Studio Electronics Quadnic vs Doepfer A-111-4 vs 4x any oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Andy137
Common Wiggler

Studio Electronics Quadnic vs Doepfer A-111-4 vs 4x any oscillator

Post by Andy137 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 am

I returned to question of 4 voice polyphony in eurorack. And have 2 contenders. Quadnic and A-111-4. Purpose is chord sequences or long chord pads. Quadnic is cheaper, so it's easy to buy earlier. Doepfer looks more flexible but has less waveforms. Also it has the whole infrastructure (Poly VCF, Poly VCA, Poly VC envelopes... And there's a simple alternative (the rack space desn't matter) - 4 oscillator (for example Dreadbox Hysteria). So what would you choose if the price is a strong factor?

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Studio Electronics Quadnic vs Doepfer A-111-4 vs 4x any oscillator

Post by tvparcable » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:30 am

It depends how much you value the presence of independent vca etc per oscillator - I always thought the Doepfer was very intriguing, plus I always read that Doepfer VCOs track very well. If it's for chords you could also look into the Qubit Chord 2. You can use the VCOs independently as well, and it had the massive benefit of making your life super easy for pitch cv: you can e.g. set it to a minor scale and it will play all chords in that scale with the cv you send it being the root, instead of always the same chord but with a different pitch (house music style). This method will make the workflow easier and save you a ton of hp in terms of sequencers. I ended up selling mine because I realized I just don't necessarily use chords that much and I didn't really like the LED color-code workflow, but I do miss it sometimes.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 am

Andy137 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 am
I returned to question of 4 voice polyphony in eurorack. And have 2 contenders. Quadnic and A-111-4. Purpose is chord sequences or long chord pads. Quadnic is cheaper, so it's easy to buy earlier. Doepfer looks more flexible but has less waveforms. Also it has the whole infrastructure (Poly VCF, Poly VCA, Poly VC envelopes... And there's a simple alternative (the rack space desn't matter) - 4 oscillator (for example Dreadbox Hysteria). So what would you choose if the price is a strong factor?
Perhaps this is just my emotive reaction! But... Identical Quad VCO + Quad VCF + Quad VCA with Quad EG would seem a bit dull considering the possibilities available.

Polyphony with non-identical voices is pretty fun too and I think that’s the big strength of eurorack vs an off-the-shelf synth. So instead of 4x Hysteria perhaps consider four totally different cheap VCOs.

On the rest, I think multiple Envelopes and VCAs is important (assuming you have a separate trigger or gate per voice). But perhaps for VCFs and Effects just something interesting in stereo is enough.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Own Quadnic and Chord 2. No history with that particular Doepfer module though. For chords and pads I prefer the Qu bit Chord 2.
Quadnic can do poly fine but takes more prep time for tuning.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:23 am

I've been stuck on the fence for a while now, albeit a slightly different one.

I was thinking abotut the a-111-4 but then thought how having 4 waveforms isn't really that fun. You could get something like two Klavis twin waves which have all the standard waves plus much more, for not much more than the 111-4. Okay they're not as instant and controllable and analog, but that doesn't matter too much to me. Having the ability to have your root note a nice deep saw or square for the chunkiness, then the middle and top waves something else can give a nice shimmer, especially if you then just route the higher pitch notes to a delay/reverb, but not the root. Or any other effects.

The more i think about it the less i want the a-111-4 (even though i want both) and going digital for some of the make up of the chord just give you more flexibility

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:42 am

I had the Quadnic. Very interesting sounds but I hated it due to having to 'set it up from scratch' each time I turned the synth on and this was by no means a trivial operation. YMMV. I settled on 2 x Klavis Twin Waves - that pair is a whole lot of quad oscillator in just 16hp. Again YMMV. I teamed them up with a Caltrans and Mixwitch.

:cat2:

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:10 am

A pair of Twin Waves do hit what I feel is a really nice sweet spot for this and other duties. 4HP per VCO, good waveform selection, some deeper features if you want to use them (though I rarely do,) and they offer great flexibility for when you aren’t in need of them for chords. People for some reason fear that they are divey I don’t find them to be that way at all, especially when using them for chord duty, as tuning, waveform selection and adjustment are not divey and are usually about as far as I need to go.

When I want to use the Twin Waves for other things, I also have a Supercritical Demon Core (with expander) which is absolutely fantastic for huge super saws (and square wave duty too, though it really comes into its own when in saw mode.) 1-16 note polyphony over MIDI or 1-4 over CV, you can allocate from 1 to 16 oscillators per note as you please, really great features for thickening the sound, and it even has internal (optional!) ADSRs and VCAs per note. Put even a simple filter downstream of it and you’re off to the races. If the price makes you balk, know that it can at times and in places be found discounted well.

(If those two are tied up then I can even bring my Edges (Threshold to be more accurate) to bear on the problem though I generally try to keep it free for other things.)

sd_falter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sd_falter » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 pm

RichyHo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:42 am
I had the Quadnic. Very interesting sounds but I hated it due to having to 'set it up from scratch' each time I turned the synth on and this was by no means a trivial operation.
Phitar wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 pm
Quadnic can do poly fine but takes more prep time for tuning.

There is actually a way you can get all 4 voices set up for chords super quickly (under 10secs) if you have the V2 firmware. Shame it isn't actually documented anywhere.

Basically you set osc 1 to all zero settings, then goto the alternate master mode and everything is synced to master tune/level. (Alternate master is all 4 oscs lights on and the master light slowly glowing)

It's dumb and they should've just had all 4 oscs default to an identical setup but it does work and makes it a way less infuriating module to work with polyphonically.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”