Im not enjoying my Plague bearer as much as I'd have hoped...Replacement?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

stashole
Learning to Wiggle

Im not enjoying my Plague bearer as much as I'd have hoped...Replacement?

Post by stashole » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for a filter that could serve as a solid replacement for my plague bearer in the same HP or smaller?
I just got a WMD C4rbn, which is much more up my alley, more controllable, and so much more packed into the small size. Plague bearer is fun, but its resonance is so recognizable every time I hear it, and its not my favourite. Its wonderful on its own, but for a case where I'm trying to be as efficient as possible with my hp for playing live, its not great for typical subtractive stuff.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Re: Im not enjoying my Plague bearer as much as I'd have hoped...Replacement?

Post by Pyrrhix » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 pm

If you want something else that can get dirty and distorted but is also more usable as a standard filter, you might like a Polivoks-based VCF like the ones from Erica Synths or The Harvestman.

cinnatoastg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cinnatoastg » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:24 pm

stashole wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:00 pm
its not great for typical subtractive stuff.
Schlappi 100 grit can go from insane distortion with multiple feedback paths to very tame standard filter sounds. It has a built in VCA as well.

Edit: bigger though

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Polivoks would be great, if you like it grungy and can track one down consider the version from Uoki Toki (I think he has a dual in 4 hp). Alternative could be Three Tom MS-22 but I haven’t had a chance to try it out myself
WTB:
Malekko/Wiard Oscillator (Gargoyles),
Sputnik Dual Oscillator,
Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF,
Macro Machines Storage Strip,
Intellijel FlipFlop,
Bastl SoftPop

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm

I think plague bearer is meant to mutilate and destroy your signal rather than simply filter it! Unique

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 pm

I found PB useless in a filter application. I think of it more like a FSU mixer channel, with preamp and hi-lo shelving eq. It only really shined for me doing no-input patches, and it's not currently in my rack. Envelope follower played great with it too!

The original Pittsburgh Filter is worth a look, if you can find one. It's a very capable SEM style filter otherwise, with VCQ. Running signal through it in self-osc mode is totally disgusting. A Wasp clone might do the trick, too, the Pitts is both cleaner and crazier, but doesn't get the middle ground in the same way the wasp does.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 pm

+1 for Doepfer Wasp. Fun little filter with an interesting dirtiness to it while maintaining ease of controllability, and cheap!
And if your PSU can handle it: Metasonix RK4! Can get you into Plague Bearer-ish territories with emphasizing certain frequencies and distorting the hell out of them, but cleans up nicely to be used as a bandpass filter or parametric booster.

stashole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stashole » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Im not a huge fan of the wasp, have used it in my friend's case and my C4rbn covers the same territories so much better. Polivoks filter might be a good idea, I really love Erica Synths big knobs for playability, they're so damn smooth

Return to “Eurorack Modules”