Supercritical NEUTRON FLUX 8 Pole Variable Character Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Re: Supercritical NEUTRON FLUX 8 Pole Variable Character Filter

Post by smoo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:05 am

This is the most interesting Filter next to the gorgeus sounding Filter Threek of Funkstill.

BUT: The Layout of the Neutron Flux Filter (Knobs, Space) must have been made by someone not working with eurorack at all. Pots are all at the very sides. That means: We are extremly limited in the choice of the modules sitting left and right in the rack. Then in the middle is nothing. Space with nothing (!?). Then the black knob. On a black surface. This module seems to sound so good wirh tons of possibilities, but the layout is not good at all. I might not buy it as I dont have so much space to waste.

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:12 am

smoo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:05 am
This is the most interesting Filter next to the gorgeus sounding Filter Threek of Funkstill.

BUT: The Layout of the Neutron Flux Filter (Knobs, Space) must have been made by someone not working with eurorack at all. Pots are all at the very sides. That means: We are extremly limited in the choice of the modules sitting left and right in the rack. Then in the middle is nothing. Space with nothing (!?). Then the black knob. On a black surface. This module seems to sound so good wirh tons of possibilities, but the layout is not good at all. I might not buy it as I dont have so much space to waste.
Heh. I understand your point of view. Can’t please everyone. I do use multiple eurorack setups daily and I’ve given much thought on this. These are the points I based the design and made the mandatory decisions on:

- 12 hp. With the trend of smaller eurorack cases and units the hp factor is notable. It’s better to fit in someone’s Pod or live rack rather than take too much space.
- Extra space can be arranged by smart placing in the rack. If the modules next are crammed, we can always add black 2hp blinds next to them. That’s the freedom of modular.
- Our design principles lean a bit toward “miniature” rather than 5U-like. Each do have their advantages.
- Symmetric layout of knobs and connectors. The most wigglable controls on top.
- The encoder knob must be slightly lower and smaller than the rest of the knobs since it’s mostly a set-and-forget control indicated by the leds. That leaves a bit of vertical space for wiggling.
- We want to use pots with good hats and a good feel. The plastic tiny pots in the mini Mutables I’ve build have their advantages but we prefer these.

The space with no control was something I wanted to take advantage with the graphic. That’s kind of an experiment. It’s also necessary to have for the temperature-controlled filter cores. There are just over 400 components in the unit on a single PCBA (to make it 25mm thick) so there needs to be some empty space too.

As I said, some decisions must be made when designing the UI. These are the decisions and reasons behind it. Do try it if you see it in a shop. I’m a happy wiggler with it.
Supercritical Synthesizers - Email us for all inclusive time and space travel packages. Go now before Tom Cruise does!

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:48 am

Supercritical Synthesizers - Email us for all inclusive time and space travel packages. Go now before Tom Cruise does!

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 am

I hooe we will see good demos soon.

I would.be interested in a really good sounding and flexible filter.

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:02 am

Ahoy-hoy!

Just to let you know that the filters now seem to be arriving to stores one by one. Ask your nearest store for more up to date status!

Freaky Steve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Freaky Steve » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 am

So close to ordering this thing, need a demo of it doing more of the distortion tricks like at the 7.45 spot in the superbooth video.

Would also like to hear some play on the FM input.

Very intriguing.

Perfect circuit site says they have it, so they are out there.

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:41 am

Did you check out all the stuff on our Instagram and Youtube channels?

Will upload more videos in the coming days.

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tisaalho » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 am

I'm a bit of a sucker for vintage sounds, so I tried out the Neutron Flux (together with our Demon Core Oscillator) on a synthpop / electronic style demo. I've been working on the "Yellow bank" of responses (which should be ready for release some time early next year) for the NF lately, so I naturally kind of gravitated towards trying those out. This actually the first time I've really gotten the chance to use the filter in actual music making :eek: Everything except drums from the NF + DCO + expander (see track description for more details). Check it out:

Supercritical Synthesizers: digital brain, analog heart

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 am

People keep saying you can't have enough VCAs, which just isn't true - what is true though, is that you can't have enough filters. This one looks awesome. Will definitely pick it up once finances will allow.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:20 pm

tisaalho wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:42 am
I'm a bit of a sucker for vintage sounds, so I tried out the Neutron Flux (together with our Demon Core Oscillator) on a synthpop / electronic style demo. I've been working on the "Yellow bank" of responses (which should be ready for release some time early next year) for the NF lately, so I naturally kind of gravitated towards trying those out. This actually the first time I've really gotten the chance to use the filter in actual music making :eek: Everything except drums from the NF + DCO + expander (see track description for more details). Check it out:

Cool track Tisaalho. :tu:

tisaalho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tisaalho » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:38 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Cool track Tisaalho. :tu:
Thanks! It was fun to make 8-) I've been wondering if I should even try to make a proper song out of it :hmm:

Here's a bit of something different by Heikki:
Supercritical Synthesizers: digital brain, analog heart

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm

as much as i adore the Altar, sometimes you just need a filter that takes stereo.

this thing sounds amazebutts.

orrrrrrderrrred.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Freaky Steve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Freaky Steve » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 am
People keep saying you can't have enough VCAs, which just isn't true - what is true though, is that you can't have enough filters. This one looks awesome. Will definitely pick it up once finances will allow.
I'm totally the same way, find myself craving just one more filter way more than needing a VCA. Maybe because a lot of my voice modules have VCAs or envelopes built in? Never quit understood that saying, LFOs and other modulators are what I seem to need the most of.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:11 pm

This is the only thing that gets in the same ball park as Schippmann's VCF1E in terms of sheer character hot swap-abilty. Clever design.

::tips hat::
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

FS: SSF Entity

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:56 pm

[quote=tisaalho post_id=3418413 time=1608637320 user_id=49845]

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/supercritical-sy ... ers-thesis[/soundcloud]
[/quote]

After listening to this I directly ordered the filter. Great example thanks. It does sound really good.

But I will change the knobs for sure, I dont like the knobs, the size and the placement right at the edges of them. But it seems to sound really good.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 pm

got mines in, loooooove it. the Stereo knob does such beautiful things.

trying to show off some of the Character feel of the Neutron Flux. 's a Maestro LFO into the Resonance, then fiddling with the Freq through some different Character and Poles settings -

then a more ambient jammer playaround with the Livestock Bang going into Neutron into Imitor Versio -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Thinking about adding this to the list... wondering if anyone else has any feedback?

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm

I received it today, then I played around several hours with it.

I can't believe they just reinvented filters with this one. its.......wonderful.

Strangely enough it has a certain character. A somehow very clean but really warm one, super open and very deep. I guess thats why they also put a distortion in it. But even distorted it sounds always like a big studio.

I compared the ladder mode to a Model D. It can sound almost the same! Then I checked the SVF with a Erebus 3 which I love. It can mimik the Erebus! Not as close like the ladder but it works for me. Then I checked against my favorite filter. The Funkstill Filterthreek in OTA Mode. Its close. This js my favorite setting so far. The Filterthreek does sound a bit woodier and has a bit more color in my favorite settings. But the Neutron Flux can make it sound soo good also, just play around with the drive.

After one hour I tried the stereo processor with two VCAs. I was a bit overwhelmed first and I thought I can never get that to fit in a mix. It needs a bit caution as it just opens a new level of stereo image. I always wanted a Matriach because of his stereo filters. I dont need that anymore.

I made a little track just to learn working with it. I will post that as sooon as I have the time.

This my new Nr. 1 of all filters and I still have so much to expore. But I will still use my Filtrerthreek next to it as it has some magic I could not live without.

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 am

To get to know the filter I produced this little track. Its all Neutron Flux, except the pad (pretty silent pad of the waldorf quantum) and the drums.

The only VCO I used was the Instruo CS-L. On one sound I run out of sawtooths, so I mixed in the Erebus OSC3 VCO (the first high FX sound you hear in the track). But that all went in to the Neutron Flux - two STG VCA's (stereo on some sounds) - Mimeophon - Cosmix - desk. No EQ, No Compression, no Plugins.
I don't know those two heavy metal-guys at Supercritial. But I think, this filter is in its own world. Not that I managed to show this, but its insanely flexible and almost always sounds good. Giant sweetspot.

The main Lead (the one with the "sidechain" was the "Mean" MS-20 Like filter. The rest is Crisp and Liquid. I did not use the sour. The Two Basses are Moog or Liquid, i forgot. One is stereo. Both basses sounds huge in the studio, without any outboard.

https://soundcloud.com/sagezahn-smoo/demo-neutronflux

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:30 am

Filters, why can't I resist you?

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 am

Superb filter! I would agree about the sentiments regarding the knob placement though but it generally shouldn't be an issue depending on what kind of case you have and where you place the module. I wanted to have it at the right edge of a row in my doepfer monster case and quickly realized that wasn't going to happen because these cases have a "lip" at the edges that protrudes, and this makes it basically impossible to comfortably grab/turn the knobs at the right side of the module. To be clear, none of my module's knobs are that accessible in these locations due to this case design, but particularly so for the Flux due to the knobs being larger and placed at the extreme edges of the panel. A very minor gripe and I only wanted to post it here as a heads-up - otherwise I'm extremely happy with this excellent filter.
Attachments
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:57 pm

the knobs are really big. I will change them and its solved. They are as big as on a 5 HE System. Those are the biggest knobs I know on any brand.

But it sounds awesome. I am also surprised that I can record Basses in Stereo and it sounds great and fat in the mix. Even short sequencer basses. Did not expect tha

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:36 am

After over a month in use, the Knobs are no problem for me. I am sure this genious module will have success one day.

The MS20 Filter is really close to my K2, a bit more rounded (and Stereo) and crazy flexible, the Moog and the SVF too. I cant really compare the Roland-/Sour Filter, but I love it and it has really nice resonance tone. This one and the OTA are my favorites. I almost constantly using it in stereo since a month. I am using it in every patch at the moment and am recordong all the time.

hzzzu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hzzzu » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 am

Today, the Neutron Flux sounded like this:

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:06 pm

This filter sounds really dang good. Gotta think it’s the cost that is keeping this thread so minimal but if you want quality you’ve got to pay for it!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”