Best sequential switch?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best sequential switch?

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:23 am

I’ve been looking at switches of late. What about the Acid Rain Switchblade?

BenB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BenB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:29 am

KSS wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:23 am
No normalling of the original. Because that would be quite easy to do with the matrix switches. And also because having matrix switches there is no ability to normal inputs without using the switches. Well, there is, but's that's pretty far outside a Euro topic.

On the Behringer it should be an easy mod to normal a fixed voltage into the jacks. In fact, it's a *really* good idea to do that. Rob's pretty sharp, so maybe they did that, but you'd have to ask him. Rob Keeble, of AMSynth.

Have a look at the EMW version too, if you haven't already seen it. Like NLC, they had-have a 2500 to guide their design.
Thank you again for your knowledge and thoughts on this

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:55 am

Another vote for RYO Paths. What I find quite fun to do with it is set up 4 drum triggers through it, and change the routing in performance to create drum fills and variation.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:58 am

lots of good words about the Ryo Paths but out of stock on synthcube...bad timing :goo:

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:25 pm

@Halfgeleider, unfortunately I suck at DIY and cannot solder to save my life so that path is out for me until I can make friends with DIY savvy modular folks in the future. The ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two, Erica Synths Sequential Switch v2, and Doepfer 150/1 look like what i would want in a decent sequential switch for routing 2-4 sound sources to new places for different generative patches. Space wise, the Erica Pico switch may work as I'd like to add 1-2 more voices to my small 6U setup to complement BIA and Cursus which are great for percussion and weird sounds but not for basslines or pads.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:32 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 pm
Muxslicer is it any good?
Take a look at the Divkid video, sure you'll be impressed.
mixxalot wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 pm
It is a very large module that would suck up a lot of space in my setup. I lack DIY skills and assembled ones are out of stock right now.
Not so big, given the amount of stuff you get from it. It's easy to find in Europe, you're right, in Europe have problems to find some interesting USA modules :hihi:

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:24 pm

Another vote for Ryo Paths, especially due to its manual options.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Antumbra PATH is the best overall switch module in eurorack IMO. Too bad none of the people who regularly sell DIY modules ever seem to have them, I had to commission mine. 2 1-4 switches or 1 1-8 switch, bidirectional, CV controlled or stepped. The length of the stepped sequence can be configured and the stepping can be forwards, backwards, pendulum, or random. 6hp. The reset input acts as a S&H for the CV input, like the strobe mode on Boss Bow Two. It does pretty much everything you could want from a general purpose switch.

Muxlicer and switchblade are really useful too.

dlabtot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dlabtot » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:05 pm

Octopus is an 8 way switch.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 pm
Antumbra PATH is the best overall switch module.
This looks cool but have you used a 4:4 or (any #>1):(any#>1) switch? They just bring some many more patch possibilities, rerouting a patch in so many ways. Of course you can still use it as just a :1 switch if needed.
I don’t think I could ever go back to a :1 switch (except maybe for simple utility needs) 4:4 is just so much more interesting imo.
I have my RYO Paths sitting right next to ornament and crime, pairs so well with it, being able to switch/swap and inputs sources or output destinations. Also setting next to time wizard, with Paths 4 ins and 4 outs it’s great for swapping clocks around the system clocking different modules too.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:17 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
This looks cool but have you used a 4:4 or (any #>1):(any#>1) switch? They just bring some many more patch possibilities, rerouting a patch in so many ways. Of course you can still use it as just a :1 switch if needed.
I don’t think I could ever go back to a :1 switch (except maybe for simple utility needs) 4:4 is just so much more interesting imo.
I have my RYO Paths sitting right next to ornament and crime, pairs so well with it, being able to switch/swap and inputs sources or output destinations. Also setting next to time wizard, with Paths 4 ins and 4 outs it’s great for swapping clocks around the system clocking different modules too.
I meant in the realm of "normal" 1-x switches. I looked at the RYO one when I was looking for more switching and decided I would probably end up frustrated with the fact that the only way it could route was by rotating (the frustration would arise regardless of whether or not I actually had any ideas for routes beyond rotation because I am an idiot). I have a Maze for 4x4 stuff (though it's unidirectional and the UI does not lend itself to the spontaneous flailing that characterizes my patching technique). SSM is appealing but a bit big for what would be fairly niche usage for me.

I actually often use path in a way similar to what you are describing. I patch in a ton of different CV/gate sources and use the same trigger for both sides with the sequence set to random. Picking random pairs of signals is pretty useful for generative.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:57 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Thanks for that, I'm currently using Antumbra Path & a couple of A151's, this looks like opening interesting possibilities, I love the Antumbra for random & cv addressable, also A151 for simplicity, combining them all is great but swapping out the two A151's for a 4:4 gives some interesting options. :party:

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 am

I've just noticed Noise Engineering are planning a 8x8 called Vice Virga, looks like an expanded RYO Path. Interesting.

carsenic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carsenic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:08 pm

I just decided on a Boss Bow Two after considering the Doepfer A-151 for a while. Simple enough to wrap my head around and has some interesting controls which I think will yield some pretty interesting results

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 am
I've just noticed Noise Engineering are planning a 8x8 called Vice Virga, looks like an expanded RYO Path. Interesting.
this looks very powerful. Only downside is that there is only an advance button. I hope the can add a "retard" button between reset and advance. NE, if your reading this...

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm

I have the Alyseum Matrix and doepfer seq switch. While the Alyseum is interesting and more capable of rearranging complex patches I probably use the doepfer more often since its simple and easy. I guess it depends on your workflow and patience for patching and managing a complex patch where all of the inputs and outputs change.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:27 pm

No mention on the erica synths v 1?
I have not seen any other sequential switch that already feels like a sequencer without any other modules. I can mute, skip and play in different modes.
My favourite by far.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:44 pm

pieter wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm
mrbloor wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 am
this looks very powerful. Only downside is that there is only an advance button. I hope the can add a "retard" button between reset and advance. NE, if your reading this...
It appears to be CV addressable, so just go whichever direction you want whenever you want? Or is that you’re specifically focusing on the button control aspect and want to avoid throwing a switch between those actions?

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:53 pm

@djthopa,

Ah yes the Erica Synths sequential switch looks amazing on par with ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two for features similar to those found in a sequencer.
It has v2 version now.

modmac
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modmac » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Add Qubit Synapse to the list. It pretty large for a switch but you get a lot of features packed in.
You can switch 4:4 but as you can fade between 2 inputs per channel it's like 8:4.
Switching can be sequential, random, and there is a reset.
Add in the slewing on switching and switching between saved presets it can get very fun.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:33 am

I'm really loving my WMD SL3kt
3 diff switches in 1 with CV or manual flips

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:17 am

Nice thanks everyone, need to think about this as so many choices! i plan to have 3-4 voices in my setup so a switch that can route these would work fine. Add in a clock and have most of what is needed for evolving self generative patches.

BenB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BenB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 am

everythingcontinues wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:50 am
Stages is dope. Could be a 6-stage switch or less than that and a myriad of other things. Can also glide between the stages and add offsets with the sliders.
Firmware update for Stages as a sequencer, also relevant to it's use as a sequential switch

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... ware/17493

Pretty fantastic additions imo

Can now also be a voltage addressed switch too, as I understand it

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:25 pm
@Halfgeleider, unfortunately I suck at DIY and cannot solder to save my life so that path is out for me until I can make friends with DIY savvy modular folks in the future. The ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two, Erica Synths Sequential Switch v2, and Doepfer 150/1 look like what i would want in a decent sequential switch for routing 2-4 sound sources to new places for different generative patches. Space wise, the Erica Pico switch may work as I'd like to add 1-2 more voices to my small 6U setup to complement BIA and Cursus which are great for percussion and weird sounds but not for basslines or pads.
Muffwiggler member Bobcat built me a Ryo Paths and did a great job. He's built many. He's good people too. Contact him if you find one.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”