New Veils vs Tangle Quartet

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

analogtones
1-Post Wiggler

New Veils vs Tangle Quartet

Post by analogtones » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I’m pretty new to the game and in need of VCAs/Mixer. I’m leaning towards the new Veils with all its features (exponential vs linear, drive, etc, but I was wondering if it mixes control voltage like the Tangle Quartet?

Are there any other pluses/minuses between the two that I may not be considering?

Thanks for your help!

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Re: New Veils vs Tangle Quartet

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Veils can mix control voltages and they use the same VCA IC (2164).

Veils has daisy-chained outputs which means you can combine any output with the one below it by leaving the output unpatched whereas Tangle Quartet offers individual outs as well as a mix out that combines unpatched channels.

Personally, I can't see any reason to choose the Tangle Quartet over Veils other than size but maybe someone else can offer some insight.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:11 pm

For me it’s Veils all the way. Veils v2 is out now and it has added offset as well as being 10HP vs 12. Plus Veils actually amplifies.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Tangle Quartet is a solid, proven VCA. I don’t think Veils—new or old—is an argument to NOT buy a Tangle Quartet, and I won’t be ditching mine for Veils. I’m neither a fan of short throw sliders nor a fan of trimmers in place of knobs. (Not that the knobs on the Tangle Quartet are any ergonomic miracle—they’re kind of tight.) VCAs are important—and I have a lot of them—but I don’t suppose I find them particularly interesting.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:33 am

For me it is Tangle Quartet all the way (have two TQ and one v1 Veils that I don't use).
If you want to use it as a mixer, I find TQ more flexible, as it has a dedicated mix-out.
You can at any time chose to take one of the sources out of the mix, by taking it out of one of the indiviual outputs to add envelope etc.
I find this solution superior to the daisy chain solution.

So although the offset on the new Veils is nice, I will still lose the TQ.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 am

I notice ALM has been putting out Tangle Quartet videos on instagram recently. Might be worth a look. Looks like a great module.

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:12 am

Check the Intellijel Quad VCA too, good features and sounds nice driven

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:51 am

Veils being able to manage +20dB is a godsend if you suddenly need more channels of line level into the rack- it means you don't need a load of dedicated "in" modules. I really like that low friction approach when I want to bring non-euro instruments into the patch.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:33 am

+1

Veils mk2 is also particularly useful if you are planning to add Disting EX at any point as it can be rather quiet in multisample playback mode. It’s allowed me to get rid of a dedicated input module which is perfect in a small system when every hp counts

bobthesalesclerk
1-Post Wiggler

Post by bobthesalesclerk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Heroin_Bath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Heroin_Bath » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:07 pm

jbrandtp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:33 am
For me it is Tangle Quartet all the way (have two TQ and one v1 Veils that I don't use).
If you want to use it as a mixer, I find TQ more flexible, as it has a dedicated mix-out.
You can at any time chose to take one of the sources out of the mix, by taking it out of one of the indiviual outputs to add envelope etc.

So although the offset on the new Veils is nice, I will still lose the TQ.
I went with TQ for the mix out. I have plenty of ways to attenuate my CV signal and don't need it built in(although it would be nice).

houndington
Learning to Wiggle

Post by houndington » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 am

TQ is a great VCA. I'm about to buy my second one. I really like how easy it is to patch sources in and out of a mix due to its internal routing.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:17 am

Can anyone speak to how the v2 Veils overdrives?

I played with the v1 Veils, and I found it cleaner than the Intellijel Quad, which I grabbed at the time for the overdriven character. It's been a while since then, though, and there's no opportunity to get into a shop now and play with it myself.

The offset control, the smaller form factor, and high gain of Veils is making it look very attractive right now.

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squallaz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:13 pm

You have no reason to chose to TQ over Veils other then size. Veils has daisy chained outs, can vary his response from linear to exponential and has a lot of gain (even more than the Intellijel quad VCA which is also a good module).

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 pm

jbrandtp wrote:
A single TQ can't do a 2 and 2 mix, such as if one wishes to combine two stereo sources. OTOH, unless you need to remove sources from the mix in the middle of a performance, Veils can produce the same mix as TQ. You just have to re-order the sources at the inputs to get it.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 pm

mrhooks wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 pm
jbrandtp wrote:
A single TQ can't do a 2 and 2 mix, such as if one wishes to combine two stereo sources. OTOH, unless you need to remove sources from the mix in the middle of a performance, Veils can produce the same mix as TQ. You just have to re-order the sources at the inputs to get it.
Yes, it was exactly in live-situations that I found TQ flexible and Veils clumsy, because you have to have the patching planned from the start. Rearranging Veils in the middle of a live-situation is not funny.
I am a live-patching type - I know not everyone is...
As I said, I have a Veils (v 1) and daisy chaining does not work for me.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”