Wavefonix Modular System

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Re: Wavefonix Modular System

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

waveglider wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 pm
Just wanted to say that this is a very complete and well designed ecosystem, simple, clean, sounds great.
I particularly like the panel designs with straightforward usability, no user manual required!
Also 5mm LEDs are a great choice, very visible but not overly bright, don't see enough of those in Euro.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I agree regarding the LEDs. I decided to use green and red ones, as I know everyone seems to detest blue ones!

Also, you've just reminded me; there will be quick start guides for each module available to download from the website. I've written quite a few of them already, but just need to upload them. But as you say; a lot of the modules are self-explanatory.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know; the 3320 HPF and LPF are now back in stock with the authentic CEM3320 chip (which sounds great):
Also, as I'm sure you may have already seen on the other threads; I've released a new 3-Channel Stereo Panning Mixer and VCDLFO. Be sure to also check these out:
As previously mentioned; I will also be releasing a Dual VU Meter shortly that acts as a companion module to the mixer. By default it will be calibrated to line level (-10dBV), to allow you to monitor signals out of the mixer to external devices. Keep an eye out for this.

Don't forget you can also get 10% off your next order by subscribing to the mailing list on the website. As always; I would really appreciate it if you could kindly check these modules out.

Lastly, everything is great with the Poly-8 VCO. Pretty much finished testing the module now and I will be sending it to Robin at Molten Modular in the next few days for him to do a preview video/sound demo etc. of it. I may send some of the other modules e.g. filters to him to review. I'll post a link on here when that becomes available. Shortly after, I'll release the Poly-8 VCO.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to also check out Juno's review of the Wavefonix range, as they have some good feedback: www.juno.co.uk/junodaily/2021/01/15/new ... -wavefonix.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:34 pm

The Dual VU Meter is now available to order from the store:

Dual VU Meter

Wavefonix Dual VU Meter (Silver).png

This Dual VU Meter is the perfect companion to our 3-Channel Stereo Panning Mixer.

It provides two separate AC-coupled channels; both calibrated by default to line-level (-10dBV) at 0dB. This aids in monitoring and accurately adjusting the output level of the mixer whilst connected to an external line-level device e.g. mixing console etc. Through (Thru) outputs are also provided for each channel.

The module doesn't just have to be used for just monitoring line-level output signals however. The range of each VU meter is adjustable; allowing it to be adapted to a range of different signal levels e.g. modular-level (±5V) etc., making it a great standalone module.

Dual VU Meter.jpg

Features
  • Two separate VU meters in one module; the perfect companion to our 3-Channel Stereo Panning Mixer.
  • Calibrated by default to line-level (-10dBV) at 0dB; allowing accurate monitoring and adjustment of the output level when connected to external devices.
  • Through (Thru) outputs are provided for both channels.
  • The range of each VU meter can be independently adjusted; allowing the module to be adapted to a wide range of signal levels e.g. modular-level (±5V) etc.
  • Ergonomic design.
  • Hand-made and assembled in the UK.

Specifications

Format: Eurorack
Width: 6HP
Depth: approx. 40mm
Power consumption:
+12V: 70mA
-12V: 10mA
+5V: 0mA

To order or to find out more, visit: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/dual-vu-meter.

Thanks,
Chris

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am

Hi Chris, I've been following this thread (and therefore your company) with interest as it has developed. I'm interested in a few of your modules, including the 1847 VCDO which appears to be the best (IMO) implementation of the electric druid VCDO that I've seen. (Or is it not based on the electric druid, after all? :hmm: )

But I guess I have enough oscillators, so what has my eye at the moment is the new stereo mixer/output and VU modules. I'm thinking of maybe replacing a Make Noise Rosie with this combo.

Questions:
1) Are any of the 3.5mm outputs on the mixer at Modular level, or are all of them Line?
2) are the Headphone outputs just "normal" Line level, or are they somehow different?
3) Could the VU and Mixer modules connect via ribbon on the back for normalization? If not, maybe something to consider in the next revision. :)
4) What pot shafts do you use? I'm not a big fan of Davies knobs so I like to know if it will be possible to swap them to a knob of choice.

Aside from my comment about Davies knobs, I love the overall aesthetic of your system, especially the spacious silver panels and big 5mm LEDs. Keep doing what you're doing. :yay:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:33 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am
Hi Chris, I've been following this thread (and therefore your company) with interest as it has developed. I'm interested in a few of your modules, including the 1847 VCDO which appears to be the best (IMO) implementation of the electric druid VCDO that I've seen. (Or is it not based on the electric druid, after all? :hmm: )

But I guess I have enough oscillators, so what has my eye at the moment is the new stereo mixer/output and VU modules. I'm thinking of maybe replacing a Make Noise Rosie with this combo.

Questions:
1) Are any of the 3.5mm outputs on the mixer at Modular level, or are all of them Line?
2) are the Headphone outputs just "normal" Line level, or are they somehow different?
3) Could the VU and Mixer modules connect via ribbon on the back for normalization? If not, maybe something to consider in the next revision. :)
4) What pot shafts do you use? I'm not a big fan of Davies knobs so I like to know if it will be possible to swap them to a knob of choice.

Aside from my comment about Davies knobs, I love the overall aesthetic of your system, especially the spacious silver panels and big 5mm LEDs. Keep doing what you're doing. :yay:
Thanks, I appreciate the interest and feedback! The 1847 VCDO does use the Druid IC, as you mention. I think it sounds great though. Tom Wiltshire did a nice job on that chip.

The Stereo Panning Mixer and Dual VU Meter are well matched and are good as an output module combo. To answer your questions:

1) The Stereo Panning Mixer is optimised to output line-level signals. Having said that, the levels of the channels on the Stereo Panning Mixer are all adjustable (with the front panel controls) up to unity-gain and therefore it can be used as a modular-level stereo mixer also. In other words, if you input a 10Vpp audio signal into one of the inputs and turned the level knob fully CW, then the output level would also be 10Vpp (panning would change this slightly). So the outputs can be adapted to both levels. The VU Meters are set to line-level by default, but can be adjusted with trimmers on the PCB to match pretty much any level that is desired e.g. 10Vpp, 5Vpp etc.

2) The headphone outputs are optimised for monitoring standard, consumer line-level (-10dBV) signals, so the volume may be too high for monitoring modular-level signals with very low-impedance headphones e.g. 32-ohms etc. Higher impedance e.g. 600-ohms etc. may be fine for monitoring modular-level, although not optimal. But I think most of the time, users would mainly use the headphone outputs to monitor a line-level output to an external device. With so many different types of headphones, it's difficult to match them all. However I may include a gain switch that allows the user to change between line-level and modular when I do a new revision. This would allow it to be optimised for both.

3) That's a good idea with the ribbon cable. Thanks for the suggestion. I could even build the VU meter into the mixer as one module, but the only issue with this is that you can't have one without the other, which some users may want to. The ribbon cable idea solves both problems though. I'll look into it.

4) I use the Alpha 9mm vertical D-shaft pots (www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-dshaft). Thonk have lots of different knobs, so I'm sure that would be absolutely fine. I know the Davies knobs aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Hope this helps anyway. Once again; thanks for the comments. It really helps with knowing where to improve designs too.

Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm

For anyone that is interested in the Poly-8 VCO, Robin from Molten Modular did a feature and jam with it on his podcast tonight.

It starts at about 1:16:40 into the video:

Check it out.

Thanks,
Chris

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:16 am

Chris Willocks wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm
For anyone that is interested in the Poly-8 VCO, Robin from Molten Modular did a feature and jam with it on his podcast tonight.

Check it out.

Thanks,
Chris
Sounds awesome... there goes my not even yet arrived monster case. I need a second one because of you :goo:

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:46 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:16 am
Chris Willocks wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Check it out.

Thanks,
Chris
Sounds awesome... there goes my not even yet arrived monster case. I need a second one because of you :goo:
Thanks, sorry about that.

Regarding the Poly-8 VCO release date; I did say it was going to be earlier and it's dragged on a bit. I apologise for this. This issue I had was that I had to try and source alternate potentiometers, as the ones used on the demo module aren't fully REACH compliant. I didn't find out until a week ago or so.

I've managed to finally find a different model that is REACH compliant today, after a lot of searching. The only difference is that it won't have the white lines it, however they do have an indent on them, which should be fine. Anyway, the production module will be fully RoHS and REACH compliant, as with all my modules.

Now that I've solved that issue, I'll be ordering the first production PCBs tomorrow. So expect it to be released very shortly.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Another new module is now available to buy from the online store:

2710 Envelope Follower (EF)

Wavefonix 2710 Envelope Follower (Silver).png

The 2710 Envelope Follower (EF) derives its inspiration from the design of the envelope follower found in the classic ARP 2600 synthesizer; featuring similar elements of circuitry and functionality.

It serves as more than just an envelope follower however; an additional built-in preamp and comparator make it ideal for use as a general input module.

The preamp has two switchable, unbalanced inputs; a 1/4" socket (x50 gain) for instruments such as a guitar or line-level devices and an 3.5mm socket (x1,000 gain) for microphones. A gain control is also provided, along with two outputs with an clipping indicator LED.

The output of the preamp is normalled to the input of the envelope follower. The envelope follower has its own dedicated input (with a level control) that bypasses the preamp. Other features include a smoothing switch for the output of the envelope follower. A level indicator LED also provides a visual representation of the output signal level.

The output signal from the envelope follower is normalled to the input of the comparator. The comparator has an adjustable threshold (between 0V and 10V) and outputs corresponding gate and trigger signals; again an LED indicator provides a visual representation of the gate output level.

Features
  • Design and circuitry inspired by the envelope follower found in the ARP 2600.
  • Additional built-in preamp and comparator allow the module to serve as a general input module.
  • The preamp has two switchable, unbalanced inputs; a 1/4" socket (x50 gain) for instruments such as a guitar or line-level devices and an 3.5mm socket (x1,000 gain) for microphones. A gain control is also provided, along with two outputs with an clipping indicator LED.
  • The output of the preamp is normalled to the input of the envelope follower. The envelope follower also has its own dedicated input (with a level control) that bypasses the preamp.
  • The envelope follower output has a smoothing switch that results in smaller amplitude changes of the output signal over time. A level indicator LED also provides a visual representation of the output signal level.
  • The output signal from the envelope follower is normalled to the input of the comparator. The comparator has an adjustable threshold (between 0V and 10V) and outputs corresponding gate and trigger signals; again an LED indicator provides a visual representation of the gate output level.
  • Ergonomic design.
  • Hand-built and tested in the UK.
Specifications

Width: 12HP
Power consumption:
+12V: 80mA
-12V: 50mA

Order here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/2710-envelope-follower.

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 am

Hi everyone,

I have a 15% discount on my entire range of modules: www.wavefonix.com/modules.

Don't miss out on this offer, as it is only around until 12:00am GMT on the 25th February 2021.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Willocks
Common Wiggler

Post by Chris Willocks » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 am

Now available to order:

3310 VC Envelope Generator (VCEG)

Wavefonix 3310 VCEG (Silver).png

The 3310 VC Envelope Generator (VCEG) is a more advanced version of our standard 3310 Envelope Generator (EG). It offers the same four-stage design, but with dedicated CV inputs for attack, decay, sustain and release.

Other additional features include a manual gate button and an inverted output for some unusual modulation possibilities.

Also included is a through output for chaining multiple modules together and a dedicated retrigger input.

Features
  • AS3310-based architecture.
  • Controllable exponential attack, decay and release with dedicated CV inputs (0V to 10V).
  • Controllable linear sustain with dedicated CV input (0V to 10V).
  • The CV inputs are summed with the front panel controls.
  • Manual gate button.
  • Comparator-based gate input allowing different types of waveforms to trigger the module.
  • Gate through output, allowing for multiple EGs to be chained together.
  • Retrigger input for modulation sources such as LFOs etc.
  • Non-inverted and inverted outputs for additional modulation versatility.
  • Green LED indicator provides a visual representation of the output level.
  • Ergonomic design.
  • Hand-built and tested in the UK.
Specifications

Width: 12HP
Power consumption:
+12V: 50mA
-12V: 50mA

Order here: www.wavefonix.com/product-page/3310-vc- ... -generator

Return to “Eurorack Modules”