EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Re: EURORACK METALHEADS! Long Rant Warning.

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:31 am

Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:24 pm
Old metal head here... I actually was a promoter in the 99's. Mostly worked with Scandinavian black metal bands. Sold the business in the early 2000's as it wasn't making as much cash.

Been using euro for about a decade now, Erica Synths have been my standard. My current system is the first Fusion Drone System, Techno System and a 104 skiff with just the Graphic VCO running through the dual filter & stereo delay... using NLC Triple Sloths & a few other LFOs to modulate stuff.

Keyboard wise I have a Moog Matriarch, Sequential Pro 3. End of head am adding a Waldorf Iridium and maybe the "new" Prophet 5.

Modular rubs in to one of my Tascam Model 12s, keyboards in to the other one. It somehow works for me.

All my music is kept private for now, I have a few clients who is it in advertising and I some producers who pay me for loops and samples. It's a hobby.
No one mentioned Candlemass.... Epicus Doomicus Metalicus..... I know it's not Black Metal, but everyone that likes metal must listen to that on repeat for one year minimum.

Sounds like a cool set up! Did I mention that Eurorack is the first synth I ever bought? One day I'll get a poly-synth that will play nice with a computer, that Iridium is really really tempting....... :hmm:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:35 am

Since I'm guilty of purposely mis-titling the thread, I'll put this right here for the real metal heads:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 am

funeralcake wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm
IDK what to say. IDK how it's possible to prefer Ministry over Skinny Puppy, particularly prior to The Process.
Cause In case you didn't feel like showing up
Cause Paul Barker and Malekko

Cause I saw them both live and Ministry blew my brains out. :slapfight:

SynapseCollapse
Common Wiggler

Post by SynapseCollapse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:48 am

GregIcky wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:53 pm
PiecesOfQuiet wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Not Eurorack, but Author & Punisher might be interesting to you? Dude builds his own instruments, I'd watch some of the live clips if you're interested in that

Oh fuck, I'm in love!

Getting into these guys a bit. They are Euro folks:
That’s funny. I went to a A&P show in 2014 or so, went to talk to Tristan about gear after the show, he looked at me and my friend, said “I don’t do eurorack bullshit” and left.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 am

GregIcky wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:11 am

Gotta throw The Sword in there for badass "newer" metal bands that are 17 years new :doh: .. first two albums are right up there with Celtic Frost, Hellbastard and Amebix (yeah I can go crusty too).
This is officially off topic, but i have been a fan of Clutch since the mid 90s, and there was a stretch a few years ago when The Sword opened for them on several tours, so I wound up seeing The Sword three or four times. The last time, I found myself singing along to one of their songs and i thought, Oh shit. I guess I’m a fan of The Sword now. I had no idea.

messiah_ward
Learning to Wiggle

Post by messiah_ward » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:43 am

Yes Powder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm
I see someone has already posted Prurient (and the song I was going to post, too!) so here's some Lingua Ignota
It's funny because I wrote that post quickly, then hopped in the shower and thought "shit, why didn't I put Lingua Ignota on there?"

For actual, filthy, filthy metal that uses eurorack (and a whole bunch of other electronic stuff) Sloth Hammer from Leeds are great. Saw them last year and they were great. Their electronics dude had a rack full of X1L3 stuff and home made shakers with contact mics in them.

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lyesmel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:04 am

Some awesome stuff in here !

Much more metal than industrial, but Bliss Signal is really worth checking out.

Collab between Mumdance (already a big champion of eurorack and he designed Busy Circuits MUM M8) and James Kelly who had a great band called Altar of Plagues.

Its like a mix of gabber, black metal, shoegaze, ravey euphoria and theres loads of modular stuff throughout.
Definitely approached things in a pretty interesting way that I've not heard before in metal !
Last edited by lyesmel on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:52 am

messiah_ward wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:43 am
For actual, filthy, filthy metal that uses eurorack (and a whole bunch of other electronic stuff) Sloth Hammer from Leeds are great. Saw them last year and they were great. Their electronics dude had a rack full of X1L3 stuff and home made shakers with contact mics in them.
Well now, I think we've established that my wrinkly old finger is far from being "on the pulse"

This is why I made this thread. That is why I called on Metal Heads. Now I get to spend my Sunday clicking links and worshiping the devil. :sb:

I'm liking a lot of this stuff and would love to smash my face into a wall while Sloth Hammer plays. If Britain every lets us yanks back in to visit, I'll be heading to Leads!

Things keep reminding me of other things... This band doesn't use Eurorack but are one of the better doom/grindcore bands on the west coast. From Oakland, CA.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:41 pm

not necessarily euro related, but have you checked out Sissy Spacek, or anything John Wiese works on? Really great stuff. Also, the vocalist from Youth Code played with Sissy Spacek for a while...

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:55 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:35 am
Since I'm guilty of purposely mis-titling the thread, I'll put this right here for the real metal heads:

You've successfully redeemed yourself. :chug:

Funny enough, I was super-close to adding Candlemass to my list above, but left off as they didn't quite fit in with the faster thrash/death stuff that was listed. I'm sure many of us could start listing off branches of all the different types of metal we love... hmmm... may be a good idea to keep this thread going once it slows down. :hihi:

Back to Candlemass, I used to have Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation, and Live (1990) on daily repeat. I remember seeing an interview of theirs... prob on Headbanger's Ball... some translation issues and then a confused guitarist saying "My dick smells good?!". My buddy and I laughed about for days.

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:53 pm

Another vote for the Body. What a fucking band - consistently crushing and innovative; difficult to categorize. Author & Punisher, too. His machines may not produce the sounds, but his performances have to be seen to be believed. Intense as fuck.

REZN is an awesome, doomy, psychedelic band that utilizes eurorack live. They’re not even vaguely industrial sounding, but they’re great and trippy.

Code Orange is an EXTREMELY aggro hardcore band that uses eurorack gear for all kinds of noisy, glitchy stuff.

Cloud Rat is a fantastic grind band that uses modular stuff, to some degree. Their Do Not Let Me Off the Cliff EP is way outside of their typical style, but is really cool for fans of droning, heavy, electronic stuff.

Wreck and Reference isn’t metal, per se, but it is heavy, unique, dark, and beautiful. Just vocals, samples, and drums.

Last edited by skreetis on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:04 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:37 pm
You may enjoy my stuff. I grew up listening to all kinds of industrial from first wave to nth wave and it heavily influenced my music and sound design.

I’ve got tons of videos on YouTube and several albums on streaming services and Bandcamp.

Fantastic stuff!

:tu:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Surachai!!!!!!!!!!!!! check him out

Atrociter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atrociter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:23 pm

@gregIcky, Personally I have always hated the majority of metal/industrial hybrids, IMO Metal should be metal, Industrial should be Industrial. But If you do want subversive, you have to look past what has been a gentrification of the underground and with it, political correctness. No idea what equipment these examples use but there must be some knob wiggling somewhere amongst it.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm
I see someone has already posted Prurient (and the song I was going to post, too!) so here's some Lingua Ignota
also sightless pit

= “members” of : lingua ignota + the body + full of hell
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:44 pm

YOUTH CODE, HOLY FUCK!!!

I’ve obviously been asleep at the wheel.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Listen to Geronimo

Listen to Emptyset
THUMPR BC SC

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 pm

This is one of the most useful and fresh threads on here in months.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:56 pm

You might enjoy digging up Fluid and Meat by Heavy Water Factory. The main guy ended up moving into the slick overproduced type industrial shortly after that release but that particular album really embodies the romanticism that drew me to bands like Skinny Puppy, NIN, etc.

I never really found a fount of music in that vein to keep me interested so Aphex Twin, Autechre, Portishead and DJ Shadow were a logical next step.

These days post punk and new wave stuff like early Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Church, Bauhaus have a vibe that I think has aged well and I think that thread will and does get picked up from time to time.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lyesmel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:03 am

Atrociter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:23 pm
@gregIcky, Personally I have always hated the majority of metal/industrial hybrids, IMO Metal should be metal, Industrial should be Industrial. But If you do want subversive, you have to look past what has been a gentrification of the underground and with it, political correctness. No idea what equipment these examples use but there must be some knob wiggling somewhere amongst it.

my god man, all of these tracks are fucking great!

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am

funeralcake wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm
IDK what to say. IDK how it's possible to prefer Ministry over Skinny Puppy, particularly prior to The Process.
Just listened to some stuff prior to The Process. I think you've convinced me. When I saw them live it was the Rabbies era. That older shit fucking destroys!

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am

Atrociter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Yes, this "gentrification" is a huge catch 22 for me. I grew up listening to things like Discharge and a million other no-budget DIY bands that started their own labels. A ton of AMAZING punk bands with shite recording and no money for enough studio time. When Metal (read speed metal) finally hit the "main stream" like Slayer getting on Def Jam, the quality of the recordings got incrementally better. The reason this is a big deal FOR ME, is because I have some kind of major damage to my auditor nerve. I wear hearing aids and they only help some.... Some of my favorite old punk bands are almost completely unlistenable to me now... and if fucking sucks. So I appreciate great production, not always easily obtained from DIY bands of yore, nor soundcloud and youtube at present.

Also I'm trying to be open minded to the newer generation, they categorize things in a way that make my skin crawl "Post Hardcore" and other like terms (when I want to just say "they're punk as fuck") are all just approximations taking a swing at something that language lacks - the ability to define music. Even the term "punk" has bits of fashion and politics embedded in it, at least TO ME, and it's why I hate "pop punk" bands that the mainstream decided to finally embrace so many years after the giants were pasts their prime. Thank Nirvana for that. (I do love them, but that's another argument altogether).

I mean, what's Metal anyway? Poison, Quite Riot or Deicide?
Who's more punk Discharge or the Dickies?

More ranting.... just the observations of an old opinionated heavy-music-making eurorack wanna be. :goo:

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:17 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Die Form
Die Form is amazing. They don't get even half as much credit as they deserve compared to bands like Puppy.

^ If slow, passionate BDSM fucking had a sound, this would probably be it.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:26 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Die Form is amazing. They don't get even half as much credit as they deserve compared to bands like Puppy.
I totally agree. If you haven't already, check out their earlier, weirder stuff from before Eliane P. joined the band.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:48 pm
Why is everybody talking about metal like it is a thing of the past? There has never been a better time for metal than right now (subjective, I know). If OP is looking for something heavy, there is a good amount of contemporary metal that is a lot heavier than the excellent and interesting music that has been posted in this thread. I suppose it all depends what you mean by heavy though, to me, Alice Coltrane is "heavy". Anyway, I just wanted to say - Metal is not dead :sb:
I wan't really trying to say that Metal is dead, and I hope to satan that it never dies.

I'm interested in the use of Eurorack as a heavy-subversive, fuck you, in your face, dark, evil, sold-my-soul for a complex oscillator roll, type of vibe. Using English as an approximation of musical styles is why I started with the long rant. It was a calculated mis-threading to cast a wide net around music that might speak to me....

Pure "industrial" music, one could argue is a field recording in a machine shop..... somewhat like my LIP recordings that some on here might actually like. :yay:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”