EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Re: EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Post by m0rb1d » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Incredible band. A lot of it is based around a fantastic metal drummer playing an electronic kit so it has this cool not always locked to a grid feel sometimes. Real genuine energy and madness.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 pm

DSC wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:04 pm

None of this 'masculine' waving chanting is allowed now. It was banned with the latest millennial regime change.
Of course you know what I say to that!
Yo mama so Woke... I told her this mama joke and she said:
"please refer to me as cis gender parental unit... you've offended my fragility"

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:53 pm

PiecesOfQuiet wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Not Eurorack, but Author & Punisher might be interesting to you? Dude builds his own instruments, I'd watch some of the live clips if you're interested in that

Oh fuck, I'm in love!

Getting into these guys a bit. They are Euro folks:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm

m0rb1d wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:41 pm

Incredible band. A lot of it is based around a fantastic metal drummer playing an electronic kit so it has this cool not always locked to a grid feel sometimes. Real genuine energy and madness.
I like it, pushing the envelope.

Here's the reverse kind of thing, Drummer playing to the grid:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:03 pm

dragulasbruder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm
I'd go so far as to say music that references second-wave industrial (Wax Trax era) was so present for the last 5-10 years that it's done to death (again).

Most of it is much less "rock band-y" than Ministry/KMFDM/Thrill Kill kind of stuff. The majority of it is definitely intended to be mixed like club music.

Some of my favorites:

Silent Servant
Orphx
Cienfuegos
Paula Temple
Maoupa Mazzochetti
Ascetic House (label)
Opal Tapes
Nation (label)
Broken English Club
Colin Gorman Weiland/DRMWPN
Beau Wanzer (esp his self-published stuff)
Champagne Mirrors
Charles Manier/JTC

There's tons more of this kind of stuff, not all my taste though. It took a bad turn towards "big room techno" a while back and got kind of slick and formulaic, I kind of checked out on this stuff.

Also, it's much less like the above but you would probably dig this band from my area called HOGG. They are one of the few "confrontational bands" that doesnt feel like preening, calculated posturing.

Also digging backwards:
Carlos Peron
CHBB
Grauzone
Hypnoskull
Black Rain (who had a revival but I prefer the 90s stuff)
That's quite a list. I've got some homework to do..... thanks!

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:14 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:37 pm
You may enjoy my stuff. I grew up listening to all kinds of industrial from first wave to nth wave and it heavily influenced my music and sound design.
I dig it No Legs! Keep bringing the noise!

PiecesOfQuiet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PiecesOfQuiet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm

NoLegs wrote:
You may enjoy my stuff. I grew up listening to all kinds of industrial from first wave to nth wave and it heavily influenced my music and sound design.

I’ve got tons of videos on YouTube and several albums on streaming services and Bandcamp.

Was just deciding which of your tracks to post :sb:

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm

IDK what to say. IDK how it's possible to prefer Ministry over Skinny Puppy, particularly prior to The Process.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:48 pm

lud wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Ha. I am glad I am not the only person who thought of this track instantly seeing the term "metalheads" in a eurorack forum post line...

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm

funeralcake wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm
IDK what to say. IDK how it's possible to prefer Ministry over Skinny Puppy, particularly prior to The Process.
I'm with ya on that one. I really dug Ministry, but I was rather obsessed with Puppy back in the day.

I'm also one of those strange Puppy fans that really enjoyed The Process - had it in regular rotation for quite some time. It had just enough Goettel magic in it, really tight/clear production, and had enough metal in it that I'd listen to it back/forth with Nevermore and the like back in the mid/late 90's. I definitely prefer the older Puppy stuff, but I pretty much dig anything Puppy (and their side projects) put out.

Back to the thread... whoa... haven't run across Igorr before... love it!

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:09 pm

And a quick shout-out to Nostalgic Ruckus...

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:11 pm

I’m an old school metalhead from the 80’s but more along the lines of Celtic Frost, Possessed, Slayer, Dark Angel, Bathory, Venom, Death, Kreator and Exodus. I never dove deep into Industrial though. I’m enjoying all the links posted here. Some cool songs.

jebusrice
Common Wiggler

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm

NoLegs wrote:

I’ve got tons of videos on YouTube and several albums on streaming services and Bandcamp.
I really enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 pm

PiecesOfQuiet wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm
NoLegs wrote:

Was just deciding which of your tracks to post :sb:
Haha, thanks! I picked that one because I was going for a Klute/Leather Strip vibe specifically in it.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:44 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:53 pm
PiecesOfQuiet wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Not Eurorack, but Author & Punisher might be interesting to you? Dude builds his own instruments, I'd watch some of the live clips if you're interested in that

Oh fuck, I'm in love!

Getting into these guys a bit. They are Euro folks:
It's worth noting that A&P doesn't build instruments - he builds midi controllers that control VST's and samplers. Still cool as hell, but I've met some people that thing he's actually generating noise of some kind with the metal contraptions he makes - it's purely for performance.

Also +100 for Snakes of Russia. Really great music and he's a super nice guy. I'd recommend checking the label out that he and I are on, lots of really good DARK music that covers a lot of Industrial territory along with IDM and other things:

https://www.errorgridrec.com

Here's a great review that covers the label's catalog and artists for far:

https://acloserlisten.com/2020/10/02/er ... nt-future/

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:47 pm

messiah_ward wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:34 pm
So not eurorack, but do you know Youth Code? - should appeal to your punk leanings too:

Worth noting that Youth Code uses a ton of eurorack these days. I'm really looking forward to the next album.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:48 pm

Why is everybody talking about metal like it is a thing of the past? There has never been a better time for metal than right now (subjective, I know). If OP is looking for something heavy, there is a good amount of contemporary metal that is a lot heavier than the excellent and interesting music that has been posted in this thread. I suppose it all depends what you mean by heavy though, to me, Alice Coltrane is "heavy". Anyway, I just wanted to say - Metal is not dead :sb:

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:48 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:11 pm
I’m an old school metalhead from the 80’s but more along the lines of Celtic Frost, Possessed, Slayer, Dark Angel, Bathory, Venom, Death, Kreator and Exodus. I never dove deep into Industrial though. I’m enjoying all the links posted here. Some cool songs.
Hmm, may need to rename this thread with "Industrial" and start a new Metalheads thread. As much as I got into Puppy, Ministry, others... 80% of my listening back in the day was all the bands Gringo listed... throw in Coroner, Overkill, Sodom, Vio-lence, etc.

As far as newer, straight-forward metal, Gojira is the only band I really dig as much as the metal bands of the 80's/90's. Yes, I'm getting old when I consider a band that's been around for 19 years as newer. :hihi:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm

Don't see much metal here but more Industrial? Not too current on these nu bands. Raised on the old SPK, Rhythm & Noise, Survival Research, Laughing Hands, Die Form, Throbbing Gristle school of Industrial (also love Fetish 69 from 90's). Velvet Acid Christ can be pretty good sometimes if you ignore him as a person. He switches gear more often than DJT eats cheeseburgers, but I think he has had the Euro disease.

I recommend Hexinverter Jupiter Storm, Erica Black Digital Noise, EMW Noisestation, a bunch of VCA's, a quad envelope, a few LFO's, some Env Follower/Preamps and some drum pads. I like to roll my own industrial percussion.

BTW do you know about the Cold Spring label? I ordered a Psychic TV cd and they sent me some free sampler cd's and every band was pretty damn good. You should check them out if you haven't already.

I like the clown mask bands but prefer the debate fly wig:

https://www.3wishes.com/Debate-Fly-Wig
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 pm

great thread. For some ministry at their most metal type stuff there's Uniform, newer stuff has a live drummer.

skinny puppy-ish maybe?

Don't really know much about this band but the bio mentions ministry and godflesh as influences, which seems apt.
https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/hallucination-scene

speaking of godflesh, that dude is still kicking

Interested to hear some youth code with eurorack.

Grumpypanda69
Common Wiggler

Post by Grumpypanda69 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Old metal head here... I actually was a promoter in the 99's. Mostly worked with Scandinavian black metal bands. Sold the business in the early 2000's as it wasn't making as much cash.

Been using euro for about a decade now, Erica Synths have been my standard. My current system is the first Fusion Drone System, Techno System and a 104 skiff with just the Graphic VCO running through the dual filter & stereo delay... using NLC Triple Sloths & a few other LFOs to modulate stuff.

Keyboard wise I have a Moog Matriarch, Sequential Pro 3. End of head am adding a Waldorf Iridium and maybe the "new" Prophet 5.

Modular rubs in to one of my Tascam Model 12s, keyboards in to the other one. It somehow works for me.

All my music is kept private for now, I have a few clients who is it in advertising and I some producers who pay me for loops and samples. It's a hobby.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 pm

minatorymodular wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:10 pm
I've got a lot of thoughts here. I've listened to mostly metal for most of my life. At some point I burnt out a bit. Then I started looking for music outside of metal. Over time I found music that created metal vibes and intensity without strictly being based on guitar-drums-bass-harsh vocals. When I branched out, I started appreciating metal again with a new sense of freshness.

I now think of a unified concept of "heavy music" that surpasses boundaries of genres, instruments, and era-specific styles. If you want to experience the diversity of heavy music, you can't be too attached to specific cliches or techniques. I don't know where the idea of a DAW as a "necessary evil" or an impediment to creativity comes from (unfamiliarity? Baseless assumptions? Nostalgia?). I often feel most in a creative flow while making heavily DAW-centered music. It's not dissimilar from proggy metal bands that use Guitar Pro to write tracks, or even what classical composers did by putting pen to paper. DAWs are at minimum a powerful supplement to instrumental or synth music-making, and at most a requirement to achieve certain stylistic features.

Give me a little while to collect my thoughts and I think I can bang out a broad summary that could give you some threads to tug on.
All this is great. Yes, apologize for the cheap shot DAW comment, it was childish... it's probably the greatest contribution to music creation in the history of mankind. Just really digging not having touched mine other than to hit "record" in about a year.

And for the record, I do like some of that new proggy metal stuff. Bands I can't name and Animals as Leaders come to mind. A lot of what is mentioned above is harkening back to the past (not all) and I was thinking more "cutting edge" but there's a lot under this topic that I'll be checking out.

As for the old masters, I've often dreamed of a conductor leading a FULL METAL ORCHESTRA, something like Hans ZImmer meet Slayer or Napalm Death.

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Are we talking about metal or industrial? I was into industrial when it broke out in the early 90s but the only thing industrial in recent years that caught my interest is Youth Code:

Also dig some of stuff like The Body but not sure that is industrial in the classic sense.

As far as metal goes. The last decade or two have been a great IMO.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:11 am

neumedi wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:48 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:11 pm
Hmm, may need to rename this thread with "Industrial" and start a new Metalheads thread. As much as I got into Puppy, Ministry, others... 80% of my listening back in the day was all the bands Gringo listed... throw in Coroner, Overkill, Sodom, Vio-lence, etc.

As far as newer, straight-forward metal, Gojira is the only band I really dig as much as the metal bands of the 80's/90's. Yes, I'm getting old when I consider a band that's been around for 19 years as newer. :hihi:
I thought about naming the thread "industrial" but then I wouldn't cast as wide a net. Can't think of many "metal bands" that actually used a ton of synths. And as someone pointed out, i'm talking more about the "2nd wave" (when the term industrial actually arrived) and I still claim it as the "peak" of musical evolution, where electro meets the grind. I guess also when I say "metal" I'm talking about speed, death and doom... I think most of us old bastards get it, obviously the clown shoe kid was too woke to actually participate.

Gotta throw The Sword in there for badass "newer" metal bands that are 17 years new :doh: .. first two albums are right up there with Celtic Frost, Hellbastard and Amebix (yeah I can go crusty too).

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:21 am

Ceres wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 pm
Are we talking about metal or industrial? I was into industrial when it broke out in the early 90s but the only thing industrial in recent years that caught

Also dig some of stuff like The Body but not sure that is industrial in the classic sense.

As far as metal goes. The last decade or two have been a great IMO.
I'm talking about Euro merging with Metal. And, the last show I actually got to see was The Body and Uniform combo band. My young friend called it "post hardcore." I'm old and don't have the correct terminology. It used to piss me off, "djent" and "nuMetal" and "post industrial screamo something" now I try to remain teachable.

I simply ask in my annoying old man voice - is it heavy as fuck?

The Body and Uniform show was one of the best I've seen since the Melvins came to town. Half of Crystal Method played in a tiny club in town last year and that was a damn fine evening as well. :party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”