NLC's A Plague of Demons

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

license
Learning to Wiggle

Re: NLC's A Plague of Demons

Post by license » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 am

daphnid wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm
Every single NLC in house demo sounds exactly the same lmao. I have no idea what any module is doing in any demo, it's all just a wall of analog barf. I love it. Cracks me up every time, in a comedy through repetition kinda way.
Yes! I love it, especially the videos where Randy barks at the end but you can't hear him because all the audio is coming from Andrew's giant system. Like, no, you are in NLC hell and there is no escape.

Seriously, though, I appreciate any pointers on 8-Bit Cipher. I feel like I'm not getting the most out of it and I'm thinking of swapping it for one of the other NLC gate/logic modules that I might have better luck getting my head around. Maybe it just needs more auxiliary logic or clock dividers to feed the data/strobe inputs in a more interesting way.

On the other hand, PoD is really clicking for me lately. I'm using it as much like an effect as an oscillator and it gunks stuff up beautifully, especially at low frequencies (i.e. the spot where the lights go batshit). I built mine during the alphapotcalypse this summer, though, and I used a substitute with center detent. That's no good for dialing in that particular sweet spot. I need to swap that out.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:06 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
If you can photo a close up of the board we could see whether or not it's an audio or cv board. They just have different caps and resistors in places.
20201104_110325.jpg
20201104_111800.jpg

I cannot identify the caps or resistors, but I hope this pic is clear enough.
Last edited by Peng33 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Edit: Wrong on my part :doh: . Peng33's custard is CV rate. If the components around where he took the second pic have a 10k silkscreen and have a resistor value with 473 (47k) on it, then it is CV. If you measure the cap values that are labeled 473 and 224 they should be 1uf on the cv version and 220nf(224)/47nf(473) on the audio rate version.
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:09 pm
Words
Thanks. Just looked at the schematic right after posting this, and all the resistors appeared to be the audio rate ones, so that is what I guessed.

Thanks for your confirmation. This will help immensely in where to place it within my rack that I am currently in the process of redoing, and in how to optimally use it.

One question, then...can you run audio into it to have it mangle the outgoing audio? I have been using it by running LFOs/signals from the Chaotica and the like into it and getting out choppy, slightly drone-y results.

So are the ins to be used to affect it with modulation and use it as a "voice," or are the ins in audio rate to be used as an FM-esque source to affect the outgoing "voice"? Or to mangle incoming audio? Or all of the above?

And you mentioned above using it as an FM source...so the Plague of Demons, as an example, has an FM input. So seemingly using it to FM the PoD would be an ideal situation.

Again, thanks for the help.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:13 pm

If you have access to the build docs, they go into detail on what you can do with the inputs. From what I remember, I never really used the inputs because the default tones out of it reminded me of certain FM horn sounds of the FB-01, which I tend to love.

I personally prefer using sines to modulate fm, but the waveforms out of the brain custard could work as well. With FMing I find attenuation to be key in getting good results. Generally using the ext mod for audio fm and the fm env for cv gives nice tones. A great accompanying osc for the POD is FMOGRE. It outputs a nice sine that can be folded and mangled with the feedback knob. If you have another osc with sine output I would slap it next to the POD instead of the Custard.

P.S. If anyone is trying to find more info beyond the descriptions on the NLC website, download the build document linked on each modules page. It usually goes into more detail about ways to use the module, design inspiration etc...

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 am

Edited my post few back to correct a mistake. Peng33, if you see this , you have a cv rate custard.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 am

Yeah, I was wondering why I could SORT of get audio rate, but not really. I thought it might have been another NLC quirk where you really needed to work with it to get something usable.

I just know I used the outs by themselves as a "beat," running through the LPG on the Vactrol Mix on my Turing Machine.

Also made my Plague of Demons sing running it into the FM input.

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed that it is not audio rate. I have plenty of modulation sources but could definitely use another source.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

The seller definitely should have disclosed the type, especially since the audio rate one is so much more commonly built. If you know someone who is half decent with an iron, the swap is pretty easy. Only about a dozen components to remove and replace. I recently swapped them out for a fellow member here, painless operation and much more usable range after imo.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:46 pm

I guarantee the seller didn't know...bought it from Music-Go-Round online, and there is no way the clerks there would have known.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Oh, very interesting. Kind of surprised they bought DIY stuff. But that's very cool that NLC is getting more mainstream attention.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 am

I think a few of the stores were taking a gamble on Eurorack, and were not that knowledgeable about it, other than looking online for the going price. Kinda upset I missed out on a Pittsburgh Modular Game System and a TINRS Tuesday. Was waiting for eBay funds to clear, and they were gone. Got my Elby Designs Chaotica and the Brain Custard for $270 for both, though, so not THAT upset.

jabberbased
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jabberbased » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 pm

license wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:01 am
jabberbased wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm
mmpingo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 pm
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 pm
I'm guessing sloths(triple sloth) is the most popular module by him, I love what it can do but it isn't even in my top 30 of NLC.
What's the top 5?
1. Divine Cmos
2. Plague of Demons
3. 8-bit cipher
4. I can't believe it's not a vco
5. Feague or Wangernumb. they are both very useful for many great roles.

Double Penetration filter would be a honorable mention.
How do you use these? I'm wondering particularly about the 8-Bit Cipher and PoD because I have one of each in my rack. PoD seems to have a ton of potential, but I never feel like I'm getting anywhere close to it. Similarly, I use 8-Bit Cipher as a silly trigger sequencer most of the time.

Andrew's Divine CMOS demo sounded amazing on audio and it seems generally useful for CV as well. ICBINAV seems like a really cool take on both pinged filters and some kind of weird LPG.
So for 8-bit cipher I typically use it for 4 CV sources for Pitch, and related cv. The gates are great for drums.
The ICBINAV is really the best buchla bongo imho.
Divine Cmos really for me is fantastic to take two vco's and use the out to the exp-fm of one, or both of the vcos. Very Rungler like in some levels. but far more range imho. Plus you get the gate outs which are great for timing other items in your patch.
It also sounds great for fm'ing filters, like the ICBINAV. Only Issue I have with this filter is that you can't ping it while also receiving input on vcf in.
Like say with the Serge VCFQ.
I'll upload some demos to show how nice the icbinav is when fm'd and triggered.
Wangernumb as a clock divider is great if you patch back into itself, and the randomness from the roulette input is a nice touch for driving periodic changes in your patch.
Feague because it's great at vco/lfo, great filter, and fm's very well.
Wysiwygler

Return to “Eurorack Modules”