Arturia Keystep: CV, USB and Clock-Connection

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

OctaState
Learning to Wiggle

Arturia Keystep: CV, USB and Clock-Connection

Post by OctaState » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 am

First poster, Eurorack-Newbie here :-)

I'm looking for a future proof possibility to connect my Computer/Ableton/MIDI-Masterkeyboard with my Modular-system via USB.
I know there are a few Interfaces like the Intellijel, Doepfer etc. with USB-capability. But I also want a clock output, which the Doepfer doesn't offer, the Intellijel is much more expensive.

After a little research I found the pricewise pretty attractive Arturia Keystep. The Arturia manual is quite inaccurate...
Is it possible to cover all theses fields (CV, USB, Clock) by a Keystep?

So that I can connect the keystep to the modular (CVs and Sync-Outs) and the Computer (USB), have clocking from Ableton via keystep to the modular and can play modular-sounds also with other MIDI-Keyboards (which are connected and configured in Ableton) via Keystep CV-Outs?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

OctaState

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Re: Arturia Keystep: CV, USB and Clock-Connection

Post by Raindeer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:36 am

OctaState wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 am
First poster, Eurorack-Newbie here :-)

I'm looking for a future proof possibility to connect my Computer/Ableton/MIDI-Masterkeyboard with my Modular-system via USB.
I know there are a few Interfaces like the Intellijel, Doepfer etc. with USB-capability. But I also want a clock output, which the Doepfer doesn't offer, the Intellijel is much more expensive.

After a little research I found the pricewise pretty attractive Arturia Keystep. The Arturia manual is quite inaccurate...
Is it possible to cover all theses fields (CV, USB, Clock) by a Keystep?

So that I can connect the keystep to the modular (CVs and Sync-Outs) and the Computer (USB), have clocking from Ableton via keystep to the modular and can play modular-sounds also with other MIDI-Keyboards (which are connected and configured in Ableton) via Keystep CV-Outs?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

OctaState

I can’t say that this is future-proofed. It totally depends which direction you go in with your other gear. But yes this will totally work and the Keystep is very popular with Eurorack owners!

Just select USB slave on the rear panel switches and then it can sync to Ableton. From there the Keystep sequencer, and arpeggiator will stay in time and ‘sync out’ works as a clock source.

And yes, you can also ‘play’ the Keystep from Ableton via USB through CV/Gate and the Midi Out (which can be configured as Midi Thru) For the latter you can get more than one voice but would need a Midi-to-CV module with multiple CV/Gates.

Or just use the Keystep itself as your sequencer. It’s pretty damn good.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

The Keystep only sends clock when it's sequencer or arpeggiator is running. Also it has no reset trigger output if you need to reset your sequencers to the first step when you stop the playback on your DAW.
Long story short: Keystep is usable as a MIDI/clock convertor but not the best solution.
Better go with a Beatstep Pro.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am
The Keystep only sends clock when it's sequencer or arpeggiator is running. Also it has no reset trigger output if you need to reset your sequencers to the first step when you stop the playback on your DAW.
Long story short: Keystep is usable as a MIDI/clock convertor but not the best solution.
Better go with a Beatstep Pro.
Yes that’s true. Sync out runs with the sequencer but Keystep continually outputs Midi Clock.

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
The Keystep only sends clock when it's sequencer or arpeggiator is running. Also it has no reset trigger output if you need to reset your sequencers (...)
I had a Keystep, and found that I could work around the first issue, but not the second.
I upgraded to Keystep Pro, which has a reset output, but I'm still using the workaround from earlier (MIDI clock master to the Keystep is split and also runs to a Ladik M-220 module) to have a clock in the rack even if the KSP isn't running. If I'm using the KSP as a master and don't have the Ladik patched in, I just let the KSP run and mute tracks, which does not stop the clock output.
I really like the KSP, but it's very much bigger and way more expensive than the Keystep, of course.

OctaState
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OctaState » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks for your inputs!

theTwiddler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theTwiddler » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:49 am

Hovmod wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am
R.U.Nuts wrote:
The Keystep only sends clock when it's sequencer or arpeggiator is running. Also it has no reset trigger output if you need to reset your sequencers (...)
I had a Keystep, and found that I could work around the first issue, but not the second.
I upgraded to Keystep Pro, which has a reset output, but I'm still using the workaround from earlier (MIDI clock master to the Keystep is split and also runs to a Ladik M-220 module) to have a clock in the rack even if the KSP isn't running. If I'm using the KSP as a master and don't have the Ladik patched in, I just let the KSP run and mute tracks, which does not stop the clock output.
I really like the KSP, but it's very much bigger and way more expensive than the Keystep, of course.
If u use the ksp as a midi to cv converter can u send midi to induvidual cv outs (like midi channel 1 = voice one in ksp and so on)?

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:52 am

If u use the ksp as a midi to cv converter can u send midi to induvidual cv outs (like midi channel 1 = voice one in ksp and so on)?
Yes. You can route individual midi channels to separate tracks in the keystep pro and then route each track to a different cv/gate out combo.

Would be an elaborate solution if that’s all you wanted the ksp for though.

theTwiddler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theTwiddler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:34 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:52 am
Yes. You can route individual midi channels to separate tracks in the keystep pro and then route each track to a different cv/gate out combo.

Would be an elaborate solution if that’s all you wanted the ksp for though.
I want to use the sequqncer of the ksp but i need a midi to cv converter too cause i wanna use my elektron mashines or my mpc with my modular. Still looing for the right combination of sequencers.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”