Best discontinued modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best discontinued modules

Post by closedLoop » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 pm

andybizarre wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:41 am
Sport Modulator, Triple Wave Folder, ... basically everything Toppo
Intellijel µMod
Pittsburgh Timerunner
Detroit Underground DuSeq
Completely agree about Toppo - the Triple Wave Folder especially. Is he no longer in Eurorack? I'd love a v2 TWF that was a bit more compact.
I slept on the Sport Modulator, and I'm always on the lookout for it on Reverb.

I was told Muton was discontinued. I don't know what I'd do without Muton.

I still have Quadra racked next to Quadrax. While I really like Quadrax, the way Quadra hits a LPG, and open VCAs is outside the immediate possibilities of Quadrax.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Copper Traces Seek has been discontinued but is a great little sequencer with some fantastic evolving capabilities that I haven’t seen on any other sequencer.
FS: Motomouth Filter $200 and lots more

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:13 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Maleko Gargoyles modules: Anti, Uncle and the white and black knobbed LPG's .... seriously have their own character!

cinnatoastg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cinnatoastg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:21 am

maudibe wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:13 am
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Maleko Gargoyles modules: Anti, Uncle and the white and black knobbed LPG's .... seriously have their own character!
I've been watching reverb like a madman looking for some of these lol. They do not come up often.

yhf
Common Wiggler

Post by yhf » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 am

wiresandstraps wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm
Cmon, grandpa. Tell me about the good old days. ;)
GRANDPA

*turns head*

Modules? Did you just say 'modules'? MODULES? Let me tell you something, boy, when I was your age, we didn't have any modules. Oh, no! If we wanted modules, we had to build our own. That's right, we had to build modules out of things we found in the street. Leaves, rusty nails, the neighbour's cat, you name it. I once played an entire show with a newspaper and a leather shoe, believe you me! Oh, but the youth of today, they don't even know how to make an acid bassline out of a bar of soap and a hair pin...

*keeps rambling for the rest of his life, which might be up to 32 minutes*

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 am

Make Noise Wiard Wogglebug, Toppobrillo stuff

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 am

LZX Visionary series.

:mygod:

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:12 am

The square wave parade teaspoon
all the macro machines stuff
Most circuit abbey stuff esp Invy
Original endorphins Grand Terminal with vactrols and shitty delay
Rabid elephant natural gate
Mannequins RIP
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 am
Small, beautiful and discontinued, but still available: grab yourselves an NE Sinc Iter while stocks last.
Yes, Sync Iter by NE is a great little oscillator/LFO.
It has some wild waveforms for LFO duties and goes down to minutes per cycle.
But it is a gritty (or smooth) VCO just like most Noise Engineering sound sources.
It morphs between waveforms and has this great, nasty v/oct noise. (actually Perlin noise)
And an OK quantizer. (is it quantiser or quantizer?)
I read that it was discontinued because it cost more to produce than its list price.
I just found a paper on Perlin Noise by "Artem POPOV, Gorno-Altaysk, The Russian Federation"

EDIT: added note about Perlin Noise
Last edited by Foghorn on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :doh:
.......Not really a musician.......

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:48 am

Bath House wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:12 am
The square wave parade teaspoon
all the macro machines stuff
Most circuit abbey stuff esp Invy
Original endorphins Grand Terminal with vactrols and shitty delay
Rabid elephant natural gate
Mannequins RIP
LOL! That Natural Gate sure seems like it's discontinued...

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 am

Foghorn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 am
Small, beautiful and discontinued, but still available: grab yourselves an NE Sinc Iter while stocks last.
Yes, Sync Iter by NE is a great little oscillator/LFO.
It has some wild waveforms for LFO duties and goes down to minutes per cycle.
But it is a gritty (or smooth) VCO just like most Noise Engineering sound sources.
It morphs between waveforms and has this great, nasty v/oct noise.
And an OK quantizer. (is it quantiser or quantizer?)
I read that it was discontinued because it cost more to produce than its list price.
That's my understanding - it was the production costs that killed it :sad:

It also has both uni and bipolar outputs.

AND IT'S STILL AVAILABLE - for now, at least. It really is The Little Module That Can and seems to wind up doing "something, somewhere" in almost every patch. ANYONE putting together their first small system should grab one NOW. It may be discontinued, but it's far from being obsolete.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 am

+1 for the Doepfer vocoder series. And Erthenvar: I got one of their odd Fibonacci dividers; never got to their Prime one (just for fun). Never got their Chord tone divider; that looked cool.

knifey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by knifey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:16 pm
I have a bit of an obsession with disco'd modules and currently have in my setup -

RxMx/FxDf/Control File (attached to dpo)
Mysteron
Clouds
Erica Synths Swamp
OG MN Wogglebug
Phonogene
MMG
Frequensteiner (sorta available again I guess)
Piston Honda Mk1
Erica Pico T-G (This thing is so dope if you can find one)
NE Sinclastic Empulatrix
Dreadbox Splash

I can vouch for each and every one of these being amazing in their own special way.
Me too, re: obsession with disco'd (and fairly old) modules. My list:
Pittsburgh Timetable
Hertz Donut mk1
µMod mk1
Peaks
Modcan CV Recorder
Deflector Shield
and a super old wobbly ADDAC 101 wav player

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 am

Gonna keep my Sync Iter and Sport Modulator for sure.

One not mentioned yet is SSF Mixmode. I liked it so much I bought a second one.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 am

plan b elf lfo
intellijel mutagen
make noise qmmg
TOO FAR GONE

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:38 am

hippo1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 am
+1 for the Doepfer vocoder series. And Erthenvar: I got one of their odd Fibonacci dividers; never got to their Prime one (just for fun). Never got their Chord tone divider; that looked cool.
Ethenvar Patch Chord is a great module. Big, but definitely fun and something that will never leave my case!!!
FS: Motomouth Filter $200 and lots more

Scott
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am

This is one of those things that perplexes me, whether modular or microphone. Especially the latter. Neumann microphone created one decades ago that everyone wanted. They sold lots of them despite the price. And they discontinued it. Now even more people want that mic and the only way to get it is through the rare used market OR you have to buy its modern replacement which is not quite the same.

I'm sure there were reasons behind the decision to discontinue, but one wonders. Why kill the Golden Calf? I guess that's why I'm a musician and music teacher and not a CEO

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 am

Scott wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am
This is one of those things that perplexes me, whether modular or microphone. Especially the latter. Neumann microphone created one decades ago that everyone wanted. They sold lots of them despite the price. And they discontinued it. Now even more people want that mic and the only way to get it is through the rare used market OR you have to buy its modern replacement which is not quite the same.
There can be a bunch of reasons, but some that occur to me:

* Some of the inputs got discontinued by other parties. For example, Doepfer's original A-111-1 "High End VCO." It used a CEM chip that stopped being available, and then Doepfer couldn't make any more of those modules and had to discontinue them.

* Changes in prices. Every time I place an order for the Lumberg jacks I use in most of my products, the price per jack is a penny or two higher. If nothing else changes, the profit per unit of products I sell using those jacks will gradually erode over time. Other parts may experience sudden jumps in price instead of a gradual climb. Some day I may have to raise the prices I charge my customers; but if B-------- starts releasing cheapo substitutes for my products I might end up feeling forced to decrease my prices instead. There comes a point at which this sort of thing ends up meaning it doesn't make sense for me to sell a given product at all; maybe people still say they want to buy it, but they will only really do so at a price I can't afford.

* Changes in demand. Some of the costs of keeping a product available are things that do not decrease when the rate at which they're selling decreases. So it can be that although the product is still selling some units, it's not selling enough units to be worth continuing to produce.

* Changes in the world affecting the product. Vactrols and RoHS, for example. When the product is illegal to sell, discontinuing it becomes a significant possibility.

* Interaction among products. For example, the CA-series integrated circuits, which were made on production equipment that was obsolete long ago. Even if there were still a lot of people wanting to buy CA3080 chips, demand had dried up for most other products from that production line and the profit from CA3080 chips alone wasn't enough to cover the costs of keeping it running, keeping enough employees who could operate it, etc.

* Customer demand for new products. Look at all the "Substitutes for such-and-such module in 2020" threads here. People demanding "in 2020" products aren't buying so many products from 2000, and manufacturers may not be able to support both.

* Correcting mistakes, applying lessons learned, and replacement with a new improved version. I designed my Leapfrog VCF as a hobby project, to build for myself and then release as plans-only DIY (make your own boards, source your own parts). In some ways it's not well-suited for commercial production; for instance, there's an annoying adjustment procedure. I could design one today that would be better-suited to being a commercial product, using what I've learned in the years since the original release... but it would be enough different from the original design that I'd want to give it a new name and number. Then it might make sense to discontinue the first one. In the best case, if a product gets discontinued and replaced this way, it'll only be when everyone agrees that the new version is better. But especially in audio, there will always be a few who wish for the old version. Look at the Intellijel Dixie (which I think was already mentioned in this thread) - despite some worthwhile new features in the new version, lots of people still want the old version just because it was smaller.

Delepathy
Common Wiggler

Post by Delepathy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Mutable Instruments Peaks, Modcan Quad LFO

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Not sure if they are officially discontinued or just really hard to find but monome stuff was pretty sweet when it was plentiful. Arc + Ansible is still one of my all-time fav controls for CV.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 pm

CDavis wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm
Modcan stuff, I unfortunately sold all their osc's and dual delay and I can't say I miss them that much
I had a lot of Modcan and sold them all. I only miss the Quad LFO. I never liked their digital oscillators and I had them all. Modcan still has some hype around it but to me at this stage of the game I don’t think they’re really anything special with the exception of a few modules.

But yeah I’d definitely agree with adding the Modcan Quad LFO to the list. Fantastic module I hope to get again someday.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:29 pm

maudibe wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:13 am
the Richter versions are identical except for the panel and minor changes to fix a couple gremlins. a push button instead of the push/pull knob for LFO mode. they changed the panels because the Wiard brand was taken over by someone who Grant gave it to. So the wiard was rebranded Richter and malekko took the opportunity to revise the boards to fix the issues that many people complained about. :youkids:

so, if you want the anti/uncle.. they're still available... just with different panels..

egon77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egon77 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 am

I miss having:

Plan b Dual Low Pass gate
Livewire Frequensteiner
Livewire Dual Cyclotron

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:37 am

Oh man, where to start? Thankfully I still own or bought back most of the modules I was missing. Lots of good mentions so far.

Modcan is simply ace. I have a Touch Sequencer up for sale, as I now own two! Probably best Eurorack sequencer for its size. If I didn't need the money I'd keep the damn thing twice!

Same goes for the CV Record. I own a bunch of CV recorders (Shakmat, Noise Engineering, Flame, etc) and what the Modcan offers, none of the others do. It's like tape. ignatius the site was there a few days ago when I pinged Bruce. Hope my message didn't remind him to bring it down. I still hope that we'll see him return to modular production (and full health first and foremost).

Doepfer Vocoder. I'm looking at mine right now. Such an underrated pair of modules.

Macromachines. What a sad story. I recently managed to score a Storage Strip and I'm looking into a small design that acts as a replacement. The Omnimod is just lovely. I'm amazed people sell theirs, but thankfully I got one for cheap.

I reall liked Harvestman mk1, but the TS2 design was so much fun. I need to rebuy one of those.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”