NLC's A Plague of Demons

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Re: NLC's A Plague of Demons

Post by Peng33 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm

jabberbased wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 pm
Flexyflier wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 am
I really love the NLC modules...
Me too ;)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q1qTgZSigJAQQVj49
That's crazy.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 am

far wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Also going off topic from PoD but Jerk Off is my fave NLC module. Literally use it in every patch for adding organic sounding slight variance in envelopes or LFO's etc.
Not sure if it's not as widely available(?) as I think it was one of NLC's first Eurorack modules, I'm pretty sure it was NLC's first workshop module or if the Hypster covers similar territory, I haven't tried Hypster.
Hypster is an Ian Fritz design so, at a guess, I'd say they'd be complementary. After your comments about Jerk Off, I'm considering both!
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am

Prunesquallor wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 am
far wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm
Also going off topic from PoD but Jerk Off is my fave NLC module. Literally use it in every patch for adding organic sounding slight variance in envelopes or LFO's etc.
Not sure if it's not as widely available(?) as I think it was one of NLC's first Eurorack modules, I'm pretty sure it was NLC's first workshop module or if the Hypster covers similar territory, I haven't tried Hypster.
Hypster is an Ian Fritz design so, at a guess, I'd say they'd be complementary. After your comments about Jerk Off, I'm considering both!
Sweet, I should of added 'heavily attenuated' to the 'slight variance' in my comment, but yeah I love it, it can at times add an interesting ryhtym as well to the patch.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Are the gate outs from Cellular Automata at a constant voltage, or is it changing, i'm thinking its the later because in his video it seems like the gates produces different steps of CV. I guess thats what it means with "CV pattern" in the description for it, because i'm not sure you would say a normal gate produces CV other than a "boring" constant one.. hard to say though, there were other modules used as well so...

Getting mine today or tomorrow, will be interesting. It's always a bit of a crap shot with these modules, very few demos etc and if its one from NLC its often not used how i would use it in my setup.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:55 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 pm
are the gates of from numberwang really chaotic or are they more controlled / rhythmical, or a mix of chaotic and controlled?
There's nothing chaotic or random about Numberwang. It takes a 4 bit digital value and maps it to one of 16 discreet outputs.
A low gate on all four inputs maps to output 1, a high gate on all 4 inputs maps to output 16. Plugging a 4 bit counter (clock divider with /2,/4, /8, /16 outputs) will make it run from output 1 to outputs 2, 3... to output 16 as the counter progresses.
You can use it as a clock divider, as a sequencer etc. I like to send the outputs to the VCAM nodes to patch complex switches.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 pm

huffnPuff wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:55 pm
bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 pm
are the gates of from numberwang really chaotic or are they more controlled / rhythmical, or a mix of chaotic and controlled?
There's nothing chaotic or random about Numberwang. It takes a 4 bit digital value and maps it to one of 16 discreet outputs.
A low gate on all four inputs maps to output 1, a high gate on all 4 inputs maps to output 16. Plugging a 4 bit counter (clock divider with /2,/4, /8, /16 outputs) will make it run from output 1 to outputs 2, 3... to output 16 as the counter progresses.
You can use it as a clock divider, as a sequencer etc. I like to send the outputs to the VCAM nodes to patch complex switches.
That is very helpful. Thanks!

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Yes, good to know. I ended up with Cellular Automata instead, i'm super happy with it, i think i made the right choice.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:32 pm

yeah if you want Numberwang, but a little chaotic, you want Wangernumb. the Roulette jack coupled with the built in filter gives you a wide range of random-esque gates. you can have it so it’s just trickling out gates or absolutely exploding, or just set it on something rhythmic for the track. it does have a problem with triggers so I put a doepfer a-162 on the front of it to be able to control the gate, which solves the trigger sensitivity and gives you another variable to chop up timing with. highly recommend it, use can use it as a raw PLL voice as well and just a simple binary counter if you want predicable.

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 pm
I'm guessing sloths(triple sloth) is the most popular module by him, I love what it can do but it isn't even in my top 30 of NLC.
What's the top 5?

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Batch asked this a page back. I went into a bit of detail on why I like each of them. A concise list of what I like most right now would be

A Plague of demons

Resonate

Dispersion Delay

Hypster

Divine CMOS

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm

3hands wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Im going to become an 8 year old and say Numberwang is my new favourite word.

You're welcome.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm
3hands wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Im going to become an 8 year old and say Numberwang is my new favourite word.

You're welcome.

Haha thank you sir!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

jabberbased
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jabberbased » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm

mmpingo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 pm
I'm guessing sloths(triple sloth) is the most popular module by him, I love what it can do but it isn't even in my top 30 of NLC.
What's the top 5?
1. Divine Cmos
2. Plague of Demons
3. 8-bit cipher
4. I can't believe it's not a vco
5. Feague or Wangernumb. they are both very useful for many great roles.

Double Penetration filter would be a honorable mention.
Wysiwygler

license
Learning to Wiggle

Post by license » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:01 am

jabberbased wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm
mmpingo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 pm
What's the top 5?
1. Divine Cmos
2. Plague of Demons
3. 8-bit cipher
4. I can't believe it's not a vco
5. Feague or Wangernumb. they are both very useful for many great roles.

Double Penetration filter would be a honorable mention.
How do you use these? I'm wondering particularly about the 8-Bit Cipher and PoD because I have one of each in my rack. PoD seems to have a ton of potential, but I never feel like I'm getting anywhere close to it. Similarly, I use 8-Bit Cipher as a silly trigger sequencer most of the time.

Andrew's Divine CMOS demo sounded amazing on audio and it seems generally useful for CV as well. ICBINAV seems like a really cool take on both pinged filters and some kind of weird LPG.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:56 pm
For taking marbles outputs and doing stuff with them I wouldn't use either. I would grab a Hypster or maybe a neuron difference rectifier. Another cool option would the 8bit cipher or cellular automata sequencer. Could get a lot of milage from marbles with any of those.
Ended up going with a Turing Machine with Volts, Voltages, Pulses and the Worng adaptation of the Vactrol Mix expander. Got a Chaotica (another Ian Fritz design) and a Brain Custard ($270 for both). Waiting for the TM and expanders to arrive, so lately I have been feeding the three Chaotica outputs into the three Brain Custard inputs, wiggling the nine Brain Custard knobs a bit, and trying to get...something...out.

So far, I have used the Brain Custard as a voice (sort of), drum triggers, and as a modulation source (kind of). Chaos into chaos might be chaos overkill...

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:53 pm
Ended up going with a Turing Machine with Volts, Voltages, Pulses and the Worng adaptation of the Vactrol Mix expander. Got a Chaotica (another Ian Fritz design) and a Brain Custard ($270 for both). Waiting for the TM and expanders to arrive, so lately I have been feeding the three Chaotica outputs into the three Brain Custard inputs, wiggling the nine Brain Custard knobs a bit, and trying to get...something...out.

So far, I have used the Brain Custard as a voice (sort of), drum triggers, and as a modulation source (kind of). Chaos into chaos might be chaos overkill...
Did you get the cv or audio version of the brain custard? That would determine how much useful cv you could wrangle out of it. Seems like a nice amount of chaos you have going either way. Overkill wise, a few attenuators can open up a lot of subtle stuff when dealing with chaotic modulation. if you're worried about rack space, a little stomp box attenuator can do wonders with modulation in general.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:32 pm
Peng33 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Did you get the cv or audio version of the brain custard? That would determine how much useful cv you could wrangle out of it. Seems like a nice amount of chaos you have going either way. Overkill wise, a few attenuators can open up a lot of subtle stuff when dealing with chaotic modulation. if you're worried about rack space, a little stomp box attenuator can do wonders with modulation in general.
Unfortunately, I got it used from Music Go Round, amazingly enough, so there was no way for me to know beforehand. If there is any visual indicator on the PCB or anything to tell me that you know about, that would be helpful.

I have a triple attenuator, and just picked up one with 7 attenuators (!) in like 3 or 4 HP or something, but that is being dedicated to the Nearness I also purchased, which, not coincidentally, has seven inputs. Hoping the attenuators work to turn down the level of audio as well as they narrow the voltage of CV.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm

If you can get audio rate out of the brain custard , then it is most likely an audio build. Audio rate is the default that most people build. If you can photo a close up of the board we could see whether or not it's an audio or cv board. They just have different caps and resistors in places. Should be no worries either way for your setup. I prefer audio rate brain custard for some vco/filter fm madness and cv rate for weird jiggy type stuff. All very good in patches imo.

Most attenuators work fine on cv and audio, I like 100k linear as a resistance for both, but I might be crazy and others have favorite values they like.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Most attenuators work fine on cv and audio, I like 100k linear as a resistance for both, but I might be crazy and others have favorite values they like.
As luck would have it...
20201028_160824.jpg
20201028_160927.jpg
Gotta take the Brain Custard out to take a pic. Will happen soon-ish, when I get a few modules on order.

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 am
batch wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 am
@NeolithicElectrophones - what are your top 5 or so NLC modules? I have Triple Sloths which I love and am clearing some space in my case and want to add some more but e choice is a little overwhelming.
Not sure if this will help or make it even more confusing, might help to see your rack and know what kind of stuff you want to make, but here it goes...

VCOs-

A Plague of demons-for the reasons stated above

Cem3340- not sure why this isn't talked about more often in 3340 discussions tbh. Solid as heck and the pan pulse is really unique sounding.

Filters-

Resonate- If the DIY vactrols are matched well the amount of tone sculpting you can get is really crazy. Resonance can scream when cranked but also be dialed in well.Adds a lot of weight to simple waveforms and complex audio alike.

Dispersion delay- Three cascading or independent bandpass filters each coupled to a pt2399 echo ic. Can get anything from smooth and wonderful lo-fi type tape loop textures all the way to cranked glitchy madness on it.

Modulation
Feague- Although it's a filter as well, the quadrature sine outs in LFO mode are great for panning patches and setting up rhythmic drones.

Hypster- Hard to describe what i love about it so much, I guess while some chaotic signals can get sharp quickly, I find most of the chaos NLC designs has a more rounded and "blurpy" organic feel.

Logic
Divine CMOS- Another one I don't see mentioned much, but if you like pseudo-ring modulated weirdness it's really fun. I enjoy feeding it a signal and routing the outputs into frames then putting the mix out of that into a reverb. Sweep with a sine on frames and its can get really nice sounds.

Divide and conquer- Favorite analog clock divider in euro. Nice to have odd outs.

Honorable mention-

Giant bono. This one actually might be my favorite concept and the ergonomics are great with smaller knobs than davies, I just don't end up using it enough so it isn't in the top category and is currently shelved. But oh man, send it into elements in ringified mode and the textures are insanely gorgeous imo.
How do you like the feague as a VCO?

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:55 pm

EASYBOY wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm
How do you like the feague as a VCO?
It tracks pretty well, the feedback adds some nicer "hairy" distortion to the waveform. Without the res all the way off it drops off in amplitude as you lower the cutoff. I have a few FMOgres I prefer for sine oscillator duty and tend to use the feague in quadrature lfo mode only, so I'm sure someone who uses it more in vco mode could chime in better than I.
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Every single NLC in house demo sounds exactly the same lmao. I have no idea what any module is doing in any demo, it's all just a wall of analog barf. I love it. Cracks me up every time, in a comedy through repetition kinda way.

I just bought a Dispersion Delay based on this demo:

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousincl ... delay-demo

Can't wait to get it, I mean, vactrol filters and glitched out karaoke delay chips? I'm a total whore for bandpass filters and weird delays but didn't know it existed until this thread, so thanks Muffs. I'd love to try every single one of Andrew's modules but with limited funds and rack space it's hard to decide what is going to really work for me. Informative demos are hard to find on youtube for most of them. I mean they're relatively obscure, cult modules and there are so fucking many of them.

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 pm

daphnid wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm
Every single NLC in house demo sounds exactly the same lmao. I have no idea what any module is doing in any demo, it's all just a wall of analog barf. I love it. Cracks me up every time, in a comedy through repetition kinda way.
Blasphemy! :foul: Love the demos, dry and concise with scope shots, yes please!

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:05 pm

daphnid wrote:
I just bought a Dispersion Delay based on this demo:

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousincl ... delay-demo
You won't be disappointed. One of the best modules to get deep textures from a single source in euro I've tried yet. :sb:

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:23 am

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 pm
daphnid wrote:
Blasphemy! :foul: Love the demos, dry and concise with scope shots, yes please!
Wait, but I love the demos too!

lol maybe I'm just too dumb to know what's actually going on in a meaningful way and connect the dots to my workflow, scopes usually don't help me at all to understand the musicality of a module unless the function is super basic. That demo I linked to doesn't have anything in it that sounds like music I'd make but I can hear the module working in a way that I know I can use musically. It's little things like that that I can grasp on to. Basically it's sounds rather than specs or functions, that help me decide on something, unless it's a very sober utility module like Clump or MI Blinds.

Super stoked to get the Dispersion Delay though. It's one of those things I know I'll love already. Haven't been disappointed with an NLC module yet, but I tend to only order the simple ones that I understand. Clump and the Buchla envelope follower are next most likely. I love that NLC makes all this insane shit but also fills all these basic utility voids in eurorack, and even when doing the more basic things it's always smart and fun/easy to use and has character.

I'm very attracted to nonlinear modules in general but I can't tell what's going to come out of them until I try putting what I have into them, which makes the more wild ones hard understand until I actually get them in hand.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”