Using only random/sampe and hold as a sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

Using only random/sampe and hold as a sequencer

Post by jadrowsky88 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 am

This is my current setup, I have only marbles as main sequencer, wogglebug as random, batumi, maths for modulation.

What I think I lack is a sequencer/sample and hold, would it be possible to create convincing melodic sequences with just a series of sample and hold and track and holds modules? would I need a quantizer for them?

Since I don't have so much melodic skills, I would like to try to tame a random module rather than using a complex sequencer and eventually not using its full potential.
Attachments
af928sb.JPG

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Re: Using only random/sampe and hold as a sequencer

Post by Raindeer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:26 am

Since you have Marbles it seems like you have the random melodic sequencing covered already?

But yes for sure, adding a quantiser (say, Pico quant) will add another source of melody - perhaps send outputs from Wogglebug to it. Or a complex envelope, or mix of two LFOs... etc etc...

I would say though that you don’t need melodic skills to use a traditional sequencer. Just twiddle the knobs until something interesting comes out. Or something like Qubit Bloom will allow you to EITHER dial in exact sequences OR generate something for you.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 am

I created this thread, worth reading, lot of advices :

Best random generator for musical phrases
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

jadrowsky88 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 am
Since I don't have so much melodic skills, I would like to try to tame a random module rather than using a complex sequencer and eventually not using its full potential.
One option would be to use some kind of semi-random generative CV sequencer. Something like Qu-Bit Bloom, Vermona Melodicer, TINRS Tuesday, or omsonic Stochastic Inspiration Generator.

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:31 am

Arneb wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm
jadrowsky88 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:47 am
One option would be to use some kind of semi-random generative CV sequencer. Something like Qu-Bit Bloom, Vermona Melodicer, TINRS Tuesday, or omsonic Stochastic Inspiration Generator.
Many thanks for recommending my little module! If it's any help, here's Stochastic's user manual to help you get a sense of what it can do: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sp2 ... fehk17l2yu
omsonic Stochastic // dBs Music Modular Research Group
Save the world entire: go vegan –– phinland.net/vegan

Return to “Eurorack Modules”