Breaks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:37 am

Hi,
Which modules are you folks using to create breaks?
I don't mean 4 to the floor kicks but snares, cymbols and kicks or alternative sounds to create breaks.
I know random modules can be used to spurt out stuff which can then be edited.
I'm interested in the conscious placement of sounds to build the beats.
Is this even possible in the euro rack world?
Thanks

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Breaks

Post by ronnieb » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 am

Have a look into cue sets on the Squid Salmple. The erica synths sample drum does a similar thing too

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Breaks

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

What are you looking for? A sequencer that can be used for that kind of complex beats? Drum modules? Samplers that can chop up a drum loop? All of them?

cinnatoastg
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:31 am

Re: Breaks

Post by cinnatoastg » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 am

ronnieb wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 am
Have a look into cue sets on the Squid Salmple. The erica synths sample drum does a similar thing too
I haven't gotten super deep into mine, but the sampledrum isn't the most intentional way to chop breaks. You can chop them up, but as for moving through them I think your only options are forward, backward, and random. As opposed to being controlled over CV.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:20 pm
Location: Taos, NM

Re: Breaks

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:33 pm


User avatar
scragz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Breaks

Post by scragz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Bitbox is good for chopping samples and then sequencing the slices.

adg672
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Breaks

Post by adg672 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm

Zones on the assimil8tor

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Breaks

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Nerdseq + er301 :sb:

adg672
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

Re: Breaks

Post by adg672 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Nerdseq + er301 :sb:
Dude, I’d talked myself out of a 301. You’re not helping ;)

User avatar
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 15590
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: oregon
Contact:

Re: Breaks

Post by ignatius » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm

adg672 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Zones on the assimil8tor
^^this.

also, sequential switches, malekko varigate8, winter modular eloquencer.

edit: this is assimil8or and zone switching. sequenced by varigate8.


wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. Yes, after doing the resarch i'm now waiting on an Assimil8or and Eloquencer together with a switch and Logic module. Which would you say is better at swing, Pamela's or the Eowave Swing?

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 pm

ignatius wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm
adg672 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Zones on the assimil8tor
^^this.

also, sequential switches, malekko varigate8, winter modular eloquencer.

edit: this is assimil8or and zone switching. sequenced by varigate8.

Fantastic! Could Marbles do what the Noise Engineering module is doing?

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:19 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Nerdseq + er301 :sb:
Wow, these look serious. Thanks.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:20 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am
What are you looking for? A sequencer that can be used for that kind of complex beats? Drum modules? Samplers that can chop up a drum loop? All of them?
I'm going for the Assimil8or and Eloquencer.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 am
Have a look into cue sets on the Squid Salmple. The erica synths sample drum does a similar thing too
Yes, the Squid looks really fun to play with. I just can't get with the sound of it. Thank you for the tip.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks. Haven't seen this one.

wetrawlmhz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 am

Re: Breaks

Post by wetrawlmhz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

scragz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 pm
Bitbox is good for chopping samples and then sequencing the slices.
Okay thanks.

User avatar
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 15590
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: oregon
Contact:

Re: Breaks

Post by ignatius » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:51 pm

wetrawlmhz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:14 pm
ignatius wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm
adg672 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Zones on the assimil8tor
^^this.

also, sequential switches, malekko varigate8, winter modular eloquencer.

edit: this is assimil8or and zone switching. sequenced by varigate8.

Fantastic! Could Marbles do what the Noise Engineering module is doing?
thanks. i have no idea. i'm not familiar with marbles. i had 2 sets of patterns going into the NE module and then it was getting switched and blended between the 2 sets of patterns.

User avatar
daphnid
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: Breaks

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:23 pm

I mean, you can make a breakbeat with any generic drum modules and a straightforward trig sequencer. Traditionally, break oriented dance music uses samples rather than analog drum sounds.

If you want to chop breakbeat loops ala jungle music it would massively behoove you to get a sample player that does time stretch, which there are shockingly few of in eurorack seeing as how it's been standard feature of any sampler made since like 1990.

The 1010 Bitbox is one of the few that does it. Assimil8tor, Squid Sample, and Sample Drum do not.

User avatar
kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: Humboldt

Re: Breaks

Post by kingmaxwell » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Grids is one of the most straightforward break representations in eurorack.
kmro.org

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Breaks

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 pm

If you chop breaks up into slices, the Disting EX is quite nice for mapping them chromatically over a 1v/octave range so you can play them with a sequencer/arpeggiator etc.


User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Breaks

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 pm
If you chop breaks up into slices, the Disting EX is quite nice for mapping them chromatically over a 1v/octave range so you can play them with a sequencer/arpeggiator etc.

As a multisample? Single mode or dual?

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Breaks

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm
As a multisample? Single mode or dual?
The above was using SD Multisample mode. Stick them all on one channel and they choke each other for free, too.

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Breaks

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 pm
jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm
As a multisample? Single mode or dual?
The above was using SD Multisample mode. Stick them all on one channel and they choke each other for free, too.
Brilliant. Hadn't thought of using it that way! Thanks :)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: London

Re: Breaks

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 am

Can you elaborate as to what about its sound you don't gel with? cheers
wetrawlmhz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 pm
ronnieb wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 am
Have a look into cue sets on the Squid Salmple. The erica synths sample drum does a similar thing too
Yes, the Squid looks really fun to play with. I just can't get with the sound of it. Thank you for the tip.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”