Which Joystick brings you joy?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Bubbles
Common Wiggler

Which Joystick brings you joy?

Post by Bubbles » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:03 pm

I want to know how you’re using your joystick controller for modular. Do you prefer a joystick that “springs back” to center like the Befaco Joystick, or do you prefer one that “stays put” like the Intellijel Planar?

Let’s discuss.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Which Joystick brings you joy?

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Absolutely prefer no spring in mine. But i'll take a spring return to center stick over a stick that slowly moves down if it's at a 45 degree or larger angle.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:54 pm

No springs attached ;)

Planar 2 is pretty fantastic.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:15 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:08 pm
Absolutely prefer no spring in mine. But i'll take a spring return to center stick over a stick that slowly moves down if it's at a 45 degree or larger angle.
As I get further past age 65, this sounds so familiar.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Jumbuktu wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:15 pm
Can't say Iv'e tried it yet, but a friend told me that in case of no spring, a plug in the bottom jack helps keep the joystick at center.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm

no spring, and my joystick is a Planar 2. Unbeatable. So may functions and possibilities with it. Can’t beat the ‘sense’ gate, and the feel of it is perfect. Stays where you leave it, not too loose, not too stiff.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

VibratingMotorGate
Common Wiggler

Post by VibratingMotorGate » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:49 pm

Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:23 pm
Jumbuktu wrote:
Can't say Iv'e tried it yet, but a friend told me that in case of no spring, a plug in the bottom jack helps keep the joystick at center.
why am I stuck with this god-awful username?!!!!!

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 pm

the new Doepfer joystick looks cool
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 pm

VibratingMotorGate wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:49 pm
Jumbuktu wrote:
why am I stuck with this god-awful username?!!!!!
If only we could have switched names earlier! My ex loved motors way more than my electrophone :waah:
mmelnick wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 pm
the new Doepfer joystick looks cool
Yeah it does, damn! Need to find some hp somewhere. The rotation control is something else!

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:29 pm

I have a Planar and a Choices and the Choices has been my preferred go-to for years, despite the extra bells and whistles on the Planar.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:28 am

I have a Planar 2. It's great. The response is perfect. I have it parked on the left edge of the front row of my 7u performance case, and I sometimes wish I had another for the other side, so I could use them simultaneously, driving my modulation like a submersible through the wreck of the Titanic. But the front-right of my case is where my Tete/Tetrapad are, and I can't justify their removal.

I mostly use the Planar for the vanilla tasks of sending manually controlled modulation into filter cutoffs, PWM controls, exponential FM inputs, and sometimes I use it to split a mono sound into swirly stereo head trips. One feature that receives a surprisingly large amount of use is the gate button, which I use all the time to trigger sounds to send gated modulation to other modules; most recently I used it with the FM parameters and chord input of my Akemie's Castle. It's totally fun.

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:31 am

Erica Black. I want a joystick that doesn't move when I let go of it. Plenty of good possibilities there, too.
Random is the new maRnod

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 am

exper wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm
no spring, and my joystick is a Planar 2. Unbeatable. So may functions and possibilities with it. Can’t beat the ‘sense’ gate, and the feel of it is perfect. Stays where you leave it, not too loose, not too stiff.
I'm curious to hear what you use the "sense" gate for. I've used it to trigger ASR envelopes, especially for processing the joystick's output, but I've always regarded that as a simple use case, and I've wondered what creative ideas others are doing with it.

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am

Jumbuktu wrote:
The joy of modular. Plugging everything everywhere.

Bubbles
Common Wiggler

Post by Bubbles » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am

Overwhelmingly, wrigglers seem to prefer “stays put”. I’m surprised. I’m looking at the Flame JoyRec because I want fast triggers (on X coord) and modulation (on Y coord), then a quick return to zero.

Also like the CV recording option much.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:21 pm

I have the Planar2, a Choices, and 2 Analogue Systems RS-220 joysticks in my rig. All of them are non-spring return sticks now. For me the only reason to have a spring return stick is for pitch bend and modulation depth duties with a standard keyboard, I do none of those.

The Planar2 is a great stick. The memory function is a joy to use and the Quad features will be put to use in the future when gigging comes back. The Choices is a very close second. Straight ahead feature with obvious panel controls and a great feel. The AS stick are very basic. They are very fast though with very little resistance in the sticks. No trigger buttons, which is a drag, and bi-polar only. Very sturdy stick though.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:51 pm

megarat wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 am
exper wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm
I'm curious to hear what you use the "sense" gate for. I've used it to trigger ASR envelopes, especially for processing the joystick's output, but I've always regarded that as a simple use case, and I've wondered what creative ideas others are doing with it.
One thing that is really a blast is using it clouds, where I send the gate to both freeze and wet/dry. So normally, your input goes through unprocessed. But as soon as you touch the joystick, you now have a instant frozen buffer until you stop moving. Assign X and Y to different params on clouds and it make a great real time glitcher effect.

Similarly, I use it with my Rample, where the gate is assigned to the Freeze hold, and X/Y are assigned to the freeze parameter and anything else on it.

It's also great for triggering sample/holds and logic, as a sort of dice roll after each joystick movement.

You can also pair it with some VCAs, and use the gate to open them. Then when you pass through the x and y of the joystick, they will only affect the destination mode while the joystick is active.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. I especially like your suggesting for using it with sample/holds and logic, I'll give that a try.

Just as I walked away from the computer after making my last post, I remembered the use of the sense gate with VCAs, and I've wondered if that was the primary inspiration behind that feature's inclusion: to shut off the joystick when you're not moving it, perhaps to simulate a self-centering joystick (with the main difference being that the X/Y values aren't truly at zero, they're just being silenced).

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:18 pm

I've had Planar2 a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love its feel and functions. The only thing that it misses is a way to save more than one recording and switch between them that would be nice. Of course there are lots of options to do this with additional modules though.

The joystick is super, tactile, beautiful - I like that it doesn't have a spring as I find more uses/flexibility with it stopped. Planar2 can just do so much and you can really patch and self-patch it creatively. I've been praising many times because it blows my mind how it can also do pseudo-wavetables with an external wave to the scrub mode CV1. It can do some extreme digital harsh sounds that way!

benlindell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benlindell » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Another strong vote for Choices, the stick feels great and super easy to dial in amount and bias.

Bubbles
Common Wiggler

Post by Bubbles » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Love the discussion. Thanks for chiming in. Best thing about MW is that the only discouraged questions from newbs are those left un-asked.

docile fossil
Common Wiggler

Post by docile fossil » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:01 pm

mentioned a few times already, but just look at this healthy-ass chungus:

a1744_.png
a1744_.png (132.07 KiB) Viewed 957 times

some might say, dummy thicc

got to fiddle with a Flame Joyrec last week and it's a blast.
::/:..:
.:..:\.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Holy crap. That looks huge.

Bubbles
Common Wiggler

Post by Bubbles » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 pm

I think the other joysticks will resent you if you bring home the new Doepfer. You could try pleading with them to keep an open mind, but in the end, they know who you’ll play with most.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Noticed this product from Transient Modules the other day. Always wanted a good joystick controller for modulation but never had the room. Planar 2 seems very attractive but this might give me what I'm looking for (if the actual joystick doesn't suck that is):

Return to “Eurorack Modules”