Metropolis or RYK-185, and why?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

garlic_monster
Learning to Wiggle

Metropolis or RYK-185, and why?

Post by garlic_monster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:38 pm

Hello,

I have been gassing for either a Metropolis or RYK-185. Curious, which is the better more strait forward Sequencer and why?

I realize Metropolis is only 1x CV/Gate out, but that doesn't bother me as I already have a Dark Time, Avalon Bassline (303 Sequencer) & Beatstep Pro.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Re: Metropolis or RYK-185, and why?

Post by oilpanic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:41 pm

The main feature I love with the RYK is the several options per step, I believe there are 8 on the RYK but only 4 on the Metropolis. That alone puts me firmly in the RYK camp.
I think both units would be straight forward to figure out and have fun with. It’s more a matter of if you have the time and skill to put the RYK together vs just picking up a Metropolitan at the store in my mind.

garlic_monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by garlic_monster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks oilpanic for the reply, and especially the personal preference of the RYK. I would actually be buying an assembled version of the RYK, as my solder skills are lacking. Do you find it is difficult to remember the modes / meanings of the pictograms on the RYK?

b.aCattoday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by b.aCattoday » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm

If you haven’t checked out Mylar Melodies on YouTube, he will absolutely sell you on the metropolis. I find that the ease of access in metropolis is a big selling feature. Any parameters that I want to CV control are easily accessible in a 1 layer menu in the module, as opposed to having to load a Sysex file into the module. Now, I can only speak from my own experience with Metropolis because I have never owned the RYK, however, this thing is the shit!
:sb: :sb:

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:42 pm

garlic_monster wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:07 pm
Thanks oilpanic for the reply, and especially the personal preference of the RYK. I would actually be buying an assembled version of the RYK, as my solder skills are lacking. Do you find it is difficult to remember the modes / meanings of the pictograms on the RYK?
No, the settings are really simple to remember and after a hour or two you will have most of the features figured out. I have not used the sequencer in dual mode but I did use its midi output and I was chocked! For once something electronic diy actually worked right away without a hitch! I had loads of fun running software synths in Logic (oh the blasphemy) out of the midi port. So powerful. But the main thing is that it is such a joy to use. I have a few other sequencers an none is as easy and direct as this one. It’s real fun all night long. For a fun time call 1-800-RYK-185!

garlic_monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by garlic_monster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 pm

"It’s real fun all night long. For a fun time call 1-800-RYK-185!"

Hahaha

garlic_monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by garlic_monster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 pm

Yes oilpanic, the midi in/out seems like such a powerful tool, especially since I am big on DAW arrangement and have a ton of midi synths. Probably the biggest feature pushing me towards the RYK-185.

garlic_monster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by garlic_monster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:24 pm

b.aCattoday wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm
If you haven’t checked out Mylar Melodies on YouTube, he will absolutely sell you on the metropolis. I find that the ease of access in metropolis is a big selling feature. Any parameters that I want to CV control are easily accessible in a 1 layer menu in the module, as opposed to having to load a Sysex file into the module. Now, I can only speak from my own experience with Metropolis because I have never owned the RYK, however, this thing is the shit!
Yes!!! Mylar's probably helped Metropolis explode in popularity. Wild possibilities with the immediacy of the Metropolis!

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 am

I'm looking at a RYK-185 at the mo, but looking at a couple of videos, it doesnt appear to have a clock input.
can someone confirm?

Also it does scales correct?

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 am
I'm looking at a RYK-185 at the mo, but looking at a couple of videos, it doesnt appear to have a clock input.
can someone confirm?

I clock it from my Pamela’s New Workout, so it does have a clock input. If you look in the manual you’ll see that it has a bidirectional clock in/out jack.

I can’t speak for the Metropolis but overall I really enjoy the M185. For my purposes I run two parallel 4-step sequences and the variety you can access with a couple of simple changes is great. I didn’t find it hard to learn really. I should note I don’t use the internal scales/ quantisation as I quantise outside of the sequencer, with other CV lines as well, so can’t say how well that works or not.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 am

sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 am
peachesandbacon wrote:
can someone confirm?

I clock it from my Pamela’s New Workout, so it does have a clock input. If you look in the manual you’ll see that it has a bidirectional clock in/out jack.

I can’t speak for the Metropolis but overall I really enjoy the M185. For my purposes I run two parallel 4-step sequences and the variety you can access with a couple of simple changes is great. I didn’t find it hard to learn really. I should note I don’t use the internal scales/ quantisation as I quantise outside of the sequencer, with other CV lines as well, so can’t say how well that works or not.
Great, thank you.
does anyone know if there's a mod in, so you can transpose notes around.
I know this is possible on Metropolis, but wasnt sure if this was doable on the RYK

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:58 am

Metropolis for the better visual feedback. I wish the RYK panel was a little less cryptic and the A B implementation was a little easier to vibe with.

PlateOfShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PlateOfShrimp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:33 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 am
sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 am
peachesandbacon wrote:
can someone confirm?

Great, thank you.
does anyone know if there's a mod in, so you can transpose notes around.
I know this is possible on Metropolis, but wasnt sure if this was doable on the RYK
I don't think it does. Back when I was researching sequencers, that was one of the main reasons I didn't go for it. Still seems like a solid choice, but it didn't look like it'd be good for more random stuff.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm

oilpanic wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:41 pm
The main feature I love with the RYK is the several options per step, I believe there are 8 on the RYK but only 4 on the Metropolis. That alone puts me firmly in the RYK camp.
I think both units would be straight forward to figure out and have fun with. It’s more a matter of if you have the time and skill to put the RYK together vs just picking up a Metropolitan at the store in my mind.
How difficult would you rate the build? It looks mostly (if not all?) through hole with fairly well-spaced components, but the store page states that it is a complex module.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, Fusion Mixer v3, Qu-bit Prism, Intellijel uMIDI 1U, Raging Bull 3.0, NE Zularic Repetitor]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

we_squirm
Common Wiggler

Post by we_squirm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:52 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:58 am
Metropolis for the better visual feedback. I wish the RYK panel was a little less cryptic and the A B implementation was a little easier to vibe with.
I totally agree with this.

I have both because I thought the RYK was a new and improved Metropolis. but they're different, and i really appreciate the metropolis these days.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:05 am

versipellis wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm
oilpanic wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:41 pm
How difficult would you rate the build? It looks mostly (if not all?) through hole with fairly well-spaced components, but the store page states that it is a complex module.
I built mine and I'd reckon it took about ~8 hours, wanted to take my time with it especially considering I had to wait for RYK to send me a few bits they forgot to included in my kit.

I've built a lot of kits so I have experience enough to take a project like the M185 but honestly I didn't feel there was much that I found challenging about the build. The build guide is very well done and there aren't many similar looking parts to potentially confuse (the guide does a good job at pointing these pitfalls out).

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm

b.aCattoday wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm
Just to clarify.

On the M185 you do not need to load a firmware to access different parameters.

We released the module this year, and have released two firmware updates to add features.
But once these are installed, you do not need to swap between firmware.
We are actively adding and improving features based on user ideas, hence the updates.

The latest firmware adds a Reset Input option via the MIDI In jack, and also the option to Reset seq A from seq B.
EG: using the “?” Probability gate mode to reset the sequence for some crazy random sequencer retriggers.

For what it’s worth ( my biased opinion, and limited experience of the Metrop ) here are some key differences between the two modules. ( there are probably more . . .

Metropolis plus points:
- CV control over functions
- LED window for menus
- Buttons for slide [ M185 slide is set via cursor ]
- Silver panel !!
- Definitely more stuff, but I haven’t been able to install the latest firmware . . .

M185 plus points:
- 4 more gate modes = more complex rhythmic possibilities
- Step Div is selectable per stage, see above [ Metro is global ]
- Quantise AND non quantise CV outputs
- 2 channels of CV & Gate
- Split sequence mode, for repeat serial or parallel seq [ in parallel Seq B can be used as a CV offset for Seq A, key changes etc ]
- Black panel !!
- 30HP vs 32HP
- MIDI note and clock I/O
- Autosaves settings

In a nutshell:
If you want CV modulation of sequencer parameters, and like silver panels - the Metropolis might be good for you
If you want the ability to create more complex sequences, and like black panels- the M185 might be good for you

But you can make great music from either sequencer, or any other sequencer !

ryk
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

PlateOfShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PlateOfShrimp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Nice summary!

b.aCattoday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by b.aCattoday » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm

[/quote]

Just to clarify.

On the M185 you do not need to load a firmware to access different parameters.

We released the module this year, and have released two firmware updates to add features.
But once these are installed, you do not need to swap between firmware.
We are actively adding and improving features based on user ideas, hence the updates.

The latest firmware adds a Reset Input option via the MIDI In jack, and also the option to Reset seq A from seq B.
EG: using the “?” Probability gate mode to reset the sequence for some crazy random sequencer retriggers.

For what it’s worth ( my biased opinion, and limited experience of the Metrop ) here are some key differences between the two modules. ( there are probably more . . .

Metropolis plus points:
- CV control over functions
- LED window for menus
- Buttons for slide [ M185 slide is set via cursor ]
- Silver panel !!
- Definitely more stuff, but I haven’t been able to install the latest firmware . . .

M185 plus points:
- 4 more gate modes = more complex rhythmic possibilities
- Step Div is selectable per stage, see above [ Metro is global ]
- Quantise AND non quantise CV outputs
- 2 channels of CV & Gate
- Split sequence mode, for repeat serial or parallel seq [ in parallel Seq B can be used as a CV offset for Seq A, key changes etc ]
- Black panel !!
- 30HP vs 32HP
- MIDI note and clock I/O
- Autosaves settings

In a nutshell:
If you want CV modulation of sequencer parameters, and like silver panels - the Metropolis might be good for you
If you want the ability to create more complex sequences, and like black panels- the M185 might be good for you

But you can make great music from either sequencer, or any other sequencer !

ryk
[/quote]
Thank you for clarifying! These are things I’ve just learned, and these functions definitely open up a ton more for RYK users. Thank you for all the hard work you do and I hope that some day I can experience your module first hand!
Cheers,
B.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”