Autechre - recreate on Eurorack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Autechre - recreate on Eurorack?

Post by lyesmel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Autechres new record 'SIGN' is out today. Loving it so far - my favourite thing I've heard from them in some time !

I know they are more sample/Max MSP based, but being newish to modular and interested in exploring such sounds, I'm curious how one might go about creating such things on Eurorack. Seems some how like it might be easier to achive with complex sample triggering and manipulation more so than synthesis.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Autechre - recreate on Eurorack?

Post by mritenburg » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Listening to just the first few seconds you could do that with a Morphagene, Clouds, Wogglebug and an Erbeverb. That’s not your only option, but one easy way using common eurorack modules.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

a loose reference

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 pm

I’ve gotten Autechre-ish madness from Plaits by skipping around the models in a somewhat controlled but frantic way.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm

How to recreate the whole album? That is a rather wast question. :)

I hear samples, tons of effects, chords. Just in the first track. I'd never try to do anything like this using nothing but eurorack. I'd take 1000 hp and ages. To me, a DAW would be superior for this type of polished, complex and experimental sound.
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lyesmel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm
hah ! I mean just how to create some general Autechre-ish random madness. Agree that a DAW might be superior for this sort of thing but the fun is in the challenge of recreating on Eurorack.
mritenburg wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm
Listening to just the first few seconds you could do that with a Morphagene, Clouds, Wogglebug and an Erbeverb. That’s not your only option, but one easy way using common eurorack modules.
Thanks ! Morphagene and Wogglebug are both on my wishlist. Wogglebug seems a bit random (excuse the pun) to me, to the point where I'm not sure what it could add. I have a Maths already so I guess much like the Maths, which was a total mystery to me before owning, I just need to get my hands on it to make sense of it.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:11 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm

I hear samples, tons of effects, chords. Just in the first track. I'd never try to do anything like this using nothing but eurorack. I'd take 1000 hp and ages. To me, a DAW would be superior for this type of polished, complex and experimental sound.
This. While there’s likely some probability/generative stuff happening it’s far from random and they’ll probably be able to play versions of the album live so have some level of recall - it’s a big task in Max, in modular it’d be huge

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm

hah ! I mean just how to create some general Autechre-ish random madness. Agree that a DAW might be superior for this sort of thing but the fun is in the challenge of recreating on Eurorack.

[/quote]

Samplers/granular/wavetable modules would be a good place to start :) for modulation, random sources if you want the unexpected or deeply programmable modulators like the Control Forge if you want to get into detail - or both

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Thanks ! Morphagene and Wogglebug are both on my wishlist. Wogglebug seems a bit random (excuse the pun) to me
The clock out and pulse burst outputs on the wogglebug are great for steady clock duties and glitch bursts at the same time. They do a lot to help structure complex sequences with both rhythmic and random bursts.

Here’s one example:

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Just make bass pads running at 4 and random ticks at 16 instant ae. Just be emotional bass notes.

xidnpnlss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xidnpnlss » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

When I listen I can somewhat discern a steady clock throughout and gates, envelopes and LFOs being triggered by super arbitrary divisions of that clock. I think it's less random than it is divided a bajillion times. I expect too they are manually controlling gates and macros when it feels right (they talk about having over 750 hours of "jams"...the live shows are all essentially the same tracks, different jams...some jams work, some don't).

When it comes down to it it's the same resources we have available to us. It's just arranged expertly and with a ton of work involved.
FS: Moog Mother 32, Yamaha SPX-900

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm

I sound like Autechre all the time when it comes to sound design in my Eurorack. But do I have the soul or the composition/editing/programming/production skills to *finish* something that sounds like Autechre? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no :alien:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

lyesmel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lyesmel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm

22tape wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm
https://www.tmsynthesis.com/
wow this looks insane !

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:55 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm
22tape wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm
https://www.tmsynthesis.com/
wow this looks insane !
Literally just ordered one this morning, and CANNOT wait.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 pm

I occasionally do some Autechre adjacent stuff, or more in general IDM stuff. For me it's all about creative use of probability, clock divisions, sequential switches, logic modules etc. and definitely doable in Eurorack. It's also important to get creative with effects, parallel processing and multi band processing.

Also definitely check out the FLUX. Here's a quick patch I did with it when I first got it:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 pm

oh god. Don't make me want another sequencer!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: CV.OCD / Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:07 pm

rayultine wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm
I sound like Autechre all the time when it comes to sound design in my Eurorack. But do I have the soul or the composition/editing/programming/production skills to *finish* something that sounds like Autechre? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no :alien:
Lol this rings so true. The first synth I bought around 2000 was a Nord Lead because I had heard it was used extensively on LP5 and I was a huge Autechre fan in the late 90s. But fuck if I could get that thing to do anything close to sounding like them at the time. With all the crazy gear out now, and esp in eurorack, it's so much easier to get Ae sounding stuff but the patience and instinct it takes to edit it into something that good is still beyond me. They meticulously edit their tracks down from hour long jams and I just don't have the mindset for that.

There's also the issue that trying to sound like Autechre just makes you sound like C-rate Autechre. It's always a losing battle.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Heh, I got a Juno 106 and an R70 because I read that is what a lot of Amber was made with. I never sounded like Autechre either, and in some ways I also never sounded as good as I did when I had those two pieces of gear.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 pm

rayultine wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 pm
and in some ways I also never sounded as good as I did when I had those two pieces of gear.
Truth!

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 pm

I’m liking this album but it sounds much tamer and mellow compared to their earlier stuff. I haven’t heard anything they’ve done since Exai so maybe they’ve been going this direction for a while. It’s great to hear them going in a new direction while maintaining their identity. Cool album.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Some sort of synced random pattern generator driven by a CV'd clock divider will get you in the ball park. Then add some synced lfo's driven by other clock dividers based on the same clock to control parameters like decay, will get you even closer. Of course, to make a full track via live modular multitracking would be a mind meld of a patch. It's much easier to do it in single takes, then do the detail editing/arranging in your workstation of choice.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 pm

rayultine wrote:
Heh, I got a Juno 106 and an R70 because I read that is what a lot of Amber was made with. I never sounded like Autechre either, and in some ways I also never sounded as good as I did when I had those two pieces of gear.
Yeah there's something about having just a couple machines you know inside and out, combined with having the naivety of a fledgling maker of music.

Also, Autechre still apparently rely heavily on the Nord Modular environments, and as mentioned Max (which is about as modular as it gets). They've been working with these platforms for over 2 decades and I would love to see the gory details of how they set these up. They did release a file of one of their Nord patches a while ago, which seems like a good place to learn how Autechre would patch a modular, but I don't think you'll really be able to glean how it works unless you have a Nord G2 to load it into, which is going to cost you a few thousand dollars.

You can see it running here, and just listening to the patch really shows you how much work goes into editing and processing this stuff to turn it into an Autechre track. I mean it just kind of sounds like when I throw a bunch of random CV at an Akemie's Taiko, which is an extremely Auteche-ish eurorack module btw, and is a perfect example of how easy it is to get these types of sounds with the gear that's become available over the years. When Autechre started out they were abusing commercial gear to get insane sounds out of it that were never intended. Then people who grew up listening to them started making gear that made that sound the manifest goal of their products.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm

daphnid wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 pm
rayultine wrote:
Yeah there's something about having just a couple machines you know inside and out, combined with having the naivety of a fledgling maker of music.

Also, Autechre still apparently rely heavily on the Nord Modular environments, and as mentioned Max (which is about as modular as it gets). They've been working with these platforms for over 2 decades and I would love to see the gory details of how they set these up. They did release a file of one of their Nord patches a while ago, which seems like a good place to learn how Autechre would patch a modular, but I don't think you'll really be able to glean how it works unless you have a Nord G2 to load it into, which is going to cost you a few thousand dollars.

You can see it running here, and just listening to the patch really shows you how much work goes into editing and processing this stuff to turn it into an Autechre track. I mean it just kind of sounds like when I throw a bunch of random CV at an Akemie's Taiko, which is an extremely Auteche-ish eurorack module btw, and is a perfect example of how easy it is to get these types of sounds with the gear that's become available over the years. When Autechre started out they were abusing commercial gear to get insane sounds out of it that were never intended. Then people who grew up listening to them started making gear that made that sound the manifest goal of their products.

the made available a chunk of data and programs/patches a few years ago. it was stuff they used on tour for a handful of years. the G2 patches, MPC1000 programs, elektron MD/MnM data and some samples.

Sean said he doesn't have any hardware anymore and only uses his laptop and max and other assorted software.. max for live devices for remix work etc. I think Rob has all the hardware or something and some other friends of theirs have things on permanent loan and stuff. they talked about it some in the mixlr chats from the streaming stuff they did at the start of the pandemic. also, in the ask autechre anything on WATMM has lot's of info if someone wants to go down the rabbit hole.

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa ... -on-watmm/

for getting the lush Ae stuff in eurorack i'd go w/some nice reverb that has some tonal shaping built in. pitch shifting type reverb tails, nice filters bubbley fm type stuff etc. chords..for the current album SIGN there's a lot of layers and hidden stuff in the mix.

the new album is very lush and full of polysynth type stuff which is hard to emulate in eurorack but w/a good sampler a good sequencer you can do a lot.

xidnpnlss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xidnpnlss » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 am

The chords on SIGN are very reminiscent of things I get from Audio Damage Continua app (also in VST). Really nice sounding app. All kinds of shifting, modulated harmonics.
FS: Moog Mother 32, Yamaha SPX-900

Rudloe
Common Wiggler

Post by Rudloe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:15 am

NoLegs wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 pm
I occasionally do some Autechre adjacent stuff, or more in general IDM stuff. For me it's all about creative use of probability, clock divisions, sequential switches, logic modules etc. and definitely doable in Eurorack. It's also important to get creative with effects, parallel processing and multi band processing.

Also definitely check out the FLUX. Here's a quick patch I did with it when I first got it:

Very nice.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”