Wavefonix Modular System

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Re: Wavefonix Modular System

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am
Looks good. But it's missing the Poly-8 my friend :hihi:
True, I think I might put all of the Poly-8 modules in a separate, dedicated case. Should be good. I'm also going to start working on the Poly-8 Processor (VCF, VCA, mixer) module soon and try and get that done.

Thanks for the Poly-8 VCO order by the way Murat! Just waiting for the potentiometers to arrive and it should be done in the next week.

Thanks,
Chris

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:35 am

Chris Willocks wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am
deft_bonz wrote:
True, I think I might put all of the Poly-8 modules in a separate, dedicated case. Should be good. I'm also going to start working on the Poly-8 Processor (VCF, VCA, mixer) module soon and try and get that done.

Thanks for the Poly-8 VCO order by the way Murat! Just waiting for the potentiometers to arrive and it should be done in the next week.

Thanks,
Chris
Don't thank me yet. Maybe I'll rip its heart out in a brutal honest review video :slapfight: :lol:

I still don't know how I can put it to use. But I'll figure something out. Have 8 Voltera channels, that could sequence the Poly-8 :sb:

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Chris Willocks wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 pm
The classic panels are surprisingly nice, especially with the black and silver knobs. Wish I'd done it from the start really.
Not sure if you mean "black panels, exclusively" or "both silver and black from the start", but for what it's worth I'm one of those people who is drawn to your aesthetic in part because of the silver panels. I certainly hope you'll keep offering the modules in both colors. :tu:

The 12U system is looking good, by the way! :hail:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:23 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:35 am
Chris Willocks wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am
deft_bonz wrote:

Thanks,
Chris
Don't thank me yet. Maybe I'll rip its heart out in a brutal honest review video :slapfight: :lol:

I still don't know how I can put it to use. But I'll figure something out. Have 8 Voltera channels, that could sequence the Poly-8 :sb:
I'm confident you'll be happy with it. Sounds good with the eight CEM3340s. Although I'd certainly welcome any reviews or demos etc. I'll try and get the other Poly-8 modules done as soon as I can.
deftinwulf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Chris Willocks wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 pm
The classic panels are surprisingly nice, especially with the black and silver knobs. Wish I'd done it from the start really.
Not sure if you mean "black panels, exclusively" or "both silver and black from the start", but for what it's worth I'm one of those people who is drawn to your aesthetic in part because of the silver panels. I certainly hope you'll keep offering the modules in both colors. :tu:

The 12U system is looking good, by the way! :hail:
Thanks. I'll be offering the panels in both silver and black, as I think it's good to offer people the option of either. So, the silver panels are here to stay. All I meant was I wish I'd offered both colours from the start.

Cheers,
Chris

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Gotcha. I think its great to offer both if it's economically feasible for you. Certainly not against anyone having the choice of black if they prefer it. Thanks, Chris!

:cloud:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm
Gotcha. I think its great to offer both if it's economically feasible for you. Certainly not against anyone having the choice of black if they prefer it. Thanks, Chris!

:cloud:
No worries! To be honest, the cost isn't much different between the two. The silver panels are more minimalistic and modern I think. Whereas the black panels are obviously pretty Moog-esque in their appearance. I think they both offer something different.

I'll be doing some more unique, special edition modules as well in the near future, like the P610 VCO (still a prototype/concept): www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix-p610-vo ... al-edition. This is basically a Polysix-inspired VCO; hence the blue panel. It's not an exact clone though, as there are obviously some components you can't buy these days e.g. certain transistors etc. But it's very similar and adapted from the original design.

I've already breadboarded it and the discrete-type circuit definitely sounds rawer (in a good way) than a lot of IC-based VCOs. So I'm looking forward to releasing that module.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 am

Hi everyone, Molten Modular have done full review of the Poly-8 VCO.

Be sure to check it out here if you're interested:

Thanks,
Chris

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:14 am

Chris Willocks wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 am
Hi everyone, Molten Modular have done full review of the Poly-8 VCO.

Be sure to check it out here if you're interested:

Thanks,
Chris
Already on it... what super massive super saw sound :yay:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update on things.

The 3320 Low-Pass Filter (LPF) is now available in the Classic Edition finish:

3320 Low-Pass Filter (LPF) Classic Edition

Wavefonix 3320 LPF (Classic Edition).png

The 3320 Low-Pass Filter (LPF) is a four-pole, 24dB/octave filter, utilising the re-issued and authentic CEM3320 IC; offering a fully-featured take on a classic design.

Features
  • Four-pole 24dB/octave low-pass filter utilising the re-issued and authentic CEM3320 IC.
  • Manually controllable resonance and cutoff frequency.
  • Frequency range greater than audio range (> 20Hz to 20kHz).
  • Capable of self-oscillation i.e. producing a sine wave output.
  • Thermally compensated 1V/octave input.
  • Numerous modulation possibilities including FM and resonance CV inputs (0V to 10V input range).
  • Classic-style knobs and panel design.
  • Ergonomic design.
  • Hand-built and tested in the UK.

Specifications

Format: Eurorack
Width: 10HP
Depth: approx. 40mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 20mA
-12V: 30mA
+5V: 0mA

You can order this module here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3320-low-pass-filter.

I will also be releasing two more new modules next week; a 3340 Dual VCO and 2140 Low-Pass Filter (LPF).

The 3340 Dual VCO is derived from the Poly-8 VCO and features a smaller footprint per VCO than the standard 3340 VCO, although with slightly less functionality. This is useful for smaller systems or where space is limited.

The 2140 LPF is based on the SSI2140 (SSM2040) IC and will feature switchable Q (resonance) compensation. This gives the user the option to switch between a classic, uncompensated LPF and a compensated LPF (where the gain is maintained as the resonance is increased). I must admit that the 2140 sounds great!

There will also be a dual version of this LPF and the 3310 VCEG to complement the 3340 Dual VCO. Again, these will have smaller footprints (per filter or EG) than their standard, single counterparts.

More Classic Edition modules will be released shortly as well.

Work on the Poly-8 Processor module is progressing nicely and this should be completed in the next few months.

I'm also steadily progressing with assembling my 12U system, so that I can produce some decent sound and patch demos shortly.

Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Willocks on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 am

Hi again everyone,

As promised, the 3340 Dual VCO and 2140 LPF are now available to order from the online store:

3340 Dual Voltage-Controlled Oscillator (VCO)

Wavefonix 3340 Dual VCO (Silver).png

This 3340 Dual Voltage-Controlled Oscillator (VCO) has a smaller footprint per VCO than our standard 3340 VCO module; making it suitable for cases where space is more limited, or where you want to maximise functionality per HP.

Although more compact, each VCO features a vast range of modulation capabilities, including hard sync, PWM, 1V/octave and exponential/linear FM.

Each VCO provides simultaneous ramp, triangle and pulse waveform outputs.

The authentic CEM3340 architecture offers an instantly recognisable, rich analog sound found in many famous synthesizers from the past, such as the Prophet 5 etc.

Features
  • Dual version of our standard 3340 VCO; comprising authentic CEM3340 (Rev. G) architecture.
  • Three simultaneous, buffered 10Vpp (±5V) waveforms per VCO, including DC-coupled ramp, triangle and pulse outputs, with controllable PW and PWM CV inputs (0V to 10V). Pulse output is derived from the CEM3340's triangle waveform using external circuitry.
  • Individual coarse and fine frequency control knobs provide an adjustable frequency range of more than ten octaves (approximately 8Hz to 16KHz) for each VCO.
  • Each VCO has a wide range of modulation inputs; including hard sync (comparator-based), PWM, 1V/octave and exponential/linear FM (switchable).
    Ergonomic design.

Specifications

Width: 14HP
Power consumption:
+12V: 100mA
-12V: 60mA

You can order this module here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3340-dual-vco.

2140 Low-Pass Filter (LPF)

Wavefonix 2140 LPF (Silver).png

The 2140 Low-Pass Filter (LPF) uses the SSI2140 IC i.e. the official successor to the legendary SSM2040 IC; considered by many to be one of the best sounding filters of all time.

To preserve the sonic qualities of the SSM2040, the input signal of the 2140 LPF can be overdriven via the front panel signal level control to unleash the classic analog character that it was known for.

In addition to standard frequency and resonance controls, a wide range of modulation possibilities are available, including FM and resonance CV.

A switch on the front panel also allows the user to switch on Q compensation, to avoid a loss in signal gain as resonance is increased. Alternatively, this can be switched off to give a standard, classic uncompensated filter.

Features
  • SSI2140 IC continuing the legacy of its iconic predecessor; the SSM2040.
  • Four-pole 24dB/octave low-pass filter.
  • Input signal can be overdriven to obtain the classic sonic character the SSM2040 was famed for.
  • Switchable Q compensation. Can also be switched off to leave a classic, uncompensated filter.
  • Manually controllable resonance and cutoff frequency.
  • Frequency range greater than audio range (> 20Hz to 20kHz).
  • Capable of self-oscillation i.e. producing a sine wave output.
  • Thermally compensated 1V/octave input.
  • Numerous modulation possibilities including FM and resonance CV inputs (0V to 10V input range).
  • Ergonomic design.

Specifications

Width: 10HP
Power consumption:
+12V: 30mA
-12V: 30mA

You can order this module here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/2140-low-pass-filter.

Please do check them out and give them a try if you're interested. I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Chris

Return to “Eurorack Modules”