Almost ready - any volunteers for beta-testing?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Almost ready - any volunteers for beta-testing?

Post by steffie268 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 am

Hello,

I don't want to spill the beans just yet but I've been doing a lot of thinking and have "a few" design concepts and ideas that I'd like to put through their paces in a real-world scenario before moving to production...
Unfortunately, I own far too few modules and patch-cables to properly test everything.
I'm looking for someone who owns a ton of gear, is EU-based, knows how to use a screwdriver and will "work" for free. Also: the ability to keep your mouth shut until official product launch...
I'm not in any position to be giving away free cases - I'll give away the (bare) key components, but the rails, most of the hardware and some of the wood will not be provided by me, at least not for free...
As there is a heavy focus on versatility and ergonomics the beta-tester will get a say in the shape/configuration of the product variant that he/she will be testing - at least to a certain degree (pun intended).
Also, don't expect things to move at the speed of light lol - I'll be taking a phased approach...
Not sure what more to say...Any questions?

Cheers!

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Almost ready - any volunteers for beta-testing?

Post by Phitar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 am

Exactly what are you wanting to get beta tested? Not really clear from your post. I'm in USA so it doesn't apply for me but you might get more volunteers with more info provided.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 am

Hey steffie268

Happy to test. Based in UK and have enough modules to try all sorts and record high quality audio/view cv output (600hp+)

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:15 am

I might be interested too - depends - quite happy to sign NDA if needed, even before deciding
I've already built a couple of cases (which this seems like it involves) although my woodworking skills are rudimentary at best
potentially thinking about the next one - something around 9u/72-84hp and reasonably deep would be perfect, although I might consider other options
I'd consider providing everything, though if I were you, even if it means charging beta testers a small fee for parts, if they keep the finished item -
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:19 am

Phitar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 am
Exactly what are you wanting to get beta tested? Not really clear from your post. I'm in USA so it doesn't apply for me but you might get more volunteers with more info provided.
More info would be good. I might be up for it, got plenty of gear to test things with.

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Troubleshooter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 am

Electronics and software engineer and synth DIY hobbyist in Belgium here with a few square meters of eurorack...

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 am

Yeah, if its a flexible case type solution I would be happy to beta test, have too many modules for my current setup, so they are currently getting neglected and I would be happy to buy the additional bits to physically build it. Am UK Based.

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 am

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies so far, keep ‘em coming ;)
I seem to have two viable candidates already but I’ll provide some clarification regardless.
I have been working on this project for a long time and every time I’m just about ready to hand my designs to the CNC people I start second-guessing everything and start all over from scratch...
In order to end my procrastination I’ll be ordering the first batch of parts on Monday :)
So yes, modular cases - cabinets to start with, portable solutions when I can afford to invest in their development.
The general idea is that anyone should be able to configure a cabinet that suits their individual needs and situation - a 6’4” person who always plays while standing or a seated 5’2” person might not want to be using identical cabinets...
By combining different side panels and connecting them it should be possible to create a huge variety of shapes and configurations and people will be able to expand or re-configure their cabinet as their system grows (or shrinks, oh, the horror lol)...
I also don’t want to put people in a position where they have to spend more than they strictly need to - if you go from 6U to 9U you should be able to re-use those rails even if they’re the “wrong” brand or type...
Before all of this begins to sound like it’s too good to be true please note that every design is a collection of compromises. In order to maximise certain aspects (ergonomics, versatility, value) concessions have been made in other areas (aesthetics, material choice,...). I might try to cater to the higher end of the market eventually but for now my focus is on the middle segment.
Some people might not care about rounded edges, others will happily sand them down themselves and others might gladly pay extra to have it done by a machine or professional craftsperson - that’s not my decision to make but in due time all those options will be offered.
Another example would be the back and underside of the cabinet - why waste resources on shipping some generic rectangular pieces of plywood when every hardware store can sell you those? Of course I’ll sell them to you if you want, but I would really prefer you to shop locally for generic parts...
As this is still the prototype phase the beta-tester(s) will receive parts as they become available and instructions on how to use them. Some of my ideas might not work for everyone (patching around the back, anyone?) so the beta-testers will have to work with them for a bit and provide me with feedback so I can ditch anything that the market isn’t ready for (lol as if my ideas can’t be bad ones)...
Okay, gotta go, busy busy busy lol...will send messages to possible testers soon...
Fingers crossed I won’t have to wait too long for the CNC work to be done...
Cheers!

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 am

steffie268 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 am
Another example would be the back and underside of the cabinet - why waste resources on shipping some generic rectangular pieces of plywood when every hardware store can sell you those? Of course I’ll sell them to you if you want, but I would really prefer you to shop locally for generic parts...
Why? Because not everyone has space for a workshop, and right now most maker spaces are closed.

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 am
steffie268 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 am
Why? Because not everyone has space for a workshop, and right now most maker spaces are closed.
If you can’t find a hardware store that will cut your plywood (plain rectangle to sit at back or bottom of case) to size then you can order it from me, but then shipping would be more expensive and more environmentally taxing (more volume and weight). Same logic applies to screws and bolts imho - of course I’ll offer them but I won’t lose any sleep over people sourcing those elsewhere...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”