Best sequential switch?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Re: Best sequential switch?

Post by everythingcontinues » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 pm

BenB wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:33 pm
everythingcontinues wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:51 am
everythingcontinues wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:50 am
Stages is dope. Could be a 6-stage switch or less than that and a myriad of other things. Can also glide between the stages and add offsets with the sliders.
BenB wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:02 am
I also love Stages! And have just bought some new envelopes to free it up more easily for its other functions. What do you mean in terms of gliding between the stages?
In the orange Step segment mode, the SHAPE/TIME potentiometers control the glide amount, which basically is like a slew or smooth transition from the current value to the next value. If you want it to just jump to the next one, set the pot fully counter-clockwise.
Ah yeh I see! Thanks very much for explaining. This is also shown in Divkid's great tutorial isn't it, which I just revisited

As you said at the start, with those offset and glide functions Stages has a lot to offer as a sequential switch

Thinking about it, I guess this functionality is also available in the Doepfer A-155 sequencer, that second row of CV with the inputs + glide. Although Stages allows varying slew on each individual step and they're obviously very different modules
No doubt! That DivKid video on it is superb; I think I've watched it a few times now.

And yeah, I love how flexible Stages is. I most often use it for sample & hold, sequential switching and extra free-running LFOs, but if I do need an extra envelope (or a few) it can pitch in there as well. I've also used it as a switched, modulate-able slew by multing a pitch sequence into two Step stages and sticking a Ramp stage in between to give more control over the glide / slew / portamento (the pot up top then gives you control over the shape). It requires a trigger to engage it and another one to get you back to the beginning, so it's a little bit more cumbersome than something like a gated slew limiter, but it does work.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:04 pm

I really like the Doepfer A-150 as well....simple, easy, 2 switches in one, albeit only 2 channel.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone. I want to be able to route 3-4 sources to 1-3 destinations with CV and audio control features. I have a few VCOs and LFOs that would benefit from a complex sequential switch device for generative patches. Right now I have been experimenting with my Doepfer A-171-2 VCS, Batumi LFOs and Kermit MK3 and Intellijel Quadrax with expander and these are fantastic modules. Also need a good clock and Pamela is the obvious choice for this feature. I was not aware that Disting can be a switch as well? Incredible! Dang now the Expert Sleepers Disting EX Alpha or whatever it is called is on my radar for must buy with all the features in small space. I figure that these utilities plus one more complex oscillator is perfect to finish my second 6U rack. Definitely waiting on IME/Harvestman PH3 and Hertz Donut MK3 as well.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:53 pm

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks bedhed3000, that looks amazing with tons of routing options for new patch ideas! Pair with Pamela New Workout for self generative fun without a sequencer to get in the way. I like the features of the ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two but very disappointed that they don't have many outputs for such a cool switch. WTF would you design a switch with cool features but limit inputs and outputs makes zero sense to me.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:35 pm

is any of these with "click-free" switching of audio signals ?
my guess would be No, right ?

i just remember that we all were waiting for the "Rabid elephant" unit to come, which never did :despair:

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:35 pm
is any of these with "click-free" switching of audio signals ?
my guess would be No, right ?

i just remember that we all were waiting for the "Rabid elephant" unit to come, which never did :despair:
Disting Ex has adjustable fade per switch.. it's wild

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:33 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:11 pm
Disting Ex has adjustable fade per switch.. it's wild
uhh, thats interesting, thanks.
But it has to be the EX ?......or is it also available on the small Distings ? ( if so, from which version on ? )

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:39 pm

I was not aware of the Disting having a switch function! Definitely worth picking it up for the many features.
Found this cool demo of it:

I think that my holiday modular shopping list will be: Expert Sleepers Disting EX, Pamela's New Workout, and Hertz Donut MK3 plus more stackable cables, knurlies and mults. Still I do prefer a dedicated switch module. Disting EX is worth getting for the sampler and FX and many other functions. Same for Mordax that does a ton of stuff.
Last edited by mixxalot on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:42 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:04 am
The Erica Synths Pico SEQS (not to be confused with Pico SEQ) is quite small for what it does.
The extra 1hp allows you to use a 1hp blank panel to make the 3hp wide module usable.
no wait, that requires a 1hp panel on each side, or 5hp total. :hmm:
eh what controls are you trying to reach? it is just a bunch of jacks with no hands on at all?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 am

Funky40 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:33 pm
uhh, thats interesting, thanks.
But it has to be the EX ?......or is it also available on the small Distings ? ( if so, from which version on ? )
MK4 on v4.14 has a 2x2 switch with an adjustable fade.
v4.17 added a chance parameter to it though so I would recommend the upgrade if you haven't

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:12 am

bedhed3000 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:53 pm
Look at this beast:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-32-1
The 32:1 has a bug - the 16th position is triggered twice: on the 1st step and 16th step.

yhf
Common Wiggler

Post by yhf » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:53 am

mixxalot wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:46 pm
Thanks everyone. I want to be able to route 3-4 sources to 1-3 destinations with CV and audio control features. I have a few VCOs and LFOs that would benefit from a complex sequential switch device for generative patches. Right now I have been experimenting with my Doepfer A-171-2 VCS, Batumi LFOs and Kermit MK3 and Intellijel Quadrax with expander and these are fantastic modules. Also need a good clock and Pamela is the obvious choice for this feature. I was not aware that Disting can be a switch as well? Incredible! Dang now the Expert Sleepers Disting EX Alpha or whatever it is called is on my radar for must buy with all the features in small space. I figure that these utilities plus one more complex oscillator is perfect to finish my second 6U rack. Definitely waiting on IME/Harvestman PH3 and Hertz Donut MK3 as well.
The Doepfer A-151 can switch four sources to one destination (or vice versa) and you can use it for CV and audio. It doesn't have a manual switch, though. If you don't need a manual switch, I'd say get a A-151 (or two).

Since you mention generative patches: You might want to take a look at the A-150 and MI Branches, too. I find them both very useful for generative music.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:19 am

If you don't have Muxlicer you need it now.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 pm

Muxslicer is it any good? It is a very large module that would suck up a lot of space in my setup. I lack DIY skills and assembled ones are out of stock right now. Will keep it in mind. The Erica Synths switch looks amazing as well.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 am
MK4 on v4.14 has a 2x2 switch with an adjustable fade.
v4.17 added a chance parameter to it though so I would recommend the upgrade if you haven't
interesting, thanks !
i have no MK4, just an unused mk2.
but a 2x2 switch would be perfect. I have to keep that in mind

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 pm

One of my all time favorite SEQ SW is the 1050 MixSequencer from the ARP 2500. Behringer's redo seems to include all of its most important features, and should be reliable. Don't discount its size without giving it a try first. It's performance based and isn't intended to be be sat like baby in a corner!

BenB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BenB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:28 am

KSS wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 pm
One of my all time favorite SEQ SW is the 1050 MixSequencer from the ARP 2500. Behringer's redo seems to include all of its most important features, and should be reliable. Don't discount its size without giving it a try first. It's performance based and isn't intended to be be sat like baby in a corner!
I've been eyeing this, and also the existing 1050 adaptation by NLC

I've been trying to understand what extra functionality the Behringer will have, on account of the push buttons etc. As I understand it, the buttons allow you to (1) add / remove a given input from the sequence, and (2) manually override the sequence, to output whichever one you've punched. (Nb I don't know what the relationship is between the on/off buttons and the 'counter' - like what happens if the counter is set to 8 but only 7 of the steps are on / activated?)

On the other hand the Behringer doesn't seem to have reset (which the nlc does), or the rectified outputs of the nlc - I don't know what they allow in practice but am sure they're there for a reason

Also I haven't found an eta on the Behringer

If anyone has any thoughts on whether the Behringer is likely to be worth waiting for vs the nlc, I'd be very interested. The buttons do seem like they'll add a lot

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:40 am

I use the ADDAC214 - it allows to to VC control through 4 ins to 4 outs.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 am

@BenB
The module is two 4x1 mixers with mutes.
The white on-off are the mutes. They do not affect the counter. They may be pressed at any time and can shut an active channel off, and can make an inactive channel live. Active-inactive for those not already set by the white buttons is chosen by the counter. If mute button is unlit, you get a 'rest' in the output if-when the count includes that channel. The white buttons always show the analog switch status for that channel. Lit = on.
The red buttons are exclusive on XON 'radio' buttons. Either (1 of 4)x2 or 1 of 8, depending on mode switch.
A sequence counter allows max count of 4 or 8 according to mode selected. A counter rotary switch can be set from off. 2-8. If set above 4 in mode where 4 is max, it resets after 4.

There are three modes for these two 4x1 mixers and the counter which sequences them. Selected by a three position toggle switch.
L- They are treated as separate mixers, the counter resets at 2-4. They count in parallel, and the 8 red XON buttons are also split into two groups of four.
M- Parallel counting to 4 or fewer, 8 input mixer as below, XON is 1of 8
R- The mixers are combined into one 8 input mixer, with two parallel outputs that have individual master gain per 4 inputs. The count is 2-8, and the XON switches are joined to allow instantly choosing to make any 1 of 8 channels active. Signal switching is still a function of the counter. The XON only enable channel mutes. They can un-mute a channel, but do not change the counter. Any unmuted channel *is* part of the mix.

For example, you have the rotary at 8 steps. There are some muted channels and some un-muted. The mode switch is Middle or Right. You press XON 1.
White switch 1 lights up -or stays lit, the rest go out and you now only hear the sound of whatever's patched into 1 on every 8th clock. You get this out of both mixers, so at potentially two different levels. Because the mixer is 8 input, with the bottom half output paralleled to the top half.
If you now flip the mode switch full left, you'll no longer get anything from the bottom mix out, and you'll hear channel 1 every 4th clock at the top mixer output. You can now also chose one of the four bottom inputs to sound -from the bottom out- by using one of the XON buttons of the bottom mixer. It will sound in parallel count to the top. If you press 5, both 1 and 5 will play every 4th clock.

Then of course you have the VC clock with rate control, manual step, pulse out jack and clock input <--Labeled ext advance.
In the original the eight inputs were on the lower matrix switches so there was another mechanism to choose and enable what was going into the module prior to anything the module could do with those inputs. Since those are only jacks in the Behringer module, you'd either need to patch each to its own switch or be really good at patchcords to get the same kind of results you can get with the OG.

But the B1050's still a useful tool with what it does have. The mute and XON buttons make the module playable.

The NLC is a different thing. Just like the EMW -also based on the 1050- is a different thing.

Edit: I added quite a bit to my -non euro- version. Like VC and Up/down counting. External SELect (CTR) as well as external gate. Separate mode switches to have all 8 possible combinations instead of only the three modes of the original. Either gate outputs or additional signal inputs for channels 5-8. I know Rob said he changed from TTL to CMOS, but some of my mods may still be applicable to the Behringer version. I never saw a strong need for hard reset, but that should be an easy mod.
Last edited by KSS on Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BenB » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:08 am

Thanks KSS! That's really helpful info

On the original, if nothing is patched to the inputs, is voltage normalled to the pots, so that it can be used as a standard step sequencer? Or as a hybrid where the output of some steps are set by the pots, and some channel external cv?

I had understood that the NLC worked very much as you described, except for the mute and XON buttons, but maybe I misunderstood?

Although I can see that those buttons make a huge difference, and do make it a very different thing

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:23 am

No normalling of the original. Because that would be quite easy to do with the matrix switches. And also because having matrix switches there is no ability to normal inputs without using the switches. Well, there is, but's that's pretty far outside a Euro topic.

On the Behringer it should be an easy mod to normal a fixed voltage into the jacks. In fact, it's a *really* good idea to do that. Rob's pretty sharp, so maybe they did that, but you'd have to ask him. Rob Keeble, of AMSynth.

Have a look at the EMW version too, if you haven't already seen it. Like NLC, they had-have a 2500 to guide their design.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:44 am

What about the Jouranalogue Switch 4?

https://joranalogue.com/products/switch-4

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:31 am

That's not a sequential switch.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:41 am

Cant speak about other switches, but if you like some DIY, STmodular "path" is a fun module. 1-4, 4-1, 8-1,1-8 , has a seperate crossfade like output.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”