THE SEARCH FOR A NEW FILTER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

MyFriendRa
Learning to Wiggle

Re: THE SEARCH FOR A NEW FILTER

Post by MyFriendRa » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:11 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:07 am
oh yeah, forgot to subtract the first filter for the serial routing. I'm sick and my head hurts so I'm going to bow out of further discussion on this right now haha
Patching is a known remedy! Did a re:edit. But yes get well soon!

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 am

Belgrad - dual peak filter, and you can FM, CV Res, Span, Peak ratio. Tons of options for sculpting sounds.
It's a particular sound of SVF so check the demos first.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:30 am

Filters my god, have/had a ton, from wasp to Dr Octature, to Moogs, Synthi, ..Cwejman RES4, Belgrad, Polivoks, etc etc...all of them are good or bad depending what you are looking for. :lol:

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks for the tips on parallel/serial crossfading. Hard to wrap my head around but not that complicated to patch. I think it'd be easy to do with something like Mutable Frames as well, which (AFAIK) can act as two crossfaders.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 am

I have the Funkstill Filterthreek. So far my best Eurorackfilter I ever had (I had like 20). It sits next to my Belgrad. The Belgrad is cleaner and sounds very good, but a bit boring compared to the FilterThreek. The Threek has loads of character and with those 3 reso modes it has tons of variation. I will provide an example soon. It does sound very 80ies. Perfecdt for synthpop and retropop.

lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lasesentaysiete » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:45 am

MyFriendRa wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 am
EDIT: New filter for the list. LA67 LR4 - crossover filter. [...]
Seems like a good module to add to any system as a supporting feature rather than a dedicated filter - is that a fair guestimation?
Yes. The LR4 can perform typical LP, BP, & HP duties, but it lacks the Q control that makes a typical VCF most fun. It is not a character filter, but a useful tool, as you mention.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:36 pm

anybody mention WMD Overseer yet? you can get quad peak bandpass going on and the master control is perfect for sweeping from LP to HP. plus it's only 8hp and stereo!

also I got it for its "sterile" quality, which the OP mentioned was desirable

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 pm

try an AJH Gemini

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 pm

To agree with indexofmetals...

The AJH Gemini is dual, has variable outs on both channels, cv able crossfading between both filters, and more.
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

MyFriendRa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MyFriendRa » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:49 am

smoo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 am
I have the Funkstill Filterthreek. So far my best Eurorackfilter I ever had (I had like 20). It sits next to my Belgrad. The Belgrad is cleaner and sounds very good, but a bit boring compared to the FilterThreek. The Threek has loads of character and with those 3 reso modes it has tons of variation. I will provide an example soon. It does sound very 80ies. Perfecdt for synthpop and retropop.
Smoo, ooo thanks for this. The only thing I find odd about the Threek is the assignable attenuators etc. You thoughts on that?

But yes that is quite a endorsement! Have you owned a Three Sisters , Vibrazum, Altar , or Polaris?

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:48 am

I used the Filter Threek on every sound on that track except the pads (Quantum and Hydrasynth) and the drums . No other filters involved, no EQ and no compression or other plugins. Reverb Quantec QRS and SSSR. Delays: Erebus 3 a d Dub Jr V2.

https://soundcloud.com/sagezahn-smoo/fi ... =clipboard

MyFriendRa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MyFriendRa » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:02 pm

smoo wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:48 am
I used the Filter Threek on every sound on that track except the pads (Quantum and Hydrasynth) and the drums . No other filters involved, no EQ and no compression or other plugins. Reverb Quantec QRS and SSSR. Delays: Erebus 3 a d Dub Jr V2.

https://soundcloud.com/sagezahn-smoo/fi ... =clipboard
Great stuff, that convertible into the sunset sound. :sb: thanks for sharing

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:30 am

MyFriendRa wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:49 am
smoo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 am
Smoo, ooo thanks for this. The only thing I find odd about the Threek is the assignable attenuators etc. You thoughts on that?

But yes that is quite a endorsement! Have you owned a Three Sisters , Vibrazum, Altar , or Polaris?
I think the assignable attenuators are a nice. It helps to save some space and it makes patching faster for me. I use CV1 all the time (without patching) so control the Resonance with the Cutoff as I like it over the octaves. My previous filters I compare are none of the ones you mentionned, but I know:

(sure I forgot some)

Belgrad (still in my rack)
Cinnamoon
Synthesis 440
Gemini (still in my rack)
SSF WMD MMF
Doepfer Wasp
Doepfer Morphing Filter (still have that)
Several Ladder Filters (Doepfer, Analogue Systems and more)
Division 6
Analogue Systems 110 Multimode Filter (still have that somewhere)
Livewire Steiner Parker Synthacon
AMSynths Jupiter 6
AmSynths Diodefilter
Tiptop Z2040 (V2)
Oakley COTA (one of the nicest filters I have ever heard)
(as its Eurorack compatible)
Behringer K2, Model D, Pro 1, still have them)

If I had to choose one filter of them it would clearly be the Funkstill Filter Threek. It not only sounds wonderful, but its also extremely flexible. I also like the COTA, Model D, Gemini and the Synthesis 440. The Belgrad is a good one as its so flexible, but too less character for me. The Filter I like the least is the MMF :-). But is very small and thats why still in my rack.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:41 pm

smoo - thanks for sharing the Filter Threek. Just for posterity though, the Livewire VCF is a Steiner Parker Synthasystem VCF (unless you have a one off of some sort).

Morphing between filter types is an under implemented function. It would take less space built into a module than to use multiple modules of course.

I think I'll buy a second either Doepfer A-124 Wasp of SEM A-106-5 to experiment with. Likely the Wasp.

Someone please buy my Rings. It is for a good cause/experiment. :mrgreen:
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:20 pm

yes it was the Synthasystem VCF. I just didnt remember what the name was.

Doepfer WASP is nice, but not in the same league aa the Filterthreek. If you have a Erebus 3 - you dont need any other SEM Filter. The one inside is a very good SEM sounding filter.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”