Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Grumpypanda69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Grumpypanda69 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 am

Image

Moving stuff around but there's the voltage research lab, Erica techno system, Pro 3 & Matriarch. Tascam Model 12 & JBL Monitors.

User avatar
naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by naturligfunktion » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 am
*Picture of a techno rig, description & a great instagram video*
Really nice mate. I like your case and the sound it makes! My long term plan is to go in a similar direction.

This is my current setup:

Image

Outside the case I also have a delay and reverb pedal, a Moog sub phatty and the Tanzbär drum machine. This setup does not work great for techno jams to be honest. I usually find a start, a cool sequence or a nice hihat pattern (I really like to use the noise module with maths for hihats) that I record. After that there is A LOT of overdubbing and fiddeling. I never had great success, but one tune that I ended up enjoying with was this one:



It sort of works, but when it comes to techno, I really like a bit more improvisational tone to it.

My plan is to get another case and start to build more complete voices. Right now I feel that I can control one fully, or four really bad. The Moog is seldom part of the jams, because I cannot sequence it, so I plan to get a external sequencer for that bad boy. I also had a Rings doing weird, atmospheric stuff in the background, but I ended up selling it to afford my complex VCO and since then I haven't really made any techno :hmm:

Anyways, this is a great thread with good inspirational tips. I suppose my post illustrated another, more difficult approach of making techno :)
A new track for your enjoyment

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am

@dip_registered, @adg672, @dubonaire, @naturligfunktion

Thank you all !
I have an ep coming very soon recorded with this very setup :)

dip, yes I really like the Erica Drum Sequencer. Unfortunately the accents don't work with non-erica modules, so I use regular triggers but it's a bit annoying. Good thing there are 16 of them. Other than that it's not at all buggy, there has been loads of fw updates and it's super stable. It's a joy to use, very immediate and fun. I've toyed with the idea of switching to Metron w/ axxent but I'm not sure I like the tactile interface that much, plus no clock divider (I use four outputs to clock different sequencers), no midi (useful to record) means I would miss too much stuff. And yes, the Verbos delay is amazing.

naturlig : I love the sound of the tanzbar, even though I don't have one... I have samples that I often use. Love the little dissonant melody coming towards the end in your track :) I feel you with the overdubbing, that's why I tailored my case to be able to record one takes. Granted it's very repetitive techno so that helps.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

User avatar
hallospceboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by hallospceboy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Ive been gone from Muffs for a while but this was the thread I needed!! Here is my current setup:
Image

As you can see its set up to be a multi voice synth. Would like to switch some things out, mainly add another Maths and another filter. But I want a drum machine to sit next to and clock it. (maybe sequence, would free up some space to drop the three sequencers I have!) If going that route I think the easiest way to go is the Mutant Brain.
I just bought a Model:Cycles and I am not gelling with it. I am too constricted by it. As stated earlier the Rytm would be the way to go but that's :75: that I could fill my empty 3u with to build a drum rig. Is the Digitone the way to do this? Id like to stay away from samples, having a full synth engine would be dope, unless someone can convince me to get a sampler ie; digitakt. I really like the Elektron sequencer, and the 4 tracks on the Digitone while limited, can change on every step so its almost limitless...


edit: I guess MG is down? attached a screenshot
Attachments
MG.jpg
Current rig: Modulargrid!

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:43 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 am
Here's mine :

Image


I also have a 4u with a rotating cast of modules that go in and out of the main case like the LIP, SY-05, Res EQ...

It took my a while to find my way, I eventually realized I prefer a very hands on approach and am mostly uninspired when working with samples (but I'm finally getting more into it via a creative approach in the 301).
It's perfect for production, I'll soon add a DB25 to the PM to be able to multitrack. I have never played live with it yet but that would require a lot of preparation; even if I know the system like the back of my hand.

Here's a quick example of what it can do :
This is hot. And you certainly know how to use it. Followed.
FS- Endorphin.es System with Buchla Panels, Analogue Solutions Generator, Ladik Sequencer Trio
WTB: Pittsburgh Modualar Voltage Lab

adg672
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by adg672 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am

hallospceboy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 pm
Ive been gone from Muffs for a while but this was the thread I needed!! Here is my current setup:
Image

As you can see its set up to be a multi voice synth. Would like to switch some things out, mainly add another Maths and another filter. But I want a drum machine to sit next to and clock it. (maybe sequence, would free up some space to drop the three sequencers I have!) If going that route I think the easiest way to go is the Mutant Brain.
I just bought a Model:Cycles and I am not gelling with it. I am too constricted by it. As stated earlier the Rytm would be the way to go but that's :75: that I could fill my empty 3u with to build a drum rig. Is the Digitone the way to do this? Id like to stay away from samples, having a full synth engine would be dope, unless someone can convince me to get a sampler ie; digitakt. I really like the Elektron sequencer, and the 4 tracks on the Digitone while limited, can change on every step so its almost limitless...


edit: I guess MG is down? attached a screenshot
If you like FM drums/percussion, the Digitone makes a really cool drum machine. Sounds great across the frequency spectrum. All the internal sounds/sequencing plus 4 ext MIDI tracks and external in so you can run the modular through its fx. Can use it as an audio interface too if that’s any use. And doesn’t always have to be drums giving you flexibility.

dip_registered
Common Wiggler
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by dip_registered » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 am
I priced out a basic Mutant Drums modular build with WMD Metron and WMD Performance mixer and it was like 5x the cost of the Elektron Rytm!!!! Best bet is pair a Rytm with a modular setup and be done with it.
I’m considering a setup like this, now, after all the posts!
adg672 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 am
If you’re considering the Rytm, another option is the Jomox Alphabase. Similar but different enough feature set and around the same price (a bit more). Then you get the jomox kick, Mbrane, self-oscillating filters, sampling, FM synth (4-op 6 voice - way more fun than I expected) etc.
This looks rad. This is what I’m seriously considering now 😂 probably this and a 64POD with a hermod in it, to run my modular beside alphabase. From research the alphabase can’t really control external midi hardware? Like if I got a midi to cv tool? So yeah would probably clock the hermod, which gives me a lot of control over the hardware I already have including polyphonic sequencing over midi to the DCO.
Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 am
Image

Moving stuff around but there's the voltage research lab, Erica techno system, Pro 3 & Matriarch. Tascam Model 12 & JBL Monitors.
Love this!
naturligfunktion wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 am
I usually find a start, a cool sequence or a nice hihat pattern (I really like to use the noise module with maths for hihats) that I record. After that there is A LOT of overdubbing and fiddeling. I never had great success, but one tune that I ended up enjoying with was this one:
Man I’m digging what you’ve accomplished for a ‘smaller’ system! Awesome track! I should experiment with what I have a bit more. I’m in a similar spot to you in needing something to sequence.
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am
dip, yes I really like the Erica Drum Sequencer. Unfortunately the accents don't work with non-erica modules, so I use regular triggers but it's a bit annoying. Good thing there are 16 of them. Other than that it's not at all buggy, there has been loads of fw updates and it's super stable. It's a joy to use, very immediate and fun. I've toyed with the idea of switching to Metron w/ axxent but I'm not sure I like the tactile interface that much, plus no clock divider (I use four outputs to clock different sequencers), no midi (useful to record) means I would miss too much stuff. And yes, the Verbos delay is amazing.
The feel of the Erica drum sequencer looks to be so good. Perfect if you only need triggers, but man accents would be a great touch! I think you’re going to find it hard to move onto any other sequencer though.

I noticed you tagged Dub Techno in your post. What part of your rig do you think caters for that type of sound the most? The delay definitely... anything else? Can’t wait to hear your EP!
hallospceboy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 pm
As you can see its set up to be a multi voice synth. Would like to switch some things out, mainly add another Maths and another filter. But I want a drum machine to sit next to and clock it. (maybe sequence, would free up some space to drop the three sequencers I have!) If going that route I think the easiest way to go is the Mutant Brain.
I think we’re in a similar boat! And glad to see another spring reverb user :hihi: I’m looking at external drum voice / sequencing vs modular drum voice and sequencing...
adg672 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am
If you like FM drums/percussion, the Digitone makes a really cool drum machine. Sounds great across the frequency spectrum. All the internal sounds/sequencing plus 4 ext MIDI tracks and external in so you can run the modular through its fx. Can use it as an audio interface too if that’s any use. And doesn’t always have to be drums giving you flexibility.
RYTM and Alphabase don’t have ext midi tracks do they? Wishful thinking?

User avatar
hallospceboy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by hallospceboy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:39 pm

dip_registered wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
hallospceboy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 pm
As you can see its set up to be a multi voice synth. Would like to switch some things out, mainly add another Maths and another filter. But I want a drum machine to sit next to and clock it. (maybe sequence, would free up some space to drop the three sequencers I have!) If going that route I think the easiest way to go is the Mutant Brain.
I think we’re in a similar boat! And glad to see another spring reverb user :hihi: I’m looking at external drum voice / sequencing vs modular drum voice and sequencing...
Using the digital brick with the Spring. But making it feedback sounds amazing! if you do it just right you can feed it a pitch and have it feedback in tune. Really cool to add texture to snare drums (yeah I sample my modular-made-drums into Ableton. I know the Rytm is the way to go with analog drums PLUS sampling, but my other hobby is bicycles and that is also a money pit...)
Current rig: Modulargrid!

ch3oh
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 am

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by ch3oh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

dip_registered wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
RYTM and Alphabase don’t have ext midi tracks do they? Wishful thinking?
Elektron added sequencer midi out in some of the recent firmware updates, afaik. You won't get separate midi tracks though, it just outputs whatever sequencer does to the existing tracks, if I understand it right.

User avatar
funeralcake
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by funeralcake » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm

daphnid wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 am
Oh also, not drum related but I want to mention how good the Voltage Block is for sequencing animated, rhythmic CV modulation and abstract atonal melodies which work great in techno. It's one of the best techno sequencing tools I have.
I've been thinking about buying a 2nd VB. Is that excessive? Two VB's and a Trigger Riot seems like a great setup (at least on paper) for a variety of minimal sequenced electronic music styles.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:18 pm

dip_registered wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am
dip, yes I really like the Erica Drum Sequencer. Unfortunately the accents don't work with non-erica modules, so I use regular triggers but it's a bit annoying. Good thing there are 16 of them. Other than that it's not at all buggy, there has been loads of fw updates and it's super stable. It's a joy to use, very immediate and fun. I've toyed with the idea of switching to Metron w/ axxent but I'm not sure I like the tactile interface that much, plus no clock divider (I use four outputs to clock different sequencers), no midi (useful to record) means I would miss too much stuff. And yes, the Verbos delay is amazing.

I noticed you tagged Dub Techno in your post. What part of your rig do you think caters for that type of sound the most? The delay definitely... anything else? Can’t wait to hear your EP!
The bark filter, the Verbos delay in combination with filters in the feedback path can get some great dubby sounds. Also one of my favorites dub machine is the Jomox T-Res II; I use it all the time. Dub Techno is not just about chords :)
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

dip_registered
Common Wiggler
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by dip_registered » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 pm

ch3oh wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Elektron added sequencer midi out in some of the recent firmware updates, afaik. You won't get separate midi tracks though, it just outputs whatever sequencer does to the existing tracks, if I understand it right.
Good to know, thanks!
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:18 pm
The bark filter, the Verbos delay in combination with filters in the feedback path can get some great dubby sounds. Also one of my favorites dub machine is the Jomox T-Res II; I use it all the time. Dub Techno is not just about chords :)
Sick. I agree!

User avatar
daphnid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by daphnid » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 pm

funeralcake wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm
daphnid wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 am
Oh also, not drum related but I want to mention how good the Voltage Block is for sequencing animated, rhythmic CV modulation and abstract atonal melodies which work great in techno. It's one of the best techno sequencing tools I have.
I've been thinking about buying a 2nd VB. Is that excessive? Two VB's and a Trigger Riot seems like a great setup (at least on paper) for a variety of minimal sequenced electronic music styles.
I use a VB and Metropolis and I have to say it's really nice to have a sequencer that has gates associated with each note for doing more conventional basslines or melodies. I mostly use the VB for modulation but I do like making melodies on it and then sending probability gates to the amp envelope. I find both are harder than necessary to do something very intentional with, but I have an Octatrack (and uMIDI) for that.

Rhythmic modulation that loops every bar works so well in techno and that's really where the VB shines imo.

User avatar
consumed
International Filter Conspiracy
Posts: 3706
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: nor cal

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by consumed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm

consumed wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm
im a simple old man. this mantis case does me right for techno jam sessions, esp with a minilogue xd off to the side...its pretty much all i need. ive rotated the penrose sequencer out with either a MI peaks or an MN function. i find many of these modules in the patch.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/848697

Image


this mantis case is at the middle of all the clips on this instagram, sometimes paired with a nord drum 2, minilogue xd, a touch of x0xb0x
some of these sketches / patches really show off how much fun clouds can be pushing sounds around
these are all one handed phone-to-the-speaker so forgive the slop





Last edited by consumed on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
esmeets
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by esmeets » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 am

Here is my small rack.

Image

I've gone from 4x 104HP to 1 small rack but I'm thinking about expanding.

User avatar
naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am
naturlig : I love the sound of the tanzbar, even though I don't have one... I have samples that I often use. Love the little dissonant melody coming towards the end in your track :) I feel you with the overdubbing, that's why I tailored my case to be able to record one takes. Granted it's very repetitive techno so that helps.
Thanks mate :)

The tanzbär is a great little drum machine. The build quality is not the best, and it is a bit small, but I love it nevertheless. Best part is that it has two programmable gate outs. They use the same sequencer as the drum machine, so you can make really cool gate and trigger patterns with this thing. It is absolutely essential in my modular setup because of that (sometimes I dont even use it to make drums...). It also sounds good, but the sounds need some love (like with any machine). For a long time I had it running through a moog filter. It gave the machine more character :)

Re repetitive techno: It is difficult to make it melodic, or like "advanced harmony" (whatever that means...) but I have a plan to get a bunch of precision adders and sequential switches and see what happens. A side note: I think your music - and similar techno - is structured with several layers that moves in and out. Even if the melody is repetitive doesn't mean that the overall music is stagnant in my opinion. It just require the audience to listen hehe
dip_registered wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
Man I’m digging what you’ve accomplished for a ‘smaller’ system! Awesome track! I should experiment with what I have a bit more. I’m in a similar spot to you in needing something to sequence.
Thanks mate! That makes me glad :) To be fair, the rack for that song was a bit different. I didn't have pressure points (it was occupied by four LFOs). Instead of the complex VCO there was another VCO (through zero'ing the STO) and a Rings (doing funky melodic stuff I think). But the process was the same.
A new track for your enjoyment

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by drowld » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:23 am

consumed wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm
this mantis case is at the middle of all the clips on this instagram, sometimes paired with a nord drum 2, minilogue xd, a touch of x0xb0x
some of these sketches / patches really show off how much fun clouds can be pushing sounds around
these are all one handed phone-to-the-speaker so forgive the slop
Really cool. How do you sequence ?
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, 1BIT Multitap Delay, five 12 vector, dplr

User avatar
Zerius
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: BZH

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Zerius » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 am

For drums, I would highly recommend the Analog Rytm, easy to program and transfer samples nowadays compared to few years ago when it was a big pain via syssex. As someone mentioned earlier, it is nice to layer your kick ITB depending the techno you want to produce or even for live. Another important point for me is the excellent in board compressor that make your drums live and kick in the face even with gentle compression. I like to patch my kicks, drums in the modular then process them in Ableton to transfer them in the rytm.

For live I use 4 voices and multiples effects pedals all sequenced via Nerdseq.
3DF3E3D5-D6B4-4E42-A846-ACFA5E34EF56.jpeg

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 am

consumed wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm
im a simple old man. this mantis case does me right for techno jam sessions, esp with a minilogue xd off to the side...its pretty much all i need. ive rotated the penrose sequencer out with either a MI peaks or an MN function. i find many of these modules in the patch.
Argh, why do people post tiny jpegs of their MG, rather than a link? Defeats the purpose :bang:

adg672
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by adg672 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:25 am

dip_registered wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
adg672 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 am
If you’re considering the Rytm, another option is the Jomox Alphabase. Similar but different enough feature set and around the same price (a bit more). Then you get the jomox kick, Mbrane, self-oscillating filters, sampling, FM synth (4-op 6 voice - way more fun than I expected) etc.
This looks rad. This is what I’m seriously considering now 😂 probably this and a 64POD with a hermod in it, to run my modular beside alphabase. From research the alphabase can’t really control external midi hardware? Like if I got a midi to cv tool? So yeah would probably clock the hermod, which gives me a lot of control over the hardware I already have including polyphonic sequencing over midi to the DCO.

adg672 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am
If you like FM drums/percussion, the Digitone makes a really cool drum machine. Sounds great across the frequency spectrum. All the internal sounds/sequencing plus 4 ext MIDI tracks and external in so you can run the modular through its fx. Can use it as an audio interface too if that’s any use. And doesn’t always have to be drums giving you flexibility.
RYTM and Alphabase don’t have ext midi tracks do they? Wishful thinking?
They’ll both send MIDI data out from their main sequencer tracks but no dedicated MIDI channels. Having said that, you’ve got quite a few voices on each so could turn the internal sounds off on however many channels you need externally and still have similar to the Digis.

The Alpha and Rytm sound quite different so would listen to as many demos as possible and try and to get your hands on them before you buy if you go down that route. To me the Alpha has a rawer/more alive (whatever that means..) sound and the Rytm is more precise/clinical (never really gelled with its internal sounds in the same way) but that’s complete subjective. I think the MK2 added some great features (particular the ability to actually sample) that makes it more appealing, if I didn’t have a MK1 I’d be tempted.

stashole
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by stashole » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 am

Zerius wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 am
For drums, I would highly recommend the Analog Rytm, easy to program and transfer samples nowadays compared to few years ago when it was a big pain via syssex. As someone mentioned earlier, it is nice to layer your kick ITB depending the techno you want to produce or even for live. Another important point for me is the excellent in board compressor that make your drums live and kick in the face even with gentle compression. I like to patch my kicks, drums in the modular then process them in Ableton to transfer them in the rytm.

For live I use 4 voices and multiples effects pedals all sequenced via Nerdseq.

3DF3E3D5-D6B4-4E42-A846-ACFA5E34EF56.jpeg
This looks incredibly fun to play. Id love to get my hands on one of those Metasonix reverbs

User avatar
daphnid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by daphnid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 am

adg672 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:25 am
To me the Alpha has a rawer/more alive (whatever that means..) sound and the Rytm is more precise/clinical (never really gelled with its internal sounds in the same way) but that’s complete subjective.
The Rytm definitely has a dark sound to it. I've never actually met an Elektron device that had an inspiring sound right out of the gate, they take some coaxing. But the Rytm really comes alive when you start to learn how to manipulate the master compression and OD circuits. The distortion on the master fx send is really great too once you figure it out.

The Jomox devices are definitely much more wiley sounding. But the thing about the Elektrons that's said again and again is that they are all about the sequencer, and it really can't be overstated.

adg672
Common Wiggler
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by adg672 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:09 am

daphnid wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 am
adg672 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:25 am
To me the Alpha has a rawer/more alive (whatever that means..) sound and the Rytm is more precise/clinical (never really gelled with its internal sounds in the same way) but that’s complete subjective.
The Rytm definitely has a dark sound to it. I've never actually met an Elektron device that had an inspiring sound right out of the gate, they take some coaxing. But the Rytm really comes alive when you start to learn how to manipulate the master compression and OD circuits. The distortion on the master fx send is really great too once you figure it out.

The Jomox devices are definitely much more wiley sounding. But the thing about the Elektrons that's said again and again is that they are all about the sequencer, and it really can't be overstated.
This is totally right. Had pretty much the same experience with the Octatrack and A4. It’s once you get deep into the seq and p-locks they become much more interesting. Although I think the Octa gets compared to classic samplers which have plenty of character, whereas it’s pretty neutral so less obviously vibey.

The Digitone is the only one I’ve really liked sound-wise straight away.

User avatar
Zerius
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: BZH

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Zerius » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 am

daphnid wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 am
adg672 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:25 am
To me the Alpha has a rawer/more alive (whatever that means..) sound and the Rytm is more precise/clinical (never really gelled with its internal sounds in the same way) but that’s complete subjective.
The Rytm definitely has a dark sound to it. I've never actually met an Elektron device that had an inspiring sound right out of the gate, they take some coaxing. But the Rytm really comes alive when you start to learn how to manipulate the master compression and OD circuits. The distortion on the master fx send is really great too once you figure it out.

The Jomox devices are definitely much more wiley sounding. But the thing about the Elektrons that's said again and again is that they are all about the sequencer, and it really can't be overstated.
The sequencer is extremely powerful, you can get so many variations from one pattern with the probability function, the word can be a bit confusing for people who are not use to the workflow. Most of the time people think probability in term of randomness but when you get use to it, you can create tons of predictable or unpredictable variations. You can make a % chance to make a certain trigger hit or not as you can make it trigger certain bar or not. That’s very useful especially in certain repetitive genre when you want some subtle variations sometimes made by your hands otherwise by the machine itself. It also save you lots of patterns.

User avatar
Zerius
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: BZH

Re: Pictures of your techno rig for inspiration?

Post by Zerius » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:20 am

stashole wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:18 am
Zerius wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 am
For drums, I would highly recommend the Analog Rytm, easy to program and transfer samples nowadays compared to few years ago when it was a big pain via syssex. As someone mentioned earlier, it is nice to layer your kick ITB depending the techno you want to produce or even for live. Another important point for me is the excellent in board compressor that make your drums live and kick in the face even with gentle compression. I like to patch my kicks, drums in the modular then process them in Ableton to transfer them in the rytm.

For live I use 4 voices and multiples effects pedals all sequenced via Nerdseq.

3DF3E3D5-D6B4-4E42-A846-ACFA5E34EF56.jpeg
This looks incredibly fun to play. Id love to get my hands on one of those Metasonix reverbs
It’s a great one, I’m still experimenting with it and fed it with tons of signal even my own voice sometimes. I would love to try other tube based modules from Metasonix :agonizer:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”