What a used Natural Gate in VG condition looks like

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

What a used Natural Gate in VG condition looks like

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:54 pm

So I leapt on the opportunity to buy a used NG on Modular Grid for 600 dollars. Seeing as how these things get snagged up pretty quickly I hastily told the seller that I’d take it after reading that the module was in very good condition. While I was at work they sent me a message with a link to photos on their Reverb listing and well...
2AE8E665-AE0E-47CE-8E52-45D41C15CDD1.jpeg
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What a used Natural Gate in VG condition looks like

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Well what?

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm

I’m dying to know if these buttons are really glued on. Sure you don’t want it and report back? ;-)

Edit: I suppose it’s the same one that has been re-listed on reverb today
Last edited by B0bcat on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB:
Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
ADDAC 805v1,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel Dixie 1, Spock, FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop,
Skychord Cloudbuster

FS/FT(US): Bard Vacuform vacuum tube multi mode filter, factory-built, $250 shipped

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm

modules always tend to look like absolute garbage in pictures. especially black modules.

i hate taking pictures of my modules, you think that you've cleaned it very thoroughly from dust/grime because you can't see any trace of it.. looks stellar.. Then you take the image and it goes from 10/10 to a 5/10, white specs of dust that looks like scratch marks, grime that isnt visible irl + you made some parts look way worse because you dragged dust or grime around to some area where its more visible.. clean again, take picture, notice more - repeat. i hate it.. way easier to just photoshop it away tbh, though obviously you don't do it for a real scratch or e.g rack rash, that would be quite dishonest...

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Nicely composed photo but a bit of camera shake. I would give it a good wipe when it arrives.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm
modules always tend to look like absolute garbage in pictures. especially black modules.

i hate taking pictures of my modules, you think that you've cleaned it very thoroughly from dust/grime because you can't see any trace of it.. looks stellar.. Then you take the image and it goes from 10/10 to a 5/10, white specs of dust that looks like scratch marks, grime that isnt visible irl + you made some parts look way worse because you dragged dust or grime around to some area where its more visible.. clean again, take picture, notice more - repeat. i hate it.. way easier to just photoshop it away tbh, though obviously you don't do it for a real scratch or e.g rack rash, that would be quite dishonest...
So it is about the condition of the module? I'm confused. That looks like what I would consider very good. But over all I don't get the mentality of the OP. You paid 150% of retail for a module because you didn't want to wait on a preorder and had to have it... but a few imperfections ruined it? Just ask for a refund. I'm sure the seller will resell it before you even get a chance to reconsider. The module in the photo appears to have normal wear, which I would consider to be very good shape. The black coating on this (and many other modules) is pretty delicate and these small imperfections will be common with any of these that have actually been played. I'm actually surprised that RE has stuck with this given how much of a "perfectionist" (for lack of a better word) they are. My only concern would be those after market knobs. If they have set screws they might have damaged the underlying plastic potentiometer shafts.

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:51 pm

From Reverb's seller hub -

Very Good describes items with more cosmetic imperfections than Excellent but is still in great condition overall. With a Very Good guitar, for example, you might find some scratches, buckle rash, or other minor blemishes but nothing that affects the playability or function of the instrument.

That item seems to fall in line imo. :despair:

I agree w/ bemushroomed too, modules tend to show every microscopic spec of dust no matter how I photograph them. I swab the hell out of my stuff with q-tips and there's still always something that shows up in a pic that I can't even see. :bang:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Dust tends to show up as white when you take the image, its not how our eyes sees dust.

Size is another issue with photos, for me this module is blown up 4x the size on my TV, that will obviously make it look worse..

it seems like the OP backed off when he saw the picture? so i don't think its a matter of a refund..

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm

It looks to me like the one in the OP looks scratched, not just dusty. I just took a quick picture of mine without cleaning it -- it's not pretty, but there's a difference between dust and dog hair vs. actual scratches.

If they'd claimed it was "Mint" or "Excellent" I would give them the side-eye, but small scratches are well within "Very Good" territory according to Reverb's standards, assuming those add-on knobs haven't caused any additional damage.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 pm

Well... the wear around the edges is super obvious and the wear around the faders looks like my old Vestax mixer after I’d spent five years learning how to scratch on it. It looks like there’s finger gunk or something around the left channel and then there’s all the little scratches. Oh, and plenty of rack rash!

Personally, this isn’t something I would list in very good condition by any stretch of the mind but I’m the kind of guy that uses plastic washers on all his modules let alone the ones that are highly sought after.

Ever see the video of The Black Madonna abusing a fader? That’s what I think of when I see this photo.

Edit: and the aftermarket knobs.
Last edited by Dragonaut on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 pm

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Why spend 600 dollars on a module used when you can get it for 400 new? If you’re that finicky.. get on that list, and wait.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 pm
Well... the wear around the edges is super obvious and the wear around the faders looks like my old Vestax mixer after I’d spent five years learning how to scratch on it. It looks like there’s finger gunk or something around the left channel and then there’s all the little scratches. Oh, and plenty of rack rash!

Personally, this isn’t something I would list in very good condition by any stretch of the mind but I’m the kind of guy that uses plastic washers on all his modules let alone the ones that are highly sought after.

Ever see the video of The Black Madonna abusing a fader? That’s what I think of when I see this photo.
I don't think that's rack rash around the mounting holes. Other stuff again looks like normal use to me. These panels are somewhat fragile. I own an NG FWIW. Anyways it's ok to be particular, but if you are, you should probably insist on photos prior. Personally I don't like descriptors of condition as it leaves too much room for interpretation. Decent photos make the item look shittier if anything haha.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Just got a new email! The aftermarket knobs apparently fit a little too tightly and the seller was afraid to take them back off for fear of damaging the module.

Maybe 3hands is right. If I’m going to be so finicky I should just wait up to a year and a half to see my purchase fulfilled. Silly me for thinking paying 50 percent more than retail should entitle me to a sound purchase.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm not seeing a problem.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Be thankful you have one. I think it looks fine, myself.

But it will no doubt be easy to flip if you don't want it.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:02 am

$600 for a used LPG? That's the bit that surprised me.

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 am

In retrospect, Rabid Elephant missed a trick. They should have called the module Natural Trigger ...

"Based on extensive research about the reactions of modular synthesists to Cwejman modules, we have designed a module that will trigger you in the most natural way possible"

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:36 am

i much likely never saw a module in such bad shape.
yes, around the fader slots and also the edges of the faceplate look worn down like fuck.
i´d be concerned in what shape the faders actually might be .

i sold a NG in quasi brandnew shape for 430.-chf ( well, somewhere around 420.- to 440.-, i´m not exactly shure) , ....since i had a spare. just to give a comparison ( chf hovers allways around 1:1 with US )

so, if somebody wants 600$ for that piece of gold ( which is 400$ or so, new) , but is not able to handle the gold as it was gold,
would that not tell you something.....?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:18 am

The price seems weird, but looking at the price history for NG on Reverb, it's typical.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 am

Funky40 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:36 am
i much likely never saw a module in such bad shape.
yes, around the fader slots and also the edges of the faceplate look worn down like fuck.
i´d be concerned in what shape the faders actually might be .

i sold a NG in quasi brandnew shape for 430.-chf ( well, somewhere around 420.- to 440.-, i´m not exactly shure) , ....since i had a spare. just to give a comparison ( chf hovers allways around 1:1 with US )
so, if somebody wants 600$ for that piece of gold ( which is 400$ or so, new) , but is not able to handle the gold as it was gold,
would that not tell you something.....?
Thanks for validating my feelings on this a bit! I’m not used to accepting modules in this kind of shape at all since obvious wear and tear usually says something about how the module has been treated and what the lifespan of it is going to be.

I don’t have a single module in my rack that looks remotely as beat up as this and many of them are five or more years old and half of them were previously owned.

Edit: It’s also been made clear now that this is the previous owners photo so who even knows what I’m going to find in the mail lol.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 am

Does it go "ping"? If it does and looks the way it does, its in very good condition.
Is there some unwritten law about NGs looking brand spanking new, because people are willing to pay insane prices for a used LPG that goes "ping"?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 am

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 am

I don't understand why Rabid Elephant uses PCB panels. They claim on their Web site that these actually cost more than doing it properly. Is that reason enough? Anyway, it probably has an effect on durability.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Genome Jazz

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am

worth to mention:

if you use your modules in a vertical rack
is that an entirely different thing than using a module in a flat on the ground skiff.
the forces a module has to face are in several aspects different !
much higher wear much likely

but such worn out edges on the faceplate look like piling up modules in boxes or on the shelf without any respect and love to the things.
the edges look like rasped down from other faceplates.....
i for myone can pile with style ;) .......... :lol:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”