Calibrate Plaits?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tdutz
Common Wiggler

Calibrate Plaits?

Post by tdutz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Hey,
I'm needing to calibrate Plaits. It wants to see 1volt and 3volts during the process. Has anyone here tried using the utility mode in Ornament and Crime for this? I've read the O_C manual but it doesn't make much sense to me as to how to output reference voltages.
Also open to any other ideas . . .
Cheers!
trevor

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Calibrate Plaits?

Post by Zymos » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm

O+C is perfect for this. The app is called References. All you need to do is turn a channel to the voltage you want- just pick octave then you’ll go up by 1 volt increments.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 pm

If you are trying to calibrate the pitch tracking of the Plaits module, I assume you must have some device that you plan to use for sending standard 12 steps per octave CV signal to the Plaits. Why not just use that?

Do you have a 1V per octave keyboard? Or a midi keyboard and midi to CV converter? Those will work.

You could also use the output of a quantizer.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 pm

... because he already has something that can be set to output specific voltages, instead of trying to guess which C note on a keyboard or whatever is putting out 1V....
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:15 am

I misread this thread topic as “Celibate Plants?”

I thought I was going to have a lot to contribute to this thread, but I guess I’ll just move along.

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 am

Yeah the MI stuff generally asks for a 1v >3v calibration routine.
As mentioned above, use the References app to select +1 oct (1v) on a channel, connect the relevant channel's output to your Plaits, follow the procedure as outlined, then change References to +3 oct (3v) for the channel to finish the procedure.
YMMV depending on how well calibrated the O_c module is. If you know it's been properly calibrated using a precision multimeter, then you're good to go.

tdutz
Common Wiggler

Post by tdutz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone! I think I got it figured out. Ornament & Crime Reference mode worked like a charm once I guessed that note C0 outputs 1volt CV. I was previously using note A1 = 1volt based on Wikipedia's entry for control voltage 'standards'. But that didn't seem right after doing the calibration because Plaits' frequency range seemed way too low. The bottom quarter of the freq knob swing was below the sub audible level, and the upper maximum was likely only in the 3-5Khz range or so. Using C0 = 1volt sets Plaits' freq range right at sub audible at the lower limit, and near dog whistle range (piercingly high) at the upper end.
I'm just going by ear instead of doing it the right way with a mutimeter, and I don't know how well the O_c is calibrated, but seeing as how I'll have to re-tune Plaits anyway to my other oscillators in a musical context I'm happy with the result.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Zymos wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 pm
... because he already has something that can be set to output specific voltages, instead of trying to guess which C note on a keyboard or whatever is putting out 1V....
For others who may be reading but don't have an O & C module, you can quickly tell which note on the keyboard is outputting zero volts just by plugging & unplugging the KYBD's 1V/oct signal from the OSCS's 1V/oct input. The note on the keyboard that results in no pitch change is putting out zero volts. One octave higher is 1V. No guessing needed.

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:03 pm

tdutz wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:48 pm
Thanks for the good suggestions everyone! I think I got it figured out. Ornament & Crime Reference mode worked like a charm once I guessed that note C0 outputs 1volt CV. I was previously using note A1 = 1volt based on Wikipedia's entry for control voltage 'standards'. But that didn't seem right after doing the calibration because Plaits' frequency range seemed way too low. The bottom quarter of the freq knob swing was below the sub audible level, and the upper maximum was likely only in the 3-5Khz range or so. Using C0 = 1volt sets Plaits' freq range right at sub audible at the lower limit, and near dog whistle range (piercingly high) at the upper end.
I'm just going by ear instead of doing it the right way with a mutimeter, and I don't know how well the O_c is calibrated, but seeing as how I'll have to re-tune Plaits anyway to my other oscillators in a musical context I'm happy with the result.
I think you may also have Plaits set up for a different range. There are instructions in the manual to set the range to low-focused, high-focused or full-range. I'm guessing yours is set to the last. It's easy to change but I don't remember the button you need to press off the top of my head.
Last edited by bawbag on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Adjusting the FREQUENCY knob range
Hold the second button (A) and turn the HARMONICS knob to adjust the range of the FREQUENCY knob. The first 8 settings correspond to C0 +/- 7 semitones, C1 +/- 7 semitones, and so on. The last setting, with all LEDs lit, corresponds to the full 8-octave range from C0 to C8.

The second button is the top right one. Hope that helps!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”