best sequencer with slides?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

re-Verse
Common Wiggler

best sequencer with slides?

Post by re-Verse » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm

I've got a Rene 2, but am really frustrated with my inability to get (much) longer than 16 note sequences. I recently added a midi controller, but that hasn't done much for me as I hate sitting at the computer working stuff out there when I want to be at the rack.

Out of all the sequencers I saw, it looked like the Eloquencer came closest to what I want, but I know it doesn't do note slides without wonky workarounds requiring extra channel programing and an extra module. Is there anything out there that is quick/easy to work with that will give me that kind of creative ability to both play notes in to it and have things like slides on notes? If this means buying something external to the rack, so be it, but I have no idea where to start looking. Anyone have any advice?

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Re: best sequencer with slides?

Post by sir stony » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:25 pm

For me, the Stepper Acid is the one eurorack sequencer for this typical "acid line" programming, with both, glide and accent. It is perfectly easy to use, but it also has its downsides: just one track, just 16 steps (but it has a song mode to chain patterns), the glide is analog and can only be adjusted by a pot, and for a single track sequencer, it is a bit big and pricey. But as I say, it really is a breeze to work with, you can program your sequence literally in under a minute. And it has that great way of programming/editing one pattern while another is playing, which makes it an addictive tool for neverending groove jam sessions...

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:33 pm

XOR Nerdseq is a great sequencer with adjustable glide per step among many other really great features.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm

I’ll second the NerdSEQ, and I’ll add the ER-101 to the table. They both do slides/portamento/glissando effortlessly, and the NerdSEQ gives you direct control over when you want the slide to start and the speed of the change.
Last edited by megarat on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm

stepper acid, just so much fun to play around just with slides and accent to get something very different. takes seconds to come up with grooves on it, my go-to sequencer for that. sometimes i wish i had kept my second one..

re-Verse
Common Wiggler

Post by re-Verse » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:47 pm
stepper acid, just so much fun to play around just with slides and accent to get something very different. takes seconds to come up with grooves on it, my go-to sequencer for that. sometimes i wish i had kept my second one..
I've got a couple 303 clones I often use for sequencing, would stepper acid bring much more to the table beyond that?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm

re-Verse wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm

I've got a couple 303 clones I often use for sequencing, would stepper acid bring much more to the table beyond that?
No idea what these clones can do, so hard for me to tell. If they can make your vco glide and if it can do acccent for it too, then not really. stepper acid is very basic. it can save hmm 40 sequences i believe, and it also has a song mode to build with those 40 sequences. it has no fancy randomization or anything like that.

Breezewax
Common Wiggler

Post by Breezewax » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:41 pm

megarat wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm
I’ll second the NerdSEQ, and I’ll add the ER-101 to the table. They both do slides/portamento/glissando effortlessly, and the NerdSEQ gives you direct control over when you want the slide to start and the speed of the change.
Sonic Voltage has some amazing tutorials on these and the Eloquencer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBZeBu ... tx1BrQX89A

I personally have the Nerdseq and its insanely powerful, its constantly updated, Thomas the creator is really fast at answering questions on the forum at https://xor-electronics.com/
There is an expander coming out soon to plug in a monitor and keyboard, last I heard Thomas is doing a few last fixes and getting the new firmware ready (which adds a lot of new features), i got into modular to get away from the computer but this will make programming it next level.

Ive heard the Cirklon is the mother of all sequencers but theres a waitlist and its $$$

re-Verse
Common Wiggler

Post by re-Verse » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks - i'm not sold on the nerdseq - i saw one in person a while ago, and wasn't sure I want to get back into manual tracking - it'd be nice if there was something like that that would also let me band out sometimes on a keyboard and then modify/extend it on a module - i may be asking too much.

papastratman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papastratman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Westlicht Performer. Really a great sequencer.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Intellijel Metropolis might be a good candidate to look into...

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm

re-Verse wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:31 pm
Thanks - i'm not sold on the nerdseq - i saw one in person a while ago, and wasn't sure I want to get back into manual tracking - it'd be nice if there was something like that that would also let me band out sometimes on a keyboard and then modify/extend it on a module - i may be asking too much.
(emphasis mine)

Honestly, NerdSEQ doesn’t feel like I’m back in front of a computer tracker (at least barely and not in any way I’d consider bad ;) ,) and does support real-time recording over both MIDI and CV/gate (it can also use those sources for setting notes during step editing, which is very, very handy.)

re-Verse
Common Wiggler

Post by re-Verse » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm
does support real-time recording over both MIDI and CV/gate (it can also use those sources for setting notes during step editing, which is very, very handy.)
ok, time to take another look.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 am

Metropolis.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

Brennanib
Common Wiggler

Post by Brennanib » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 am

Stepper acid
Flxs1
Rene was pretty good too if I can remember correctly
Metropolis
@brennanfowlerib
@patchnbrew
@motsgso

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC177iw ... ZO6a8Yu6Sg
Dragonaut wrote:PMed for Cat...

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 am

Not sure if that's a solution you'd be after but you could always use an external slew limiter, which may also add the benefit of added control over your slew rate (ths disting has a decent algorithm for this).

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 am

Get a separate slew module to add the "slides" and you can use any sequencer on which you like the other features.
Damn, I didn't see the post above this one. :doh:
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am

re-Verse wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:10 pm
I've got a Rene 2, but am really frustrated with my inability to get (much) longer than 16 note sequences. I recently added a midi controller, but that hasn't done much for me as I hate sitting at the computer working stuff out there when I want to be at the rack.
How much longer are you looking for? You can create longer sequences with René 2 by chaining patterns (change states) but it’s not really it’s strong point :roll: There are still tricks and workarounds to achieve a longer sequences without touching the Z-axis though (the FUN page offers several options to influence your sequence for example)

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:51 am

I’m glad a few folks brought up slew limiters. I love that my power sequencer of choice has glide built in, but I’d hate to see someone having to disqualify any particular sequencer that would otherwise be their perfect match if only it had glide. Unless their work relies super-heavily on it, of course, at which point the priorities reasonably change. ;)

I’ve not looked into slew limiters in much detail, but as I recall the main suggestion from people has been to find one with separate control over both rise and fall, and with CV over each, so that’s about all I can reasonably contribute on that point. As much as I’m not currently in need, it’ll nevertheless be interesting to see what others might suggest.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 am

Try Qubit Bloom. Aside from the evolving sequences main selling point it has two channels of up to 32 steps each and very easy to adjust glide for the whole sequence or per step. Only 16hp too.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:51 am
I’m glad a few folks brought up slew limiters. I love that my power sequencer of choice has glide built in, but I’d hate to see someone having to disqualify any particular sequencer that would otherwise be their perfect match if only it had glide. Unless their work relies super-heavily on it, of course, at which point the priorities reasonably change. ;)
Yeah, this is a great point. One of the things about modular that I find most appealing is that you can assemble whatever primitives you need to achieve your aims, so it would be a shame to disregard what is otherwise an excellent sequencer for the lack of that one function, especially since options for offboard slew limiters are abundant. Maths is already quite common, and there are plenty of other full-featured slew limiters in the form of Function, Contour 1, Delta-V, etc., and there are more bare-bones options like the Doepfer A-170 and Ladik C-012.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm

What else do you look for in a sequencer? How many tracks of CV and gate do you require?

I used Eloquencer for a a while and I fell in love with its immediacy, it's 8 tracks of CV and gate. I wanted midi and USB integration though and after watching a few hermod videos I was sold on it. I listed the eloquencer for sale and replaced it with the hermod which has glide a long with a number of other effects.

What about the five12 vector? I think if rack space wasnt an issue and money was no object, I would definitely have the vector and expander in my rack.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:20 pm

papastratman wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm
I'll second this. https://westlicht.github.io/performer/
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

itscursedphil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by itscursedphil » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 am

sduck wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:20 pm
papastratman wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm
I'll second this. https://westlicht.github.io/performer/
I'll third this! Such an underrated sequencer, I guess mostly because it's so unknown because it's a DIY only module. But I think there are quite a few builders out there who build it. I got mine for 300€ and that's a total steal for such a powerful sequencer. Works lovely alongside my Rene 2.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”