionel on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:30 pm

The DNIPro stuff is cool one of each would fit, not very many outs though. 3x Trigger, 3x CV/Gate.
Maybe get an 0-Ctrl or another external sequencer and save that 26 hp for something else, maybe
some more metasonix stuff :)

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Would you consider not being in your case at all? 64 Pixels Noodlebox might fit what you want...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:01 pm

WMD Metron + Voltera?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Lisa, you’re leaving this awfully open-ended. Really the most concrete part of your question is the 26hp limit, and that’s a terrible way to select a sequencer.

Without further guidelines, my default suggestion is to go for a best of breed sequencer that is at least semi-playable and can deliver deliberately planned sequences, while also encouraging exploratory sequencing and generating happy accidents. Examples in no particular order: Ansible (Kria) plus a Monome Grid, or a pod containing a Vector or USTA.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:28 pm

You want a Metronome and Voltera, you just need to rearrange your case or get another one so you can fit it in. I agree with mdoudoroff that picking things based on how big they are as opposed to if they do what you want them to do is a terrible idea.

GhostlyMostly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GhostlyMostly » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Stillson Hammer MK2
Rene MK2
Eloquencer
Keystep pro with one of the above mentioned.

I’m After the Hermod myself but can not recommend due to only studying it from afar. Best wishes with this venture
Everything in life is replaceable, except people.
Joined Aug 13 2011 as Indigo333

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 am

twisted electrons Crazy8 beats
standalone or into the rack

https://twisted-electrons.com/product/crazy8beats/

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look at each one and answer at intervals. :party:
soggybag wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm
Just trying to think outside the box.
Much obliged. Interesting thoughts. However, I'm not sure that four four step sequencers will give me anywhere near the sequencing power that I get from Varigate 8+ or any of the other options (like the ER-101 that you mention). I've never heard of Prizma before and and will check it out.
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm
:love: ER101 :love:

NerdSeq is lovely too but not to everyone's taste and doesn't fit your space requirement. The upcoming NerdSeq Portable is 0 hp of course and pretty damn affordable too if the previously expected price holds up.
I've watched a few videos on the ER-101 and I had a hard time keeping focus. Is the UI of the ER-101 inspiring to work with? Also, every video says that it's great "especially with the expander" but the expander won't fit. Is it great even without the expander?

I used to make music in Protracker for Amiga and in Jeskola Buzz for many years so Nerdseq should really fit me well but it's the same situation for me as with the ER-101 when I watch demo videos; I have a hard time keeping focus. That tends to be a bad sign. I guess I really should try both out, to see if I enjoy the workflow.
wavecircle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:24 pm
Keystep Pro?
Good deal and a great piece of kit but I've noticed that I never use any of the stuff that I have outside the rack to control the rack. I don't know why. :despair:

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 am

lisa wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:43 am
That said, the bugs/unresponsiveness is starting to grate on me. The fact that it sometimes doesn't register small edits and that some tracks sometimes can't be edited at all is annoying. I've noticed that I'm not using it much anymore. So, I'm considering selling it and I'm trying to figure out what to get instead.
Do you have a faulty unit?

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 am

lisa wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 am

wavecircle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:24 pm
Keystep Pro?
Good deal and a great piece of kit but I've noticed that I never use any of the stuff that I have outside the rack to control the rack. I don't know why. :despair:
Just put it right in front of your rack. One of the best out there in terms of cost to function ratio. 4 sequencers/arpeggiators, one of which can be an 8 channel drum computer, keyboard, mod controls etc...

I am tempted to drop my Nerdseq for one. Nerdseq is brilliant but I want more immediacy.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

zauker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zauker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 am

jebusrice wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 am
lisa wrote:
Did you update with the new 2.0 firmware? You would be really kind to let me know because I would like to get a Varigate 8+ but I did not know anything about these bugs and "strange behaviors" and so I'm a little bit worried and I start to think about it. Thank you so much!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:26 am

It takes a bit to wrap your head around the ER101 indeed, videos that explain the basics of it take some time to view. The 102 does add a lot, but it's very much an inspiring and dare I say it, fun device on it's own.

Guess we have the same thing with sequencers, as soon as you try a sequencer at an event or in a friend's rig you know if it's for you or not, was really gunning for Superbooth this year in that respect.. :waah:
Gaun Yersel!

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:58 am

jebusrice wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 am
lisa wrote:
Mine was the same. The bugs drove me crazy, and Malekko weren't exactly helpful.

It's a shame, it could be a great sequencer.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 pm

ericD13 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:48 pm
One algorhythm for drum tracks : 12 hp
Four pico SEQ for melodies : 12 hp
Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't heard of Algorhythm before. But why would this setup with four Pico SEQ be better than any of the 26hp options?
lohacker wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:58 pm
You could consider the Knit Rider in 16hp for 6 trigger tracks and couple with another seq for melodies like Popcorn, Mimetic Digitalis, Octone, uOC depending on your needs/workflow
Yeah, I never tried the Knit Rider. Is it good? I've checked out Popcorn and it's really cool but only one sequence which is a bit thin for me. Also, I could do with more than eight steps, even if the point of Popcorn is to jump around between the eight steps like crazy.

Are Mimetic Digitalis and Octone any good? I've looked at Mimetic Digitalis before but can't remember ever checking out Octone.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”