WMD SCLPL

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

vraufen
Common Wiggler

WMD SCLPL

Post by vraufen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Didn't find a dedicated thread... does anyone have one of these yet?

Interested in picking on up as both a master EQ and to EQ my samples before recording them into my SALMPLE.

Does it colour the sound much, do the gain/reduction/Q work well or is it a bit hard to dial in?

oliodnb
Common Wiggler

Re: WMD SCLPL

Post by oliodnb » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:29 am

I own one that I mainly use as an end of chain EQ.
To me it doesn't sound like it colors the sound much, it takes a while to get used to the controls to dial in the EQ curve you want but it does the job.
The main drawback to the interface is that using the same three pots for every band you have them in the "right" position only relative to the last band you edited, but I'd say that in 4 HP it's inevitable.

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 am

I have 2 voices in my case, and then 8 drum tracks. Since my drum samples are EQ'd when I make them, would it make more sense to have the SCLPL working as two mono EQs, one on each voice, or as an end of chain EQ?

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pm

So I picked one of these up - definitely does not colour sound whatsoever. SCLPL is a very good name because it is indeed easy to cut out frequencies with clean precision. The interface is super intuitive, easy to understand and use. I hadn't anticipated using the morphing aspect much but actually I think it will lead to interesting sound design. Great job WMD!

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Can SCLPL be updated? If so, I'd like to suggest that in Edit mode, the CV inputs control frequency (either stereo or dual mono, similar to how they work in Morph Mode), rather than being disabled. I'm sure many would disagree with this change, so perhaps it could be an option one could choose to enable/disable?

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:29 pm

How would you choose what band you are controlling the frequency of?

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 pm

vraufen wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:29 pm
Whichever one is currently active for editing.

I presume CV is disabled in Edit Mode because you typically wouldn't want the frequency modulated while you are dialing in your EQ. However, I'd love to have the option to modulate the frequency of the active band so I can use SCLPL somewhat like a standard filter in Edit Mode.

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:55 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 pm
vraufen wrote:

I presume CV is disabled in Edit Mode because you typically wouldn't want the frequency modulated while you are dialing in your EQ. However, I'd love to have the option to modulate the frequency of the active band so I can use SCLPL somewhat like a standard filter in Edit Mode.
All bands are active at any time in edit mode, depending on their gain settings. if gain is 0, then the band is effective inactive.

Having the CV do this would be incredibly confusing, and would make "editing" a band impossible. What would you save? the knob position or the knob + the CV? It's too much. Trust me, we thought through these scenarios.

You can simply use morph mode to have two presets with a single band active (gained somewhere), with different frequencies, and then use CV to morph between them.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Fair enough; thanks for the response. It’s a great little module. I can appreciate your desire to keep things simple and intuitive.

ryjtyj
Learning to Wiggle

Pinging Sclpl

Post by ryjtyj » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:21 am

Hi. Is it possible to ping it?
I assume yes, to certain degree...
Can anybody make a demo of pinging it? Thanks!

sps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sps » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm

WMDevices wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:55 pm
xxeyes wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 pm
vraufen wrote:

All bands are active at any time in edit mode, depending on their gain settings. if gain is 0, then the band is effective inactive.

Having the CV do this would be incredibly confusing, and would make "editing" a band impossible. What would you save? the knob position or the knob + the CV? It's too much. Trust me, we thought through these scenarios.

You can simply use morph mode to have two presets with a single band active (gained somewhere), with different frequencies, and then use CV to morph between them.
Not to argue, since it's clearly out of scope for your conception of the module, but I think how I'd approach the proposed feature form a UX perspective would be to say that in EDIT mode holding BAND and pressing MORPH marks/unmarks the current band as V/Oct CV-sensitive. What is stored is the setting of the knob and the setting of this new switch.

What you'd lose is the ability to morph this preset meaningfully (well—unless you had some hybrid mode where MORPH A becomes a global morph and MORPH B becomes a global V/Oct, but, uh…). What you'd gain is… well, some different applications that want more precise and/or wider tracking than the morphing solution provides.

I'd certainly play with it if it existed, but, if you are confident that this is a morphing EQ and not a multiband filter, I believe you.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:42 pm

I use it to shape 2 synth voices. Works well, if a little bit fiddly. But that’s the trade off for the small hp

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Totally different format, intended use, and price, but curious how this would compare to other surgical EQs like the Neve 551

I'd love similar response in a eurorack format. Everything that WMD makes is so good.
I'm on Kickstarter this month - GET A COPY, FELLOW WIGGLER FRIEND! - You'll love it.

Lest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lest » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am

Did anyone installed it in a Mantis case? Does it fit?

woetjo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by woetjo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Lest wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am
Looking at the technical info on the SCLPL and the Mantis cases. The SCLPL is 38mm deep. The Mantis can take 61mm on the bottom row and 50mm on the top row, so I would say it fits.

Lest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lest » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 pm

woetjo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Lest wrote:
Looking at the technical info on the SCLPL and the Mantis cases. The SCLPL is 38mm deep. The Mantis can take 61mm on the bottom row and 50mm on the top row, so I would say it fits.
Thanks for checking, I didn't thought the dimensions are usually specified in manuals :doh:

The depth is usually pretty good with the Mantis. What I'm afraid of is the length, the C4RBN barely fit and the MSCL requires the PCBs to be reworked a bit. Unfortunately this info isn't specified in the manual.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 am

Lest wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 pm
The depth is usually pretty good with the Mantis. What I'm afraid of is the length, the C4RBN barely fit and the MSCL requires the PCBs to be reworked a bit. Unfortunately this info isn't specified in the manual.
True. My MSCL does not fit into the Mantis. I am hesitant to sand the pcb thus Installed the MSCL in my Doepfer rack instead of the Mantis.

woetjo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by woetjo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Lest wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 pm
woetjo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Lest wrote:
Thanks for checking, I didn't thought the dimensions are usually specified in manuals :doh:

Now you mention it... I recently put a C4RBN in the top row of my Mantis and it was a supertight fit.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”