Wavefonix Modular System

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Re: Wavefonix Modular System

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:41 pm

OlivierWah wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:41 am
Very cool design, I always love modules with clean panels. I am really interested to 3350 dual SVF or any dual modules or the moons of saturn module. Demos of filters or complete voice of your modules could be great. I think I will take a bunch of passive modules in few days (good to fill some gaps and missing functions).
Hi Olivier, just thought I'd share a preview of the front panel for the 3350 Dual SVF (www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix-3350-du ... ic-edition) that I have planned:

586x826_31254.jpg

I'm slowly releasing Classic Editions of all the modules i.e. with black panels and knobs. I think the combo looks really nice. There will be the standard silver version of the 3350 Dual SVF available also.

The first Classic Edition module I've released is the 3340 VCO (www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix-3340-vo ... ic-edition):

20210102_025004.jpg

The 3340 VCO Classic Edition is available now to buy here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3340-vco-classic-edition, however I'm currently out of stock, but it should be back in stock in the next week or so.

I haven't forgotten about the demos for the filters etc. It's just taking a long time for me to get my demo modules back from a reviewer, which is frustrating to say the least. I may have to put another demo rack together at this rate.

Chris

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:26 pm

:love: :love: Looks great in black! :love: :love:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Dcramer wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:26 pm
:love: :love: Looks great in black! :love: :love:
Thanks, I think the black Davies knobs work well with it.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am

I just read your news about the Poly-8 on Modulargrid. It looks and reads like a great idea. Can't wait to hear it :hyper: Already planning a small case just with the Poly-8 stuff :hihi:

One thing that I noticed is that the Processor expander would highly benefit from a stereo mix out, including panning per voice. Although it means that also the the filter needs to be in stereo, the CV modulation inputs need changes, etc etc etc, thus the module gets more expensive. I can imagine it'd be worth it. ;)

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am
I just read your news about the Poly-8 on Modulargrid. It looks and reads like a great idea. Can't wait to hear it :hyper: Already planning a small case just with the Poly-8 stuff :hihi:

One thing that I noticed is that the Processor expander would highly benefit from a stereo mix out, including panning per voice. Although it means that also the the filter needs to be in stereo, the CV modulation inputs need changes, etc etc etc, thus the module gets more expensive. I can imagine it'd be worth it. ;)
Thanks, I'm just testing the Poly-8 VCO at the moment. Without being biased; I must say the prototype module looks and sounds great in person (ignore the missing nuts on the jack sockets etc.):

Poly-8 VCO.jpg

Everything works perfectly as well, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I release it.

Great ideas regarding the processor module too. I'll look at implementing them into the design. Might need a bit of rearranging of the front panel etc., but I'm sure it's feasible.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:46 am

Oh la la ... that's a beauty 😍

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am

If I may ask, what does the Expander add? Note, Out A, Out B, the two FM inputs and again two outputs there. The same for PWM.

And the two VCO inputs (?) in the Processor? I was a little confused because in the VCO the oscillators are labelled VCO and the Processor and Expander show Voice. Curious to know what you have planned.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am
If I may ask, what does the Expander add? Note, Out A, Out B, the two FM inputs and again two outputs there. The same for PWM.

And the two VCO inputs (?) in the Processor? I was a little confused because in the VCO the oscillators are labelled VCO and the Processor and Expander show Voice. Curious to know what you have planned.
The Expander basically adds common tune and PW controls that are normalled to the Note A/B and PWM A/B outputs respectively. So you'll be able to control the frequency and PW of every VCO on one or two Poly-8 VCO modules simultaneously (for when there are two VCOs per voice, for example) using one potentiometer.

Common FM and PWM inputs are also provided, that are normalled to the FM and PWM A/B outputs; so that CVs can be sent to up to 16 VCOs if required, from one input. The multiple inputs e.g. FM 1 and 2 are summed and are output via A/B. The same for the PWM inputs. This is useful for sending independent FM/PWM CVs per voice, rather than a common CV or for adding an extra FM or PWM input to each VCO (rather than just having the one built into the module). Two Note outputs per voice are also given. Obviously with requiring precision; the note outputs will be trimmable to obtain exactly 1V/octave.

The Processor module essentially acts as a voicing module i.e. VCF, VCA and mixer combined. The two VCO inputs i.e. VCO 1 and VCO 2 on the Processor are for multiple VCOs per voice. So for example; you could take the ramp wave from a VCO on one Poly-8 VCO module and one from another unit and input them into the VCO 1 and VCO 2 inputs on the Processor to give two VCOs for voice 1 and so on for the other voices.

The Aux inputs are for external sources, such as noise etc. The CV inputs on the Processor are self-explanatory; these are independently per voice. Common filter controls such as frequency, resonance and their related CVs are given, that are internally routed to all voices. The Init Gain knob is a common VCA gain control for all voices for drone etc.

The VCO 1, 2 and Aux In knobs are simply level controls for the Mix Out. So turning VCO 1 all the way down to 0 will mute the VCO 1 channel for all voices. Same for VCO 2 and Aux In. This basically replicates the front panel mixer controls of the Prophet 5.

The reason I didn't label the individual VCOs on the Poly-8 VCO module as "Voice 1" etc. is because people may want to just use this module on its own, as a oscillator bank and not specifically in a polyphonic configuration. Whereas the Expander and Processor modules only really make sense to be used in a polyphonic setup and not on their own. So "Voice" seems more appropriate. Having said that; they could be used on their own.

Hope this makes sense. I think it will all make a lot more sense in practice.

Chris

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks Chris

Yes, that makes sense. On the other hand you just want me to buy TWO Poly-8 VCOs, don't you :razz:

Have you considered cascaded CV inputs? So the user can insert one envelope and all voices follow that one modulation source, without the need to patch 8 cables.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:21 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:12 pm
Thanks Chris

Yes, that makes sense. On the other hand you just want me to buy TWO Poly-8 VCOs, don't you :razz:

Have you considered cascaded CV inputs? So the user can insert one envelope and all voices follow that one modulation source, without the need to patch 8 cables.
No worries, you can buy two if you want! :hihi: I think it would sound amazing with two, but one would probably be enough really. Think it's good to give people the option though.

In terms of the cascaded CV inputs, do you mean on the Processor module? I forgot to mention; there's a common filter cutoff CV in (FM in) and VCA CV in that you can route an envelope into and all of the voices will follow this.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:43 pm

I understood that there is a common CV input for filter, res and VCA. Still cascaded inputs (that breaks with the next inserted cable) on each voice on the Processor will help to process all voices at once. For instance a slight tremolo, plus the common VCA. Or one can do AM on 4 voices and a different AM on the next 4 voices, with just two sources.

The Intellijel Quad VCA does that. I understand if this imposes too much work and materials, thus would make it too expensive. One can still mult a source.

For me personally, the stereo panning is an insta buy. OMG that stereo spreading possibilities, lush wide pads, yummy

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:43 pm
I understood that there is a common CV input for filter, res and VCA. Still cascaded inputs (that breaks with the next inserted cable) on each voice on the Processor will help to process all voices at once. For instance a slight tremolo, plus the common VCA. Or one can do AM on 4 voices and a different AM on the next 4 voices, with just two sources.

The Intellijel Quad VCA does that. I understand if this imposes too much work and materials, thus would make it too expensive. One can still mult a source.

For me personally, the stereo panning is an insta buy. OMG that stereo spreading possibilities, lush wide pads, yummy
Sorry, I understand. I misunderstood initially.

No problem at all, that would be simple to implement. I'll make sure to include the cascaded inputs, along with the panning capability.

I actually have a stereo panning mixer and headphone amp module that I'm about to release shortly: www.modulargrid.net/e/wavefonix-3-chann ... udio-mixer, so it would just be a case of adapting it to the Processor module.

Chris

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 am

Awesome. I believe this little change makes working with the module much more user friendly, if you don't have to grab extra mults.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:16 am

Registered to the newsletter to get that 20% discount. I'm ready to order :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:16 am
Registered to the newsletter to get that 20% discount. I'm ready to order :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Thanks Murat, I appreciate that. As I say, the Poly-8 VCO should be available very shortly; probably a few weeks max, so I'll let everyone know when it is.

I'll reply to your PM as well shortly.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Just to let everyone know; the Classic Edition 3340 VCO is now available and in stock: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3340-vco-classic-edition.

I've also replenished stock of the standard 3340 VCO and Noise Generator.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Chris Willocks wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am
Gorgeous! Really digging the white front-panel design—gives it a very modern look. Well done!

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:15 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Chris Willocks wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am
Gorgeous! Really like the white—gives it a very modern look. Well done!
Thanks, although I haven't done the best job on the lighting in the image, as It should look silver.

You've given me an idea though! I think white would look great.

Chris

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:22 am

Very light greyish off white matte, I'm sold :mrgreen: maybe with a touch of rainbow glitter :hihi:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:10 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:22 am
Very light greyish off white matte, I'm sold :mrgreen: maybe with a touch of rainbow glitter :hihi:
Well described!

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:28 am

Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know; the 3320 LPF and 3320 HPF now use the newly reissued and authentic CEM3320 IC, instead of the AS3320:

- 3320 LPF - www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3320-low-pass-filter.
- 3320 HPF - www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3320-high-pass-filter.

The 3320 LPF is available now with the CEM3320. The HPF should be back in stock very shortly.

Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 pm

Also, Juno have done a review of the Wavefonix range for anyone that is interested:

www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2021/01/15/new ... -wavefonix

Chris

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Woooo, you better believe I'm keeping a close eye on the Poly-8 development. :woah: :yay:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:07 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 pm
Woooo, you better believe I'm keeping a close eye on the Poly-8 development. :woah: :yay:
Thanks, shouldn't be long now until the Poly-8 VCO is released. Just testing the prototype at the moment. Should be a few weeks max.

waveglider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by waveglider » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Just wanted to say that this is a very complete and well designed ecosystem, simple, clean, sounds great.
I particularly like the panel designs with straightforward usability, no user manual required!
Also 5mm LEDs are a great choice, very visible but not overly bright, don't see enough of those in Euro.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”