Mic to audio processing module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Andy137
Common Wiggler

Mic to audio processing module

Post by Andy137 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:15 pm

I didn't used microphones in it's 'traditional' form, only field recorder. But I think about buying dedicated microphone. I'm interested in cheapest one just to work with Clouds or other audio processing modules (Pico DSP, Zverb etc...). The question is: should mic have 3.5mm jack or XLR (and after that XLR to 3.5mm jack adapter)? I've read some mics need direct boxes for amplyfing... What modular chain would it be? Do I need Input module?

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mic to audio processing module

Post by flashheart » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Yes, you will need an input module, mic levels are way lower than modular levels. Dozens to choose from.
Direct boxes do not amplify, they're used to match instrument levels to mic preamp inputs.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:41 pm

If you're not particularly picky about the mic then I would just go with an inexpensive dynamic mic with a 3.5mm plug or 3.5mm adapter and then you can take your pick among amplification modules to boost the signal level up to modular levels.

Andy137
Common Wiggler

Post by Andy137 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 am

Thank you friends for suggestions!

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm

After you get your cable conversions figured out, think about getting one of these - Analogue Systems RS-35 EXTERNAL SOURCE PROCESSOR ($ 229.95) -
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 1.06.30 PM.png
Preamp, Pitch to Voltage converter, Envelope Follower with slew in one module. Envelope Followers are common with Eurorack input modules, but not Pitch to Voltage converters. Use monophonic instruments or your voice to drive your synth.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm

I feel like i have been dropping this suggestion alot lately but its an underrepresented cool module

https://lzxindustries.net/products/sensory-translator

I normally take the mic into my mackie vlz mixer then the alt out into this but like the A119 and the as-35 it gives alot of envelopes or triggers and also has five BP filter outs and a bacis eq. Im starting to think ill pair this when the money is there with the befaco instrument interface like brandonlogic, it seems the perfect single channel in the rack solution to fro a mic pre.

Andy137
Common Wiggler

Post by Andy137 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:46 pm

neonmercury1 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm
I feel like i have been dropping this suggestion alot lately but its an underrepresented cool module

https://lzxindustries.net/products/sensory-translator

I normally take the mic into my mackie vlz mixer then the alt out into this but like the A119 and the as-35 it gives alot of envelopes or triggers and also has five BP filter outs and a bacis eq. Im starting to think ill pair this when the money is there with the befaco instrument interface like brandonlogic, it seems the perfect single channel in the rack solution to fro a mic pre.
Thank you. Cool module, beyond my budget but several functions make me keep it in mind.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:44 pm

If you are using a microphone you will need to amplify the microphone to modular levels.
I will assume that you want to stay inside eurorack.
Also, I assume that you have a modulargrid account, if not you need one.
On modular grid I would use the search criteria "envelope follower" as a first search for an input module.
One that comes to mind is Ears by Mutable instruments.

Ears on modulargrid

I just searched on modulargrid and I see there are many modules that can amplify a microphone.
Doepfer has an envelope follower and amplifier

Doepfer A-119

Anyway, modulargrid has almost any module available for Eurorack.
Unfortunately there is no search criteria for amplifier, but I have seen a number of them.
They are just listed under some other search terms.
I think external might be a good search term if you just want an amplifier, and not the envelope follower part of the module.

Erica synths make a small input only module called, Hmm... "Input"

Erica pico input

Well, maybe now you can search for yourself.
Best of luck
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 pm

I use the ES Little Mikey, it does'nt have all the nifty features of Befaco unit, but it
does have phantom power and +60 db of gain. Also it's $100 cheaper, interestingly
I only have one hardware synth that is mono out, really need to get another little
mikey actually.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”