Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by dip_registered » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Hey,

I’m considering adding drums and a sequencer to my modular rig (which is currently just a big synth with a few voices for sound design) in order to make some minimal techno.

Here it is:
5A2AC9A9-A9C3-4167-AC19-DC6ACA420244.jpeg
And off to the side is an Es-9 and a Keystep.

I want to add some tiptop 909 modules, a sampler or analog drum voice, and a sequencer. But I really can’t decide on something - mainly for the sequencer or ‘brain’. I was wondering if some people with Techno rigs could show me what they have? For inspiration, as well as to let me know if I’m missing something? I’d preferably like a mix between live playability as well as sit down menu diving / writing tracks - leaning on the playability side. The final mix will be sent to Live over ES-9 where I can add effects / mix.

Eloquencer and Hermod have been top of my list, as well as the Erica Synths drum sequencer. I am also considering an Elektron Digitakt with a midi to CV module, and or iPad and midi to CV module. Or just a plain old Beatstep pro!

Here’s my pros and cons to anyone who cares (Apart from the obvious pros of each module) -

Hermod
Pros
- has polyphonic sequencing in midi (which is perfect alongside my DCO Demon Core Oscillator)
- Cv outs are really powerful for use with my oscillators
- accent outs for drums
Cons
- it won’t take much to fill up all the outputs as drum triggers
- sequencing and playing drums could get fiddly when trying to change things on the fly

Eloquencer
Pros
- looks very live playable, intuitive
- Accent outs
Cons
- no polyphonic sequencing to my DCO, but this leaves more room for drum trigger outs. Keystep can be used for polyphonic sequencing

Erica Synths Drum Sequencer
Pros
- looks so playable, my choice for playability
Cons
- only 1 CV track
- accent outs only really cater towards other Erica Synth drum modules (Not sure if I can get it working with tiptop 909s For example)
- still a bit buggy by the sounds of it

Digitakt + midi to CV module
Pros
- lose the need for a moduler sampler and or drum voice
- I *think* I can polyphonic sequence to DCO
- more bang for my buck
Cons
- Not modular
- no Accent modulation for drums (I think)
- Learning curve could be steeper

Ipad + midi to CV module
Pros
- I already Have an iPad Pro
Cons
- most of the apps have bugs and you can never tell when they will become abandonware

Beatstep Pro
Pros
- Perfect amount of drum gates, with good pads
- good amount of CV sequence outs
Cons
- no drum accent outs per gate out
- Not modular
- maybe not be as good for ‘song mode’ type sequencing

I think all of the above will work to an extent, but it’s just so much trouble to choose!! Especially when I’m not in a scenario to try them out myself. Hence why, if you have a similar rig, I would love to take inspiration from you!
Is there also a combo I’m missing, like a good paring? Eg. Beatstep pro and Pam’s New Workout? That sort of thing?

Cheers all :hail: Any feedback absolutely appreciated!

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Lokua » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I used to use a Digitakt to MIDI CV. Ultimately I found it uninspiring. The Digitakt sequencer in my honest opinion is not very advanced as a sequencer alone and the one way communication especially was just a big disconnect for me. That all goes for using it as a sampler, too, but I'm also a stereo snob and find mono samples to be weak sauce for modern techno. Of course you can make it work, don't let tools limit you and all that.

I replaced that with Westlicht Performer, which takes some cues from Elektron but improves upon them. For example Digitakt looses the 1 when you change track lengths, has no transposition abilities, etc. The Westlicht Performer is DIY but people do sell them on Reverb for cheaper than an Eloquencer, and the Eleoquencer can't swing, which is a big deal breaker for me.

That and an ER-301 was the game changer to bring techno drums to my rack. Problem with the ER-301 is it adds 9ms latency, so I have to route all my analog signals through it to maintain tight timing. This is easy as I just patch a single stereo mix into the ER-301 and the benefit is I can process that mix a bit (side chain, etc).

Edit: forgot the picture!

Some more notes, maybe it'll inspire you.

That gives me four analog voices as well as some derived voices via AM/RM, four drum tracks (BD, HH, SD, Misc Perc) via ER-301 (and these can be DSP synth based, not just samples, which is huge) as well as some chords via three oscillators on the ER-301. For each drum sound I use faders on the Sweet Sixteen (connected to back of 301 via I2C bus) to control decay of each sound, effect sends on each sound (stereo modulated delays with some audio rate modulation mixed in on the 301), and some "master" controls to transpose sequences on the Performer. So the Performer is driving the whole thing, and for drums I use the Performer's pitch CV to work as accents / velocity.

This rack was no accident, btw. My goal - indeed a long journey - has been to be able to do this completely improvised regardless if I am on stage or in a studio and have the only difference between the two be whether I pressed record or not. I was able to pull this off with Ableton and various hardware and MIDI controller accompaniments in the past, but it was too much work for something that was ultimately "unchanging" and hardly had the ability to go to completely new realms on a whim. I think I'm where I want to be technically now - at least on the album front (although I don't have a multi-tracking solution for modular yet) and perhaps even live, but y'know, pandemic and all, so we'll see - I can certainly rock this thing indefinitely by myself :hihi: !

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Thinking more about your setup, Hermod seems to be the best option if you really want to flex that DCO.
I can't remember why I crossed it off the list when I was researching options at the time, but I also don't have any polyphonic abilities (paraphonic though)

So, you can do MIDI for the DCO, and 8 CV on top of that? Is that not enough for drums? I guess you have your other VCOs, too.

This all comes down to personal needs, but I've found less is more concerning drums. I've hard capped myself at four drum tracks and lately have brought that down to three. Effects and multing help to add more "sounds" from these base three for me - again, doing more with less.

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Post by dip_registered » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:26 pm

Lokua wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I used to use a Digitakt to MIDI CV. Ultimately I found it uninspiring. The Digitakt sequencer in my honest opinion is not very advanced as a sequencer alone and the one way communication especially was just a big disconnect for me. That all goes for using it as a sampler, too, but I'm also a stereo snob and find mono samples to be weak sauce for modern techno. Of course you can make it work, don't let tools limit you and all that.

I replaced that with Westlicht Performer, which takes some cues from Elektron but improves upon them. For example Digitakt looses the 1 when you change track lengths, has no transposition abilities, etc. The Westlicht Performer is DIY but people do sell them on Reverb for cheaper than an Eloquencer, and the Eleoquencer can't swing, which is a big deal breaker for me.

That and an ER-301 was the game changer to bring techno drums to my rack. Problem with the ER-301 is it adds 9ms latency, so I have to route all my analog signals through it to maintain tight timing. This is easy as I just patch a single stereo mix into the ER-301 and the benefit is I can process that mix a bit (side chain, etc).

Edit: forgot the picture!

Some more notes, maybe it'll inspire you.

That gives me four analog voices as well as some derived voices via AM/RM, four drum tracks (BD, HH, SD, Misc Perc) via ER-301 (and these can be DSP synth based, not just samples, which is huge) as well as some chords via three oscillators on the ER-301. For each drum sound I use faders on the Sweet Sixteen (connected to back of 301 via I2C bus) to control decay of each sound, effect sends on each sound (stereo modulated delays with some audio rate modulation mixed in on the 301), and some "master" controls to transpose sequences on the Performer. So the Performer is driving the whole thing, and for drums I use the Performer's pitch CV to work as accents / velocity.

This rack was no accident, btw. My goal - indeed a long journey - has been to be able to do this completely improvised regardless if I am on stage or in a studio and have the only difference between the two be whether I pressed record or not. I was able to pull this off with Ableton and various hardware and MIDI controller accompaniments in the past, but it was too much work for something that was ultimately "unchanging" and hardly had the ability to go to completely new realms on a whim. I think I'm where I want to be technically now - at least on the album front (although I don't have a multi-tracking solution for modular yet) and perhaps even live, but y'know, pandemic and all, so we'll see - I can certainly rock this thing indefinitely by myself :hihi: !
This is such a huge help!! And thanks for going into detail. I can fully see how you would be routing things, at least on the drum level. I didn’t know about the performer, it seems awesome. The 9ms lag thing seems like a deal breaker for me on the 301, but you’re obviously making it work? Like, if you had all your non-drum sounds going into a stereo mix, then into the 301, you couldn’t have individual control of those tracks later for mastering etc? Maybe it’s not as bigger deal as I’m making it out to be anyway! Especially for live stuff. I’d love to hear you/this machine in action!

Thanks!

Also, you’ve helped me realise that no matter what I get, it will most likely be a journey to starting over in some areas just to find what suits me.

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Post by dip_registered » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 am

Lokua wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 pm
Thinking more about your setup, Hermod seems to be the best option if you really want to flex that DCO.
I can't remember why I crossed it off the list when I was researching options at the time, but I also don't have any polyphonic abilities (paraphonic though)

So, you can do MIDI for the DCO, and 8 CV on top of that? Is that not enough for drums? I guess you have your other VCOs, too.

This all comes down to personal needs, but I've found less is more concerning drums. I've hard capped myself at four drum tracks and lately have brought that down to three. Effects and multing help to add more "sounds" from these base three for me - again, doing more with less.
You’re right, I’ve been leaning towards Hermod for that ability. And I like your idea about less is more with the drums. I don’t specifically think I’ll be sequencing that many different drums sounds anyway, but I’m thinking these possibly all on the same song:

1. Bass drum
2. Open hat
3. Closed hat
4. Snare
5. Clap / Rimshot
6. Bass melody
7.DCO polyphonic
8. Misc duties, or DPO / RK7 melody

Seems tight, but maybe tight is better and an OK thing in the long run? Better to work with constraints?

I think maybe with a pams new workout added on, maybe that’ll let me feel a bit freer with space to work with drums.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:24 am

I make techno/"underground" dance music and was similarly using my eurorack as a sound processing tool and for weird monosynth lines and atmospherics. I've started getting more into using it for percussion lately though and it's been such a fun and creative process, although I rarely make the basic backbone of a techno beat with it it's so good for weird percussive top lines/loops and sample creation that I can feed into the Octatrack or Ableton.

For drum voices I have an Erica Sample Drum, Akemie's Taiko, and SY0.5, all great. But lately I've been using the ZPO and Kermit MK3 extensively for strange clangorous percussion hits that evolve over time (and will often record a few minutes of this just hitting on the 2 and 4 downbeat to use in a track).

As for sequencing I'm mainly using a Steppy with AD Event Boss, Pamela's NW, and Sequential Switch Matrix to get all kinds of weird trig sequencing (just posted a thread about this) but the Steppy in itself is very straightforward and surprisingly powerful. I find I rarely am using more than 4, maybe 5 trigs at a time. For me techno is all about space (for lack of a better term) and using a few sounds creatively in a 4/4 context to create a groove that just, idk, moves. I almost never feel like I need more trigs but YMMV of course.

I'd definitely recommend getting the Steppy and Sample Drum (which is 2 voice) and then creating a few custom percussion voices with what you have already and there you go, 4 voice drum machine. Also logic, mults, VCAs and sequential switches can allow you to extract a lot of different events out of a single trig source, if you're finding 4 is not enough. I find programming drum this way in modular so much more fun and interesting than just using a trad drum sequencer. It's takes a bit more work but that's why we're here I guess.

Also one of the most fucking techno modules ever is the 4ms DLD. So so sick on loopy techno percussion, especially when sending it all kinds of clock and CV. It plays very nicely with PNW (having a bunch of different clocks sequenced through the SSM and going to various parameters really opens it up into generative, rhythmic techno psychedelia).

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 am

Oh also, not drum related but I want to mention how good the Voltage Block is for sequencing animated, rhythmic CV modulation and abstract atonal melodies which work great in techno. It's one of the best techno sequencing tools I have.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am

For your kick, think about the Jomox Modbase09 (MK2 on the way, might be able to find a MK1). Not cheap but for techno not much can stand up to it. Wide range (from 909ish to 808ish to loads more variation), ability to save your difference sounds which is perfect for quick recall playing live, deep modulation for kick/bass/sub rumbles. Sounds huge through a PA.

Hermod’s great too, esp paired with a Pyramid. All the percussive/melodic/chord sequencing plus advanced pattern/song modes, polyrhythmic/metric options and FX.

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:42 am

For techno, the Elektron Rytm is a beast! I know I know- it is not modular so you may not want to go that route but it blows away the inferior Digitakt in every way. I use my Octatrack for drums the samples are so good and tweakable. Lately I got my first percussion module- the mighty Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter (BIA) and holy crap can that module itself do techno quite well! You could get a few BIA modules and sequencer and be ready for techno in no time. I love mine. The Hexinverter Mutant Drums look amazing as well as do the WMD Fracture, Crater, and Chimera percussion modules.

JuliusRe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JuliusRe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am

I´m using a Digitakt as sequencer for my modular, while also providing drums and samples. For Midi to CV i have the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. Contrary to some opinions above, I´m absolutely loving it :mrgreen:
Sequencer are probably a matter of taste and workflow to a large extent.
Also you can definitely get accents out of the Digitakt, as you can modulate a ton of CC parameters per step. The rest is a matter of mapping it onto a midi to cv converter.

By the way, what exactly do you guys mean by the Digitakt being an "inferior" sequencer? I´m actually not missing any functionality, but it´s my first hardware "sequencer" anyway :roll:

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 am

Yea, the Analog Rytm is like techno in a box basically. It's my main source of techno drums, although I mostly use samples in it weirdly.

I had the Jomox Mbase for years and it's fine, definitely sounds big on a system, often too big. I went to play a show at a club once and it just fucking ate the whole room up, I had to turn the bass eq on the mixer down to like 9:00 just to get the rumble to a bearable point. It sounded fine on my home monitors but just exploded on a club system when using even medium decay settings. Honestly I'm so anal about kicks now that I almost always use ones I've meticulously sculpted in Ableton. It's such an important part of most techno it just needs to be right. Listen to a few Randomer tracks and half the time you're just going "fuck that's a sick kick". For more experimental and home listening techno it's less critical.

To get a kick to sound big on a system but not overwhelm it requires a lot of eq and processing if it has any real decay or sub to it. Also editing the Jomox units is not fun. There are honestly some good sample packs out there which are a good place to start for kicks. That's the one thing I'll use from a sample pack, when none of my homebrew kicks are fitting the bill. Get a eurorack sample player and voila.

Another thing that's hugely important in getting techno drums to slap is tuning your kicks to the bassline (or other bass content). Makes a world of difference and I can save the same kick in a few different keys with samples.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:31 am

dip_registered wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:26 pm
The 9ms lag thing seems like a deal breaker for me on the 301, but you’re obviously making it work? Like, if you had all your non-drum sounds going into a stereo mix, then into the 301, you couldn’t have individual control of those tracks later for mastering etc? Maybe it’s not as bigger deal as I’m making it out to be anyway! Especially for live stuff. I’d love to hear you/this machine in action!

Thanks!

Also, you’ve helped me realise that no matter what I get, it will most likely be a journey to starting over in some areas just to find what suits me.
Yeah exactly to everything you said. I'm pretty close to making a decision on an ES-9 which will at least solve my multi tracking issue and I'll be able to do the delay offsets in Ableton so I wouldn't need to route through the 301. In performance situation I'll have to fallback to routing through the 301. So yeah, I think I can make this work in all scenarios. I even brought up the idea of track offsets on the ES-9 to Os (Expert Sleepers) in the forum here and it does seem possible in a limited capacity.

sierraoskar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sierraoskar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 am

Here's how I have my rack setup for this. This is a lot more tuned towards randomised sequences and not really composing, so I don't know it works for you or not. My core drum sounds I take from the Squid Salmple, except the kick, which I take from the Kickall. Those drum sounds I then sequence with a mix of the Ameoba, the Steppy, the Dot and various switches/ mutes/ logic.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1336339

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 am

Here's mine :

I also have a 4u with a rotating cast of modules that go in and out of the main case like the LIP, SY-05, Res EQ...

It took my a while to find my way, I eventually realized I prefer a very hands on approach and am mostly uninspired when working with samples (but I'm finally getting more into it via a creative approach in the 301).
It's perfect for production, I'll soon add a DB25 to the PM to be able to multitrack. I have never played live with it yet but that would require a lot of preparation; even if I know the system like the back of my hand.

Here's a quick example of what it can do :
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 am

JuliusRe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am
I´m using a Digitakt as sequencer for my modular, while also providing drums and samples. For Midi to CV i have the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. Contrary to some opinions above, I´m absolutely loving it :mrgreen:
Sequencer are probably a matter of taste and workflow to a large extent.
Also you can definitely get accents out of the Digitakt, as you can modulate a ton of CC parameters per step. The rest is a matter of mapping it onto a midi to cv converter.

By the way, what exactly do you guys mean by the Digitakt being an "inferior" sequencer? I´m actually not missing any functionality, but it´s my first hardware "sequencer" anyway :roll:
A couple comments that can be seen as negative towards the Digitakt were made. I think an earlier post might have left out some details but I think the poster meant inferior to an Analog Rytm specifically, which purely going on specs seems right on the money (and might be why it costs 3 times as much as a Digitakt). That alone doesn't mean Digitakt is "shit" or anything. It certainly isn't a bad sequencer.

I said that the Digitakt sequencer, and I mean sequencer specifically, is not that "advanced". But hey, for basic 16-64 step sequencing it's just fine! And its parameter locks are pretty damn awesome. I don't want put a cloud over your experience, but I'm happy to provide a small list of basic features it lacks, but if you're not finding it lacking then that's really all that matters!

JuliusRe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JuliusRe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 am

Lokua wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 am

A couple comments that can be seen as negative towards the Digitakt were made. I think an earlier post might have left out some details but I think the poster meant inferior to an Analog Rytm specifically, which purely going on specs seems right on the money (and might be why it costs 3 times as much as a Digitakt). That alone doesn't mean Digitakt is "shit" or anything. It certainly isn't a bad sequencer.

I said that the Digitakt sequencer, and I mean sequencer specifically, is not that "advanced". But hey, for basic 16-64 step sequencing it's just fine! And its parameter locks are pretty damn awesome. I don't want put a cloud over your experience, but I'm happy to provide a small list of basic features it lacks, but if you're not finding it lacking then that's really all that matters!
ah alright, now I get, what you`re saying :doh:

Could you give me some aspects of the Analog Rytm`s sequencer, which the Digitakt`s lacks? Just curious about the added value of the Rytm - besides the obvious differnces in general functionality :)

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Post by everythingcontinues » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm

I wouldn't try to steer you out of Eurorack for this purpose, but +1 for the Elektron Analog Rytm. It is a very powerful, quick / easy / fun to use groove box. Between the analog drum / synth engines, sampling capabilities (mono only) and sequencer you can get really far with this alone. I've got a MkII and am planning on getting an Expert Sleepers FH-2 for my modular for easier and bidirectional clock syncing between the two (so I can choose which is the master).

At present, when I do just want to jam and keep everything within the modular, I've found Eloquencer + Disting EX to be a surprisingly capable (up to 6 voice, sample-based) drum machine combo. Pitch sequencing for other voices almost always starts with V/OCTs coming from Marbles (Marbles into Harmonaig if I'm doing chord stabs) with the gate patters coming from Eloquencer so I can be more deliberate about the rhythm and let Marbles come up with the pitches. I like how quick it is to punch in gate patterns and rotate them with Eloquencer to quickly establish a starting place that can be developed later.

I have a few different voice options, but my main callout here is the Synthesis Technology e370, which is an absolute beast--basses, leads, pads; it's real good for all of em.
Lokua wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm
...Eleoquencer can't swing, which is a big deal breaker for me.
Quick note, here: It can, actually; they call it shuffle.

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:22 pm

everythingcontinues wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm
Quick note, here: It can, actually; they call it shuffle.
Nice! Good to know. Didn't mean to spread misinformation, pretty sure it didn't have that in the first few firmwares, but I could be wrong.
JuliusRe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 am
Could you give me some aspects of the Analog Rytm`s sequencer, which the Digitakt`s lacks? Just curious about the added value of the Rytm - besides the obvious differnces in general functionality :)
I can't speak to the Analog Rytm's sequencer, however the fact that it can do sampling and synthesis and uses an analog signal path for certain aspects are certainly things not on the Digitakt. For all I know the sequencers specifically are the same, but maybe not. I always assumed all the Elektron sequencers used the same base software engine, but I've been told they differ from machine to machine.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm

JuliusRe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 am

I'm pretty sure all the post MD/MnM Elektrons have the same core sequencer (now that the OT has been updated with trig conditions), it's just the sound engines and other features that are different. For example the A4 has this excellent macro control page where you can assign multiple parameters to various knobs, which is great for easily doing dramatic changes during a live set. The pads on the Rytm really give you a lot of excellent performance controls, like launching different pattern variations, retrigs, mutes etc. It really makes it feel like an instrument.

The Rytm can also store BPM per track which is huge if you like to jump the tempo around in a live set. Not sure if the Digitakt can do that but the OT can't.

The OT is a more direct comparison with the Digitakt and it's like an order of magnitude more complex with 3 lfos instead of one, an insane arpeggiator which is almost a sequencer in itself and usable on external midi gear (seriously one of the sickest and most overused things in my studio), the ability to extensively edit, chop, and timestretch loops or whole tracks, and scene morphing on the crossfader. It can also do live buffered sampling allowing you to grab loops on the fly and seriously mangle them immediately. It's an absurdly deep machine.

consumed
International Filter Conspiracy

Post by consumed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm

im a simple old man. this mantis case does me right for techno jam sessions, esp with a minilogue xd off to the side...its pretty much all i need. ive rotated the penrose sequencer out with either a MI peaks or an MN function. i find many of these modules in the patch.
Attachments
mantis1.JPG

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Post by dip_registered » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 pm

daphnid wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:24 am
I make techno/"underground" dance music and was similarly using my eurorack as a sound processing tool and for weird monosynth lines and atmospherics. I've started getting more into using it for percussion lately though and it's been such a fun and creative process, although I rarely make the basic backbone of a techno beat with it it's so good for weird percussive top lines/loops and sample creation that I can feed into the Octatrack or Ableton.

For drum voices I have an Erica Sample Drum, Akemie's Taiko, and SY0.5, all great. But lately I've been using the ZPO and Kermit MK3 extensively for strange clangorous percussion hits that evolve over time (and will often record a few minutes of this just hitting on the 2 and 4 downbeat to use in a track).

As for sequencing I'm mainly using a Steppy with AD Event Boss, Pamela's NW, and Sequential Switch Matrix to get all kinds of weird trig sequencing (just posted a thread about this) but the Steppy in itself is very straightforward and surprisingly powerful. I find I rarely am using more than 4, maybe 5 trigs at a time. For me techno is all about space (for lack of a better term) and using a few sounds creatively in a 4/4 context to create a groove that just, idk, moves. I almost never feel like I need more trigs but YMMV of course.

I'd definitely recommend getting the Steppy and Sample Drum (which is 2 voice) and then creating a few custom percussion voices with what you have already and there you go, 4 voice drum machine. Also logic, mults, VCAs and sequential switches can allow you to extract a lot of different events out of a single trig source, if you're finding 4 is not enough. I find programming drum this way in modular so much more fun and interesting than just using a trad drum sequencer. It's takes a bit more work but that's why we're here I guess.

Also one of the most fucking techno modules ever is the 4ms DLD. So so sick on loopy techno percussion, especially when sending it all kinds of clock and CV. It plays very nicely with PNW (having a bunch of different clocks sequenced through the SSM and going to various parameters really opens it up into generative, rhythmic techno psychedelia).
Really cool to know your process! I’d like to know more about sequential switches to see if that’s the way I’d like to sequence beats. And I will check out the DLD!
adg672 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am
For your kick, think about the Jomox Modbase09 (MK2 on the way, might be able to find a MK1). Not cheap but for techno not much can stand up to it. Wide range (from 909ish to 808ish to loads more variation), ability to save your difference sounds which is perfect for quick recall playing live, deep modulation for kick/bass/sub rumbles. Sounds huge through a PA.

Hermod’s great too, esp paired with a Pyramid. All the percussive/melodic/chord sequencing plus advanced pattern/song modes, polyrhythmic/metric options and FX.
Definitely will check out the jomox bass drum, looks sick. And yeah, leaning towards Hermod for sure!
mixxalot wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:42 am
For techno, the Elektron Rytm is a beast! I know I know- it is not modular so you may not want to go that route but it blows away the inferior Digitakt in every way. I use my Octatrack for drums the samples are so good and tweakable. Lately I got my first percussion module- the mighty Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter (BIA) and holy crap can that module itself do techno quite well! You could get a few BIA modules and sequencer and be ready for techno in no time. I love mine. The Hexinverter Mutant Drums look amazing as well as do the WMD Fracture, Crater, and Chimera percussion modules.
Definitely love the look of the RYTM, I’ve been eying it off! I feel like that might be the next NEXT step for me, depending on how I go with a simple sequencer with my current setup. The analog drum synthesis in it is so sick! If I could sequence my modular with it, maybe I’d consider it now? As for the eurorack side, I’m eyeing off all those modules you mentioned.... do I get a bunch of them, or do I try to create percussion with what I already have and sample them into something like ALM Squid Slample? Do the questions ever end? 😂
JuliusRe wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am
Haha good to hear! It might be more basic than the other models from Elektron, but a lot of those models (like RYTM) don’t support the external midi sequencing anyway, you can only really clock with it. (At least that’s what I’ve read)
sierraoskar wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 am
Here's how I have my rack setup for this. This is a lot more tuned towards randomised sequences and not really composing, so I don't know it works for you or not. My core drum sounds I take from the Squid Salmple, except the kick, which I take from the Kickall. Those drum sounds I then sequence with a mix of the Ameoba, the Steppy, the Dot and various switches/ mutes/ logic.
This seems really cool. As I’ve said above I’d like to know more about this kind of sequencing, or listen to examples! Also the squid slample is definitely on my list. I think making samples inside the rack with existing gear is an awesome way to have your own sound.
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 am
Here's mine :

I also have a 4u with a rotating cast of modules that go in and out of the main case like the LIP, SY-05, Res EQ...

It took my a while to find my way, I eventually realized I prefer a very hands on approach and am mostly uninspired when working with samples (but I'm finally getting more into it via a creative approach in the 301).
It's perfect for production, I'll soon add a DB25 to the PM to be able to multitrack. I have never played live with it yet but that would require a lot of preparation; even if I know the system like the back of my hand.

That’s so gold, love your work! The multi delay would be so sweet to have in a techno rack. Very inspiring tool. One day maybe I can afford more verbos gear! Do you enjoy the Erica synths drum sequencer? I love the look of it. Do you use it as a simple trigger or do you use the accents too? I’ve been reading about it on MW and unfortunately it’s not making me confident in getting it...
everythingcontinues wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:06 pm
I wouldn't try to steer you out of Eurorack for this purpose, but +1 for the Elektron Analog Rytm. It is a very powerful, quick / easy / fun to use groove box. Between the analog drum / synth engines, sampling capabilities (mono only) and sequencer you can get really far with this alone. I've got a MkII and am planning on getting an Expert Sleepers FH-2 for my modular for easier and bidirectional clock syncing between the two (so I can choose which is the master).

At present, when I do just want to jam and keep everything within the modular, I've found Eloquencer + Disting EX to be a surprisingly capable (up to 6 voice, sample-based) drum machine combo. Pitch sequencing for other voices almost always starts with V/OCTs coming from Marbles (Marbles into Harmonaig if I'm doing chord stabs) with the gate patters coming from Eloquencer so I can be more deliberate about the rhythm and let Marbles come up with the pitches. I like how quick it is to punch in gate patterns and rotate them with Eloquencer to quickly establish a starting place that can be developed later.

I have a few different voice options, but my main callout here is the Synthesis Technology e370, which is an absolute beast--basses, leads, pads; it's real good for all of em.
Will check out the e370! And yeah RYTM seems sick, maybe for down the line once I’ve played more within modular! Eloquencer still high on my list.
consumed wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm
im a simple old man. this mantis case does me right for techno jam sessions, esp with a minilogue xd off to the side...its pretty much all i need. ive rotated the penrose sequencer out with either a MI peaks or an MN function. i find many of these modules in the patch.
I like simple! I’d like to hear what this can do!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Here's mine :

Nice!

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 am

daphnid wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm

The OT is a more direct comparison with the Digitakt and it's like an order of magnitude more complex with 3 lfos instead of one, an insane arpeggiator which is almost a sequencer in itself and usable on external midi gear (seriously one of the sickest and most overused things in my studio), the ability to extensively edit, chop, and timestretch loops or whole tracks, and scene morphing on the crossfader. It can also do live buffered sampling allowing you to grab loops on the fly and seriously mangle them immediately. It's an absurdly deep machine.
As an owner of the OT I can attest to how wonderful and amazing this Elektron box is for live shows and jamming. I use mine with modular for fx and processing stuff. Probably need the external MIDI to CV box to avoid taking up precious rack space and the Doepfer A190-4 MIDI to CV module in one case is a pain to deal with. Even though I love modular drums, the Rytm is a beast and way less expensive than a full equivalent setup of modular eurorack drums and sequencer/mixer. I priced out a basic Mutant Drums modular build with WMD Metron and WMD Performance mixer and it was like 5x the cost of the Elektron Rytm!!!! Best bet is pair a Rytm with a modular setup and be done with it. Right now I use my OT for drums and samples.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 am

If you’re considering the Rytm, another option is the Jomox Alphabase. Similar but different enough feature set and around the same price (a bit more). Then you get the jomox kick, Mbrane, self-oscillating filters, sampling, FM synth (4-op 6 voice - way more fun than I expected) etc.

Got both and prefer the Alpha for overall sound. Maybe something to think about.

And another mention for the E370, big and pricey but so much there.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:50 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Here's mine :

Cool stuff, sounded great through monitors

Return to “Eurorack Modules”