Anyone know of anything comparable to the Percall?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Anyone know of anything comparable to the Percall?

Post by The_hitcher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Can't seem to find the Percall anywhere online except (possibly) direct. I guess Befaco is based in Europe. Is there anything comparable to it's functionality? Saw a video of someone or other making percussive sounds from noise or radio static. It was pretty cool but it's a somewhat simple enough function. What comes close>?

philipdeman
Common Wiggler

Re: Anyone know of anything comparable to the Percall?

Post by philipdeman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:07 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac106 seems comparable, though also located in Europe

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:11 pm

Just order it from Juno. It’s already cheaper than anywhere in the us and they’ll give you an additional discount if you ask.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Or order it direct from Befaco. Their ordering system is fast and reliable (I got the Percall DIY kit direct to Australia in June in about 4 days despite COVID).

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:12 am

I don't know Juno, and Befaco direct adds about 50 dollars to the price. I guess mostly due to the exchange rate. As for that Addac, are there trigger inputs? I'm kind of just looking for triggered gates with a decay control if that's a thing.

philipdeman
Common Wiggler

Post by philipdeman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:17 am

The ADDAC 106 has 4 voices, each of which can be triggered, either by a gate or trigger or by any other CV signal that can be set to be converted to a trigger as soon as a threshold is passed. You can then set the decay individually for each voice. From the description:

"At each voice input there’s a switch which sets which type of input to use, this signal will be used to control an internal VCA hence why the type of setting defined here is important:
1. Trigger - Any incoming CV will be converted into a 1ms trigger as soon as it crosses its fixed threshold.
2. Mute - This disconnects then incoming signal effectively muting the voice.
3. Envelopes - This can be used with CV sources as well as Gate sources and simply follows the input signal.

This incoming signal will then be processed by a slew circuit which adds a decay factor allowing the user to set the “Tail” of each voice."

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am

You’re not looking for a module that will generate sounds, just one that provides an envelope and a VCA right? For instance, noise into input and trigger/gate in to fire a decay envelope that opens the VCA and out comes a (very simple) hi-hat?

Bastl Skis is a very easy to use option. Or Doepfer has a quad decay envelope you can pair with a quad VCA. Or just get a couple different envelopes and a couple different vcas/lpgs.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:07 am

Exactly Addam. I like that the ADDAC adds the drum voices, but I'm just looking more for an input to be gated with a decay control. I'll check Bastl. Control Modular actually has the percall in stock, but I like to pick brains before I jump on something.

Edit: Looks like I could get two skis for the price or less than the percall and get the 4 channels if needbe.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 am

Skis will do it. Some nice little bonus features included, too (though I'm sure percall is also good). Check the buy/sell forum too - they pop up for cheap every once in a while.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks! And thank you to MW in general. I'm still finding my way after about 2 years. You guys are always helpful, knowledgeable and usually not too harsh on noobs.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:47 am

SSF PTG is an interesting option.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 am

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 am

It's really just 4 vcas and 4 decay envelopes in one module. I don't think you can adjust the attack time.

There's a few modules around that combine the two.
Galilean Moons, Cosmotronic Delta for example. (these include attack envelopes too, but there's only 2 channels instead of 4)

Or just pair some vcas with envelopes. ;)

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 pm

Just a word of caution with Juno shipping lately (and likely most basic shipping from the EU). Their Royal Mail option took about 6-7 weeks recently for my last module order due to COVID issues. so while its cheap, it does take a long time.

i've been looking for other options as well, but i think the Choke feature in the percall does save a lot of extra cabling as well as a need for logic and mults.
Last edited by nrg242 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1960strat
Common Wiggler

Post by 1960strat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Percall is pretty awesome, I would try to track one down

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 pm

The differences between percall and skis ii are...

Percall has volume/level control, choke, mix out, funky all channel modulator that extends/shortens all 4 channels.

Skis ii has normalised trigger inputs, gate hold, independent vca from envelope (so both can be used separately), mix out (if you do some solder hackery), 2hp less (assuming you get 2). Original skis has some other features and longer envelopes.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:33 am

Not sure. You might be able to create the same thing with a combination of modules, but Percall is such a well thought out module, that I say if you want it, definitely get it.

Matt_L
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Matt_L » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:12 pm

Just wanted to vouch for dealing with Befaco directly. Ordered from them three times -- I'm in Washington, DC, and I received every shipment quickly.

If you're looking for alternative VCA+EG combos, maybe the WMD Javelin (if you only need a single VCA, but has ADSR) or the Cosmotronic Delta-V (dual VCA+AD). If you only need the Decay envelope, then maybe the Patching Panda Punch? Hell, maybe even a LPG like Optomix, since it has a Damp function, if you wanted some filter functionality too.

The Percall is a great module. Not the most versatile of modules (ie not having control over Attack) but extremely effective, in terms of HP and ease of use, at what it does.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am

Pulled the trigger on the Percall from Control. I'm pumped for some weirdness. Gonna feed all types of strange stuff through this thing. Been migrating away from standard synth voices and more into audio mangling in my rack. Thanks for all the tips! Time to let my cc recover for now.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”