EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi friends,

Old fart punk brother here. Grew up in the late 70's early 80's (hail generation X!) and lived through the "crossover years" when punk and metal merged and grew into some great musical endeavors. Also watched my brothers and sisters across the pond retire their "traditional" instruments and embrace the club scene. Choosing DJ's, dancing and MDMA over feedback, slam pits and heroin - I hold no grudges other than most of my punk friends in the states did not follow suit (even to this very day). Next, in the late 80's early 90's, a most wonderful thing happened again with the next "crossover" being the blending of electronic and traditional instruments (or the approximation of) with a heavier edge than what took place with that same blending in the early 80's. The genre that became loosely known as "Industrial," to me, was the pinnacle of aggressive/subversive music and the perfect evolution of punk/metal/electronica. This "pinnacle" only lasted for a short time IMO. As the home computer and the DAW blew up right at the same moment - many would-be garage musicians were cranking out "industrial" music, with no actual ability (or money) to bring it live. And so a schism developed where endless gabber tracks became a bit of a cliche' and garage industrial bands collapsed under the weight of gear - being too expensive (and technical) to create an engaging live performance. The other part of the schism was that: Industrial music stuck with a "song" format whereas the electronic scene was somewhat content with a 45 minute track that never changed BPM.

And so that left the industrial scene in a weird place. My guess is that some of the most talented musician from the by-gone metal years had not the patience (nor desire) to spend hours recording samples and programing computer music. Those that did made their mark. And no ones been able to touch those innovative giants since - much like the Rock and Roll bands of the late 60's early 70's - a few brilliant and talented people, making heavy and innovative music, releasing it into the wild to the astonishment of the masses!

So where are we now? What has become of it? Is Industrial dead?

I've posted this in the Euro Modules forum on purpose, cause I know I'm not the only old-punk, guitar player that's retired my 6-string for a case full of noise makers and samplers. But more so because I (want to) believe that this type of innovation and musical expression in upon us once again. I don't care if it's "industrial." I don't even clam to know what it is or will be. I'm simply pointing to the vacuum that's been left by an interesting culmination of antagonistic musical styles, that no longer seems to exist. And being a new Eurorack user, see the format as a direct middle finger to the mainstream daw infested music world that we're drowning under. A necessary evil that most of us rightly loath when attempting to be creative. Though I do realize that tedious programming is a necessary component to the realization of a "song" the Euro format seems to be nearing perfection for that type of arrangement.

Feel free to point me in a direction that I may be missing out? I've seen the heavy hitters like Basek and Benders, but feel like they don't come close to actual confrontational/subversive music. I applaud their endeavors and their careers, they are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am.

Side note:
I'm aware of the new (nu-er?) Metal bands called "Djent" (don't even get me started), but this genre feels more like a hyper-daw type of musical expression and less real innovation. My opinion only and I actually like some of it, cause it can be heavy as fuck. Also have to throw in Ghostmane for doing some interesting things with hip hop and his love for the metal edge, kinda like that kid.

I'll leave off with a few of my favorites:
Ministry. Cop Shoot Cop. NIN. Skinny Puppy. KMFDM. (listed in order of most to least liked by me)
Prodigy and Crystal Method get honorable mentions for sure (and arrangement wise could top the above list)

Sorry for the long rant. Opinions and milage may vary.
Cheers, thanks for reading.

I'll leave this below for reference:

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Re: EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:38 pm

(Sorry, I can't help laughing at the slightly po-faced and self-important ramble. Metal AF. Also However, maybe check out Igorrr and Venetian Snares.)

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:38 pm
(Sorry, I can't help laughing at the slightly po-faced and self-important ramble. Metal AF. However, maybe check out Igorrr and Venetian Snares.)
Yeah I like some of Igorr and Venetian Snares.

Clown shoes was too anal-log for me.

Po-face, self important ramble should have been the title. My bad. Sorry you read read it, thanks for the comment. :despair:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Just one fix!!!!!!!!
Uncle 'Al' Jourgensen is god :hail: Thankfully there can only be one god :tu:

On fire, I do not need you anymore
Fire, you cannot hurt me anymore
Fire, give it, give it to me!
KMFDM are from another planet! They don't visit earth enough.

I was all above it, now I'm down in it!
New NIN is oK? But old NIN is gold laced baby dragons tears that taste like licorice :eek:

None of this 'masculine' waving chanting is allowed now. It was banned with the latest millennial regime change.
Of course you know what I say to that!

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:10 pm

I've got a lot of thoughts here. I've listened to mostly metal for most of my life. At some point I burnt out a bit. Then I started looking for music outside of metal. Over time I found music that created metal vibes and intensity without strictly being based on guitar-drums-bass-harsh vocals. When I branched out, I started appreciating metal again with a new sense of freshness.

I now think of a unified concept of "heavy music" that surpasses boundaries of genres, instruments, and era-specific styles. If you want to experience the diversity of heavy music, you can't be too attached to specific cliches or techniques. I don't know where the idea of a DAW as a "necessary evil" or an impediment to creativity comes from (unfamiliarity? Baseless assumptions? Nostalgia?). I often feel most in a creative flow while making heavily DAW-centered music. It's not dissimilar from proggy metal bands that use Guitar Pro to write tracks, or even what classical composers did by putting pen to paper. DAWs are at minimum a powerful supplement to instrumental or synth music-making, and at most a requirement to achieve certain stylistic features.

Give me a little while to collect my thoughts and I think I can bang out a broad summary that could give you some threads to tug on.

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Questions for OP: What eurorack modules do you use to produce your industrial metal? Have you got a few tracks you can link and maybe some patch ideas?

PiecesOfQuiet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PiecesOfQuiet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Not Eurorack, but Author & Punisher might be interesting to you? Dude builds his own instruments, I'd watch some of the live clips if you're interested in that

messiah_ward
Learning to Wiggle

Post by messiah_ward » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm

+1000 on Author and Punisher. If live gigs ever become a thing again, go see him.

So not eurorack, but do you know Youth Code? - should appeal to your punk leanings too:

The biggest "new" band in industrial metal (or whatever you want to call it) is definitely 3teeth. They definitely use some eurorack when recording and they use some on stage on occasion!

I personally somewhat prefer their earlier stuff which was a bit less metal, particularly this one:

Otherwise for less song based, more noisy stuff, Venetian Snares (as someone else said), Prurient:

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:40 pm

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm

I'd go so far as to say music that references second-wave industrial (Wax Trax era) was so present for the last 5-10 years that it's done to death (again).

Most of it is much less "rock band-y" than Ministry/KMFDM/Thrill Kill kind of stuff. The majority of it is definitely intended to be mixed like club music.

Some of my favorites:

Silent Servant
Orphx
Cienfuegos
Paula Temple
Maoupa Mazzochetti
Ascetic House (label)
Opal Tapes
Nation (label)
Broken English Club
Colin Gorman Weiland/DRMWPN
Beau Wanzer (esp his self-published stuff)
Champagne Mirrors
Charles Manier/JTC

There's tons more of this kind of stuff, not all my taste though. It took a bad turn towards "big room techno" a while back and got kind of slick and formulaic, I kind of checked out on this stuff.

Also, it's much less like the above but you would probably dig this band from my area called HOGG. They are one of the few "confrontational bands" that doesnt feel like preening, calculated posturing.

Also digging backwards:
Carlos Peron
CHBB
Grauzone
Hypnoskull
Black Rain (who had a revival but I prefer the 90s stuff)
Last edited by dragulasbruder on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Industrial is not dead at all. It sounds like you've just lost the pulse of the style. While I think you will prefer stuff mentioned above, like Youth Code, Author & Punisher, and 3Teeth, you should also check out:

Pharmakon (also watch some videos of her live performances):

Haus Arafna:

Also, not new, but are you familiar with Chu Ishikawa? His soundtracks for the Tetsuo movie series are, for me, the peak of that song-structured industrial style that you seem to prefer (no vocals though).

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Somebody said Igorrr .... !? :sb: He is (now?) also using modular gear - it starts somewhere in the middle of this madness:

Last edited by tdallas on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm

dragulasbruder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm
I'd go so far as to say music that references second-wave industrial (Wax Trax era) was so present for the last 5-10 years that it's done to death (again).
So true. As a big fan of Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, DAF, etc., I was so on-board initially, but now it's just like, please, please make it stop.

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Like Pharmakon? also on sacred bones records

+1000 on haus arafna
Last edited by neonmercury1 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm

I see someone has already posted Prurient (and the song I was going to post, too!) so here's some Lingua Ignota

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm
please, please make it stop.
*programs two bars of a Testament riff into a sequencer*
KICK SNARE KICK SNARE

should I yell something with delay?
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:02 pm

And maybe this might be interesting? Not metal, but sometimes it has a little ‚industrial‘ touch:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Industrial is not dead at all. It sounds like you've just lost the pulse of the style. While I think you will prefer stuff mentioned above, like Youth Code, Author & Punisher, and 3Teeth, you should also check out:

Pharmakon (also watch some videos of her live performances):

Haus Arafna:

Also, not new, but are you familiar with Chu Ishikawa? His soundtracks for the Tetsuo movie series are, for me, the peak of that song-structured industrial style that you seem to prefer (no vocals though).
In case you didn't notice, this was definitely a cry for help!!! :party:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:11 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
dragulasbruder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm
So true. As a big fan of Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, DAF, etc., I was so on-board initially, but now it's just like, please, please make it stop.
Excellent point. I've spared any mention of my past endeavors for this very reason. :foul:

Maybe I'm just old. Reminiscing. Wanting something that shouldn't even exist anymore. puts on Black Sabbath, picks up bong

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:13 pm

dragulasbruder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:58 pm
Pyrrhix wrote:
please, please make it stop.
*programs two bars of a Testament riff into a sequencer*
KICK SNARE KICK SNARE

should I yell something with delay?
thought eruo case was complete when delay module arrived.... :hmm:

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:24 pm

what about hip hop? clipping comes to mind, they are making many obvious direct references to older industrial. but even a popular artist like kendrick lamar has some pretty insane lyrical content, and the album "Damn" has a very industrial/dark tone to my ears.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:32 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:14 pm
Questions for OP: What eurorack modules do you use to produce your industrial metal? Have you got a few tracks you can link and maybe some patch ideas?
My journey is just starting. I'm a year in next month! My biggest most significant take away has been the tactile sensation of pushing a fader and turning a knob. I originally opted for DAW integration and can go back to that in a few ways but would like to leave it aside for recording only.

The most powerful thing that has changed my composition is probably the Beat Step Pro. I'm still learning that piece of gear as well, but it's not hard to arrange patterns, tracks and even tempo changes (or at least I think it's doable).

Good starting place for me module wise has been NE Loquelic Percidio. IME Hertz Donut. Instruo Cs-L for voices - many things to use with those voices like Batumi, Kermit, Maths and Quadigy. Filters are WASP, Filter8, Belgrad and Bionic Lester. A handfull of mixers, effects, mults and other random shit I just like the sound of. But I couldn't live without the above. Also love bitbox for samples and kickall for that THUMP. You could pry do more with a lot less.... it's a bit overkill but so was my full stack in a little club. So fuck it.

As for tracks.... I've got about 40 tracks of complete noise that is mainly me testing VCO's and other random noise making ventures. I drive around and listen to it by myself... everyone else thinks its horrible.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:36 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:24 pm
what about hip hop? clipping comes to mind, they are making many obvious direct references to older industrial. but even a popular artist like kendrick lamar has some pretty insane lyrical content, and the album "Damn" has a very industrial/dark tone to my ears.
I only mentioned Ghostmane in passing. I'm not much of a hip hop fan really. But I do believe they have had more innovation in the area of electronic music than any other genre in the last few years. Dubstep went the same way as industrial, as someone pointed out - do we need more? Make it stop! Please!!

Since I actually uttered the word DUBSTEP, I'll say this:
Except for BROKEN NOTE. He's a god among children.... :sb:

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:37 pm

You may enjoy my stuff. I grew up listening to all kinds of industrial from first wave to nth wave and it heavily influenced my music and sound design.

I’ve got tons of videos on YouTube and several albums on streaming services and Bandcamp.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”