best 4hp utility module ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

best 4hp utility module ?

Post by zerodivide » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:21 pm

what's the best utility module in 4hp? I have the basics covered but have 4hp left
would love some logic. Is Disting mk4 the right move? Anything more immediate with tons of functionality?
here's my rack in case anybody cares:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1255965

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Re: best 4hp utility module ?

Post by tvparcable » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 pm

The disting is a fantastic toolbox and does most things very well, albeit in a rather basic way. If you're looking for a simple utility covered by the disting and all you have is 4hp, it's probably your best move, even if you absolutely can't deal with menu diving (just stick to the same algorithm). If you're looking for logic and a little more in something that's not the disting, Mutable makes something nice for 4hp (Kinks I believe).

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 pm

I think if you get the disting you'll wish you got the EX after not long. Massively useful in such small space (although 8hp...)

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Just get the disting; you won't regret it. And if you really love it sooo much that you want another one then sell it and get the EX, but I personally find that one disting does it for me. The only situation where I find myself wanting another one is when I'm using the vocoder and then sometimes I'll wish I could also have the quantizer.

mog00
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mog00 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:16 pm

I too often find the best 4HP module is the one I don't have, but if you don't have a disting, it really is the most diverse 4hp utility at a great price. You might just want to leave that space open, because what happens after you fill your case is ... buying a bigger case.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:24 pm

+1 for Disting.

This thread may well be retitled 'The 2nd Best 4hp Utility Module'

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:08 pm

While you can't strictly go wrong with Disting, this whole thing is kinda lacking in modulation sources. Ochd, A-145-4, Clep Diaz, or RND STEP come to mind.

mog00
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mog00 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:10 pm

I just picked up a Cleo Diaz love that module that’s a great choice for 4hp that is not a disting.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 pm

Here’s an idea.... lose the STmix and get either a Disting EX or a uO_C and 2hp sized unity mixer.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 pm

Phitar wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 pm
Here’s an idea.... lose the STmix and get either a Disting EX or a uO_C and 2hp sized unity mixer.
Already have an O_C though! You're suggesting a 2nd one or did you miss the one in my rack? :)

jamos
Common Wiggler

Post by jamos » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:45 pm

I don't see a Sloth...
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, MPC Live, and a growing Euro system.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:33 am

Mutable Instruments Kinks. very useful.

GmbH
Common Wiggler

Post by GmbH » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:33 am

If space restriction nags you, why not getting a smaller version of Clouds?
You can then get Disting mk4 (if you are lucky to find one) and just cover the remaining space with a blank panel or have enough room to test that module-you-don’t-need-but-why-not-give-it-a-go?

Filling a case to the last HP always brings you to… getting another bigger/extra case :moneyburn:

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:23 pm

-1 for Disting. I tried it three times and was soooo releived each time they sold and went away. You might love it but it wasn't for me.

I'd recommend the 4hp version of Peaks (sometimes called Pique). Envelopes, LFOs (all kinds), and solid drums. Plus it's easy to remember each function without pulling up a manual everytime you want something different out of it.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:14 pm

either a disting or kinks, probably kinks

disting has all the functionality kinks does and a whole lot more, but can only do 1 thing at a time - whereas kinks can do rectification, logic and sample and hold - all at the same time - and whilst you have a decent amount of modulation you don't have a lot of modules for altering it - plus I'd want the disting EX for the larger screen (tiny font, but you can get cheap reading glasses easily if needed) and the dual features, so I'd hold off on this until the inevitable next case!
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Overand
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Overand » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:23 pm

It's certainly not "The Best 4hp Utikity Nodule," (EDIT: Terrible typo, but it's too funny to fix) but I think you might want to consider the WMD 4TTEN; It's 4 channels of attenuation on faders, normalled to 5V; I use it often to control parameters on my Disting, or my Ornament & Crime. If you got one, you could potentially give up one of your Quadratts and get a bunch of 1U space back.

(You should also get one of the expanders for Pam's New Workout! MIDI, DIM Synth, and various standard clocks (/4, x4, etc. Don't think you need DIN Sync? It works GREAT to clock mutable grids at 24PPQN; I made my own cable and immediately regretted not having done so two months ago!)
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

Overand
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Overand » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:26 pm

xcc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:23 pm
-1 for Disting. I tried it three times and was soooo releived each time they sold and went away. You might love it but it wasn't for me.
Two things that helped me a ton? Using a "favorites.txt" file on it to bookmark the algorithms I used the most, and, having a reference handy!
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Overand wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:26 pm
xcc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:23 pm
Two things that helped me a ton? Using a "favorites.txt" file on it to bookmark the algorithms I used the most, and, having a reference handy!
yeah and it's surprising how quickly you stop needing the reference for the favourites
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 pm

GmbH wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:33 am
Anything smaller than Moonsoon is a hell of a pain to use- and that's a modest space gain too for the outlay too. Tiny clouds with all trimpots is wretched to use.

In any case, buying more clouds right now might not be a brilliant idea.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:31 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 pm
Already have an O_C though! You're suggesting a 2nd one or did you miss the one in my rack? :)
Guess I missed it. Two can be fun though.... I have two running different software.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 pm

As for Disting, I hear so many people hate the menu diving on it.
As for Clouds, yeah I've been debating slimming down Clouds to Monsoon. A couple of my friends though swear the clones don't do the original justice. And with Clouds the smallest knob movements make a huge difference so the big knobs are nice to have
I may also sell preemptively for a bit though as I'm almost positive Clouds 2 will drop any moment and its likely smaller than the OG.
But I also have a feeling it won't have reverb and I use it quite heavily on the OG version
Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 pm
GmbH wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:33 am
Anything smaller than Moonsoon is a hell of a pain to use- and that's a modest space gain too for the outlay too. Tiny clouds with all trimpots is wretched to use.

In any case, buying more clouds right now might not be a brilliant idea.
Last edited by zerodivide on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:06 pm

Overand wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:23 pm
It's certainly not "The Best 4hp Utikity Nodule," (EDIT: Terrible typo, but it's too funny to fix) but I think you might want to consider the WMD 4TTEN; It's 4 channels of attenuation on faders, normalled to 5V; I use it often to control parameters on my Disting, or my Ornament & Crime. If you got one, you could potentially give up one of your Quadratts and get a bunch of 1U space back.

(You should also get one of the expanders for Pam's New Workout! MIDI, DIM Synth, and various standard clocks (/4, x4, etc. Don't think you need DIN Sync? It works GREAT to clock mutable grids at 24PPQN; I made my own cable and immediately regretted not having done so two months ago!)
not a bad idea but I do have 2 Quadratts so I think I'm ok with Attenuation for this rack :)

Agawell wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:14 pm
either a disting or kinks, probably kinks

disting has all the functionality kinks does and a whole lot more, but can only do 1 thing at a time - whereas kinks can do rectification, logic and sample and hold - all at the same time - and whilst you have a decent amount of modulation you don't have a lot of modules for altering it - plus I'd want the disting EX for the larger screen (tiny font, but you can get cheap reading glasses easily if needed) and the dual features, so I'd hold off on this until the inevitable next case!
Kinks has definitely been on my list. Since I still have some 1u space though on my bottom 4U case, I've been debating if I should get Intellijel Noisetools 1u which would cover similar ground. Good call either way! thanks

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:22 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 pm
The Ui is questionable, but the utility is off the scale. Generally if you have any other module that can do the job, you won't reach for your Disting. If you don't have another module to cover it, Disting is a lifesaver. Even in a small case, I think I'd want to sneak in at least a mk.4.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 pm

zerodivide wrote:
As far as I'm concerned the right way to use the Disting is:
1. Patch without it.
2. Realize that you're missing a specific module functionality to make your patch idea work.
3. Fetch the Disting manual and find out which mode covers said missing functionality.
4. ???
5. Profit!
So, no menu diving because you're not changing modes within a patch.

What follows from this is that what would be bad UI design in literally any other module is good UI design in the Disting, and vice versa. No UI, no matter how well-crafted, will allow you puny human to memorize 160 modes which all do completely different things. Thus, the UI shouldn't pretend that this was in any way possible, and the only way Expert Sleepers could have made the Disting UI better suited to its job is by plagiarizing Mannequins and calling the inputs This and That.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Arneb wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 pm
zerodivide wrote:
As far as I'm concerned the right way to use the Disting is:
1. Patch without it.
2. Realize that you're missing a specific module functionality to make your patch idea work.
3. Fetch the Disting manual and find out which mode covers said missing functionality.
4. ???
5. Profit!
So, no menu diving because you're not changing modes within a patch.

What follows from this is that what would be bad UI design in literally any other module is good UI design in the Disting, and vice versa. No UI, no matter how well-crafted, will allow you puny human to memorize 160 modes which all do completely different things. Thus, the UI shouldn't pretend that this was in any way possible... The only way Expert Sleepers could have made the Disting UI better suited to its job is if they had plagiarized Mannequins and called the inputs This and That.
yeah honestly it makes the most sense, especially since theres so many things i COULD use from it that I dont have in my rack, things that would be one -offs and not always used. I'm curious though if they will release an MK5 after the EX with a similar screen just smaller

Return to “Eurorack Modules”