Wavefonix Modular System

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Wavefonix Modular System

Post by Keltie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm

It’s great to see a new UK based manufacturer. These look really nice, and even though I’m not a fan of odd numbered hp widths, and I’m not really in a buying phase right now, I’ll be in for a couple of utilities to try to show support for a new “ local to me” company. All the best with it!

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:44 am

Keltie wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm
It’s great to see a new UK based manufacturer. These look really nice, and even though I’m not a fan of odd numbered hp widths, and I’m not really in a buying phase right now, I’ll be in for a couple of utilities to try to show support for a new “ local to me” company. All the best with it!
:tu: Could be a good time to add your location to your profile and join your fellow UK wigglers...?

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 am

maltemark wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 am
Bought a r2r. Thinking to use it in conjunction with my xaoc Leibniz system
Thanks, hope you find it useful and enjoy it. It's a very simple but versatile module and has proven popular so far. A few other brands have offered a very similar module in the past, however they haven't been available for a while, so I thought I would bring it back.
aragorn23 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 am
I'd love to build some of these when the PCB/panel combos become available!
I'm hoping to get some PCB/panel combos released at some point. Just need to write the assembly guides and bill-of-materials for them before doing so. Stay tuned though.
Dcramer wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
Hey these look great, are these silver panels?
That and black Davies :love:
Wavetable osc sounds great and I’d love to hear that HPF!
The passive DAC is a cool idea, I sometimes patch together a little thing just like that to generate melodies from multiple unsynced LFO rate square waves. :party:
Thanks for the kind words! Good to know people like the design. Yes, the panels are anodised aluminium. I'm looking at also releasing the modules in a more classic black panel and white knob combo, which I think would look pretty good; just to give people the option.

I'll try and get some sound demos up of the filters when I can. The HPF does sound nice though! Quite a rare design as well.

The DAC is great to use with a clock divider as well. You can generate stepped ramp waves and a lot more.
natureclubcassettes wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 pm
great work! Diggin' the Digisound aesthetic
Thanks!
Keltie wrote:
Thanks for the support Keltie! I was a little skeptical about having odd HPs. I know a lot of users don't care for them particularly, although there are also some that like them as well. Just thought I'd give users the option once again, if they are into odd HPs. Quite a few modules are even HPs also. I think the modules work best when combined together as one complete system, as the widths are optimised for to fit together in a 84HP or 104HP case. I'm going to offer the modules as part of a fully-assembled 6U (maybe 9U as well) 84HP and 104HP modular system eventually; once I have enough modules i.e. including the case and power supply etc. A lot of my newer modules will be even HPs.
neil.johnson wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:44 am
Keltie wrote:
:tu: Could be a good time to add your location to your profile and join your fellow UK wigglers...?

Neil
Neil, I appreciate your help with everything up to now. Your advice and experience has been invaluable!

Finally, just to make everyone aware; I have quite a few new and more interesting modules that I'll be releasing shortly, including:
  • 3-channel stereo panning mixer (with a built-in headphone amp)
  • 2710 envelope follower (based on the ARP 2600 design)
  • 3310 VCEG (more versatile than the current 3310 EG)
  • 3360 Quad Linear VCA
  • Dual VU meter (adjustable level)
  • Comparator module with an external threshold input and gate/trigger outs
  • Dual switch
  • Logic module
  • CV preamp (mainly for boosting modular level signals)
  • Waveshaper (basically a half-wave rectifier with CV control)
  • VCDLFO (has some interesting waveforms including a random output)
These should be available over the next few months. Additionally, there are some other modules I'm working on, including a 10-step sequencer, 2130 VCO, 2140 LPF, 3350 dual SVF and I will probably produce some dual versions of other modules, such as the 3340 VCO or 3320 LPF, for example.

Lastly, I'm working on a range of polyphonic modules as well; including an 8-voice synth module and 8-channel EG. I'm also working on an 8-channel MIDI to CV converter with the help of Tom Wiltshire from Electric Druid. He is producing an IC for the 8-channel MIDI to CV converter that will have note, velocity and gates for each channel, along with pitch bend, aftertouch, pedal expression and modulation CV outputs. There will be a MIDI learn function as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Cool, those poly designs sound very exciting!
For myself, I don’t mind the odd HP designs and I already have a few. In truth, if more designers were liberal with their widths, we’d never notice 🐭

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Odd HP is a brilliant marketing ploy! You have to buy them in multiples of two!!! Odd + odd = even :)

Neil

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Chris Willocks wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 am
Neil, I appreciate your help with everything up to now. Your advice and experience has been invaluable!
Thanks - it's great to see a new home team join the fray!

Cheers
Neil

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:50 am

neil.johnson wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:00 pm
Chris Willocks wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:34 am
Thanks - it's great to see a new home team join the fray!

Cheers
Neil
:tu:

For anyone that's interested; as part of the Black Friday weekend; I'm offering 30% off my range of oscillator modules (www.wavefonix.com/modules?Collection=Oscillators) for today only (UK time). If you just use code OSC30 when checking out, then it'll apply the discount.

There will be plenty more discounts over the next few days as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:38 am

Okay, so the 30% off all oscillators offer has now ended.

However, today's Black Friday offer is 20% of my range of filters, including the 3320 LPF, 3320 HPF and 2144 LPF. You can view them here: https://www.wavefonix.com/modules?Collection=Filters.

To claim 20% off, enter VCF20 during checkout. This offer is only on for today (UK time), so don't miss out if you're looking for a filter module.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:41 am

For the main day today, I'm offering 30% off everything on my store i.e. every module. View more here: www.wavefonix.com/modules.

Enter discount code BLK30 during checkout to claim. Only one use per customer and the discount code expires at 12:00am GMT on 29th November.

Thanks,
Chris

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Not in the market to buy anything being a purely DIY guy, but just wanted to say its great your not chasing the whole low HP thing. I can understand the appeal, but there's too many modules out there with only tiny trimmer style pots, all crammed together. Love the uniformity across the whole range.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Just wanted to share a preview of five new modules that will be for available on my store in the next few weeks:

20201201_172807.jpg

These are more utility-based in their functionality:
  • 3360 Quad Linear VCA - has adjustable initial gain on each channel, along with dedicated CV ins. There will be an exponential version as well.
  • Logic module - consisting of two-input AND and OR gates and two inverters. Outputs are standard 0V to +5V.
  • Preamp (PA) - pretty simple module to boost modular level CV and audio signals between modules. Boost (gain) is switchable between ×2 and ×4. The module also has an overload indicator LED.
  • Comparator (CP) - with a manual threshold knob, adjustable between -10V and +10V. The threshold source can also be switched to an external threshold input, such as an LFO or VCO etc. The module has dedicated gate and trigger outputs.
  • Dual Passive Switch (SW) - self-explanatory. Being passive; the inputs and outputs can be used in reverse, which is quite useful.
More details will be available once they are launched on my website.

This is just the tip of the iceberg however; many more modules to come over the next few months.

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Willocks on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Kelaifu wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 pm
Not in the market to buy anything being a purely DIY guy, but just wanted to say its great your not chasing the whole low HP thing. I can understand the appeal, but there's too many modules out there with only tiny trimmer style pots, all crammed together. Love the uniformity across the whole range.
Thanks, I completely agree. Although, there are pros and cons to both I suppose.

Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share some info about the polyphonic modules that I've been working on. As I think I mentioned previously; the poly modules will have eight channels. The first releases will be the Poly-8 VCO and the Poly-8 MIDI to CV Converter.

I have almost finished the design of the Poly-8 VCO, which essentially comprises eight CEM3340 (Rev. G) VCOs. I have made sure to include a large range of modulation options including PWM, exponential and linear FM (switchable), hard sync and obviously 1V/octave inputs. The VCOs can be used separately as well, instead of being controlled by common controls on the front panel.

I am considering designing a CV expander (multiple) module to allow the note CVs etc. to be sent through to other Poly-8 VCO units, so that you can have multiple VCOs per voice e.g. 2 per voice (16 in total). I think this CV expander would be useful for the other poly modules in terms of modulation e.g. the Poly-8 VCEG and VCA.

I've made sure to give each VCO its own power supply to ensure stability.

The next step is testing the prototype and taking it from there. It shouldn't be too long before release.

Anyway, just though I'd share some images of the main PCB and front panel:

Wavefonix Poly-8 VCO.png

Wavefonix Poly-8 VCO Front Panel.png

Also, here is a quick preview of the front panel for the Poly-8 MIDI to CV Converter:

Wavefonix Poly-8 MIDI to CV Converter Front Panel.png

The MIDI to CV converter will have standard note, gate and velocity outputs for each channel, along with pitchbend (PB) with an adjustable octave range, aftertouch, modulation and pedal expression outputs. There will also be a MIDI learn feature.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:39 pm

Just to let everyone know also; the following new utility modules are now available from my website. The links are given in the descriptions:

Logic

Wavefonix Logic (Silver).png

This module offers a range of boolean logic functions including AND, OR and NOT.

The AND gate is useful for combining signals to trigger a signal event; such as a patching gate signals from multiple sequencers. The OR gate is great for creating polyrhythms from multiple signal inputs.

The module also features comparator-based inputs to allow a range of non-gated signals to be used, such as envelopes or a sine wave etc.

Features
  • Offers a range of boolean logic functions, including AND, OR and NOT.
  • All outputs are standard +5V logic.
  • Comparator-based inputs allow non-gated signals to be used e.g. envelopes, sine wave etc.
  • LED indicators on each output.
  • Ergonomic design.
  • Hand-built and tested in the UK.

Specifications

Format: Eurorack
Width: 8hp
Depth: approx. 40mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 80mA
-12V: 40mA
+5V: 0mA

More info: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/logic

Comparator (CP)

Wavefonix Comparator (Silver).png

This useful module compares an input signal with a voltage threshold and produces a gate output when the input signal is above the set threshold. The input signals can be either CV or audio. The output can be used for many purposes e.g. as a clock source or even as a pulse waveform for VCOs that do not have pulse waveform output.

In addition to an internal, controllable threshold voltage (variable between -10V to +10V), an external threshold CV from a source such an LFO or noise generator can be input into the module. The source can be switched between internal and external on the front panel.

The gate output also has a LED indicator to give a visual representation of the output level. A trigger output is also provided.

Features
  • Useful for creating gate signals for many different purposes e.g. as a clock source, pulse waveform etc.
  • Threshold voltage can set internally (between -10V to +10V) or externally using a CV source such as an LFO or envelope etc.
  • LED indicates gate output level.
  • Trigger output also included.
  • Ergonomic design.

Specifications

Width: 5hp
Depth: approx. 25mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 30mA
-12V: 20mA

More info: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/comparator

Preamp (PA)

Wavefonix Preamp (Silver).png

This simple preamp is great for amplifying modular level signals to adapt them between various modules e.g. an LFO signal or envelope. The DC-coupled design is perfect for CV signals, however modular level audio signals can also be amplified.

The gain is switchable between x2 and x4 (when the gain control is set fully CW).

An overload LED also indicates when the output signal is clipping.

Features
  • Perfect for amplifying and adapting modular level CV or audio signals between modules.
  • Switchable gain between x2 and x4.
  • Overload LED indicates when the output is clipping.
  • Ergonomic design.

Specifications

Width: 5hp
Depth: approx. 25mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 30mA
-12V: 20mA

More info: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/preamp

Dual Switch (SW)

Wavefonix Dual Switch (Silver).png

This simple but very versatile dual switch is useful for switching between multiple sources. Each switch has two inputs and one output, however being passive, they can also be used in reverse i.e. one input and two outputs.

Specific examples of usage include switching between two modulation sources e.g. an LFO or envelope, into the FM input of a VCO, or switching an envelope source between a filter or VCA.

Features
  • Simple but versatile dual switch.
  • Each switch has two inputs and one output, however they can also used in reverse i.e. one input and two outputs.
  • Passive design requires no power.
  • Ergonomic design.

Specifications

Width: 4hp
Depth: approx. 15mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 0mA
-12V: 0mA

More info: https://www.wavefonix.com/product-page/dual-switch

Any interest would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

OlivierWah
Common Wiggler

Post by OlivierWah » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:41 am

Very cool design, I always love modules with clean panels. I am really interested to 3350 dual SVF or any dual modules or the moons of saturn module. Demos of filters or complete voice of your modules could be great. I think I will take a bunch of passive modules in few days (good to fill some gaps and missing functions).

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm

OlivierWah wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:41 am
Very cool design, I always love modules with clean panels. I am really interested to 3350 dual SVF or any dual modules or the moons of saturn module. Demos of filters or complete voice of your modules could be great. I think I will take a bunch of passive modules in few days (good to fill some gaps and missing functions).
Thanks Olivier, I appreciate it! Conveniently, I actually have a 3350 Dual SVF in the works, along with quite a few other dual modules, such as a dual 2130 VCO, 2140 LPF and 2162 VCA (with switchable lin/exp response), to name a few.

Just to mention also; I should have the Quad 3360 Linear VCA out in the next few days or so as well. Just doing final tests on it at the moment.

Other previously mentioned, upcoming modules that I should have released shortly after are the 2710 Envelope Follower (inspired by the ARP 2600 EF), VCDLFO (with random waveforms, as well as the traditional ones), 3-Channel Stereo Panning Mixer (with a built-in headphone amp), 3310 VCEG and Dual VU Meter (with through outputs).

Apologies to everyone for not uploading any demos of the filters and other modules (like I said I would). My demo modules have been away with a reviewer for a month or so, so I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. However, as soon as I get them back (which I hope is soon), I will endeavour to get them done.

I'm quite excited myself regarding the polyphonic modules, as it's been quite a challenge designing them and also, there aren't that many 8-voice modules out there, so they should be fun to try out. I'm receiving the PCBs for the Poly-8 VCO in the next week or so, so I should be able to test it out pretty soon.

Whilst on the subject of the Poly-8 VCO; I was considering also designing a SSI2130 version to go alongside the CEM3340 version that I've already designed i.e. to give people the option to choose which IC they want. Also, adapting the wavetable VCDO into an 8-voice design would be good to do I think.

I want to try and keep the polyphonic modules as affordable as possible, as I realise that by nature, these sort of modules aren't cheap to begin with.

Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Just wanted to share a quick teaser of the five upcoming modules I mentioned above:

New Modules.png

More details to follow.

Thanks,
Chris

M78
Wiggling with Experience

Post by M78 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Chris Willocks wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 pm
Wavefonix Poly-8 VCO.png
this looks nuts! Will there be an accompanying poly 8-input filter and vca to go with this?

/EDIT/ Just saw:

Poly8 Expander: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 VCEG: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 Processor: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 Glide: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon

Cool stuff!

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:17 am

M78 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:37 pm
Chris Willocks wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:41 pm
Wavefonix Poly-8 VCO.png
this looks nuts! Will there be an accompanying poly 8-input filter and vca to go with this?

/EDIT/ Just saw:

Poly8 Expander: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 VCEG: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 Processor: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon
Poly8 Glide: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix ... oming-soon

Cool stuff!
Thanks! It's certainly ambitious, but I'm very determined to make it happen.

The Poly-8 VCO module will be the first one to be released. That shouldn't be too long. Just waiting to receive the first prototype PCBs. I think a bank of eight CEM3340 VCOs is a crazy module in itself! Hopefully everyone will enjoy these modules.

I just want to essentially offer a 8-voice poly synth in modular form, with the option to expand each voice to two VCOs each i.e. kind of like a modular Prophet T8 or similar.

Whilst I'm on here; just thought I'd let everyone know that the 3360 Quad Linear VCA is now available to buy:

3360 Quad Linear VCA

Wavefonix 3360 Quad Linear VCA (Silver).png

Featuring the AS3360 IC (based on the classic CEM3360 IC), this module features four linear response Voltage-Controlled Amplifiers (VCAs); suitable for both audio and CV signals.

It would be the ideal match for a modulation source such as an exponential envelope generator.

Features
  • Four linear response VCAs.
  • Each VCA has its own adjustable initial gain between fully-closed and fully-open (unity-gain).
  • One CV input per VCA (each with a 0V to 10V input range from fully closed to fully open).
  • Ergonomic design.
Specifications

Width: 10hp
Depth: approx. 40mm
+12V: 40mA
-12V: 40mA

Order here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3360-quad-linear-vca

Thanks,
Chris

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Your lineup of modules is really interesting

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 pm

EASYBOY wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:47 pm
Your lineup of modules is really interesting
Thanks, I appreciate the interest.

Chris

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm

A buff mult appeared in the post for me in time for Xmas. It’s not in the rack yet, but just to say, the build quality looks and feels awesome straight out of the box. Nice job. I’ll be back for more bits n bobs in the new year for sure.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Keltie wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm
A buff mult appeared in the post for me in time for Xmas. It’s not in the rack yet, but just to say, the build quality looks and feels awesome straight out of the box. Nice job. I’ll be back for more bits n bobs in the new year for sure.
Thanks, that's great to know! That was the main concern I had when I first started i.e. making sure all the modules exceed the standards that users expect. But to hear such feedback from consumers directly is great and reassuring.

Hope you enjoy the buffered mult and I appreciate the support.

Chris

krunkleKick
Common Wiggler

Post by krunkleKick » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:11 am

I picked up a Noise Generator to fill a 5hp gap in my (mostly) Random Source euro Serge system, I can say the module is built solidly, and it looks / feels great next to the Random Source. It's nice having attenuators on the individual outputs.

I love the "basic building block" mentality of these modules. This is refreshing in 2020! Nicely presented and described, and great price point too!

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:41 am

krunkleKick wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:11 am
I picked up a Noise Generator to fill a 5hp gap in my (mostly) Random Source euro Serge system, I can say the module is built solidly, and it looks / feels great next to the Random Source. It's nice having attenuators on the individual outputs.

I love the "basic building block" mentality of these modules. This is refreshing in 2020! Nicely presented and described, and great price point too!
That's great, glad to hear you're happy with it! I agree regarding the layout of the modules. I just wanted to keep everything clean, tidy and easy-to-use.

Having said this, it would be good to also offer modules that have some more uniqueness. I think the polyphonic modules, along with some 'West Coast' type modules I have in mind should aid in this.

There are quite a few more workhorse-type modules I need to add to the range though as well; such as a 16-step sequencer, clock multiplier, VC switch, sequential switch etc.

Just wanted to ask as well; how interested would everyone be in the complete systems? As probably mentioned before; initially I'm looking at offering fully-assembled 3U, 6U and 9U (84HP and 104HP) modular systems, such as the examples below:

3U Modular System (104HP)

Wavefonix 3U Modular System (104HP).jpg

6U Modular System (104HP)

Wavefonix 6U Modular System (104HP).jpg

9U Modular System (84HP)

9U Modular System (84HP).jpg

Assuming people would be interested in these, then I'd look at 12U systems as well. The main thing is keeping them both affordable and functional.

Thanks,
Chris

Return to “Eurorack Modules”