Alternatives to Rings in 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Alternatives to Rings in 2020

Post by r05c03 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:30 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm
AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:29 pm
Pianos have been popular instruments for centuries but people still use them to make music. No one cares if your Rings sounds like the other rings just like no one cares if your piano sounds like a piano.
This doesn't add much to the conversation. Of course unique /= good and common /= bad. I didn't say I cared about what other people though, I said what I cared about. People have been using the same instruments for centuries and people have been learning about and exploring new possibilities since time immemorial.

I'm learning a lot from other peoples suggestions and I enjoy exploring the variety of modules available in eurorack. Just thinking about my options before I decide on Rings :).

Wow. You literally said you were concerned about “sounding like others” and solicited input and opinions. One opinion is “don’t worry about it”. What a rude response to something you literally asked for.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:05 am

aber wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 am
Zymos wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Worth mentioning that Rings has 7 different modes, and that’s without even using the audio input.
7 modes? I thought there were 3 different modes and 3 polyphony possibilities. What are those 7 different modes?
Each of the 3 modes has an alternate if you long press the button, plus the Easter Egg mode.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 am

the easter egg adds another 3 modes, each with an alternative - so that makes 12!!

there are 4 polyphony settings - green, orange, red and flashing - flashing is not available in vcvrack (or at least not the last time I looked) - accessed by long press when in red
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:33 am

r05c03 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:30 am
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm
AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Pianos have been popular instruments for centuries but people still use them to make music. No one cares if your Rings sounds like the other rings just like no one cares if your piano sounds like a piano.
This doesn't add much to the conversation. Of course unique /= good and common /= bad. I didn't say I cared about what other people though, I said what I cared about. People have been using the same instruments for centuries and people have been learning about and exploring new possibilities since time immemorial.

I'm learning a lot from other peoples suggestions and I enjoy exploring the variety of modules available in eurorack. Just thinking about my options before I decide on Rings :).

Wow. You literally said you were concerned about “sounding like others” and solicited input and opinions. One opinion is “don’t worry about it”. What a rude response to something you literally asked for.
Didn't mean for it to come off so rude, but re-reading it it does sound that way. Sorry you all, I love this forum and don't want to contribute any negativity. I appreciate ALL input :hail: !

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:00 am

Clouds Parasite and the Superparasite firmware that comes with many of the Clouds derivatives has a Resonator mode. Just mentioning that. I don't use resonators much (sold my Rings), so I'm not the one to compare the Parasites resonator with Rings.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:21 am

djd_oz wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 am
This is a good resource for rings alternative modes and tips,

https://www.infinitesimal.eu/modules/in ... ents_Rings
This is a great resource, thanks a lot, I never would have found it otherwise!

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:26 pm
I would love to eventually get hold of a Mungo d0 after listening to these excellent examples from member Uzala
Daaaamn this is amazing. How come ???
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, 1BIT Multitap Delay, five 12 vector, dplr

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:42 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 am
So I am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on Rings, but am also concerned a little bit about sounding similar to all the other ambient music out there because it is such a popular module with a unique sound. So I am wondering if there are any good alternatives around yet, I am surprised that rings has dominated this space for 5 years. Any other resonators that you can feed external signals too? Any other good physical modeling modules? I would even be interested in modules that can do karplus strong synthesis, especially if it is analog with a short bbd etc. :help:

Thanks!
There's the Make Noise Mysteron which is an interesting module, I have one of those and a Rings. The Mysteron is definately a different beast.

But I wouldn't discount Rings just because it's popular, the thing about Karplus Strong is you can feed in all kinds of external sounds that will change the character of the results, so you may be surprised as to how versatile it is.
--

Sync

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm

[/quote]

Daaaamn this is amazing. How come ???
[/quote]

I have a CG Products Delay 1022 which I absolutely love for Karplus but it doesn't have the massive range of the d0. I don't think the d0 is that hands on & would take a lot of effort to get these results but well worth the effort as it sounds stunning. I've read it's a bit picky with power supplies & sensitive to static so I think buying a used one might be a bit traumatic. Good supply with protection, invest in new & a lifetime of discovery. :party:

I also have a micro Rings which is nice, not as organic as the 1022 so I tend to use it for other things besides the obvious plucked stuff.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Try out Rings in VCV Rack if you want to play around with it yourself for free--it sounds the same there as the actual module and I run audio from my physical modular or other synths into it sometimes.

You can patch up similar sounding resonators using the d0, a collection of bandpass filters (either a fixed filterbank or something like Qu-bit Tone or 3 Sisters), and VCA's or limiters to control your feedback. It's a lot of fun to explore, and can go into some cool places that Rings won't, but it's also tedious since you'll constantly be having to balance things just right so they resonate without erupting into uncontrolled feedback. Rings irons out all those issues for you automatically so it's much quicker to get musical results. I like both.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 pm

mrbloor wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm

I have a CG Products Delay 1022 which I absolutely love for Karplus but it doesn't have the massive range of the d0. I don't think the d0 is that hands on & would take a lot of effort to get these results but well worth the effort as it sounds stunning. I've read it's a bit picky with power supplies & sensitive to static so I think buying a used one might be a bit traumatic. Good supply with protection, invest in new & a lifetime of discovery. :party:
It's a pretty wild sounding delay.
The demos you linked are too great honestly ..
What is the delay chip inside ?
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, 1BIT Multitap Delay, five 12 vector, dplr

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm

drowld wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 pm
mrbloor wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm

It's a pretty wild sounding delay.
The demos you linked are too great honestly ..
What is the delay chip inside ?
It's FPGA based. And a total gem. It has absurd range and way more uses than the simple front panel would have you think, especially when you consider that it's DC coupled so it can delay any CV you throw into it.

EDIT: Also, it's really quite hands on and intuitive once you get used to the zoom control, and that doesn't take long to do. Unless I'm working with creating super fragile feedback stuff, it never takes longer than a few seconds to dial in the behavior I'm after.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 am

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:29 pm

It's FPGA based. And a total gem. It has absurd range and way more uses than the simple front panel would have you think, especially when you consider that it's DC coupled so it can delay any CV you throw into it.

EDIT: Also, it's really quite hands on and intuitive once you get used to the zoom control, and that doesn't take long to do. Unless I'm working with creating super fragile feedback stuff, it never takes longer than a few seconds to dial in the behavior I'm after.
Thanks for that, it's good to hear.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:02 am

My first thought was the 2hp modules Pluck and Bell. Maybe too similar?
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:32 am

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:09 pm
It's a lot of fun to explore, and can go into some cool places that Rings won't, but it's also tedious since you'll constantly be having to balance things just right so they resonate without erupting into uncontrolled feedback. Rings irons out all those issues for you automatically so it's much quicker to get musical results. I like both.
This is good to hear. I'm thinking I may start off with rings now and then save some money next year for a Mungo d0 or CG Products Delay 1022 and a FFB and maybe some more VCAs. I am excited to go the second route, but I think it is going to cost 3x as much, so I don't know.... Anyone have both the d0 and the 1022 and have anything more to say comparing the two?

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:23 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 am
Thanks so much everyone, this has been VERY helpful to figure out where things stand at the moment. I think I could go one direction and get Rings or go another and try a delay like the Doepfer mentioned above or something like the CG Products 1022 Delay of Mungo D0. Any other delays similar to these? I have also heard that the mimeophon can get into Karplus-Strong territory? Then there are also other interesting modules like the Random Source Resonant Equilizer, but it seems like it would take quite a bit of work and patching to get the sound where I want it...
Well I have them all the cg products and the d0. But I once started as well with Rings. Rings can do a lot and has the instant gratification effect. But I didn't liked how it interacted with some other gear and tube distorsions in my case. But thats me, nothing wrong with the module. The modules you have mentioned are very rewarding once you master them, but it will take some time and they are certainly not as versatile like rings.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 am

Consider the c1 instead of the d0 if you are wanting a more compact resonator/PM setup.

d0 is more "modular" since it is just two incredibly flexible delay lines, but you will be engaging a lot of filters, VCAs, EQs, compressors, etc. in your quest for sick feedback. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I have a skiff dedicated to it!

c1 can be loaded with impulse responses, either as a shortcut to patching your own resonators or as an element in a larger PM patch (e.g. it excels as an instrument body EQ). OR it is a single delay line in the bitbucket emulation mode, which is on-par with d0 in terms of flexibility AND has additional controls for sample rate manipulation.

I have not compared the shortest delay times between c1 and d0, nor their resolutions. John is very responsive to email inquiries, though, if you need more technical details.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:28 pm

desolationjones wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 am

d0 is more "modular" since it is just two incredibly flexible delay lines, but you will be engaging a lot of filters, VCAs, EQs, compressors, etc. in your quest for sick feedback. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I have a skiff dedicated to it!

show it!

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm

IMG_20200917_211602.jpg

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Need demos

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm

AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Without detracting from Rings as a versatile instrument, I would say this is not a good comparison for two reasons:
1. pianos have a lot of variation from instrument to instrument,
2. instruments can have a neutral sound that allows the way you play it to take center stage.
I would say it is too soon to tell whether the Rings sound will endure, or whether it will be the DX7 electronic piano of the 2010s.

I think the second reason is really important. I can listen to a cello all day, but I have a rather short window of tolerance for a bagpipe. The timbre of the bagpipe is very present, and overwhelms the nuances of the piece being played. I think pianos and guitars are popular exactly because they are canvasses for a wide range of musicical styles without "getting in the way". To me it also explains the enduring popularity of the square and saw wave through a filter.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:23 pm

BTW the ResEQ does not have CV inputs and will not do what you are describing.

It DOES sound amazing as a resonant eq and will fundamentally change any sound you feed it. I love mine. But don't get it expecting that you can ping it in the same way you can a BBD for karplus.

If you are considering the CG delay you might as well consider the Doepfer BBDs.

Mimeophon and Surface are the 2 most recent alternatives for Rings. I love my Rings, but no longer use it without noise or other audio patched into it.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 pm

pieter wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm
AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Without detracting from Rings as a versatile instrument, I would say this is not a good comparison for two reasons:
1. pianos have a lot of variation from instrument to instrument,
2 patches on Rings can sound WAY different than any 2 pianos.
Pianos can vary from instrument to instrument, but Rings can be completely different instruments.
Last edited by Zymos on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

ultar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ultar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:18 pm

My advice: buy Rings. A full size model, not a clone with tiny trimmers as knobs. Small turns can have a huge influence on sound and function so the larger knobs are crucial. Yes it does the pretty ambient string thing but it is wayyyy more versatile and dense. As some others have already mentioned it is awesome for processing audio signals and it is a drone monster when fed back into itself. A personal favorite move is patching noise into the strum input to initiate a drone. Sometimes I use it just as a weird reverb.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:42 pm

ultar wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:18 pm
My advice: buy Rings. A full size model, not a clone with tiny trimmers as knobs. Small turns can have a huge influence on sound and function so the larger knobs are crucial. Yes it does the pretty ambient string thing but it is wayyyy more versatile and dense. As some others have already mentioned it is awesome for processing audio signals and it is a drone monster when fed back into itself. A personal favorite move is patching noise into the strum input to initiate a drone. Sometimes I use it just as a weird reverb.
This is very solid advice. I resisted getting rings for my first year and a half into modular but after finding demo's of it not being used in the typical plucked strings / into clouds way I added it to my system and it's pretty much found a permanent place in my filter section. That's the key though, treat it like an oscillator and and it will give you the instantly recognizable rings sound. Treat it like a filter and feed it's inputs anything and everything and listen to it come alive.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”