Attenuator Options

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Attenuator Options

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm

I just ordered an Instruo Ochd and seem to need some attenuators now. I realize that I could go with some passive modules, but for not much more money I could also get something like the Erogenous Tones Levit8 which would be more useful since it can mix, amplify, offset, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the levit8 or if you would recommend going the route of getting multiple modules like 2x frap 321 or 2x 3xMIA.

Also are there any high density passive attenuators (I guess 2x WMD Quad Atten is only 8hp...). And would you recommend I just go this route instead?

Thanks!

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Attenuator Options

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm

I quite like the Noise Engineering Sinc Defero as a little attenuator. It's nicely laid-out and build quality is great- and it works well. Also works as a buffered mult, which is nice, as well as having surprisingly useful blinkenlights.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm
I quite like the Noise Engineering Sinc Defero as a little attenuator. It's nicely laid-out and build quality is great- and it works well. Also works as a buffered mult, which is nice, as well as having surprisingly useful blinkenlights.
Oh nice one, that is now on the top of my attenuator list if I decide to go for just attenuation...

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm

I would go 3xMIA or SPO. Having dedicated offset knobs is handy, as well as mixing options.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm
Also works as a buffered mult
Oy!!!! I have one of these. How did I not know this?

Anyways this is a nice small attenuator and the build quality is solid. And yeah nice blinking lights is a nice bonus.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 am

scragz wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm
I would go 3xMIA or SPO. Having dedicated offset knobs is handy, as well as mixing options.
I am really thinking about the 3xMIA. Do you ever have problems zeroing it since there is no separate switch to make it an inverter?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 am
scragz wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm
I am really thinking about the 3xMIA. Do you ever have problems zeroing it since there is no separate switch to make it an inverter?
Yeah it can be a little fiddly but by no means a deal breaker for me. The module is so well designed, it's hard to imagine a patch where you wouldn't get good use out of it

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 am

:agree:
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.

Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Well, if you have something you really need to zero from time to time you can always use your Mixwitch for that.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 am

Built a few AT-AT-AT's You just get the nice little face plate, buy your pots, sockets and good to go. Also of course, then you can supply your own desired values and tapers.

I do also have some of the old Triatts : Nice. But I was feeling broke, so for the rest of the system I made my own.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am

Arneb wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 am
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Well, if you have something you really need to zero from time to time you can always use your Mixwitch for that.
Or use the offset to put the attenuator at one end of its travel. ;)

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

I use the Antumbra ATN8 for precisely this. It is very dense and so isn't very playable, but for set and forget it works well.
Latest music:

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Great, thanks for all the recommendations everyone. One more question before I decide: do you find you need to use offset with the Ochd, or is simple attenuation usually enough?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 pm

These are both on sale now. Not exactly compact as they are designed to be performance modules, but the SP-1P ia only $25 and the SP-4DP is only $100. The SP-4DP is passive.
SP-1P and SP4DP front-sm.png
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

abelovesfun
Ultra Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm

I make the AI010, which is a really, really simple switching attenuator that I made so I could put them next to my synthtech oscillators in 2 HP.
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Love the Synthwerks modules for human interfacing.

Not sure if it's still around, but the Malekko 8NU8R has been my go-to for attenuation for many years.

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm
Great, thanks for all the recommendations everyone. One more question before I decide: do you find you need to use offset with the Ochd, or is simple attenuation usually enough?
Ochd is bipolar. If you want unipolar you'll need offset.
Latest music:

Chaos215bar2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm

For pure attenuation, I've been getting pretty good results using inline passive options to save space. The Koma Elektronik cables seem to work, though they're a bit fiddly and the quality isn't amazing. The Boredbrain Splix works as a mixer or attenuator, and is a bit more playable in a pinch.

SPO is the best option I've found for a compact offset attenuverter. (And it sums as well!) I've also found the Xaoc Samara II to be an extremely useful module overall, and it will do quad attenuation plus summing (though one of the summed signals will be inverted). I'm using half of mine right now to sum and attenuate two different pairs of outputs from an Ochd, actually! (And the other half is currently offsetting a pitch CV by a very precise 2.00 V for use with the Odessa Hel expander, which only supports 0–5 V inputs. Tracks perfectly across the entire range!)

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm

<self promotion> Dont forget about the Mystic Circuits 0ttenuator for inline passive attenuation/ mixing/ panning. <self promotion>
0HP 0ttenuator white background.JPG

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm
For pure attenuation, I've been getting pretty good results using inline passive options to save space. The Koma Elektronik cables seem to work, though they're a bit fiddly and the quality isn't amazing. The Boredbrain Splix works as a mixer or attenuator, and is a bit more playable in a pinch.
I'm sure they are expensive to produce but damn I wish I had ordered one to judge quality instead of the $60 multipack.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm

windspirit wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm
<self promotion> Dont forget about the Mystic Circuits 0ttenuator for inline passive attenuation/ mixing/ panning. <self promotion>
I really like your 0 hp gadgets but I need some kind of keychain or something similar to hang them on when not in use. I keep misplacing them. :help:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

Exit Chamber
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Exit Chamber » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:57 pm

windspirit wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm

0HP 0ttenuator white background.JPG
Are Thonk going to be getting a restock of these any time in the near future? I'm keen to pick some up.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes I'm talking with Thonk about a restock, Escape from Noise has assembled units in stock for the EU.

Maybe I should make a little 0HP bag or something, a keychain would certainly be an interesting option.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Phitar wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm
I really like your 0 hp gadgets but I need some kind of keychain or something similar to hang them on when not in use. I keep misplacing them. :help:
Get a piece of hardware store aluminum bar. Cut it slightly longer than the Otenuator is wide. Drill two holes for the jack bushings and one at the end for your keychain. mount the plate with two jack nuts. Done

Alternatively use an angle instead of bar and it doesn't need to be as wide or overhang the width footprint.

Wouldn't have to be aluminum, that's just my goto material. Could be lasercut plastic or wood-ponoko or makerspace.

Or 3DPrinted plastic. If you sized the holes right they'd be press fit and wouldn't need nuts. Could incorporate a cover at the same time

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Even simpler, how about a leather shoelace lanyard tied between the two PCBs at one of the corners?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”